Adam's first wife Lillith is not cut out of the Bible

curious

Banned
Most people do not know that Adam had two wives. You can easily prove this to yourself by reading the two entirely different accounts of the creation of humans.

Genesis 1:27 describes humans being created in God's image, male and female. "So God created humans in his image. In the image of God he created them. He created them male and female." Note that the word Woman is not used here.

Some translations use the word "man" instead of humans. The word "man" here is being used as representing humankind, so humans is a more accurate translation. This definition of the word man is taken from dictionary.com "a member of the species Homo sapiens or all the members of this species collectively, without regard to sex". We know that God was talking about two humans here because the Bible continues:

"God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it."

So, in this description God created male and female in His image and then told them to be fruitful and increase in number....

The Bible gives us the male's name that was created in Genesis 1:27 but not the female's name. Strange.

Later the Bible describes the creation of a female in a very different way. Instead of saying that male and female were created together in God's image, the Bible tells us that God creates a woman in man's image by taking a rib from the man and creating the woman.

Genesis 2:21,22 explains "So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh at that place. 22 The LORD God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man. 23 The man said, “This is now bone of my bones, And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man.”

So, what happened to the female that was created in Genesis 1:27? And why did Adam want a new female to be created in Genesis 2:21? Why was Adam lonely in Genesis 2:21 when he was with a female who was created in Genesis 1:27? Why are we not told the female's name in Genesis 1:27?

The Catholic Church decided which of the sacred writings would make up the "Holy Bible". Prior to their interference there were many sacred writings. In 405 Pope Innocent I decided what books would be included in the "Holy Bible".

From the excluded holy writings we know:

The first female created with Adam is named Lilith. She was created in Gods image just as Adam was and refused to submit to Adam's claim of authority over her. God had said nothing about the famale being inferior to the male, so Lilith stood up for her rights as being also in God's image.

Adam didn't like this and drove Lilith out of the garden. Then Adam complained to God that he was lonely. And while naming the animals and seeing them in their pairs Adam pouted and complained. God grew weary of listening to this nonsense and instead of saying "I gave you one female and you tried to dominate her and she stood up for herself and you threw a tantrum and drove her away, deal with it", God gave in to the whining and created Eve. But this time God made it clear that Eve was a Woman, created in man's image. The word Woman was not used when Lilith was created.

Lilith gave birth to humans who became Goddess worshipers. These societies were matriarchal. The women were the spiritual leaders and the healers and the community leaders. Since Goddess worship is very appealing to males (temple prostitutes, anyone?) the priestesses had enormous influence.

The Yahwehists (also known as Hebrews), the genocidal scum described in the Old Testament, fought a war against the Goddess worshippers and had most of the priestesses put to death. The Yahwehists then instituted male dominated religion and patriarchal society.

Most people have never heard of Lilith and do not know that God created male AND female in His image and never gave Adam permission to dominate the female, until after Adam whined and complained and God had to create Eve to shut him up.

So, how would our history be different if the Yahwehists had not been able to write the history books that became the "Holy Bible"? And what if the Catholics had not been the ones to define the "Holy Bible" as the Yahwehist's propaganda books, but instead had used the ENTIRE sacred writings which explain all of this? What if people knew the truth about Adam and Lilith?

You don't understand the concept of alternate history.

If we use your example, your question should sound something like this:

"What theological and social changes could the existence of Lilith bring to the Old Testament world?".

Oh, and Lilith seems like a bitch. :)

Well, I think the concept of men and women both being made in God's image would create a better case for egalitarianism. The Adam and Eve story implies that women are subservient to men, because instead of God's image, they were made in man's image.

curious

Banned
You don't understand the concept of alternate history.

If we use your example, your question should sound something like this:

"What theological and social changes could the existence of Lilith bring to the Old Testament world?".

Oh, and Lilith seems like a bitch. :)
That isn't the question I am asking.

Lilith did exist in the REAL world that the Old Testament pretends to describe. But, since the winners of the war with the Goddess worshipers wrote that history OUR understanding of history is wrong.

The question is, "how would OUR world be different if people had been taught about Lilith and the Yahewists and Catholics had not given us the false history known as "The Holy Bible"?

Lilith was not a bitch. She was a Goddess worshiper. Do a little READING.

So, Lilith was a bitch because she would not allow Adam to dominate her even though God did not give Adam that authority? Perhaps it was Adam who was in the wrong?

Adam? Eve? This goes to the Alien Space Bats forum or Chat. I think the Bible/etc. is not taken as actual history, as the presence of God and so on makes it hard for the discussion to be plausible.

curious

Banned
Adam? Eve? This goes to the Alien Space Bats forum or Chat. I think the Bible/etc. is not taken as actual history, as the presence of God and so on makes it hard for the discussion to be plausible.

Our history is greatly influenced by many people's understanding of the book they call the Holy Bible. Problem is, that book is not the real sacred texts. First, the Yahwehists, and then later the Catholic Pope Innocent I censored the sacred texts so that our history is based on a large many people believing a distortion of what they claim to believe in.

The Bible is part of our history because so much of mankind's behavior and actions have been based on it.

My point is that one of the most important parts of the sacred texts, the creation of male and females, was distorted into the Adam and Eve story where Adam is the boss and Eve must submit.

You cannot deny that billions of people have believed this and have acted accordingly.

My point is that our history would be different if people knew what the sacred texts really said.

mowque

Banned
As a Catholic, I never read the Old Testament anyway really, so it wouldn't matter.

OP- It seems that someone else would have taken it out later, or at least garbled the story so it meant something different. Strong women wasn't what the Church was looking for.

With all due respect, the Bible is not history. Some of it maybe, but not all of it.

Now, I think i get the geist of what you're asking, but this isn't the place to put it, it does belong in ASB.

curious

Banned
Where was the goddess worshipping part of Lilith... I missed that:confused:

Sorry, I didn't say that Lilith was a Goddess worshipper, I said that Lilith's descendants were Goddess worshipers.

Are you also going to mention the villainy of Nicea as well?

Good point. There were many conferences, councils, edicts, etc over the centuries that shaped what people would regard as "Holy" scripture. Innocent I made the final list of books the "official" canon. Nicea was definitely a big part of this chain of events.

Its hard to talk about how the "official" Bible canon came into being without listing dozens of events. I thought Innocent I's edicts in 405 would be a good place to capture what happened, but you are right Nicea is probably more important.

And of course your proof for the "Yahwehist" and Catholic conspiracy to distort the bible for their patriarchal needs is what? Christianity is what it is because of the scriptures its based on, so I don't understand what sort of answer you really expect. In all likelihood, a Christianity of Abrahamic religion that included Lilith would not have become very importatn at all - I mean there was afterall a reason why she was (if she even ever existed in biblical cannon - which I doubt) cut out.

curious

Banned
With all due respect, the Bible is not history. Some of it maybe, but not all of it.
I think I said the same thing. The text we have now is Yahewist and Catholic propaganda.

Now, I think i get the geist of what you're asking, but this isn't the place to put it, it does belong in ASB.

I disagree.

I'm saying that if people knew what was in the original sacred texts, not the propaganda that the Catholics gave us, our history would be very different because people would have behaved differently. Can you imagine female humans being subservient to males when they knew that Lilith was created in God's image?

I think I said the same thing. The text we have now is Yahewist and Catholic propaganda.

you're missing the point.
if we accepted all of the bible as history, then we would aslo have to agree that the world was made out of dead Giant parts, the gods sneezed the life into humanity, and that Taro is the fore-runner to Humankind.
my point is if we accept it as history, then we would have to accept all creation myths as history.

I'm saying that if people knew what was in the original sacred texts, not the propaganda that the Catholics gave us, our history would be very different because people would have behaved differently.

I admit I have a somewhat bias veiw of Chritianity in general, but even this sounds offensive.

Can you imagine female humans being subservient to males when they knew that Lilith was created in God's image?

so...you're.... not human?

The Yahwehists (also known as Hebrews), the genocidal scum described in the Old Testament, fought a war against the Goddess worshippers and had most of the priestesses put to death. The Yahwehists then instituted male dominated religion and patriarchal society.

Oh, I missed this part.

Reported.

And of course your proof for the "Yahwehist" and Catholic conspiracy to distort the bible for their patriarchal needs is what? Christianity is what it is because of the scriptures its based on, so I don't understand what sort of answer you really expect. In all likelihood, a Christianity of Abrahamic religion that included Lilith would not have become very importatn at all - I mean there was afterall a reason why she was (if she even ever existed in biblical cannon - which I doubt) cut out.

Well don't you know both the ancient and new testament are actually quite egalitarian text if it not simply of that part with Eve, I mean the part were Lilith become a demon that kill young children truly show us how old testament folk were really about respecting women who like to sleep on top

I for one wonder why they needed to censor the same book of the bible twice

...eh? She wasn't cut out was she? Hence all the stuff there is about her in fantasyesque settings.

curious

Banned
And of course your proof for the "Yahwehist" and Catholic conspiracy to distort the bible for their patriarchal needs is what?
Its called reading.

Christianity is what it is because of the scriptures its based on, so I don't understand what sort of answer you really expect. In all likelihood, a Christianity of Abrahamic religion that included Lilith would not have become very importatn at all - I mean there was afterall a reason why she was (if she even ever existed in biblical cannon - which I doubt) cut out.

This is exactly my point. A Christianity of Abrahamic religion which would include Lilith would make absolutely no sense because Abraham represented the "women are subservient" matriarchal ideology and that isn't what the original sacred texts taught.

Christianity is what it is because the Catholic Church decided what we would be allowed to read and burned or altered the rest. The Old Testament is what it is because the Yahwehists rewrote the original sacred texts to explain away their campaign of genocide against the inhabitants of the areas they conquered.

Yes, there was a reason that Lilith was cut out. So that the propaganda that tells women that they have to be subservient to men would ring true. Kind of hard to make that point when females were created in God's image just like males were.

Blah blah blah

[snip]

Can you imagine female humans being subservient to males when they knew that Lilith was created in God's image?
Sure. Men are bigger and stronger on average. Force is a great way. Look the stories were written long after and eventually helped justify the status quo. Even then, we didn't have the form we have them in now until I believe it was Cyrus ordered Ezra to come up with something authoritative....

ED: I guess I've just never bought the double wife stuff. To me it's always been describing the man-woman creation in more detail yes, Eve was the first one, created in God's image but from the rib of man. Which makes no sense, but then the whole thing is probably a metaphor for switching from Hunter-Gathering to
Farming.

I rather like Lillith, I mean, I liked Evangelion and you can't have Eva without Lillith!

curious

Banned
3. The Lillith theory probably verges on conspiracy theory territory,
Not a theory. Lilith existed. Ancient societies were matriarchal. The Yahwehists fought a war against the Goddess worshippers to take away thei influence of the priestesses as spiritual leaders. If you had ever actually read the Old Testament you would know what I am talking about, descriptions of that genocide are still in there.

which is frowned upon here. All that means is that we're collaboraters with the male patriarchy, obviously, but be warned all the same.

Frown away.

This point is pure rubbish.