AH Outage (08/24/18)

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by TheImperialTheorist, Aug 25, 2018.

1. TheImperialTheorist To theorize & imagine worlds of possibilities.

Ah.com went down... again.

unclepatrick likes this.
  2. Lalli Well-Known Member

But at least it lasted only about one hour. And first time it happened when I was looged in. Fortunately I wasn't writing anything or didn't happened when I was posting something.

TheImperialTheorist likes this.
  3. Gabzcervo Creator of Rivers Among the Stars

Unfortunately for me, i can't access to this website and i was unable to check any threads due to problems or complications when i was trying to check the updates.

4. Talwar Ontario Mountain Man

The Fortress of Bureaucratic Incompetence
    Sites go down sometimes.

We endure.

5. John Fredrick Parker Donor

And the latest.

6. CaekDaemon The Dragon Commander Donor

This one went down whilst I was writing a post at around half eight this morning, so around ten hours by my reckoning. Almost feels like the downtimes are getting closer together! :p

7. Viper91 Donor

I noticed it went down around 4AM eastern time, and I've only gotten here in the last half hour, so roughly 9 hours or so down for me. I went in and cleared my search history and everything, so I don't know if anything was possibly on my end. This was the first outage I've seen that's had a direct impact for me.

8. lionhead Pretty fly for a white guy

are you considering to seek counseling?

9. Viper91 Donor

Not seeing a reason to, no. At the time I first noticed the outage this morning, I was actually about to turn in, so I was asleep over the majority of this outage.

This is however the first outage I've personally experienced. It also puts holes in one theory I've had that the amount of traffic on the forum might have caused previous crashes, but that early in the morning things here are normally fairly quiet. I've seen a couple other forums run into trouble at times of heavy traffic, but that may not be the case here.

10. Vinization Ele não!

Why do these outages happen? Is it one continuous issue in the system that can't be treated? Overload? Maintenance?

11. Mosshadow Well-Known Member

Is it just me or are they getting more often?

12. Lalli Well-Known Member

I have same feeling. Hopefully this not be bad sign.

13. PoeFacedKilla A Literal Mad Scientist

Next time just use this: http://www.websitedown.info/alternatehistory.com

I think Ian said something about it being automatic reboots failing every once and a while (maybe after an update,) so he has to go in and manually restart the server.

Dan1988 likes this.
  14. Viper91 Donor

The forum is due, or possibly overdue, for an upgrade, and Ian is aware of the matter from what I've read in other outage threads.

The biggest problem seems to be that due to work and whatever family, friends and other real life stuff he has to deal with he just hasn't had time. Based on experience from several other forums and websites I frequent, a major upgrade like that can possibly take a couple of days or longer to do it right.

Any major upgrade or overhaul would also probably cost a fair bit of money also. I've no idea what Ian's finances are like and really don't care, but even if he's fairly well off, depending on his other real life needs and obligations, dropping $200 or $500 or whatever at the drop of a hat might not be possible or practical without several days or possibly several weeks of planning ahead of time. Not if you want to do it right at any rate.

Dan1988 likes this.
  15. PoeFacedKilla A Literal Mad Scientist

This is why he should run open source software, the upgrade might still take awhile but at least it doesn't cost anything (other than maybe a donation here and there.)

Zagan likes this.
  16. nbcman Donor

Based off the donation drive last year, there was over $1200 raised for 2018 expenses which did not include monthly donations. I don’t think it’s a money issue.
    Relevant post by Ian the Admin:
    https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/donations.412444/page-10#post-14488632

Zagan likes this.
  17. lionhead Pretty fly for a white guy

Oh you lucky bastard. i was on all kinds of pills to keep my sanity.:biggrin:

No these outages aren't caused by traffic. They are at random times and have random lengths. Like you said this forum is in need of an upgrade or cleanup. Like some said he has had pleny of donations for it.

18. theg*ddam*hoi2fan Beware of the Leopard

Under a bridge, handing out business cards
    They're random, and the amount of time between can vary, but they average about once a month. Which I can live with, as long as the other days of said month I get to post, read and talk to you wonderful people :D I'd only be worried if it became more than once a month. As some of my friends who're involved in RPG forums and such have found with theirs...

19. PoeFacedKilla A Literal Mad Scientist

It might not actually be a bad idea for Ian to open up a non-profit or an LLC if he's worried about taxes (and constant donations being an issue.)

20. mspence Well-Known Member

Tap, tap, tap...is this thing on?:p