AH Challenge: The Thousand Divisions of the Vatican.

So, put it simply, how could the Vatican have an army of a thousand divisions or more? In general, a great military power?

POD can go up to the time Diocese of Rome existed.

archaeogeek

Banned
Assuming we're talking about napoleonic square infantry divisions, assuming the smallest battalion establishment (about 800 men)... You are aware this means an army of six million, right?
It's downright ASB for any time period.

Zioneer

Banned
"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?"

*Stalin looks at a vast army of Papal infantry*

"Ah. That many."

Leaving humorous asides behind, a more serious answer is that six million troops is ASB, but if done correctly, 100,000 might not be impossible for a strong and high population Papal States.

Assuming we're talking about napoleonic square infantry divisions, assuming the smallest battalion establishment (about 800 men)... You are aware this means an army of six million, right?
It's downright ASB for any time period.

I think that the Soviets managed to put something just over 300 divisions in the field during WWII. 1,000 divisions would more or less equate, off the top of my head, to the Ruskies, Germans, Brits, 1940s French, and the Italians put together.

So if the Papacy directly controlled all Europe and big chunks of Asia, and mobilized for total war, it could work out. But then what the hell would they DO with 1,000 divisions? Conquer the world?

archaeogeek

Banned
"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?"

*Stalin looks at a vast army of Papal infantry*

"Ah. That many."

Leaving humorous asides behind, a more serious answer is that six million troops is ASB, but if done correctly, 100,000 might not be impossible for a strong and high population Papal States.

That's easy; Guelph dominated Italy leads to papal control of the Kingdom of Italy; by the napoleonic wars, of the 15-ish million people on the peninsula, 9 were living in the north and 6 in the south. Even without the Two-Sicilies a revolutionary era army from northern Italy can easily reach 1-2% of the population.

archaeogeek

Banned
I think that the Soviets managed to put something just over 300 divisions in the field during WWII. 1,000 divisions would more or less equate, off the top of my head, to the Ruskies, Germans, Brits, 1940s French, and the Italians put together.

So if the Papacy directly controlled all Europe and big chunks of Asia, and mobilized for total war, it could work out. But then what the hell would they DO with 1,000 divisions? Conquer the world?

From my experience of getting all my coastal provinces besieged in EU3 with a navy three the size I could afford suddenly turning into 20 times as much as I could afford: go bankrupt in 6 months :p

What pretty much is needed here is the pope becoming ruler of all of Europe, and Europe setting out to conquer the world in the name of the one and only, holy catholic church.

Problem is then: why having divisions of military at all? If the pope rules Europe uncontested in, say, 1500, you'd need a major POD to have something remain independent and non-catholic.

archaeogeek

Banned
What pretty much is needed here is the pope becoming ruler of all of Europe, and Europe setting out to conquer the world in the name of the one and only, holy catholic church.

Problem is then: why having divisions of military at all? If the pope rules Europe uncontested in, say, 1500, you'd need a major POD to have something remain independent and non-catholic.

To keep it; they're the popes, a papal ruled Europe would probably have even more rebellions :p

Grey Wolf

Donor
The only way to do it is to have the THEORY where all Catholic rulers receive their crown from the Pope and are thus subjects of him become a reality. Thus, in a sort of Crusade-like moment the Pope could call to arms all Catholic kingdoms... Of course they would only respond in a dire emergency, yon Pope don't get to cry WOLF here

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I guess the Vatican takes over China, doubles it's current army size (or gets into a total war with India and enlists all 600,000,000 people (males and females) who are fit for service)