Affiliated States of Boreoamerica thread

Yep, for Rupertia! Thanks so much!! And yeah, sure, that would be great.

IDK if this is better or worse TBH. I cleaned up the stripes and tried to clean up the shield but I'm worried it's too pixellated at the bottom.
What do you think?

Rupertia flag - ASB.jpg

Not an easy question to answer. I started the spreadsheet in mid-December as part of some research on immigration (which I am still working on, bit by bit), but I stopped working on it for a while due to real life getting busy. While I was on a productivity kick, I finished it all up over the course of a couple of nights. Overall, I'd estimate maybe 6-8 hours.

I mean wow. That's just amazing. It's definitely a great start (Admittedly, I could see a good chunk of the numbers changing as the TL further develops).

Still, it's really fascinating to see your thought process for this. So thank you for the explanation!

Out of curiosity, are the presumed Creole languages of the ASB simply filed under French, English, Indigenious, etc.? Or will the numbers be simply modified to take into account whatever new info is added to the TL?

You'll have to forgive my limited graphical capabilities, but maybe something like this? (Manitoba's otl coat of arms works really well here imo)

That looks fantastic! And you're right - Manitoba's Coat of Arms does look very nice with the blanket.

Thinking about the HBC connection/the fact that these blankets were traded for Beaver belts though, it might make sense to replace the bison with a beaver done in a style invoking the art of Rupertia's Indigenous/Metis population (says the person who has no graphical talent).

Still though, amazing flag idea!

Out of curiosity, are the presumed Creole languages of the ASB simply filed under French, English, Indigenious, etc.? Or will the numbers be simply modified to take into account whatever new info is added to the TL?

I did not consider creole languages at all, so it's up into the air. As for updating with new information, I admit that I haven't been terribly good at updating my posts when they conflict with canon, so ideally yes, realistically no.

That looks fantastic! And you're right - Manitoba's Coat of Arms does look very nice with the blanket.

Thinking about the HBC connection/the fact that these blankets were traded for Beaver belts though, it might make sense to replace the bison with a beaver done in a style invoking the art of Rupertia's Indigenous/Metis population (says the person who has no graphical talent).

Still though, amazing flag idea!

A beaver is also a possibility, but bison were also centrally important to most indigenous peoples in the prairies, culturally and as a food source. Bison hunting also had an important role to play in the fur trade, as pemmican made from bison was the standard foodstuff of fur-trading voyageurs from around the turn of the 19th century onwards- it's calorically dense, easy to transport, and can keep for literal years if stored right, so it represented a major improvement on their previous diet of salt pork and hardtack. The HBC had a number of trading posts across the prairies that were essentially mass-producing pemmican, with a labour force of mostly indigenous women and children- it was this massive demand for pemmican that almost drove the bison to extinction on the Canadian prairies. The bison hunt was also very important to the emergence of the Metis people- arguably their first governmental institutions were their annual buffalo hunts, which had elected chiefs and councils, and an agreed-upon list of Laws of the Hunt that later became the basis for local government in some Metis communities.

Last edited:
As for updating with new information, I admit that I haven't been terribly good at updating my posts when they conflict with canon, so ideally yes, realistically no.
Fair enough
A beaver is also a possibility, but bison were also centrally important to most indigenous peoples in the prairies, culturally and as a food source. Bison hunting also had an important role to play in the fur trade, as pemmican made from bison was the standard foodstuff of fur-trading voyageurs from around the turn of the 19th century onwards- it's calorically dense, easy to transport, and can keep for literal years if stored right, so it represented a major improvement on their previous diet of salt pork and hardtack. The HBC had a number of trading posts across the prairies that were essentially mass-producing pemmican, with a labour force of mostly indigenous women and children- it was this massive demand for pemmican that almost drove the bison to extinction on the Canadian prairies. The bison hunt was also very important to the emergence of the Metis people- arguably their first governmental institutions were their annual buffalo hunts, which had elected chiefs and councils, and an agreed-upon list of Laws of the Hunt that later became the basis for local government in Metis communities.

Those are all pretty good points. Admittedly, I was thinking along the lines that if Rupertians decided to go all out with using the point blanket as an inspiration for the flag, they might choose the beaver since it seems to be the most strongly associated trade good with the blanket. Based on what you said though, it also seems possibly that trading the blankets for pemmican might supersede the association the blanket has of with beaver belts ITTL. And of course, they could just use the bison purely because it seems cooler than the beaver - which is also a very fair point.

I wonder if any one state does claim the beaver as a symbol though- Canada, New Netherland, Huronia and the Pays d'en haut could all justifiably claim it.

I wonder if any one state does claim the beaver as a symbol though- Canada, New Netherland, Huronia and the Pays d'en haut could all justifiably claim it.

Hmm - not really sure. This list of U.S. state mammals has the Beaver as the official mammal of both New York and Oregon. The White-tailed deer (surprising to me at least) also seems to be a really popular choice for official state mammal. It might end up being a super common state mammal in the ASB too - assuming the states ITTL want to designate a state mammal.

Also considering the importance of the turtle as a symbol in the ASB, a lot of states might have some variant of turtle as the state reptile (maybe a large majority) or even the state animal in general.

Last edited:
Hmm - not really sure. This list of U.S. state mammals has the Beaver as the official mammal of both New York and Oregon. The White-tailed deer (surprising to me at least) also seems to be a really popular choice for official state mammal. It might end up being a super common state mammal in the ASB too - assuming the states ITTL want to designate a state mammal.

Also considering the importance of the turtle as a symbol in the ASB, a lot of states might have some variant of turtle as the state reptile (maybe a large majority) or even the state animal in general.

Who knows, maybe the sea otter is Oregon's state animal ittl!

I'm currently making a Mosaic Earth and debating what to put in the USA. So far I've locked in California from A Golden Island to the West, Texas (only the Texas Commonwealth) from Lone Star Republic, five states (Transylvania, Georgia, West and East Florida, and Mayaimi) from the Union of American Realms. and New England from Our Fair Country; I also want to take at least the Northeast and Pacific Northwest from A More Perfect Union. Currently my two remaining main contenders for the region are TTL and Oh I Wish I Was in Dixie. I'd ideally like to take the most important, powerful and/or unique regions from TTL.
P.S. Sorry for the necro.

Gian

Banned
I'm currently making a Mosaic Earth and debating what to put in the USA. So far I've locked in California from A Golden Island to the West, Texas (only the Texas Commonwealth) from Lone Star Republic, five states (Transylvania, Georgia, West and East Florida, and Mayaimi) from the Union of American Realms. and New England from Our Fair Country; I also want to take at least the Northeast and Pacific Northwest from A More Perfect Union. Currently my two remaining main contenders for the region are TTL and Oh I Wish I Was in Dixie. I'd ideally like to take the most important, powerful and/or unique regions from TTL.
P.S. Sorry for the necro.

Ah that's OK. I don't know what @False Dmitri's cooking up lately, but I think it'll be great.

Anyways, I'm making (another) map of potentially the ASB, but also for something based on it.

Gian

Banned
Oh. By that, you mean making up new names for settlements? Or looking up obscure settlements that would have thrived to the present day ITTL?

Trying to look up names for settlements that fit the primary culture of it inhabitants (especially for the Old Northwest as many of the initial settlers IOTL were Anglophone Americans that simply won't be as widespread ITTL