After War of the Worlds

Wasn't there a reference in the original work of a cylinder landing in Texas and being destroyed by the local militia?

No that was in a compilation of War of the Worlds stories written by a few authors. The name of the compilation escapes my mind at the moment...

Wasn't there a reference in the original work of a cylinder landing in Texas and being destroyed by the local militia?

If we count the sequels by other authors in TTL's 1900 the tripods landed in:

US (Texas, New England, Missouri, New Orleans, Alaska)
Congo Free State
Cuba (at least 1, during the US Invasion, it features Teddy Roosevelt)
Russia
China
Paris
South Africa (tripods land during the Boer War)
Italy
India

Teddy Roosevelt vs. The Tripods, me likey.

I'll do a map for all the places the Martians landed ( in the sequels as they only Land in south England in the original)

That is if anyone is interested?

No that was in a compilation of War of the Worlds stories written by a few authors. The name of the compilation escapes my mind at the moment...

War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches (1997), edited by Kevin J. Anderson.

http://www.amazon.com/War-Worlds-Di...&keywords=war+of+the+worlds+global+dispatches

The description from Library Journal states that:
Library Journal said:
Leading sf authors Robert Silverberg, Barbara Hambly, Allen Steele, Gergory Benford, Connie Willis, and 14 others imagine H.G. Wells's Martian invasion from points around the world as written by notable 19th-century authors and personages such as Teddy Roosevelt, Picasso, Einstein, Tolstoy, Verne, and Mark Twain.

Very uneven, continuity ragged, and as Reggie Bartlett cites, all over the map. I saw a letter from a Brazilian complaining that there were no Southern Hemisphere representatives. (He had written a story of his own about a cylinder landing in Brazil, but I never saw the story.)

Well possibly, I believe that Britain would become an unstable country with shortages of food and wealth after the "great martian war" as it is called. Britain world wide would be seen as a victim of a curious invasion or weak country who could not defend it own land from this "savage creatures".

When Australia lost many troops after ww2, we invited migrant under the phrase "populate or perish" because we needed to rebuild Australia after the war. I think something similar would happen to Britain as much of the population was lost in the war as it states in the book and along with many buildings. By the mid 1900s to early 1910s, Britain would be filled with white migrants from countries like Germany, Scandinavia, France and other "civilised" countries. If this is popular with the other natives, that's another question.

For techongly, there would be countries trying to decode the martian technology, this would change the military if successful, but it would only slightly change civilian life as much of the martian tec would be used for millatry perspous, not civilian.

220px-War_of_the_Worlds-_Goliath.jpg

This also exists