AH Movies - Yea or Nay?

Am considering buying some AH-related DVDs and am interested in what folks hereabout think of them. So, am looking for a thumbs-up and/or down on these:

It Happened Here
Death of a President
CSA

Thanks to all in advance.

Id rent CSA (the modernday look at confederate comercials and such?)
rather than buy..
Fatherland is a thriller set in an AH thats not bad...

There really aren't that many AH movies, and even fewer good ones. I guess The Day After is Alternate History now.

Am considering buying some AH-related DVDs and am interested in what folks hereabout think of them. So, am looking for a thumbs-up and/or down on these:

It Happened Here
Death of a President
CSA

The first one looks like real AH that was pretty well review on Rotten Tomatoes. The second is a political movie through and through, while the third is a farce. I'd get the first one, skip the second, and rent the third. I saw CSA, and it's interesting, but I don't recommend buying it.

Edit: Wikipedia lists a lot more AH films, here, but many of them are just plain Sci-fi or post-apocalyptic movies.

The Philadelphia Experiment II - Time Travel, the Nazis have some plane from the future

Timequest - Time travel, guy goes back to save JFK

Nothing so Strange - Seems to be more of a criticism of conspiracy theorists, but its about Bill Gates being killed in 1999.

Jin-Roh: The Wold Brigade
- Nazis take over Japan!?! It technically is AH, but that's not really what the movie is about.

World War III - Good, but cliched story of WWIII in 1989.

There are also some post-apocalyptic ones, but I won't mention shose because they are mcuh sillier(Six String Samurai).

Last edited:
Death of a President isn't an AH movie. It was set in the future when the movie was written and released.

I actually suggest buying CSA. You'll end up wanting to rewatch it, later, and in the end, its better to own it because of both cost and the pain of finding it again to rent it.

Timequest - Time travel, guy goes back to save JFK

I actually have that one. A bit hamfisted and oversimplified in its picture of Kennedy and the alternate history to followed, but it actually does make some good points, albeit more complex in real life than presented in the film by far, and is a fun movie. The grassy knoll thing didn't rub me the right way, though.

Do not bother with Fatherland. I picked up the book about seven years ago and read it once. Since that time it has been gathering dust on my bookshelf.

The basic AH in it is as follows:

According to the novel's version of history, the German armies on the Eastern Front are stopped at the gates of Moscow at the end of 1941, as in our history. Defeated in battle but not demoralised, they launch a second major offensive into the Caucasus in 1942, cutting the flow of oil to the Red Army. The first point of divergence is that this second offensive is far more successful. With its armies immobilised for want of fuel, Joseph Stalin is forced to flee to the east, and a rump Soviet government surrenders in 1943.

The second major point of divergence is that around the same time, German intelligence (in a way never explained) learns the British have cracked the Enigma code, which is leading to the sinking of their submarines. They withdraw their submarines from the Atlantic temporarily and send false intelligence to lure the British fleet to destruction. The U-Boat campaign against the United Kingdom resumes, starving Britain into accepting a humiliating armistice in 1944. Winston Churchill, King George VI and other prominent British officials are forced into exile in Canada. Edward VIII regains the throne at the helm of a pro-German puppet government.

Germany tests its first atom bomb in 1946, and fires a "V-3" missile that explodes above New York City, to demonstrate Germany's ability to attack the continental United States with long-range missiles. Following this demonstration of power, the United States signs a peace treaty with Germany. This results in the Third Reich being one of the two superpowers of the world, along with the US, which defeated Japan, reflecting the actual history of the war.

The novel takes place from April 14 – 20, 1964, as Germany prepares for Hitler's 75th birthday celebrations. A visit by the President of the United States, Joseph P. Kennedy, is planned as part of a gradual détente between the United States and the Greater German Reich. The Nazi hierarchy are hinted at being desperate for peace because the German economy has been staggering since the end of the war and the cost of fighting the war against the Russians has led to a situation whereby German citizens are encouraged to make even larger contributions than before to "Winter Relief". The Holocaust has been explained away to the satisfaction of many as merely the relocation of most of the Jewish population to the East into areas where communication and travel are still very poor, explaining why it is impossible for most of their relatives in the West to contact them. Despite this, many Germans are aware — or suspect — the government has eliminated the Jews.

Also not mentioned in the Wikipedia entry is the fact that Japan got nuked on schedule and surrendered. So they had the bomb BEFORE the Germans did. The rocket detonated over New York City was just a rocket. That is what makes the entire book implausible.

It Happened Here
Death of a President
CSA

IT HAPPENED HERE was good, amazingly good if you remember it was made by a couple of college students. Quite a chilling look at what a Fascist Britain might have been like.

Haven't seen DEATH OF A PRESIDENT.

CSA is good for a few laughs. Some of the stuff in there is clever, if you remember it's not a serious attempt at alternate history, but a mocking commentary on OTL.