AH novel in which US and other Allies go to war w/ USSR?

Been thinking about this scenario and looking for a book based around it. If there aren’t any, I might just try to write one.

Red Inferno: 1945 by Robert Conroy is one.

The entire Command and Conquer: Red Alert series of PC games is based around the concept.

And for some 'honorary AH' (future speculation that is now out of date) you have The Third World War by John Hackett and Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy.

The Red Gambit series by Colin Gee deals with a soviet attack provoked by Stalin paranoia in summer 45.

Red Inferno: 1945 by Robert Conroy is one.

The entire Command and Conquer: Red Alert series of PC games is based around the concept.

And for some 'honorary AH' (future speculation that is now out of date) you have The Third World War by John Hackett and Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy.
Thanks so much for chiming in! I just checked out the ebook of Red Inferno from the library and the Clancy novel should be interesting

Been thinking about this scenario and looking for a book based around it. If there aren’t any, I might just try to write one.

Let's see, I have an entire blog (nominally) devoted to the third world war, so I know a lot of these. (takes deep breath)

Northern Fury H-Hour
The Red Effect
Chieftains
Team Yankee
World War 1990 Arctic Storm
Red Army (told from the Soviet perspective)

Let's see, I have an entire blog (nominally) devoted to the third world war, so I know a lot of these. (takes deep breath)

Northern Fury H-Hour
The Red Effect
Chieftains
Team Yankee
World War 1990 Arctic Storm
Red Army (told from the Soviet perspective)

Thanks for the link to your blog. Do you remember a late 1980's book about WW3 that set in post-nuclear exchange Kentucky? Its was about a National Guard unit keeping order in a small Kentucky town. I want to say the title was Fallen Angels or something like that. I think it was published under a private label, maybe through the old Soldier of Fortune magazine. Or at least a symbol that looked like the one used by that magazine.

My book, Northern Fury: H-Hour, as Coiler suggested.

Red Army is really good from the Soviet perspective.

Red Storm Rising is the classic.

The Third World War by Hackett is kind of the original NATO-Warsaw Pact war novel, but it's a bit dry.

Speaking of dry, The War that Never Was by Palmer is more of a history of the fictitious war than a novel. I enjoyed it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Thanks for the link to your blog. Do you remember a late 1980's book about WW3 that set in post-nuclear exchange Kentucky? Its was about a National Guard unit keeping order in a small Kentucky town. I want to say the title was Fallen Angels or something like that. I think it was published under a private label, maybe through the old Soldier of Fortune magazine. Or at least a symbol that looked like the one used by that magazine.

I used to have that novel; I forget the title of it...

There is The Hot War trilogy by Harry Turtledove. It is based on the Korean War escalates into World War III.

• Bombs Away (2015)
  • Fallout (2016)
  • Armistice (2017)

There is also Lightning by Dean Koontz, wherein a last minute meeting of time travelers with Winston Churchill drastically alters history.

Clancy, Hackett, Coyle, Peters, all are good. Add Trinity's Child, by William Prochnau (this was the basis for the movie By Dawn's Early Light). First Clash (a Canadian Brigade in combat during a NATO-Pact war in Germany) is also a good choice, though it was meant originally as a training aid.

Clancy, Hackett, Coyle, Peters, all are good. Add Trinity's Child, by William Prochnau (this was the basis for the movie By Dawn's Early Light). First Clash (a Canadian Brigade in combat during a NATO-Pact war in Germany) is also a good choice, though it was meant originally as a training aid.

I'm amazed - this is the first time I've ever seen either Trinity's Child or First Clash mentioned anywhere (I used to have the former, and still have the latter). They're both great reads, even though Trinity's Child is very ... appropriately dark and cynical, and a bit grotesque.

And for OP - there's a hilariously weird book called "World War III" written in either the late 70s or early 80s, about a world war that is set in China and includes trained attack chimpanzees fighting alongside American soldiers. If anyone else knows what I'm talking about, feel free to chime in, because I don't remember the author and can't find the book. In addition, the classic War Day is a somewhat depressing read about a recovering America ten-or-so years after a limited nuclear exchange. It's written in a semi-biographical/documentary style.

I'm amazed - this is the first time I've ever seen either Trinity's Child or First Clash mentioned anywhere (I used to have the former, and still have the latter). They're both great reads, even though Trinity's Child is very ... appropriately dark and cynical, and a bit grotesque.

There's supposed to be a follow-on to First Clash, but I've never found it.