AH Fiction - An Ordinary Germanic

ONE – MEETING

Therese Lohmeyer is verbally abusing a hospital coffee maker when I first meet her. The accent suggest she’s German.

The vocabulary confirms it. No disrespect to my Australian friends but nobody tops a German for swearing. I’m still trying to sort out where one insult ends and another begins when she realizes I’m there and turns around, some red in her cheeks.

“No, go on, this is educational,” I assure her with a smile.

“This is – it is not making the coffee,” she says, shaking a fist at the machine in question. “Where is the coffee to put into it?”

I look past her and, sure enough, the little tray alongside the machine has packets of sugar and cream, paper cups, plastic lids, stirrers, but no actual coffee. Well, there are packets of decaffeinated coffee, but Britain being a civilized country, no one has availed themselves of the wretched things.

“Well, let’s see.” I get to my feet and look around in the manner of a TV sleuth before opening up one of the low cabinets at the side of the empty cafeteria. “Here we go.” I pull out a cardboard box holding the great prize – packets of ground coffee, just waiting to be dumped into the maw of the machine.

“Coffee!” she exclaims, confirming my suspicions she’s been up for an indecent amount of time.

“Don’t tell anyone.”

“How did you know it was in there?”

I just smile knowingly. (I saw a nurse do the same thing last night, but never mind that.)

She smirks and I suppose she’s guessed my mysterious trick. “Well, okay. Thank you.”

The machine takes its sweet time to dispense the coffee.

“You’re not a patient, are you?” she asks me after a minute or two.

“No, just visiting. My brother’s gone and broken his leg, the git.”

“Oh. I’m sorry. What happened?”

“Icy pavement, mobile phone, not a smashing combination this time around.”

She winces. “Sorry.”

“What about you?”

“I’m here to get stabbed with needles.”

“How’s that?”

“A blood examination. A blood test, I mean.”

I start to put the pieces together. German. Blood test. “Citizenship?”

“Citizenship, yes!” Her face lights up for a second and then she rubs her arm. “But this blood test, I don’t like it.”

It’s rather stupid, I agree, a relic of the grim old days when British policy was designed to keep Germans out and, failing that, to make the process as miserable as possible. There’s little medical reason for it, at least in this century.

I don’t ask why she didn’t go to a clinic (later, it turns out she lives five minutes walk from the hospital, although I’m not sure that compensates for waiting around two hours after the test to get the results).

I have a hundred more interesting questions.

I introduce myself.

“Very nice to meet you. I am Therese Lohmeyer.”

“Very nice to meet you, Miss Lohmeyer.”

We sip at our coffee in silence for a while.

“What do you do?” I finally ask.

“I am stewardess on Air Thames.”

I nod. Air Thames is one of the smaller airlines in Britain. They have flights to Manchester and Newcastle, as best I can remember. It is not exactly Commonwealth Air.

“How do you like it?”

“It’s better than home. Everything here is better.”

“Even the weather?”

“Ach, not the weather, no,” she admits. “I like snow. I miss snow. In Posen, there were real winters. And in Frankfurt, not so cloudy all of the time.”

“Are you from Posen, then?” I assume as much. Even with all the Reich’s incentives, the general drift is still from East to West, at least if you don’t want to become a yeoman farmer.

Her expression hardens a little. This is a little too much like an interview or an interrogation, maybe.

“I’m sorry, I’m asking too many questions. We don't see many Germans in London, that’s all.” And they’re usual the bastards at the embassy.

“No, no, it is okay.”

“You know, it’s only cloudy two out of every three days here,” I say as I finish my coffee.

She smiles a little, finishes her own. “I hope your brother is on both feet again soon,” she says before heading out.

Just a passing encounter between a native and an expatriate. Happens all the time, especially in a city like London.

Except of course that was only the first meeting.

Last edited:
TWO – BIER

Two months later, I find myself in a pub on Dean Street, sitting in a booth under a photo of Oscar Blake, Peter Cushing and one of the Kray Twins, and who walks in but Therese Lohmeyer.

She walks in and right past me without a second look.

Once upon a time, I’d have taken that as a professional success. These days, when a pretty young woman ignores me completely, my reaction is a bit of a sulk.
I could just leave it be, and if she’d been with friends, I certainly would. But she’s by herself and not showing any signs of that changing. But a pint of bitter has excited my journalistic impulses enough to make me not think about coming off as a lech.

I have a plan. I’ll walk past her on the way to the loo. If she notices and remembers me, then it’s a success. If she doesn’t, well, no harm done.

I carry out the scheme and as I’m just within a few yards of her table, she looks up and, after a second or two of obvious memory-wracking, makes the connection. “Mr. Coffee!”

I’ve been called quite a few names over the years, but this is a new one.

“Miss Lohmeyer! You’re looking well.”

This is true. Why is it that every German woman I meet is ridiculously attractive? I begin to wonder if the Reich really is putting something into the water as Owen Newey and his lot at the EPP keep ranting about. My luck was never this good in my former line of work. I’ll spare you the details.

“So are you.”

There’s a bit of awkward silence.

“Taking in a show later?” I ask after a second.

“Murder on the Orient Express,” she says, and I can’t help but think of last year’s trip across the Reich by rail. No murders there, not that there weren’t one or two passengers as loathsome as Mr. Ratchett.

“Agatha Christie or Katja Lotz fan? Or both?”

Therese laughs. “Katja Lotz has fans who aren’t teenage boys?”

“Grown-up boys?”

“Ah. It’s true. What about you?”

I shrug. “It’s a fine story, but if you know the solution, it’s not worth seeing twice, if you ask me. As for why I’m here, that’s easy. I know the owner.” Left unsaid is that the fellow was in a sticky situation with me once or twice in the old days. “Old mate of mine.”

“When you come back, sit down, join me.” She smiles as she says it and pushes a chair out a few inches.

The bloke behind the bar, not the owner but one of his mates who knows me well enough, sees this unfold and gives me an incredulous look.

Well, it’s not as if I try.

Telling him that probably wouldn’t make him feel better, would it?

We go around the usual subjects – football, the weather – for a while before I ask how Air Thames is doing.

“It’s not so bad,” Therese says with a shrug. “They are short flights. But last week, there were hooligans going to Neuberg. Newcastle, I mean. In Germany, you would not have people yelling and – hooting? Is this the right word? – on a plane or anywhere except a pub during a football game.”

“Well...”

Then she laughs. “Of course, in Germany, everyone is so perfect and good,” she says, then takes a good drink from her mug. “Your hooligans are not so bad as the men in grey.” (Despite what Hollywood and Ealing tell you, Gestapo agents only wear the standard black SS uniforms on special occasions – to a German, they’re the men in grey after the standard issue Hugo Boss suits they do wear in the field.)

“How’s the citizenship process coming along, then?”

Therese rolls her eyes. “Paperwork! You English make fun of our bureaucracy, but at least it is efficient. I am all the time signing and writing papers, papers, papers, and then going back one week later to do a different paper! But I think I am near the end now.” Drink. “If there is more, then I am moving to Canada.”

“I’m not sure it’s any easier there.”

“Then I am moving to the Moon.”

“Well, at least you won’t have to worry about hooligans up there.”

Drink.

“Do you mind my asking, why are you in England? Why did you leave Germany?”

“Because Germany is hell.” Drink.

There’s not much to say to that, so I don’t say anything.

After a minute or two, she goes on. “I was verlobt. What is the word in English? To be agreed to marry someone?”

“Engaged.”

“Yes, engaged. Oskar Dümmler.” She says the name with a smile and a sigh, both sad. “He was in the Army. At the garnison in Soltfeld.” I don’t know the place personally. Later I find out it was called Solikamsk in the old days and is about 130 miles north of Pordenau. “And then they tell me, he is dead.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Germany is hell. The government, it sends boys with guns into the forest. When they kill someone, they call it winning. When someone kills them, they call it heroic. Oskar was twenty years old. Twenty! The government, it killed him. Yes, it was a Russian who threw the granate – is it grenada? No, grenade – but it doesn’t matter. It was the government. The Reich.” I’ve never heard so much venom put into the word, not even from bitter old Poles shuffling around Cardinal Wojtyła Hospital in Chicago.

Drink. Both of us.

I wave at Bob behind the bar to bring us another round.

“I am always a little asocial,” Therese continues after a minute or two. “When I was young, a teenager, you know, I had a friend who was very asocial. Very subversive. She knew a way to get every issue of the Freies Europa. She was a bad influence on me.” A bitter laugh.

“So, after this happens, I leave Eichenbrück where I am from. It is no good any more. Too small. Too many ghosts, you know?”

I nod. I know about ghosts.

“I go to Posen and work for the Luft Hansa. In two years, I am in Frankfurt. Soon I am stewardess on the flight to London. Three times a day, I am going back and forth.” Drink. Smile. “And one day, I get off the plane in London and keep going all the way to the taxis, and take the taxi all the way to Portland Place. That’s all I did.”

“I’d say you did a lot.”

“It was not so hard. Everything after that has been hard.”

Drink.

This makes me wonder what life would Joseph Ratzinger end up living in this world. Didn't he find his vocation as a soviet pow?
He enrolled in a seminary at age 12, in 1939, so he might still be a (strongly anti-Nazi) member of the clergy (his family was hostile to the Nazis, and a relative of him, who had a disability, was murdered by the Nazis, and the same will unfortunately still happen to his relative).

Pope John Paul II was a US Cardinal in this world?

Yes - he escaped over the Urals (was probably ordained in Omsk or Vladivostok) and made his way to America around 1950. Served as Bishop of Buffalo for a few years and Archbishop of Chicago for the better part of a generation. Died a little earlier than in OTL, buried at St. Adalbert Cemetery in Niles, IL. His cause for canonization was opened in 2011.

He enrolled in a seminary at age 12, in 1939, so he might still be a (strongly anti-Nazi) member of the clergy (his family was hostile to the Nazis, and a relative of him, who had a disability, was murdered by the Nazis, and the same will unfortunately still happen to his relative).

I imagine he ended up in Rome in the 60s and stayed there, teaching at the German College, perhaps ending his career as a bishop. Currently working on vol 3 of a history of the Church in Germany (banned in the Reich).

Last edited:
So Therese defected to the west just like Russians in OTL during the soviet era.

I have to ask:
did Audrey Hepburn make it out of Holland to England?

Did Kurt Waldheim go on to have a successful career in the Wehrmacht or was he killed fighting in Russia?

Is Arnold Schwarzenegger a retired policeman in Graz?

Is Heidi Klum the Reich's former top model?

Last edited:
So Therese defected to the west just like Russians in OTL during the soviet era.

Correct! I'm not sure if any Aeroflot pilots or crew just walked off and into the West, but it seems like an easy opportunity.

I have to ask:
did Audrey Hepburn make it out of Holland to England?

I'll be kind and say she did, yes.

Did Kurt Waldheim go on to have a successful career in the Wehrmacht or was he killed fighting in Russia?

Died in the Battle of Moscow 1941-1942.

Is Arnold Schwarzenegger a retired policeman in Graz?

Born after the (vague) POD of 1940, so the Ahnold we know never existed. Gustav and Aurelia Schwarzenegger moved to the East after the war and lived out their days in former-Estonia.

Is Heidi Klum the Reich's former top model?

Born far after the POD, alas! Renate Ehrich is probably the most popular fashion model in the Reich, although it's not much like what we think of. There's no SI Swimsuit Issue. Maybe a Dirndl Issue.

We can always assume that after UK's DOW, her mother never relocated to the Netherlands. Of course, that would mean we would lose the Audrey Hepburn that we know, but that's probably the price for her escaping a brutally harsh life.

Yeah.

Also, in this reality, Anne Frank and family got away. Because I said so.

Sounds good to me.

It's also historical. In 1938 and 1941, Frank attempted to obtain visas for his family to emigrate to the United States or Cuba. He was granted a single visa for himself to Cuba on 1 December 1941, but it is not known if it ever reached him. Ten days later, when Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy declared war on the United States, the visa was cancelled.

So, perhaps in this universe, he tries again in 1940, and......

Also, Cuba as a refuge for Jews (and other escapees) is suddenly fixed in my brain.

Batista, deciding to get both financial and diplomatic support, starts accepting Jews and other escapees. Otto's Opekta becomes the biggest pectin and spice company in Latin America.

It's also historical. In 1938 and 1941, Frank attempted to obtain visas for his family to emigrate to the United States or Cuba. He was granted a single visa for himself to Cuba on 1 December 1941, but it is not known if it ever reached him. Ten days later, when Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy declared war on the United States, the visa was cancelled.

So, perhaps in this universe, he tries again in 1940, and......

Batista, deciding to get both financial and diplomatic support, starts accepting Jews and other escapees.

Canon approved x 2.

I look forward to an episode featuring the Franks :love:

Enh, maybe.

In the meantime, though:

Anne Gutierrez (1929-2002) - born Anne Frank, Frankfurt Germany, emigrated to Cuba with her family in 1940. Attended the University of Havana, graduated with a degree in literature. Married Cuban Air Force officer Héctor Gutiérrez in 1954. Famous for her autobiographical works Memorias de una Infancia Rota, Diez Años en Cabañas and El Libro Gris. Served in the Cuban Congress from 1966-1973, Cuban delegate to the Atlantic Alliance Human Rights Council 1975-1980. Mayor of Havana 1982-1990. President of the Cuban Jewish Council 1987-1997. Honorary citizen of the United Kingdom, United States.