AFA: American Football Association

Chapter 1: Death of a Sport

Teddy Roosevelt loved American football. Even though he never played the game himself, President Roosevelt wanted to save the game. He would not only need to save the game from the likes of Charles W. Eliot, the President of Harvard University, but he would also need to save it from itself. By 1905 the game had essentially turned into a glorified bar fight. The game had few rules and the ones they had were routinely ignored. In 1905 alone 18 college and amateur players died playing the game. Something needed to change to help save the sport and President Roosevelt felt like he could bring about that change.

On October 9th, 1905, the President held a meeting with football representatives from Harvard, Princeton and Yale. He lectured the men in attendance that eliminating deaths and reducing injuries was essential for the future of the game. After some resistance, rule changes were made at a meeting of the Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States which took place in New York City on December 28th, 1905. This included the outlawing of gang tackling and rugby-style mass tackling, increasing the distance to 10 yards to get a first down, the establishment of a neutral zone at the line of scrimmage and the introduction of the forward pass.

President Roosevelt helped arranged that one of the first games of the upcoming season would be between Harvard University and the United States Military Academy in Washington D.C on September 22nd, 1906. The goal was to show that the new rules would work in making the game less violent. In attendance was the President, many members of Congress and many officials from both schools. Theodore Roosevelt III was a member of the Harvard squad. The game started with marvelous results and at halftime the score was 3-0 Harvard. However in the middle of the 3rd quarter, disaster struck. All-American Daniel Hurley, a halfback for Harvard, had broken free and had a great 15 yard run. The Army defensive player that finally got to him launched at Hurley, hitting him square in the chest which resulted in Hurley being thrown back. His head whiplashed as it hit the ground which instantly snapped his neck and killed him.

The game was immediately called off. President Roosevelt realized that type of injury could happen to anyone playing the game, including his own son. The following Monday he made a public declaration that rule changes could not go far enough to clean up the game and he advocated ending the game. This gave Charles W. Eliot and his allies all the ammunition they needed. The Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States had an emergency later that week. Under a large amount of public pressure, they canceled the rest of the season and discontented the sport at the Varsity collegiate level. Rapidly many states began banning the sport and in 1907 Congress passed and President Roosevelt signed a bill that banned the game across the nation.

It took a couple years, but American Football was essentially dead by 1910. However, many former players wanted to continue to participate in sports, especially one with some physical contact. Many of these former American footballers found exactly that when they discovered another game that was called football.

Last edited:
If this scenario happened, then it's possible that association football (soccer) would have replaced American football as the new, fast-growing sport in the nation by the beginning of the 1920's. And by the time of the first FIFA World Cup in 1930, the USA would be a superpower in the sport--and in the ATL 2014, everyone will be bemoaning why either the USA, Brazil and Argentina are dominating the sport. :D

Chapter 2: Genesis of the AFA

Association Football, called both football and soccer depending on who you talk to, was a distant cousin to the recently banned American football. Before Walter Camp’s rule changes that established a line of scrimmage and down regulations during the 1880’s, American football was really a hodgepodge of both association football and rugby. In fact, the first official collegiate football game between Princeton and Rutgers in 1869 involved a game where 25 men per team tried to kick a ball into an opposing team’s goal. Carrying and throwing the ball was illegal, but there was tons of tackling.

Football as we know it today officially took form in England in 1863. In a series of meetings at the end of that year, The Football Association (FA) published the “Laws of Football.” These rules included a prohibition of carrying the ball and kicking an opposing player in the shin. This resulted in a formal split with many clubs that wished to play a more physical game that we know now as rugby. The rules took off in England throughout the decade. By the 1870’s, there was first international game between England and Scotland with the first professional league formed in 1888.

Association football in the United States really took off in the 1870’s. There was no governing body overseeing the regional leagues that were being formed or the rules that these leagues were using. Established in 1884, the American Football Association (AFA) was formed with the goal of standardizing the rules for leagues in northern New Jersey and southern New York. These efforts were successful and by 1888 there jurisdiction expanded into both Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. In 1887 the AFA organized the American Cup, which was the first non-league cup in United States football history. Internal conflicts lead to the suspension of the cup between 1899 and 1906.

These internal conflicts in the AFA subsided once the officials in the league realized they had the opportunity in the wake of the Daniel Hurley tragedy. They realized that the American public and sportsmen across the country would be hungry for a sport to take the place of the now banned American football. Also there were rival associations that were beginning to pop up. The AFA dreamed of being the official football association in the United States of America, with all of American football leagues under their supervision. They needed legitimacy and they got that when they met with President Roosevelt on July 18th, 1907.

President Roosevelt too realized that the United States needed a new sport to replace American Football. While he was not as big of a fan of Association football as he was of the American variety, he did recognize its strengths. During the meeting, President Roosevelt agreed to give his support to AFA in their goal to put all of the nation’s leagues under one umbrella.

This Presidential endorsement allowed the AFA to go about and expand its influence. By the end of the decade, the AFA was the main governing body for all major football leagues in the United States from Boston to St. Louis. It also gave them the legitimacy they needed internationally. At the end of 1908 they allied with the FA in England and in 1912 they joined Argentina and Chile as the first nations from the Americas to join the International Federation of Association Football (FIFA).

The popularity of the sport slowly grew during the early teens. The game took off in American universities as schools like Harvard, Princeton, St. Louis and the US Military Academy. Yet most sports historians view America’s entry into the First World War in 1917 as the main catalyst for football becoming the nation’s 2nd largest sport by the end of the 1920’s.

Last edited:

Gian

Banned
This is interesting to see the rise of (global) football in the USA.

I wonder what's the most popular American sport ITTL?

This is interesting to see the rise of (global) football in the USA.

I wonder what's the most popular American sport ITTL?

At the current point of this timeline it is still baseball by a huge margin, but by 2014 it is a tie between baseball, basketball and football.

Does this mean that the U.S. actually does better in the World Cup in 1930?

That would increase the popularity of soccer a thousandfold...

I'd like to know the teams in the U.S.

Chapter 3: Early League Play (1890-1917)

The early days of league play in the United States was a jumbled mess. Each region in the United States had their own leagues and before 1910 the rules would differ in each league. Some leagues would play the official FA rules while others played a hybrid game of Association football and ruby. Also the clubs in each league would vary in their classification. Early on most were amateur teams with some being semi-professional. The early 1900’s saw the rise of fully professional clubs such as St. Leo’s in St. Louis, Missouri. Getting the full picture at this time was extremely difficult, but it is clear that there were essentially 2 top leagues at the time. They were the National Association Football League and the St. Louis Soccer League.

National Association Football League (NAFBL)

The oldest league was the National Association Football League (NAFBL) which was formed in 1895. The league originally consisted of teams primarily from northern New Jersey and New York City. They started affiliated with the American Football Association (AFA), the first top league to do so. The league was forced to fold 1899 due to the Spanish-American War and an economic depression, however the league was revived 7 years later in 1906. By America’s entry into World War I the NAFBL had grown into a 12 team league, had expanded into Eastern Pennsylvania and had established themselves as the premier football league in America.

League Champions
1895: Centreville A.C.
1895-1896: No Standings Available
1896-1897: Scottish Americans
1897-1898: Paterson True Blues
1898-1899: Paterson True Blues
1900-1905: League Folded
1906-1907: West Hudson A.A.
1907-1908: Newark F.C.
1908-1909: East Newark Clark A.A. / West Hudson A.A.
1909-1910: West Hudson A.A.
1910-1911: Jersey A.C.
1911-1912: West Hudson A.A.
1912-1913: West Hudson A.A.
1913-1914: Brooklyn F.C.
1914-1915: West Hudson A.A.
1915-1916: Harrison Alley Boys
1916-1917: Jersey A.C.

League Teams for the start of the 1917-1918 Season:
Bethlehem Steel F.C., Brooklyn F.C., Bronx United, Harrison Alley Boys, Jersey F.C., Kearney Scots, New York F.C. Newark Ironsides, Paterson Rangers, Paterson True Blues, Philadelphia Merchant Ships and West Hudson A.A.

qLRoDe3.png

St. Louis Soccer League (SLSL)

In the Midwest the top league was the St. Louis Soccer League (SLSL). Formed in 1907 and merged with the rival Association Foot Ball League in 1908, the SLSL illustrates the best example of issues that were present due to leagues mixed with amateur and professional teams. St. Leo’s moved over to the SLSL after the merger and at the time was the only professional team in the league. They came to dominate the league, winning every championship between 1908 and 1913. This caused the league to split into two leagues, one professional and one amateur. After only two years after the split the league merged back together and all of the amateur teams folded, making the SLSL the first fully professional league in the United States.

League Champions
1907-1908: Innisfails
1908-1909: St. Leo’s
1909-1910: St. Leo’s
1910-1911: St. Leo’s
1911-1912: St. Leo’s
1912-1913: St. Leo’s
1913-1914: St. Leo’s / Columbus Club
1914-1915: St. Leo’s / Innisfail
1915-1916: Ben Millers
1916-1917: Ben Millers

League Teams for the start of the 1917-1918 Season:
Ben Miller, Innisfails, Naval Reserves and St. Leo’s

Last edited:
Does this mean that the U.S. actually does better in the World Cup in 1930?

That would increase the popularity of soccer a thousandfold...

I'd like to know the teams in the U.S.

I'll get into the first World Cup and the US national team in a couple chapters.

Chapter 4: Football Goes To War (1917-1920)

The United States joined the Great War on April 6th, 1917 after finally having enough of German U-boats sinking U.S. merchant ships. With the passage of the Selective Service Act, it drafted over 2.8 million men to fight and by the summer of 1918 it was sending 10,000 fresh solders every day. The American troops were greeted enthusiastically by the Allied armies in France as they realized that Germany would not be able to match this influx of manpower. The Americans took part in the final Allied offensive, Hundred Days Offensive, which finally ended the war on November 11th, 1918.

World War One was also a pivotal moment for the development of football in the United States. Association football was almost unheard of in the South and it was just starting to develop on the West Coast. The War exposed the game to thousands. One has to remember that for many Americans this was the first time they had ever left their hometown, let alone the country. When troops were far from the lines during R&R they would participate in football matches against other solders from all over the United States and Allied nations.

When the G.I.’s began to return in 1919 they brought back their love for the sport. Universities that did not sponsor the game began to do so. New clubs and leagues began to spring up all across the nation. Most were not even close to the level of the top clubs in the Northeast and St. Louis, but they assisted in generating interest in the game in new areas. By 1920 there were over 100 clubs in the United States and the top leagues realized they needed to strike when the iron was hot.

I'm currently trying to come up with team teams for American football clubs and I'm struggling to do just that, so I thought I'd ask my few readers. I know what cities I want to have teams, but I'm having issues with team names. Here are some of questions I am currently asking:

1. Do I go with the North American convention of naming sports teams (City/State/Location/University and Nickname) or do I go with the European style (just the city name/city name + FC, AC, SC, AA, Sporting, Athletic, City, Year founded etc.)? Many of the original football clubs in the United States used the European style, but I imagine that the officials of these leagues would want to try to draw fans of the MLB and college sports by having names that they would be familiar with. Most likely I would have a mix of the two, sort of like how the MLS is now, but what would you think the balance should be?

2. Thoughts on companies having the naming rights to teams? I was thinking Ford, Chevrolet, Coca Cola, etc could be the name of teams in their headquarter cities. Also using MLB team names if they have the same owner (i.e. New York Yankees FC, Chicago Cubs FC, etc.)

3. Thoughts of using MLS, NASL or NFL team names? I would find it weird without there being at least a few Seattle Sounders, Chicago Bears, New York Cosmos, etc.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Also if anyone is interested in helping me in making logos, let me know!

1) As far as team conventions, you could use a combination of both. Your TL already has teams named after the European model, but OTL's MLS has both and both could be used. Teams more heavily influenced by European conventions could use the European convention but newer teams may well choose to have the aggressive name. I'd go with teams based in established areas (particularly the Northeast and Rust Belt) having the European naming conventions and teams particularly in the west using actual names.

2) I would think that naming teams after companies and other sports teams would be a bad idea if for no other reason than the cheapening of the brand that could easily result. Besides, the great baseball team names were by 1920 already very well established, and I cannot see a lot of people liking the idea of mooching off of other names. As for companies, unless these companies are directly owned by the companies, I don't see it being much help in terms of growing a wide fanbase growing for them, and a lot of companies would probably not approve. It might work where the name makes sense (i.e. New York Red Bulls), but in most cases I don't think it would be helpful to the team

3) I see no reason why a lot of them wouldn't work. Many of the MLS teams are perfectly named indeed - Columbus Crew, Chicago Fire, Los Angeles Galaxy, Seattle Sounders FC - but if there is no gridiron football, why not? The New York Giants, New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions, Seattle Seahawks, Miami Dolphins and Denver Broncos cannot work as association football squads.

One thought that occurs to me is what happens for those who love contact sports? Does the lack of gridiron football mean we get a popularity for rugby or (gasp) Aussie Rules football?

1) As far as team conventions, you could use a combination of both. Your TL already has teams named after the European model, but OTL's MLS has both and both could be used. Teams more heavily influenced by European conventions could use the European convention but newer teams may well choose to have the aggressive name. I'd go with teams based in established areas (particularly the Northeast and Rust Belt) having the European naming conventions and teams particularly in the west using actual names.

2) I would think that naming teams after companies and other sports teams would be a bad idea if for no other reason than the cheapening of the brand that could easily result. Besides, the great baseball team names were by 1920 already very well established, and I cannot see a lot of people liking the idea of mooching off of other names. As for companies, unless these companies are directly owned by the companies, I don't see it being much help in terms of growing a wide fanbase growing for them, and a lot of companies would probably not approve. It might work where the name makes sense (i.e. New York Red Bulls), but in most cases I don't think it would be helpful to the team

3) I see no reason why a lot of them wouldn't work. Many of the MLS teams are perfectly named indeed - Columbus Crew, Chicago Fire, Los Angeles Galaxy, Seattle Sounders FC - but if there is no gridiron football, why not? The New York Giants, New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers, Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions, Seattle Seahawks, Miami Dolphins and Denver Broncos cannot work as association football squads.

One thought that occurs to me is what happens for those who love contact sports? Does the lack of gridiron football mean we get a popularity for rugby or (gasp) Aussie Rules football?

Guessing you meant "can work as association football squads?"

Rugby is discouraged in the United States after the banning of gridiron football, but it still lives on because it was not nearly the issue of American football. Aussie Rules remains as that developed on its own. Also I am imagining that at some point (probably in the 50's or 60's) the Supreme Court will rule that you cannot ban a sport and gridiron football will come back, but by then it will be viewed as a low level sport and the NCAA will not sponsor it like Boxing or Ruby.

Gian

Banned
This is interesting. Will certainly follow.

I'm also thinking that, with soccer popular among Americans, maybe it then strengthens its position in Philippine sport (after all, soccer was introduced to it by the Spaniards), perhaps leading to the Azkals becoming regular players in the World Cup (maybe in the 1980s and beyond).

Also, I wouldn't mind if some NFL names (like the Giants, Patriots, Redskins, Cowboys, and Broncos) could serve as AFA names, since gridiron football never becomes popular.

Last edited:
This is interesting. Will certainly follow.

I'm also thinking that, with soccer popular among Americans, maybe it then strengthens its position in Philippine sport (after all, soccer was introduced to it by the Spaniards), perhaps leading to the Azkals becoming regular players in the World Cup (maybe in the 1980s and beyond).

Also, I wouldn't mind if some NFL names (like the Giants, Patriots, Redskins, Cowboys, and Broncos) could serve as AFA names, since gridiron football never becomes popular.

Did not even think of the Philippines. What is the top sport there now? Baseball?