AH Challenge: Make "Pencil Neck Geek" a number one hit

Professional wrestler "Classy" Freddie Blassie released this in 1977:

Your challenge is to make it hit Number One on the Billboard charts.

Bonus points if it stays there at least three weeks.

Double bonus points if it hits number one worldwide.

Triple bonus points if it is the bestselling single of 1977.

Quadruple bonus points if it wins a Grammy.

Hell, have Paul McCartney cover it; at the time he could have written anything and it would have gone to #1...

Paul McCartney singing "Pencil Neck Geek" is one of the most surreal things I can imagine....

Okay, challenge accepted...

Have the song be prominent in a popular movie.

Paul McCartney singing "Pencil Neck Geek" - on the soundtrack of Smokey and the Bandit. Instead of "sumbitch", Buford T. Justice's catch phrase is "pencil neck geek". Instead of Jerry Reed, Ed Begley, Jr. plays a geeky version of Cledus "Snowman" Snow, and Justice takes a special hatred for him as a pencil necked geek.

That would require a bit of a rewrite. I don't think Justice ever laid eyes on Snowman until the third movie. And then he was posing as the bandit.
I watched the movies tons of times as a kid, but it's been 30+ years. Did Justice even know about the semi in the first movie or was he just chasing the Bandit's car all the time?

Last edited:
That would require a bit of a rewrite. I don't think Justice ever laid eyes on Snowman until the third movie. And then he was posing as the bandit.
I watched the movies tons of times as a kid, but it's been 30+ years. Did Justice even know about the semi in the first movie or was he just chasing the Bandit's car all the time?
The film was largely improvised as I understand it, and Gleason was given a great deal of lee way to ad lib and make additions/suggestions. And he did so very much. Both the diner (choke and puke) scene and having junior along were Gleason improvements, and sumbitch was all his. I'm sure he could get it added in if he wanted. :)

Circa 1989 one of my officer peers in the Marine corps earned this as his nick name. Despite being athletic and having a forceful personality when necessary Daves education in the social sciences, his habit of overthinking things when planning, and fussy demeanor made him the butt of assorted nerd and geek jokes on a near daily basis. When I recalled Blassies song and repeated a few lyrics it brought the barroom to tears and sealed poor Daves fate.

First heard Blassies performance on the old Dr Demento show in 1979. It was a regular, frequently requested by callers to the Doctor. One of the local stations got a two hour feed of the Demento show every Sunday night, making a nice cap to my weekends.

Last edited: