AH Challenge: The Weimar Republic Survives TL

Glen

beer
under
my
pillow

And how longer do we want to wait for a cleanup that all of us are too lazy or too occupied to do? :(

Bump....

....Good Question. Maybe go ahead and post what we have to the Timelines and Scenarios thread, and then an Expanded Director's Cut when we get around to it?

Alright. I'll put the stuff together and try to submit it there tomorrow. I suggest when it is posted that we start a new thread "Weimar World V2" or something, because I think the over thousand replies discourage others from participating.

Glen

Alright. I'll put the stuff together and try to submit it there tomorrow. I suggest when it is posted that we start a new thread "Weimar World V2" or something, because I think the over thousand replies discourage others from participating.

I can submit most of the posts on 'Weimar World Cliffnotes' as a new submission. Don't worry about it, I'll take care of it.

I suggest after that that the natural place to continue work would be at the Weimar World Cliffnotes thread, which I can rename if desired.

Glen

And Weimar World joins the ranks of Timelines and Scenarios.

However, we can always add to it, so if you have ideas, don't stop them coming.

Also, I think it may be time to begin our own Tales of the Weimar World for those who wish to tell stories set in the Weimar World timeline.

Glen

Did you include the cleanups from the previous pages? I think the Cliffnotes didn't have those.

Not certain. Have to check. I have mod powers so we can fix that easily enough.

If someone feels ambitious, they can use the search thread function to see if the stuff below got in or not, and then post a list here of things that need to be put in.

Not certain. Have to check. I have mod powers so we can fix that easily enough.

If someone feels ambitious, they can use the search thread function to see if the stuff below got in or not, and then post a list here of things that need to be put in.
'k. I guess I will do that - as soon as the stuff appears in the T&S forum.

Glen

Note that I believe I have now put in all the last changes suggested and accepted but missing from the cliffnotes.

Someone please do double check me on that.

Okay, I've just read the TL in T&S forum. I have to say there were a number of things in naval part of French-Italian war in 1940s that should been different:
1. Ships names (I know its ATL, but I think names would go as per OTL)
a) battlecruiser Bretagne - sorry, in OTL Bretagne was a battleship - commissioned in 1915, sunk in 1940. In OTL battlecruisers were Dunkerque (in line 1937) and Strasbourg (in line 1938)
b) carrier Bearn - at the start of WW2 was used only for training. Though there were 2 new carriers under construction: Joffre (laid down 1938) and Painleve (laid down in 1939) - as the time of a war they should been completed.
2. Personally suprises me the lack of raids and naval bombardments. In OTL France and Italy built lots of ships designed for hit-and-run tactics - like French super-destroyers (i.e. the fastest destroyer of all time - Le Terrible - 45,1 knots at trials)

Glen

Okay, I've just read the TL in T&S forum. I have to say there were a number of things in naval part of French-Italian war in 1940s that should been different:
1. Ships names (I know its ATL, but I think names would go as per OTL)
a) battlecruiser Bretagne - sorry, in OTL Bretagne was a battleship - commissioned in 1915, sunk in 1940. In OTL battlecruisers were Dunkerque (in line 1937) and Strasbourg (in line 1938)
b) carrier Bearn - at the start of WW2 was used only for training. Though there were 2 new carriers under construction: Joffre (laid down 1938) and Painleve (laid down in 1939) - as the time of a war they should been completed.
2. Personally suprises me the lack of raids and naval bombardments. In OTL France and Italy built lots of ships designed for hit-and-run tactics - like French super-destroyers (i.e. the fastest destroyer of all time - Le Terrible - 45,1 knots at trials)

Tizoc,

Thank you for your comments and for ready Weimar World.

I can not say for certain why those ship names and designations were used, they were written for the timeline by perdedor99.

However, I would be interested in making changes that don't change the thrust of the timeline but would make it more accurate to those earlier times. If you would be willing to edit those events to make the names and the tactics more in keeping with OTL, while keeping the outcomes, I'd be honored to make those changes.

Glen

Well, still buried more or less at work, but less so at the moment.

1) Anyone have some good additional items tieing up loose ends in the Weimar World timeline, fleshing out the latter years of the timeline, etc.?

2) Anyone interested in writing stories set in the Weimar World timeline? If so, let me know here, or PM me.

Estimating Weimar World to be one of the crownjuwels of AH.com (at least a Mont Blanc if you see the Chaos TL as a Mount Everest), I had quite a few ideas. Many may just affect the cosmetics of maps, others severely modify things.
  • First of all, further develop chains that abrupted at any decade. The aftermath e. g. of the South African War ITTL was that Dominion status was removed to end apartheid, that the Indians were (re-?)integrated virtually immediately into state and society, but the Negroes had to wait some ten or fifteen years. No aftermath after period Having a racially integrated society, ZA might regain Dominion status by the late 1970s. OTL Commonwealth excluded ZA in 1961 and let them rejoin in 1994 when majority rule took place. BTW, Nelson Mandela is born 1918, before the POD.
  • Make Choson the ATL's Far East Kosovo. A spectacular secession and the interesting reapproach between north and south.
  • Rechristen the NEA into something like Stettin League or similar. A Baltic defense might well be called an NEA, but it's already silly to call it so if you have landlocked Czechoslovakia as a founding member and it definitely becomes silly when Yugoslavia and even Greece and Turkey join.
  • Describe the melancholics of the French joining united Europe. I know that the idea has been dismissed in the official TL, but if the French metropolis gets ejected from their imperial roomshare in the 1980's, that process of reorientation might be inevitable. The French as the biggest Eurosceptics, but having no alternative to sacrifice Corsica and Sardinia, join a united currency etc. would be quite interesting. The rest of Western Europe not in the club should join as well (Switzerland might remain in ATL like in OTL).
  • The economics of European countries without the Iron Curtain (at least were it stood IOTL). The Czechs having problems with Belgian guest workers?
  • Scenes of a democracy: Jewish-Silesian politician talking about his and two other center-right partys' upcoming merger and why he finds it harder and harder to find kosher food in Breslau.
  • Tons of other stuff...

Glen

Estimating Weimar World to be one of the crownjuwels of AH.com (at least a Mont Blanc if you see the Chaos TL as a Mount Everest), I had quite a few ideas. Many may just affect the cosmetics of maps, others severely modify things.​

Thanks for the complements, and the suggestions.

First of all, further develop chains that abrupted at any decade. The aftermath e. g. of the South African War ITTL was that Dominion status was removed to end apartheid, that the Indians were (re-?)integrated virtually immediately into state and society, but the Negroes had to wait some ten or fifteen years. No aftermath after period Having a racially integrated society, ZA might regain Dominion status by the late 1970s. OTL Commonwealth excluded ZA in 1961 and let them rejoin in 1994 when majority rule took place. BTW, Nelson Mandela is born 1918, before the POD.

You are absolutely right that this needs to be developed further. I wonder who they'd go with the the UK/Indian split? Depends on how things develop. Probably India though as the majority would look upon them as liberators. I could see a white terrorist organization or three in that region, btw.

So, let's see you write some events and we'll get them in!

Make Choson the ATL's Far East Kosovo. A spectacular secession and the interesting reapproach between north and south.

Huh? I don't quite get where you're going with this. Could you elaborate?

Rechristen the NEA into something like Stettin League or similar. A Baltic defense might well be called an NEA, but it's already silly to call it so if you have landlocked Czechoslovakia as a founding member and it definitely becomes silly when Yugoslavia and even Greece and Turkey join.

It's as silly as OTL's North Atlantic Treaty Organization. NEA stays, I'm afraid.

Describe the melancholics of the French joining united Europe. I know that the idea has been dismissed in the official TL, but if the French metropolis gets ejected from their imperial roomshare in the 1980's, that process of reorientation might be inevitable. The French as the biggest Eurosceptics, but having no alternative to sacrifice Corsica and Sardinia, join a united currency etc. would be quite interesting. The rest of Western Europe not in the club should join as well (Switzerland might remain in ATL like in OTL).

I don't know about this. The French still have a lot of economic ties with their former Union, and they still have significant influence in the Lowlands and Switzerland. I can see them staying out for quite some time. I would not be opposed, however, to you or anyone else writing some events moving France closer and closer to united Europe, just so long as they don't contradict already existing events (and maps), and just so long as they don't join before the end of the timeline.

PS - I've been pondering a 'Weimar World, the Next 100 Years" extension of the timeline, so you might be setting the stage for some new events for that timeline....

The economics of European countries without the Iron Curtain (at least were it stood IOTL). The Czechs having problems with Belgian guest workers?

Interesting thought....elaborate.

Scenes of a democracy: Jewish-Silesian politician talking about his and two other center-right partys' upcoming merger and why he finds it harder and harder to find kosher food in Breslau.

You know, I have been asking for people interested in writing stories set in Weimar World. If you'd like to write a little story highlighting such things, I'll check it for continuity and it can be the first of the Tales of Weimar World...

Tons of other stuff...

Bring it on!​