AH Challenge: The Weimar Republic Survives TL

Bumped becaute it deserved it! :D

I like specially the fact that at the beginning that it was thought was impossible, but at the end it made the Weimar Republic not only survive as also prosper! :p

Glen

Bumped becaute it deserved it! :D

I like specially the fact that at the beginning that it was thought was impossible, but at the end it made the Weimar Republic not only survive as also prosper! :p

That was a fun part of it. We took on something big (about the only white whale bigger would have been the unmentionable sea mammal) and it came out as a great timeline - I really would like one day to flesh out the last decade or two of the timeline as it stands, and even perhaps project it into the next hundred years.

JJohnson

Banned
Does anyone know what the Weimar Constitution says about the presidency in the event of a vacancy in office? I think initially the powers of the presidency are assumed by the Chancellor, but can anyone confirm that? If this is the case, how long can the Chancellor act as president before they are supposed to choose a new one, that is without changing any laws?

Article 51. In case of disability the President of the Reich shall be represented first of all by the Chancellor. If the disability will presumably continue for a longer time, the matter of a substitute shall be determined by national law.
In case of a premature vacancy in the presidency, the same course shall be followed until a new election has been held.

Glen

Article 51. In case of disability the President of the Reich shall be represented first of all by the Chancellor. If the disability will presumably continue for a longer time, the matter of a substitute shall be determined by national law.
In case of a premature vacancy in the presidency, the same course shall be followed until a new election has been held.

As determined by national law - that seems like quite the push off. I think we changed that in the timeline to make for a clearer succession (but it has been a while, so it is hard to remember for certain). Thanks for the info, though JJohnson!

Bumping with a new map for the timeline. The most recent ones I saw when I skimmed the thread were a couple years old, so I made one using a more recent base-map.

weimar world2.png

Last edited:
That was a fun part of it. We took on something big (about the only white whale bigger would have been the unmentionable sea mammal) and it came out as a great timeline - I really would like one day to flesh out the last decade or two of the timeline as it stands, and even perhaps project it into the next hundred years.

That would be really interesting. Maybe with ESA SPS and augmented-reality Internet.

I wonder how the CERN become in this timeline...

Glen

Bumping with a new map for the timeline. The most recent ones I saw when I skimmed the thread were a couple years old, so I made one using a more recent base-map.

That's a great map, Thon! If you haven't done so, you should show it off in the Maps thread. One quick thing that I saw and it could be that my memory is mixing this up with another timeline, but didn't Burma remain with India?

Glen

That would be really interesting. Maybe with ESA SPS and augmented-reality Internet.

I wonder how the CERN become in this timeline...

Yep. CERN is in fact mentioned somewhere in here IIRC....hmm, only looks like some speculation, nothing firmed up. But yes, there would be something like CERN and there would be some similarities and some differences.

Glen

JJohnson, thanks for your interest in the Weimar Republic Survives project. The timeline that this thread created can be found in Finished Timelines and Scenarios under Weimar World. While I would be willing to accept additions to Weimar World, the main events up to 2018 are already set.

However, you put a LOT of work into a very interesting alternate scenario (though with some very interesting parallels). I would like to move your scenario to a new thread under whatever name you would like (I could leave a post here with the link so people know where it went). I would also be willing in such a new thread to give a detailed discussion of your proposed scenario. What do you say, feel like giving this forum another great Weimar Republic Timeline thread?:D

That's a great map, Thon! If you haven't done so, you should show it off in the Maps thread. One quick thing that I saw and it could be that my memory is mixing this up with another timeline, but didn't Burma remain with India?

Reading through the timeline, it appears that Burma did remain separate from the dominion of India.

I did, however, adjust Yugoslavia's and Italy's borders, as well as make Alaska and Hawaii states.

Glen

Reading through the timeline, it appears that Burma did remain separate from the dominion of India.

I did, however, adjust Yugoslavia's and Italy's borders, as well as make Alaska and Hawaii states.

Must have gotten mixed up with our XXth Century timeline.

JJohnson

Banned
JJohnson, thanks for your interest in the Weimar Republic Survives project. The timeline that this thread created can be found in Finished Timelines and Scenarios under Weimar World. While I would be willing to accept additions to Weimar World, the main events up to 2018 are already set.

However, you put a LOT of work into a very interesting alternate scenario (though with some very interesting parallels). I would like to move your scenario to a new thread under whatever name you would like (I could leave a post here with the link so people know where it went). I would also be willing in such a new thread to give a detailed discussion of your proposed scenario. What do you say, feel like giving this forum another great Weimar Republic Timeline thread?:D

Hi Glen,

Thanks! I've been reading through Weimar World, and it's definitely a detailed work (I have a bit of trouble telling what changed and what's the same, but that's probably more me than the timeline). I do enjoy seeing all the details you all put in there.

I would be happy to start up a new timeline for the Weimar Republic, though as for names, I'm not 100% sure...I'm open to ideas, perhaps something like "Einigkeit and Recht: The Weimar Republic" ? or "Einigkeit: The Weimar Republic"?

Glen

Hi Glen,

Thanks! I've been reading through Weimar World, and it's definitely a detailed work (I have a bit of trouble telling what changed and what's the same, but that's probably more me than the timeline). I do enjoy seeing all the details you all put in there.

I would be happy to start up a new timeline for the Weimar Republic, though as for names, I'm not 100% sure...I'm open to ideas, perhaps something like "Einigkeit and Recht: The Weimar Republic" ? or "Einigkeit: The Weimar Republic"?

Thanks and go with the shorter title.

Glen

Hi Glen,

Thanks and go with the shorter title.

I have moved your sketched out premise for another path for Weimar to Einigkeit: The Weimar Republic. I shall place all further comments on your scenario there, while those directed towards the Weimar World timeline developed in this thread will still get posted here.

JJohnson

Banned
That's a point, I think. And also, I just read on Wikipedia that one of Poland's big fears was Germany launching a limited war and then negotiating with the West for peace and the territory acquired thereby, implying in my mind a real belief that they would get it.

Do you happen to remember this article? I was looking for it and couldn't find it.

JJohnson

Banned
Hey Glen,

Can you put up a chart of the Presidents and Chancellors and their times in office, party, and major initiatives? I usually find that's easier to see who's doing what when when it's in a chart format. I grabbed these from your timeline, but I may have missed some information, or misread dates, so I wanted to check with you to verify this is how your timeline goes.

I think I have them all here:

Presidents:
Friedrich Ebert 1918-1933
Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck 1933-1947
Otto Braun 1947-1955 (died in office)
Konrad Adenauer 1955-1962
Ludwig Erhard 1962-1976
Herbert Ernst Karl Frahm 1976-
Gerry Bernstein 2011-

Chancellors:
-Gustav Bauer 1920-1923
-Gustav Streseman - 1923-1928 (died in office)
-Hermann Müller 1928-1930
-Heinrich Brüning 1930-1933
-Carl Friedrich Goerdeler (DNVP) 1933-1940
-Konrad Adenauer (Zentrum) 1940-1947
-Erich Ollenhauer (SPD) 1947-

Elections held in 1918, 1920, 1923, 1933, 1940, 1947, 1954, 1969, 1976, 2011 (from mentions in the timeline, I may have missed some)

Glen

Hey Glen,

Can you put up a chart of the Presidents and Chancellors and their times in office, party, and major initiatives? I usually find that's easier to see who's doing what when when it's in a chart format. I grabbed these from your timeline, but I may have missed some information, or misread dates, so I wanted to check with you to verify this is how your timeline goes.

I think I have them all here:

Presidents:
Friedrich Ebert 1918-1933
Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck 1933-1947
Otto Braun 1947-1955 (died in office)
Konrad Adenauer 1955-1962
Ludwig Erhard 1962-1976
Herbert Ernst Karl Frahm 1976-
Gerry Bernstein 2011-

Chancellors:
-Gustav Bauer 1920-1923
-Gustav Streseman - 1923-1928 (died in office)
-Hermann Müller 1928-1930
-Heinrich Brüning 1930-1933
-Carl Friedrich Goerdeler (DNVP) 1933-1940
-Konrad Adenauer (Zentrum) 1940-1947
-Erich Ollenhauer (SPD) 1947-

Elections held in 1918, 1920, 1923, 1933, 1940, 1947, 1954, 1969, 1976, 2011 (from mentions in the timeline, I may have missed some)

It thing you hit most of the ones who were mentioned in the timeline. We never did come up with a full roster if I recall correctly. Past a certain point the gestault politics was more important than the personalities.

JJohnson

Banned
If the Weimar Republic stands, does Prussia remain as a state covering most of the territory of Germany, or do you see it ever breaking up or having parts break off, such as Rhine Province or Hanover?