AH Discussion: Portuguese Cabo

Talking about Portuguese Cabo... no Union of Crowns? Because that changes A LOT.

I think Portuguese Cabo might keep Portugal in the Indian Ocean game. They will have a strong colony from which to launch expeditions to India and the Horn of Africa.

Talking about Portuguese Cabo... no Union of Crowns? Because that changes A LOT.

I think Portuguese Cabo might keep Portugal in the Indian Ocean game. They will have a strong colony from which to launch expeditions to India and the Horn of Africa.
Yes, I know. I would like to avoid the Union with Spain, but I think that would be inplausible. I don't like such things in TLs.
Simply, just because one pretty insignificant ( at the time ) outpost 10 000 km from Lisbon is founded, I don't see how would that affect king Sebastian being born or his mental state or decision to go take Morocco?

Last edited:
Part 2.
Conflict with Khoikhoi

Khoikhoi tribe living near Cabo has made lots of problems to Portuguese settlers there. While the Portuguise managed to beat them back more than once, they still attacked isolated farms, so that was the impedimentfor large-scale settlement. Portuguese thus made another small fort ( on top of OTL Signal Hill ) so that they can see the enemy, but also that they can observe sea traffic too.

800px-Lions_Head_%26_Signal_Hill_wza.jpg

Signal Hill in centre of picture, above the old fort.

Considering that Portuguese wanted to get rid of danger from Khoikhois, as soon as substantial reinforcements from Portugal and India arrived, they decided to attack them and force them out of area. The attack was sucessful, because now the Portuguese had the numerical and technological superiority. Khoikhoi village was destroyed, many of them killed or captured ( and sold as slaves ) and the rest forced to flee behind the Eastern mountains/Montanhas orientais ( OTL Boland and Hottentots Mountains ).
That allowed the Portuguese settlers to expand their farms and explore surrounding areas.
Some soldiers that arrived there to fight Khoikhoi's decided to stay and settle there, while the garrison was also increased by 100 soldiers. Another small fort was built on top of Devil's Peak/Pico de Diabo to better observe movements of Khoikhoi's. Conflicts with khoikhois will continue later.

Capeflats.jpg

Area in circle now belonged to the Portuguese to settle. They started to plant wheat, wineyards and other such things. Also, sheeps and goats were brought from Portugal.
Also, some Portuguese founded small villages to the south of main settlement, on area of Cabo peninsula like Canto de Peixe/Fishhoek or Baia Bosque/Hout Bay.
Settlement from Portugal continued apace, so that in 1530 Cabo colony had about 2000 people living there.