• Miami, FL

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Kansas City, MO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phoenix, AZ

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
MLB: For the first time since 1908, the Chicago Cubs are Word Series champions over the favored Detroit Tigers in seven games. In the bottom of the ninth of game 7, Ryan Sandberg hit a dramatic home run into left field to win the game and the series for Chicago which sent Wrigley Field (and the entire North Side) into pandemonium.

NBA: For the fourth time in the 80s, the Boston Celtics are NBA Champions, winning the championship over the cinderella Kansas City Kings in a 4 game sweep. Despite the loss, the city of Kansas City had a parade and rally for the team. Many NBA fans thought they would be moving to Sacramento, CA but all that will be erased after the run to the Finals. Meanwhile, Larry Bird won another finals MVP putting up 37 points a game on average. After the season, the San Diego Clippers were moved to Sacramento instead of the Kings.
Nice to see the Cubs not being a joke and finally winning a World Series decades before OTL did.

So with the Kansas City Kings staying, why did racist ***hole decide to move the Clippers to Sacramento instead of Los Angeles? Unless the team found new ownership? I'm a bit lost on this?

Nice to see the Cubs not being a joke and finally winning a World Series decades before OTL did.

So with the Kansas City Kings staying, why did racist ***hole decide to move the Clippers to Sacramento instead of Los Angeles? Unless the team found new ownership? I'm a bit lost on this?
Donald Sterling tried to move them to LA but the NBA denied the move. He then sold the team out of frustration to the same buyers who moved the NBA Kings to Sacramento IRL. So there. (Also, Lamar Hunt (Chiefs owner) bought the Kings shortly after the Finals.)

Donald Sterling tried to move them to LA but the NBA denied the move. He then sold the team out of frustration to the same buyers who moved the NBA Kings to Sacramento IRL. So there. (Also, Lamar Hunt (Chiefs owner) bought the Kings shortly after the Finals.)

Meanwhile in Sacramento:

MGgc.gif

This is an interesting TL even if the divergence point is a bit ASB. I’m also a little disappointed you don’t put more detail into the draft, regular season and league business but I suppose that the amount you are doing is what you feel comfortable with and allows you to change things down the road more easily if you don’t reveal everything. Either way I’m thoroughly enjoying this.

For the Pens, Vegas wouldn’t work. The NHL in OTL didn’t want to be the first major sports league to move there when Kermanos was moving the Whalers.

This is an interesting TL even if the divergence point is a bit ASB. I’m also a little disappointed you don’t put more detail into the draft, regular season and league business but I suppose that the amount you are doing is what you feel comfortable with and allows you to change things down the road more easily if you don’t reveal everything. Either way I’m thoroughly enjoying this.

For the Pens, Vegas wouldn’t work. The NHL in OTL didn’t want to be the first major sports league to move there when Kermanos was moving the Whalers.
Welcome to the series! Glad you’re enjoying it! It’s honestly a little more comfortable for me to focus on the big headlines rather than everything that happened during the season. Plus, it makes it a little more suspenseful for the reader that way.

As for Pittsburgh, Vegas is definitely a long shot that will probably not happen. It would just be a little fun if it happened though.

Understandable. I wasn’t asking for the nitty gritty so to speak. Just some more interesting headlines like budding rivalries or big scoring nights for players or big victories for goalies. Especially since some of the big players in OTL might not be that big in ITTL.

1984-85 NHL Regular Season
1984-85 NHL Regular Season Standings
Playoff teams in BOLD

Adams Division
Hartford Whalers 103 points
Quebec Nordiques 100 points
Buffalo Sabres 88 points
Boston Bruins 84 points

Montreal Canadiens 80 points
Toronto Maple Leafs 66 points

Patrick Division
Washington Capitals 103 points
New York Islanders 99 points
Atlanta Flames 85 points
Philadelphia Flyers 78 points

New York Rangers 74 points
Pittsburgh Penguins 53 points

Snythe Division
Seattle Thunderbirds 102 points
Colorado Rockies 98 points
Los Angeles Kings 97 points
Winnipeg Jets 89 points

Calgary Wranglers 81 points
Edmonton Oilers 74 points
Vancouver Canucks 66 points

Norris Division
Houston Aeros 115 points
St Louis Blues 114 points
Minnesota North Stars 80 points
Detroit Red Wings 76 points

Cincinnati Stingers 72 points
Chicago Black Hawks 55 points

The 1984-85 season was characterized mainly by large gaps between the top teams and the bottom teams. The balance of power continued to shift as 70s powerhouses like Winnipeg and Montreal continued to decline, while newer clubs like Colorado and Quebec finally began having success. The regular season, however, would belong to the Houston Aeros, who had not finished first in their division or in the League in their brief NHL history. Houston finished with 115 points while Guy Carbonneau led the league in scoring with 101 points. Pelle Lindberg enjoyed one of his most spectacular seasons in net, setting a new NHL record with 12 shutouts. The defending champion St. Louis Blues mounted a serious challenge for the Aeros, finishing with 114 points to settle for second in the Norris as Wayne Gretzky continued his strong play with 100 points. In February, the two teams met at the Summit in Houston in an epic showdown between the league’s two top players. Wayne Gretzky enjoyed his first five-goal game of his career as the Blues led Houston 5-2 after two periods. Carbonneau had one of Houston’s goals. In the third, Carbonneau exploded for four more goals to complete a five-goal game of his own as the Aeros completed the comeback. It was the first time in NHL history that two players each scored five goals in one game.

In the Adams, Hartford won the Division once again, but all eyes were on the Quebec Nordiques. The Nords toiled in last place until Christmas before Phil Housley and the Stastny Brothers caught fire. The trio lead Quebec to 18 straight victories and a miraculous second place finish in the Adams Division. Montreal's decline continued as Guy LaFluer and friends was hampered by injuries and missed the playoffs for the first time since 1970, while Boston just barely made the playoffs despite winning finishing with under 85 points for the first time in years.

In the Snythe Division, the Coffey/Langway and the Seattle Thunderbirds once again emerged as the team to beat, chalking up 102 points. The Colorado Rockies, after years of being a dumpster fire, were the surprise team of the year, coming in second with 98 points as newly-acquired goaltender Richard Brodeur was just barely edged out by Pelle Lindberg for top goaltender. Los Angeles once again enjoyed a strong season, while Winnipeg returned to the post-season despite the decline of Kent Nilsson and the Swedish Express.

The Patrick division saw the Washington Capitals win their first division title in Franchise History. Led by Mark Messier, Jari Kurri and Vladislav Tretiak, the Caps had a breakout year, unseating the aging Islanders to win the division. The Flyers returned to the playoffs after being dormant for most of the early 80s as Brett Hull took home rookie of the year just barely over Toronto's Mario Lemieux. In Pittsburgh, it was a tough season as they finished last in the league standings in possibly the teams final year in Western Pennsylvania. The team played it's last home game on March 29th, a 4-0 loss to the Atlanta Flames with just 1,530 fans at the Igloo that day,

Comments apricated! How did your team do?

Prospective Penguins buyers

Charles Butt: 47 years old, Heir to the H-E-B Supermarket chain. Wants a team in Dallas.

Barron Hilton: 57 years old, Chairman of the Hilton Hotel Corp. Founder and co-owner of the NFL's San Diego Chargers

John Basset: 69 years old, Canadian Businessman and Politician. Looking to bring a team to Hamilton or Ottawa

Jerry Colangelo: 45 years old, Owner and GM of the NBA's Phoenix Suns

John McMullen: 66 years old, Shipping Tycoon based in New Jersey

Hugh Culverhouse: 65 years years old, Owner of the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Fred Anderson: Sacramento-based Lumber Magnate. Currently, the city is home to the NBA's Clippers (moved there instead of LA)

Jim Fitzgerald: 59 years old, Owner of the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks. Milwaukee is also home to the MLB's Brewers

George Shinn: 41 years old, North-Carolina based businessman. Wants a team in Charlotte

I would go with, in order, Bassett, Mcmullen, Hilton and butt. Milwaukee can get the expansion team in 92 alongside ottawa instead of tampa bay. This is the perfect opportunity for hamilton, as the tigers are a historic name in the NHL and copps colisseum opens in 85.

Keep Hugh Culverhouse the fuck away from the Penguins--he drove the Tampa Bay Buccaneers into the ground and ruined Bo Jackson's college baseball eligibility, causing him to refuse to sign with Tampa Bay (though, unlike some other athletes who refused to sign with teams (Eli Manning) he had good reason to refuse to sign with Tampa Bay)...

I would go with, in order, Bassett, Mcmullen, Hilton and butt. Milwaukee can get the expansion team in 92 alongside ottawa instead of tampa bay. This is the perfect opportunity for hamilton, as the tigers are a historic name in the NHL and copps colisseum opens in 85.
Hamilton would be a good spot, the only problem for it (and New Jersey) is that there are multiple teams nearby. Toronto and Buffalo are only about 50 miles from Hamilton and New Jersey is close to the Rangers, Islanders and Whalers. I'll have to make my decision later on.

Loved the extra detail! Do you keep track of where you have players?

As for the Pens buyers I could see it coming down to New Jersey (like OTL), Dallas (due to how good the Aeros have been) or Hamilton (but it may be the hardest one due to Buffalo and Toronto).

Loved the extra detail! Do you keep track of where you have players?

As for the Pens buyers I could see it coming down to New Jersey (like OTL), Dallas (due to how good the Aeros have been) or Hamilton (but it may be the hardest one due to Buffalo and Toronto).
I just have players stored in a notebook, though i might need to buy a new one because I'm running out of space. I figured you'd like the extra detail. Playoffs are coming either tonight or tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Don't worry the Scubs will always be a joke
Yeah, but my Padres have been a much bigger joke IOTL.
Try the fans of Texas Rangers or Philadelphia Phillies. Honestly feel bad for them IOTL.

I just have players stored in a notebook, though i might need to buy a new one because I'm running out of space. I figured you'd like the extra detail. Playoffs are coming either tonight or tomorrow, so stay tuned!
I actually never thought about doing that. You don't mind if I DM you later? I need some help with my TL.

1985 NHL Playoffs: Rounds 1 and 2
1985 NHL Playoffs: First and second rounds
(Authors note: I changed the first round from a best-of-five to a best-of-seven two years early. It just felt right)

One of the top teams during the regular season, the Hartford Whalers flew under the radar through much of the year, barely getting a mention in the media. “We definitely feel under recognized, maybe even a little disrespected” said captain Ray Bourque. “I think we’re at that point where this team is capable of winning another championship and I think the people who didn’t give us much credit this year will see what this team is really about.” The Whalers faced adversity almost immediately, facing the Boston Bruins in the first round of the playoffs. After winning game one, the Whalers dropped games two and three to a Bruins team equally desperate to prove themselves. Game four in Boston was a virtual must-win for Hartford. Boston took an early 1-0 lead on a goal from Michel Goulet, but Grant Fuhr stood tall in the Whaler net, refusing to allow the Bruins to take a 2-goal lead. Finally, spurred by the performance of their goaltender, the Whalers tied it on a big goal from Ulf Samuelsson. A pair of quick goals in the third from Bourque and Ric Nettles went on to win the game for Hartford to tie the series. In Connecticut for game five, Bruins veteran Bob Schmatz scored what proved to be the winner while Gilles Gilbert made 38 saves to give Boston a 3-2 lead and a chance to eliminate the two-time defending Conference champs.
Game six would be a higher-scoring affair than the rest of the series had been, with a six goal explosion in the first period that left the teams tied at 3-3. The scoring slowed down in the second period, with Wally Weir’s goal near the end of the period giving Hartford a 4-3 lead. The lead held until a minute remaining in the third period, when Boston pulled Gilbert for the extra attacker. The tactic worked as Roger Kortko tied the game for the Bruins. After leading throughout the second half of the game, the Whalers were now just one bounce away from elimination. Just seven minutes into the first overtime however, Bourque hit Dave Lumley with a stretch pass, springing Lumley on a breakaway. He made no mistake, beating Gilbert for the winner to send it to game seven. Game seven would go to overtime as well, though this time it would not end near as quickly. Both Fuhr and Gilbert were seemingly unbeatable through three extra periods as the game went beyond midnight local time. Three minutes into the fourth overtime, there was a scramble in front of the Boston net. Samuelsson dug the puck out and threw a pass to Lumley, who buried it for his second consecutive overtime winner to eliminate the Bruins. The Hartford crowd erupted, while the Bruins season ended.

Elsewhere in the Whales Conference, the Quebec Nordiques continued their hot streak, defeating the Buffalo Sabres in six games. Washington swept Philadelphia and Atlanta swept the New York Islanders, the only real upset in the Whales.

After taking first place in the Snythe Division, the Seattle Thunderbirds hoped to redeem themselves in the playoffs. Fans figured it would be relatively easy as the T-Birds faced the aging Winnipeg Jets in the first round. In game one, the Jets stunned the Thunderbirds 4-2. Game two would go into overtime, where Kent Nilsson scored for Winnipeg, silencing the crowd at the Seattle Coliseum in what would go on to be the final home game of the Seattle season. The Jets went on to win another overtime thriller in game three before completing the sweep and one of the biggest upsets of the decade.

The Minnesota North Stars also got themselves into a tight spot in their series against the St Louis Blues. The Blues managed to take a 3-1 lead in the series, putting the Stars on their heels in game five. Minnesota had to overcome a 2-0 deficit to survive game five, with Al MacInnes's hat-trick turning the game around before Jim Culhane sealed the win with an empty-netter. Game six nearly went into overtime, when Larry Robinson scored for St Louis in the final minutes to push them into the second round. In other Campbell Conference action, the Houston Aeros beat the Detroit Red Wings and the Colorado Rockies defeated the Los Angeles Kings, both in five games.

The Colorado Rockies ran into immediate trouble against the Winnipeg Jets. Winnipeg jumped ahead to a 2-0 series lead with Joe Daly appearing to be nearly unbeatable in the Winnipeg goal. Now needing to win at least two games in Winnipeg, the Rockies backs were against the wall heading into game three. Dale Hawechuk scored twice in a 4-3 Colorado win, followed by another dominating win in game four to tie the series. Heading home with all the momentum now going their way, the Rockies now had an opportunity to take the series lead. Scott Stevens scored in overtime to give the Rockies the win and a chance to close out the series in Winnipeg. The Rockies came back from a 2-0 deficit in game six, earning another 3-2 win and advancing to the Campbell Conference Finals for the first time in team history. The St Louis Blues also faced an uphill battle in their series against Houston. It seemed that the Blues were playing the whole series from behind. After coming back from a 2-0 deficit, the Blues struggles in the Lone Star State continued in game five, as Houston once again took the series lead. A big 2-0 victory at home sent the series to game seven, where the their Texas woes finally came to an end in a 5-3 win.

In the Whales Conference, Washington got a scare when the Atlanta Flames took a 2-1 series lead. Beginning in game four, however, Mark Messier took the team on his back, scoring two goals in game four, a goal and an assist in game five, and two more goals in a 4-0 win in game six to send Washington to their first conference final in team history.

Meanwhile, the Nordiques and Whalers played a great Adams Final. Heavily favored to win the Whales Conference title, the Whalers appeared to be in control of the series. Despite dropping game two at home, Hartford dominated the Nordiques at both ends of the ice throughout the first three games, taking a 2-1 series lead. In game four they ran into trouble, giving up a 2-0 lead in the third period as Quebec took the game 3-2. Game five went to overtime and Ron Handy ended it just 28 seconds in with a booming shot from the point, giving the Whalers a chance to take the series in game six. In game six in Quebec City, the Nords never let Hartford into the game. The Stansty Brothers each scored while Phil Housley scored twice in a 4-1 Quebec win. Game seven was close, going into overtime with the two teams tied 1-1. Both goaltenders, Grant Fuhr and Andy Moog were spectacular as one overtime turned into two. Finally, with one minute to go in the second overtime, Nordiques defenseman Borje Salming beat Fuhr with a hard shot to send the Nordiques to the Whales Conference Finals.

Comments appreciated! What do think of the new format?

Last edited:
PENS BUYER ANNOUNCED

At it's New York headquarters, the National Hockey League has made an announcement that they've finally found a buyer for the financially ailing Pittsburgh Penguins. Canadian Businessman John Bassett was the front runner to buy the club. When territorial concerns threw cold water on Bassett's bid, another bid from San Diego interests was accepted by the league which is in the midst of it's 1985 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should the San Diego bid be approved by the other NHL owners, the struggling Penguins will be owned by and investment group with hotel chain boss Barron Hilton acting as the managing general partner.

- The Associated Press
May 5th, 1985

PENS GONE FOR GOOD

What was once a promising future on ice is now replaced by daydreams of what could've been. Last Friday, Commissioner John Ziegler of the National Hockey League officially put his rubber stamp on the erstwhile Pittsburgh Penguins migration to San Diego, California effective immediately. Rumors persisted months ago that the team would be sold to Hamilton, Ontario interests, only to be dashed by worries of territorial expenses incurred by clubs like Toronto and Buffalo. The bid by hotel owner Barron Hilton, also owner of the NFL's Chargers was approved unanimously by the NHL owners.

- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
May 12th, 1985

FAST-GROWING SPORT COMES TO SAN DIEGO

Television ratings for the National Hockey League (NHL) have been on the up for quite a while. Now, San Diegoans have a team they can call their own. But the question is what will be the new nickname of the team previously known as the Pittsburgh Penguins. We will hold a contest for fans to submit names by phone or mail. The franchise will set up shop at the San Diego Sports Arena beginning this fall.

- San Diego Union-Tribune
May 13th, 1985

One front-runner for the name for San Diego's new-ish NHL team would be the "Gulls."

That was the name of a minor league team Willie O'Ree played for about a decade after his time with Boston.