Affiliated States of Boreoamerica thread

Gian

Banned
BTW, I was actually thinking about this as a corollary to the map, but I wanted some way to distinguish the Confederal Highways from the rest of the ASB's road network, and that led me to what Canada's highway system (and more specifically, the Trans-Canada Highway). That led me to use the base designs for the Confederal Highway's shields:
TCH-blank.png

Basically, they'd still be painted green (albeit in homage to the ASB's flag much like U.S.'s Interstate Shield), with the turtle replacing the maple leaf. The top bar displays the word "Confederal" (or their equivalent in the dominant European language), while the bottom displays the name of the state in the local language (all in the Latin alphabet). At the center is a two- or three-letter code displayed for each highway in the dominant language of the states the road traverses with:
APL - Laurentian Turnpike (Autoroute à péage laurentien)
ATH - Athawomini
CR - Confederal Road
CT - Cumberland Turnpike
GRN - Great Northern Road (Grand route du Nord)
OPR - Old Post Road
RMA - Acadia Military Road (Route militaire acadienne)
RP - Great Trunk Road (Route principale; Name is in French because it traverses through much of the Upper Country and Huronia)
RPO - Western Trunk Road (Route principale de l'Ouest)

Last edited:

Gian

Banned
BTW, just to give you a sample of what they look like in practice, here are three shields:
Left - Great Trunk Road near Boston
Center - Old Post Road near New Amsterdam
Right - Western Trunk Road near Peoria
text447.png

It's amazing to see this coming together like this.

Delaware Bay's most usual name is The Poutaxat or Poutaxat Bay. Virginians still use the name Delaware, but even other English speakers have mostly shifted to the Lenape name.

Could I suggest Wrightsville as the name of Ottawa/Gatineau on the map? I have some ideas for that area (hometown pride :p ), if I ever get around to writing them out.

Last edited:

Gian

Banned
Could I suggest Wrightsville as the name of Ottawa/Gatineau on the map? I have some ideas for that area (hometown pride :p ), if I ever get around to writing them out.

From just glancing his Wikipedia page, seem to Anglo-y to be the founder of a town deep in the heart of French Boreoamerica (especially one so close to the boonies where Anishinaabe and Innu live)

And yet, he was the founder of what became Hull/Gatineau OTL. The Ottawa river had a major logging industry for most of the nineteenth century, and Hull was where most of the paper mills were established. Plus, there's plenty of precedent for Yankees setting out into the wilderness iTTL to found new colonies- just look at Upper Connecticut or Ashkany, which would have only been established a generation or so before Wright.

Gian

Banned
And yet, he was the founder of what became Hull/Gatineau OTL. The Ottawa river had a major logging industry for most of the nineteenth century, and Hull was where most of the paper mills were established. Plus, there's plenty of precedent for Yankees setting out into the wilderness iTTL to found new colonies- just look at Upper Connecticut or Ashkany, which would have only been established a generation or so before Wright.

Oh yeah.

Do you think it should remain a Yankee outpost to the present like UC and Ashkany, or become a typical Canadian town with an oddly English name?

So I've only ever really been an observer, but recently I've felt compelled to maybe possibly throw in my two cents;
mozambiquetypethingy.png

Here's an idea for this universes equivalent to Mozambique, now it would have still been colonized by the Portuguese and much of its history would have probably been similar to our timelines Mozambique, with the major difference being that the Portuguese and placed more emphasis on developing the region as a whole, so by the time that the nation gains independence, they end up a bit better off economically. Using this better position in life, they manage to "convince" some of their less sable neighbors to join them in a Southern African Union, and have in recent years been turning their attention towards the Congo region.

BTW, I managed to do this on my spare time a few days ago:
topographic.png

Huh. I never realized the highest point in the ASB was in East Dominica.
The highest point on the mainland would then be Mount Mitchell, which is either in Watauga or on the Carolina-Watauga border.