• Miami, FL

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Kansas City, MO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phoenix, AZ

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One front-runner for the name for San Diego's new-ish NHL team would be the "Gulls."

That was the name of a minor league team Willie O'Ree played for about a decade after his time with Boston.
Isn’t Gulls the name of the minor league hockey team currently there?

The name was inactive in the 80s before being revived in 1990 for another minor league team. So you can use it. I take it that the san diego arena will add a few thousand more seats during the offseason?

With san diego taken, does that mean san jose doesn't get a team? If so, does that mean Milwaukee gets in a year earlier in 91?

One front-runner for the name for San Diego's new-ish NHL team would be the "Gulls."

That was the name of a minor league team Willie O'Ree played for about a decade after his time with Boston.
San Diego Gulls would be perfect since the team was popular in the old Western Hockey League.

Sad that Ottawa or Hamilton didn't get the Pens but hopefully Bassett will be granted a team.

The name was inactive in the 80s before being revived in 1990 for another minor league team. So you can use it. I take it that the san diego arena will add a few thousand more seats during the offseason?

With san diego taken, does that mean san jose doesn't get a team? If so, does that mean Milwaukee gets in a year earlier in 91?
San Jose will probably still get a team, but Anaheim will probably not get a team. If Disney gets a team ITTL, it would most likely be in Orlando instead. That means either Tampa or Miami won’t get a team later on. With that said, with the Penguins heading west, The Red Wings and Stingers will move to the Whales conference, as for which division they fit in to, I’m still debating weather to put them in the same division together or not. Also, Colorado and Winnipeg take their place in the Norris as San Diego will be in the Snythe with the other west coast and Alberta teams.

1. Lemieux will be headed to the Maple Leafs since they basically tanked to get him as they finished last in the NHL standings

2. The Penguins future home city is still in doubt. The consensus seems to be that they will play one last season in Pittsburgh then go to either San Diego, Dallas, Hamilton or New Jersey. Maybe Portland (OR) or Phoenix
This is my worst nightmare.

But watching keenly, nonetheless. Great work so far!

Thanks for the positive comment! Sorry about the Pens, Pittsburgh will hopefully get a team again in the 90s or early 2000s.

The best person that can bring hockey back to Pittsburgh would be Dan Rooney since his dad was involved with the Pens early on IOTL.

What a reversal of fortunes for both the Whalers and Penguins here. That being said, I’m shocked that the Penguins are going to San Diego, which is about as hockey friendly as Phoenix, Houston, New Orleans, Tampa, and Miami.

What a reversal of fortunes for both the Whalers and Penguins here. That being said, I’m shocked that the Penguins are going to San Diego, which is about as hockey friendly as Phoenix, Houston, New Orleans, Tampa, and Miami.
San Diego would be better thanks to the new rivalry with the LA Kings.

Phoenix, New Orleans, Tampa, and Miami are different but would work if the team doesn't suck. Houston still has the Aeros ITTL.

Speaking of Tampa, I rather see the Lightning stay ITTL so they can have the feud with Orlando if Disney gets the team during the 1990s.

San Diego would be better thanks to the new rivalry with the LA Kings.

Phoenix, New Orleans, Tampa, and Miami are different but would work if the team doesn't suck. Houston still has the Aeros ITTL.

Speaking of Tampa, I rather see the Lightning stay ITTL so they can have the feud with Orlando if Disney gets the team during the 1990s.
As a fan of Hockey in the South, I can relate to this, it just needs to be done right. If you have a winning team, fans show up but if you don’t... yeah. A Tampa-Orlando rivalry sounds interesting for sure. It could happen, but I have no timetable for 90s expansion and who gets in at what time.

With Tampa and Orlando you could have an Interstate 4 rivalry.

San Jose and Pittsburgh should be atop an expansion list. A good spot for a new arena to replace the Igloo would pretty much be the OTL site of the PPG arena.

With Tampa and Orlando you could have an Interstate 4 rivalry.

San Jose and Pittsburgh should be atop an expansion list. A good spot for a new arena to replace the Igloo would pretty much be the OTL site of the PPG arena.
Dallas is also atop that expansion list. Has an NHL ready arena, the Houston Aeros have had success and they nearly got a team ITTL via relocation.

Loving the new more detailed format!

I do want to mention though the the role of Commissioner wasn’t created until Bettman came in, in such a position until the 90s. It was the President of the Board until then.

This is something I’ve only noticed now but it’s the Wales Conference and Smythe Division. Wales named after the Prince of Wales trophy and Smythe named after after hockey legend Conn Smythe.

Last edited:
1985 NHL Conference Finals
1985 NHL Conference Finals

Campbell Conference Finals
Colorado vs St Louis

Few gave the Rockies a chance facing St Louis in the Western Conference Finals. Sure enough, they would find themselves facing elimination in game six. After the Blues opened the scoring late in the second period, Doug Gilmour tied the game just minutes into the third before unlikely hero Ken Lieter gave Colorado the lead. The Rockies held on for a 3-1 win to force game seven in St Louis. Game seven would be a wild one. The Blues, on goals from Wayne Gretzky, Mike Gartner, and Dan Held, jumped to a 3-0 lead. The lead held until early in the third period, when Gilmour, Dale Hawerchuk, and Neal Broten each scored to bring the game back to a tie. With the clock running down and overtime approaching, the Blues Bernie Federko suddenly scored to give the Blues the lead. Seconds later, Gretzky hit the empty net to seal the victory and send St Louis back to Stanley Cup Finals.

Whales Conference Finals
Washington vs Quebec

After some frustrating years to begin their NHL tenure, the Capitals finally had a true opportunity to win a championship, with their first Whales Conference Final appearance in team history. Early in the series, the Capitals came out strong, winning game one with a late third period goal from Jari Kurri. In game two, Mark Messier continued his strong play with a hat-trick in a 7-4 victory. Heading home, the Nordiques made a change, putting rookie goalie Craig Billington in net for game three. Billington earned a shutout in a 2-0 win, then stopped 39 shots in game four in a 4-1 win to tie the series. Billington's solid play continued in game five while Peter Stasney scored in overtime to give Quebec the series lead as The Capitals could not solve the Nords young goaltender. In game six, Washington opened the scoring on a goal from Kurri, but Phil Housley, Borje Salming, and Dave Ellet each scored to give the Nordiques a 3-1 win and send them to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Comments appreciated! Were set up for a great finals!

1985 Stanley Cup Finals
The 1985 Stanley Cup Finals would pit the St. Louis Blues, a team looking for their second straight title, against the Quebec Nordiques, a team looking for their first title in team history. The Nordiques run to the finals further established their cult-like following across Canada’s French-speaking community as devout fans from Victoria, BC to Prince Edward Island and everywhere in between made the journey to Quebec City throughout the playoffs to watch “French Canada's Team”.
Quebec even had fans across the continent as the finals began, as fans became tired of St. Louis’ domination. This did not bother the Blues, however, who willingly embraced the “villain” role. “We really couldn’t care less what other fans are saying.” Said Wayne Gretzky the morning of Game one. “The way I see it, if fans outside our city hate us, we’re doing something right. It’s going to be quite a series.”
The Blues set the tone for the series early on, winning games one and two at home with Gretzky and Mike Gartner continuing to carry the team. Back in Quebec City for game three, the teams were welcomed by fans lining up on the streets of Quebec City, cheering their team on. Le Colisee nearly shook itself to pieces with the deafening crowd noise throughout the game as Peter Stastny scored twice, while Phil Housley, Dave Ellet, and Paul Baxter each scored as well in a 5-3 Quebec win. Game four would go into overtime as Andy Moog and Roland Melanson both stood on their heads in the nets, keeping their teams alive. Halfway through overtime number two, The Quebec crowd reached a whole new level of loud when longtime Nordique and fan-favorite J.C. Trembley ended the game with a breakaway goal. The series was now a best-of-three.
Heading back home for game five, St. Louis knew they needed a big performance from their dynamic duo to regain control of the series. Wayne Gretzky was held to just one goal in Quebec as the Nordiques checkers did a brilliant job shutting him down while Mike Gartner was held to just one assist. It was Larry Robinson who stepped up for the Blues in game five, scoring twice and adding an assist on a Bernie Federko goal as St. Louis regained the series lead with a 4-2 victory. The St. Louis crowd game their team a standing ovation in the hopes that the Blues would return from Quebec City with their second straight Cup.
Back in Quebec City for game six, the Nordiques played admirably with their backs against the wall. St Louis went up 2-0 early thanks to goals from Gartner and Robinson. Late in the second period, Quebec pulled within one on a goal from Borje Salming. Just seconds into the third, however, Robinson scored his second of the game to give St Louis a 3-1 lead. The Nordiques tried furiously to tie the game, peppering Roland Melanson with shots throughout the third, but Melanson was more than up for the challenge. Time eventually wound down and the Blues players poured off the bench and mobbed Melanson. Despite their disappointment, the sellout crowd Le Colisee gave their team a standing ovation in appreciation for what the Nordiques accomplished. As John Ziegler handed Wayne Gretzky the Stanley Cup, the Blues mobbed their captain, all trying to touch the Cup. For the second year in a row, the St Louis Blues were Stanley Cup Champions.

Makes sense that the Blues would go back to back but I don’t think they’ll have an Oilers like domination of the 80s since the talent is a lot more spread out ITTL.

I do wonder what Gretzky is doing for American hockey being in the spotlight there from the beginning.