AH Novels to Avoid

Well, I haven't read nearly as many as I should have, but Turtuledove's Colonization and Atlantis series were disappointing. Colonization was annoying because nothing really changed and it was somewhat unrealistic and cliche (he basically handed the Nazi's and Americans the idiot ball). Atlantis started out good, but the last two books were too predictable and bland for my tastes. They're worth a read, but not paying full price for.

I haven't read much by Conroy (most of the summaries turned me away) but I did enjoy "Himmler's War"

Most AH books won't be as plausible as the timelines here; authors aren't mercilessly critiqued as they write!

Anybody who has written anything here, IS better than Conroy!!!! 1901 is just crap and Red Inferno is so bad I coundn't finish it and then chucked it away. It isn't good enough for a jumble sale!

That's what I like about writing. Somebody doesn't have to read what the author writes, they just have to buy it for the royalties to roll on in.

I've read a few of Conroy's books and consider them escapist AH. QUOTE]

I agree, I've read 1945 and 1942 and both were readible yarns.

I'm with Grey Wolf about the "avoid" thing. People have different tastes in fiction (yes people, AH is fiction, not scholarship) and what I don't like, others might enjoy. So if a book sounds interesting to you, get it for free at a library or cheap at a used book sale.

I can't think of any one AH novel I would absolutely tell people to avoid.

However, if we broadened the definition of AH to include ISOTs, I would warn everyone to stay away from the "Destroyermen" series. I don't know how anybody could possibly manage to ruin an ISOT with Japanese battlecruisers, Zeppelins, British Imperialists, and intelligent dinosaurs but the nameless author of Destroyermen did it. I started gagging two pages into the first one and put it back on the library shelf.

I think Turtledove's Atlantis series is a good candidate to stay away from, though. I made it thru 1 1/2 books and never really understood why anyone would write these books, or if they did, why they would make them so boring.

Speaking of Conroy, is it just me or are a lot of his books rehashes of other AHs: 1862 being a retread of Henry Harrison's Stars and Stripes trilogy, Himmler's War being that of Fox on the Rhine, 1920: America's Great War being a retread of an old books during World War I about a German invasion of America etc?

Also I nominate By Force of Arms by Billy Bragg which seems very implausible, and a retread of How Few Remain http://www.amazon.com/By-Force-Arms-Billy-Bennett/dp/147933717X/ref=pd_sim_b_17

I recommend skipping all the sex scenes in Harry Turtledove novels.
i typically do that anyway ;) in general, i disagree about Atlantis being avoided, but that's just me. i like reading about the ecology of Atlantis, partly in figuring out what is analogous to what.

1901 was one of the first out and out AH novels I'd read, and I rather liked it. Didn't really care for anything else he wrote though...

Don't read Turtledove's 'The War That Came Early'. I hate to say it, but it's the first series of books I've ever given up on. He really starts to phone it in arguably by the time the first book is ending, and after the second one the AH itself descends into madness, removing any point from the series (because you sure as hell aren't reading them because you give a shit about Peggy Druce).

I didn't exactly "give up" on the whole TL-191 series, but I did find that skipping several entries in the "WW2" part and reading just the concluding novel reduced my pain level considerably without any equivalent loss of plot understanding. I think with every multiple volume Turtledove series it may be a good practice to just read #1, the last one, and randomly pick one in the middle. With trilogies I guess you're stuck.

... i disagree about Atlantis being avoided, but that's just me. i like reading about the ecology of Atlantis, partly in figuring out what is analogous to what.

Well, I guess I can understand that...but the silly Ersatz-Americans keep getting in the way.

i typically do that anyway ;) in general, i disagree about Atlantis being avoided, but that's just me. i like reading about the ecology of Atlantis, partly in figuring out what is analogous to what.
The ecology didn't work though. Where were the mammals? Mammals existed as a globally distributed group when Atlantis broke off. They may not have been crown mammals (depending on exact dates), but they were furry and warm blooded and probably lactating.

The third book in the Atlantis series was not well executed and i would avoid it. I really liked the first book and the second book was pretty good as well, but Liberating Atlantis just felt preachy and implausible.

The ecology didn't work though. Where were the mammals? Mammals existed as a globally distributed group when Atlantis broke off. They may not have been crown mammals (depending on exact dates), but they were furry and warm blooded and probably lactating.
*shrug* mass extinction? outcompeted by the other animals there?

North Reich, by Robert Conroy. Need I say more?

2940014690935_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

American military forces are focused on fighting Japan after Pearl Harbor. Hitler's army has taken Stalingrad, defeated opposing countries in Western Europe, England has surrendered, and German troops, including the terrifying Gestapo, now control Canada, with a puppet government in Ottawa.

Many historians consider Hitler's greatest blunder was declaring war on the United States in 1941. Award-winning author Robert Conroy presents an exciting alternate history scenario, where Hitler did not declare war on the U.S. and American armed forces stayed out of the European conflict, focusing its military might on the Pacific.

In NORTH REICH, border skirmishes with Nazi-occupied Canada and saboteur efforts within U.S. escalate into a Nazi invasion. This novel presents a moving picture of Nazi-occupied Canada, what the U.S. response might have been, and how warfare on American soil could have played out.

Robert

Banned
The Two Georges by Harry Turtledove and Richard Dreyfus

A mystery story where the American Revolution never took place, technology is a hundred years behind where it is today, steam is used for cars and Richard Nixon sells them, and Martin Luther King is the Governor General of British North America.

Those are the only interesting things about the book. The rest of the book is as pointless and frustrating a journey as Warday,