AH Video Games

I remember playing a game about ship command set in an alt-WW2 where Germany had won the first war(in an ASB fashion, but eh). It was called Enigma: Rising Tide. It was quite difficult, but still pretty fun. Submarines were HARD to play.

The old Talonsoft Battlegrounds games had some alternate-history scenarios for their battle simulators. In the Waterloo battle, for example, there was a scenario where the Prussians were not coming, so Wellington would have to defend his position without their aid. Another one was where both the Prussians and Grouchy showed up, and the Battle started when Napoleon wanted it to, so it ens up being a much larger battle than it was.

Warfront Turning Point,Alternate WWII,Hitler is dead and the game starts as you are expeling the nazis from the UK,develops in a 3 way war eventualy ,alies plus german remants against the soviets,it was fun!

Some good AH games I played:
-Freedom Fighters: more like Red Dawn in the ATL 2000's where a hyperpower Soviet Union invades a weakened USA; pretty good gameplay.
-Wargame European Escalation: RTS game about WWIII breaking out in different dates in the late 20th century; not your typical RTS game since you have to play it differently (especially when it comes to preserving your units lest you lose them quickly and their replacements are limited; though its more tolerable than Fire Emblem's handling of units IMO).
-Making History II and Great War: probably the best turn based takes on the two big wars of the 20th century; though the games can take pretty weird turns so to say and that the gameplay is addicting.

One bad AH game I played:
-Turning Point: Fall of Liberty: pretty awesome concept that's almost like Freedom Fighters except in the 1950's against Nazi Germany but the gameplay and design is pretty weak; even to this day I'm still baffled at why the developers put low effort into this (and there's not even an assault rifle in the game despite being teased in the concept arts(!!!)).

As far as AH games go, the complete collection of IL-2 Sturmovik - with the added 1946 expansion pack - features some great rare and unrealised late WWII era aircraft. Have a trailer... ;) (Specific aircraft showcase starting at 5:21.) Obviously, you also get several official missions and campaigns set in an alternate 1946, where the prolonged world war has led to the debuts and increased usage of these experimental aircraft. German techwank is largely subdued to reasonable levels, and you also get a Glorious Soviet Superscience wank !

Crimson Skies: Prohibition leads to the United States and Canada splitting into over 10 different factions from the Nation of Hollywood to the Industrial States of America. With the interstate highway system impossible Dieselpunk leads to zeppelins and all kinds of aircraft developing mixing in state air militias, air pilots, and air mercenaries into the mix. You play one particular air merc who fights a plot by the Nazis to takeover the country.

Nick P

Donor
A couple of games I don't see mentioned anywhere...

Shattered Union. Released in 2005 by PopTop, this game has President Adams elected in 2008, initiating martial law in 2010 and stealing the 2012 election. Washington gets nuked on Inauguration Night wiping out the US Govt. The USA then breaks up into 7 factions including the EU and Russia, all fighting to take over. Hex tile, turn based fighting with pretty graphics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shattered_Union

People's General. Released in 1998 by Strategic Simulations. The People's Republic of China invades Taiwan and sinks the US 7th Fleet in the process. The US and NATO go to war to defend Russia and stop China. You can play as either side in a range of scenarios. Hex tile, turn based, lots of futuristic units.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_General

The soldiers in the game are all using semi autos and even automatic weapons in a time period when the bolt action was the most common weapon available and machine guns needed to be deployed to fire. I wouldn't mind them in the game if they were high level unlocks, but you literally start with them.

You would not be wearing medieval knight armor and hip firing a MG08 like a WW1 version of Heavy Weapons Guy back then.

Last edited:
Codename: STEAM is an ASB alternate history steampunk game where Lincoln is never assassinated. Then, in the middle of his second term, Cthulhu invades, prompting Lincoln to gather up a team of Victorian era folk heroes to save the world. It's ridiculous, but fun to play and I do get a kick out of the alternate scenario.