AH Challenge: Make national flags with the images/symbols of food

Flags. They can vary from simile colors, to elaborate patterns of symbols and images of a nation, like religious icons, people, animals, swords or even guns. Yet, one thing that I can't remember, is the imagery of food on a flag. Sure, there might be small like probably grape vines or olives branches, but nothing like a dish that serves as the imagery of a nation. The only flag that has food as an imagery is this one flag from Iceland, (with the image of stockfish) that was create by a Danish man who attempted to make Iceland Independent from Denmark.

So, the challenge here for this thread, is make a national flags or national flags include the imagery of food. It can be fruit, a vegetable, or even a dish if you want to be ambitious.

Of the three main constituents of the coat of arms of Mexico, one is captured serving the role of food.

The cornucopia, a horn-shaped container overflowing with produce, flowers, or nuts, is a pretty common motif in flags and coats of arms. One could easily see the cornucopia being the main symbol on a flag. The bundles of wheat motif could also be added to it.

Some examples:

wIeJq38.png

Last edited:
1649391397229.png

Andora has two cows in the coat of arms of their flag representing Beef and Dairy.
1649394880600.png

Moldova has the head of an auroch a extinct breed of cattle which was hunted by humans in the early years of humanity.
1649395183423.png

Croatia has a goat in its top shield which is used mainly for dairy but can be used for meat.
1649396083534.png

Republic of Fiji has the coat of arms, with sugarcane, coconut on the palm tree and a bunch of banana

This sounds like a fun and interesting challenge.

There are a number of flags that feature olive branches. There's the national flag of Cyprus, and various flags of Israel, such as the flag of the Israel Defense Forces. Then there's the maple leaf on the Canadian flag. So maybe an alt-Israel flag that bears the emblem of the IDF?

I have seen roses feature in some English noble houses. So perhaps you could have the rose on an English or British flag in an alternate world?

I think though we're going to be limited by the fabric dyes available to the regions in question. It also depends on how detailed you want your flags to be. I can imagine pomegranates, grapes, dates, olives, various herbs, wheat and bread (for example) appearing on national flags. But dishes are a different matter. Most dishes tend to be regional rather than national. Italy I think is a well known example in how dishes can vary from region to region.

One idea that popped in my head was flags bearing the ingredients of a popular spice blend used in that country. For example, zaatar or Persian advieh or Moroccan ras-el-hanout.

Again we will be limited to the available fabric dyes. So perhaps the food item(s) and/or dishes start off as the seal of a powerful noble house. Their seal later becomes the emblem on a national flag.

I will have to give this some thought. :)

Last edited:
This sounds like a fun and interesting challenge.

There are a number of flags that feature olive branches. There's the national flag of Cyprus, and various flags of Israel, such as the flag of the Israel Defense Forces. Then there's the maple leaf on the Canadian flag. So maybe an alt-Israel flag that bears the emblem of the IDF?

I have seen roses feature in some English noble houses. So perhaps you could have the rose on an English or British flag in an alternate world?

I think though we're going to be limited by the fabric dyes available to the regions in question. It also depends on how detailed you want your flags to be. I can imagine pomegranates, grapes, dates, olives, various herbs, wheat and bread (for example) appearing on national flags. But dishes are a different matter. Most dishes tend to be regional rather than national. Italy I think is a well known example in how dishes can vary from region to region.

One idea that popped in my head was flags bearing the ingredients of a popular spice blend used in that country. For example, zaatar or Persian advieh or Moroccan ras-el-hanout.

Again we will be limited to the available fabric dyes. So perhaps the food item(s) and/or dishes start off as the seal of a powerful noble house. Their seal later becomes the emblem on a national flag.

I will have to give this some thought. :)
Turmeric and [more expensively] Saffron could be depicted simply by dyeing the flag with them...

In those terms any animal that isn’t poisonous can be eaten, eagles would be included.

"Let me rephrase that: People do eat doves/pigeons too.
M'mmm, pigeon pie..."

but AFAIK eagles are not a regular part of any culture's cuisine.

Turmeric and [more expensively] Saffron could be depicted simply by dyeing the flag with them...
If we're including spices, then the flag of Grenada (with nutmeg) would count...

Yes, this is true with dying the flag with saffron or turmeric. Though I think a flag bearing a saffron crocus would be a lot prettier. I love saffron flowers. :)
The more I think about it, spices seem to be one of the most likely possibilities. Wealthy nobles and successful merchants like to show-off their status by hosting dinner parties of exotically spiced foods. They love the spices so much they become part of the emblem of their seal. Centuries later their seal is the national flag. Or... a region well known for growing saffron takes the flower as its national flag.
Now I am picturing Simorg carrying a saffron crocus over Kaveh's anvil as an alternate flag of Persia.

The religious and medicinal significance of some herbs and spices can play a major role too.

Last edited: