Vancouver Canucks

Norris Division
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Rockies
Houston Aeros
Minnesota North Stars
St Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

Comments apricated! Would you change anything?

Last edited:
The San Diego team is not going to last long unless a replacement for the San Diego Sports Arena is built as it seats less than 14,000 for hockey.
San Diego if I remember correctly was only days or weeks from getting a NHL franchise when for some reason the operator of the San Diego Arena signed a lease for a WHA team to play in the arena.

The San Diego team is not going to last long unless a replacement for the San Diego Sports Arena is built as it seats less than 14,000 for hockey.
San Diego if I remember correctly was only days or weeks from getting a NHL franchise when for some reason the operator of the San Diego Arena signed a lease for a WHA team to play in the arena.
For the sake of this timeline, let's just say it gets expanded by a few thousand seats to accommodate NHL standards.

New NHL realignment

Adams Division
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Hartford Whalers
Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs

Patrick Division
Atlanta Flames
Cincinnati Stingers
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Washington Capitals

Snythe Division
Calgary Wranglers
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
San Diego Penguins
Seattle Thunderbirds
Vancouver Canucks

Norris Division
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Rockies
Houston Aeros
Minnesota North Stars
St Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

Comments apricated! Would you change anything?
What happened to les Nords?

Feel like I should post something today, so I’ll be having an ask me anything session. Ask me any question you want about this timeline, or just Hockey in general.

Feel like I should post something today, so I’ll be having an ask me anything session. Ask me any question you want about this timeline, or just Hockey in general.
1: Is the NHL done expanding for the rest of the 80s? what about relocation?
2: With New Jersey grabbing MJ, I wonder how the Chicago Bulls will do without their top guy ITTL?
3: How is the USFL doing, or is that been removed in this timeline? Wonder if the WLAF will still exist?
4: Finally, is the NFL, MLB, or NBA will expand during the 80s or wait?

1: Is the NHL done expanding for the rest of the 80s? what about relocation?
2: With New Jersey grabbing MJ, I wonder how the Chicago Bulls will do without their top guy ITTL?
3: How is the USFL doing, or is that been removed in this timeline? Wonder if the WLAF will still exist?
4: Finally, is the NFL, MLB, or NBA will expand during the 80s or wait?
1. The NHL is probably done with expansions and relocations until 1991, like IRL when the Sharks were added. As for who gets that spot, i don't know who should get ITTL
2. The Bulls got John Stockton as a consolation pick so that could work out.
3. The USFL is still up and running, as Trump never buys the NJ Generals. (who buys them is anyone's guess but the league never moves to the fall without Trump)
4. The NFL Cardinals will still move ITTL, I could move the 1993 MLB expansion up a year or two, and the NBA still adds the Heat, Hornets, Magic and Timberwolves in 1988 and 1989 respectively.

1. The NHL is probably done with expansions and relocations until 1991, like IRL when the Sharks were added. As for who gets that spot, i don't know who should get ITTL
2. The Bulls got John Stockton as a consolation pick so that could work out.
3. The USFL is still up and running, as Trump never buys the NJ Generals. (who buys them is anyone's guess but the league never moves to the fall without Trump)
4. The NFL Cardinals will still move ITTL, I could move the 1993 MLB expansion up a year or two, and the NBA still adds the Heat, Hornets, Magic and Timberwolves in 1988 and 1989 respectively.
Most likely it is Stephen M. Ross who guys the Generals or J. Walter Duncan never sells.

I'd still have the Sharks go first in the 90's expansion because it just feels weird having the Kings and Pens in SoCal without a Bay Area rival.

Rangers seem really mediocre in this timeline lol.
They have some good players, but they play in a tough division with Washington, the Islanders, Philly and Cincy all seeming to be playoff contenders. They will get there someday though. And yes, opposing fans still chant 1940 whenever the Rangers are in town.

Do you have a list of the current stars/big name prospects for each team?
Knowing where each team is on the rebuilder to contender chart would be nice.

1985-86 NHL Regular Season
1985-86 NHL regular season standings
Playoff teams in BOLD

Adams Division
Quebec Nordiques 108 points
Hartford Whalers 107 points
Boston Bruins 88 points
Detroit Red Wings 84 points

Toronto Maple Leafs 81 points
Buffalo Sabres 78 points
Montreal Canadiens 72 points

Patrick Division
Washington Capitals 104 points
New York Islanders 94 points
Cincinnati Stingers 90 points
Philadelphia Flyers 79 points

Atlanta Flames 78 points
New York Rangers 64 points

Snythe Division
Seattle Thunderbirds 106 points
Los Angeles Kings 97 points
Edmonton Oilers 87 points
Calgary Wranglers 80 points

Vancouver Canucks 74 points
San Diego Penguins 57 points

Norris Division
St Louis Blues 112 points
Houston Aeros 110 points
Colorado Rockies 100 points
Winnipeg Jets 92 points

Minnesota North Stars 63 points
Chicago Black Hawks 50 points

The Washington Capitals entered the 1985-86 season determined to prove their success the previous season was no fluke. Capitan Mark Messier led the charge for the Caps as they once again took top spot in the Patrick Division with 104 points. Soviet deflect Vladislav Tretiak also enjoyed a breakout year, setting a new team record with eight shutouts. Meanwhile, the New York Islanders began to decline, finishing second once again with 94 points, while Cincinnati returned to the playoffs thanks to big performances from Larry Murphy and Luc Robitaille. The Flyers just barely edged out the Atlanta Flames on the final day of the regular season, finishing ahead of Atlanta by one point, while the Rangers endured one of the worst seasons in franchise history with only 64 points.

In the Adams, the defending conference champion Quebec Nordiques were eyeing a repeat. With 108 points, the Nordiques were the top team in the Whales while Phil Housley took home top defenseman honours, and Peter Stasney led the team with 102 points, fifth in the league. The Nords trailed Hartford by just one point heading into their final game against Buffalo. After the Whalers lost to Toronto, Quebec had an opportunity to seal top spot. The Sabres, long out of the playoff picture and playing spoiler, held a 2-0 lead over Quebec heading into the third period. Goals from Stasney and JC Trembley tied the game to send it to overtime, where Risto Jalo beat goaltender Don Beaupre to win the game and clinch first place for the Nordiques.

Once again, the Norris was dominated by St Louis, Houston, and Colorado. The Blues finished first in the league, thanks to another big year from Wayne Gretzky, who scored 74 goals. The Houston Aeros also enjoyed another strong year, coming in second with Guy Carbonneau and Dave Andreychuk leading the way offensively while Chris Chelios steady play on the blueline made them a tough team to play against. The Colorado Rockies, in their first year in the Norris fell to third place, while Winnipeg came in fourth.

In San Diego, the Penguins first home game in their new city was not quite as successful. Facing the Seattle Thunderbirds, the Pens never got into the game, losing 9-0. They would be shut out again by Houston in game two before finally redeeming themselves in their second home game with a 3-2 win against Minnesota. Tom O'Regan scored the first goal in San Deigo Penguins history, and the fans gave their new team a standing ovation in the final minutes of the game. It would be one of the only bright spots in the Penguins inaugural season, as the team finished the year one of the worst in the league. In his first season in Seattle, Guy LaFluer lead the T-Birds to another first place finish in the Snythe Division. Los Angeles and Edmonton fished 2nd and 3rd respectively, while the Calgary Wranglers made the playoffs for the first time in team history. "We feel like we can surprise a lot of people." Said Rob Ramage. "It's going to be quite a playoff year."

Comments apricated! How did your team do?

Last edited:
In San Diego, the Penguins first home game in their new city was not quite as successful. Facing the Seattle Thunderbirds, the Pens never got into the game, losing 9-0. They would be shut out again by Houston in game two before finally redeeming themselves in their second home game with a 3-2 win against Minnesota. Tom O'Regan scored the first goal in San Deigo Penguins history, and the fans gave their new team a standing ovation in the final minutes of the game. It would be one of the only bright spots in the Stingrays inaugural season, as the team finished the year one of the worst in the league.
San Diego Stingrays? I think you meant Penguins amigo. Hopefully, they will get better soon.

Glad to see the Stingers doing well so far. Hopefully, they continue their winning ways along with Washington.

San Diego Stingrays? I think you meant Penguins amigo. Hopefully, they will get better soon.

Glad to see the Stingers doing well so far. Hopefully, they continue their winning ways along with Washington.
Sorry, San Diego Stingrays was one of my old fictional baseball teams back in the day. Should be fixed now.