ACW generals and admirals who could have gone either way

Which Union ACW generals were most likely to wind up as Confederate generals, and vice versa? How would this have impacted the war?

I’m of the school that the Confederacy was doomed once the federal government decided to fight for real, and get public opinion in the northern states on its side, but its fun to speculate on the different routes that events could have taken to get there.

I went through the Wikipedia bios of all ACW army and corps commanders, or at least most of them (I may have missed a few Union commanders since there were so many of them), plus significant cavalry and naval commanders, and estimated their home states. The word estimated”i is used because even back then people moved around, and the state someone was born in was not necessarily the state where they grew up in or settled down in, and career soldiers were especially likely to move around.

Potential switchers pretty much fell into the following categories:

1. Confederate generals from northern states. There were more of these than commonly realized. They went with the Confederacy because of family/ career ties to the South and general sympathy for the South.

2. Union generals from northern states who had sympathies and personal ties to the South, so could have wound up in category #1.

3. Union generals who came from states that seceded but remained loyal to the Union. Obviously they could have gone with the seceding states.

4. Generals from the Upper South/ border states on both sides. This is by far the biggest category. CSA generals from upper south states probably would have stayed with the Union if their state had stayed with the Union.

5. Confederate generals who had a record of opposing secession or even had doubts about slavery, but this overlaps pretty closely with #4, with the notable exception of Albert Sidney Johnson, whose “home state”was Texas but was originally from Kentucky. Since he was originally from Kentucky, he can be included in category #4 but really is a special case.

That leaves the following categories of definite non-switchers:

1. Union generals from northern, non-slave states, with no ties to the South or evidence of Southern sympathies. This is most of them, but most definitely includes everyone from New England and upstate New York, and all the political generals except for Crittenden.

2. Confederate generals from the Deep South (the original seven states that seceded), except for AS Johnston as noted above who can be gerrymandered into Kentucky.

3. A weird category that can be labelled “southern born abolitionist/ Missouri”. There were a few Union generals born in the South, who grew up in the South, but who were abolisitionists/ radical Republicans. By 1860 they were all living outside the South, probably for that reasons. They consist of Birney, the son of the Liberty Party candidate for President, Fremont, who was born in South Carolina but who was the Republican candidate for President in 1856, and Hurlbut, who was from South Carolina but who can be listed as from Ohio. Barney can be counted as from Ohio and Fremont, more tentatively, as from California. These guys weren’t going to go with the Confederacy, though a timeline where Fremont does so, for some Fremont derived reason, would be a lot of fun. There were also a bunch of Union generals from Missouri, a slave state, but they consist of German liberal immigrants who settled in St. Louis and a son of a member of Lincoln’s cabinet.

Another exception that should be noted is Montgomery Meigs, US army Quartermaster General (succeeding JE Johnston), who was from Georgia and seems not to have been an abolitionist. He is the only senior officer from the Deep South that I could find who stayed with the federal government.

One thing I found is that the Confederacy had much more success in getting potential waverers on its side than the Union did. It seems that the vast majority of the Confederate army high command came from the eight Upper South/ border states, and nearly all of them were known to support secession. Pretty much all of these could have plausibly stayed with the federal government. Leaving out the three southern born abolitionists before mentioned, the CSA got all but a couple of these guys, and broke even with Maryland and Kentucky as well. They also got a few southern sympathizers from the North, and could have really plausibly gotten only one or two more.

So like with most ACW “what ifs”, divergences from OTL will favor the Union.

Here is my list of senior ACW generals and their home states. I originally had this organized by army but for these purposes a regional breakdown would be better.

Generally, though there were a handful exceptions, generals from New England, the Mid Atlantic, Virginia and the Carolinas wound up with the Eastern armies and everyone else with the Western armies:

Union

New England

Burnside
Hooker
Butler
Banks
Howard

Sumner
Keyes
F. Porter
WF Smith
Sedgwick
Wright
Terry
Mower
Foster

Foote

Mid Atlantic

Halleck
McClellan**
Meade

J.F. Reynolds
Couch
Hancock
Warren
Humphreys
Heintzelman
Stoneman
Sickles
Butterfield
Crawford
Franklin
Parke
Slouch
Dix
Gibbon
Granger
Kilpatrick
Steele
Wool
Hunter
Hartsuff
Scofield
A.J. Smith
DuPont
D. Porter

Midwest

Grant
Buell
Sherman**
McPherson

McDowell
Griffin
Cox
Wilcox
Schulz
Mitchel
Gillmore
Birney (born in KY)
Wentzel
McCook
Williams
Stanley
McClernand
Logan
Hurlbut
Sheridan
Schenck
Wallace
Washburn
Manson

Upper South and border states

Ord
Scott
G. Thomas
Rosecrans
Sykes
Lockwood
French
Crittenden
Wood
J.J. Reynolds
Newton
Farragut

Uncategorizable

Meiga (Georgia)

Fremont (California)

Dodge (Iowa)

(Missouri)

Sigel
Osterhaus
Blair

(District of Columbia)

Getty
Brannan
Pleasanton
Goldsborough

**Southern ties sympathies (McClellan and Sherman)

Confederate:

Upper South (all but Bragg, Cheatham, and Stewart from Virginia)

J.E. Johnston
R.E. Lee
Bragg

Magruder
Jackson
A.P. Hill
Ewell
Early
Stuart
Maury
Cheatham
Stewart

Deep South

Beauregard

Longstreet
Anderson
Polk
Hardee
D.H. Hill
S.D. Lee
Kirby Smith
Forrest

Border states (Kentucky, plus Buchanan from Maryland)

A.S. Johnston
Hood

GW Smith
Breckinridge
Buckner
Taylor
Buchanan

Northern states and Other

Cooper
Pemberton
Wheeler
Price

Cooper was from New York but with Virginia ties, Pemerbton was from New Jersey, Wheeler was born in Georgia but living in Connecticut, and Price was a secessionist pol from Missouri who doesn't fit into any of the other categories.

I originally had the states listed, but spaces wouldn't carry over when I copied and pasted from the text document that I originally wrote this on, so I had to delete them.

Last edited:
Reading through the bios, I found three Union generals with substantial enough ties to the South that they could have defected. Sherman was head of Louisiana’s military academy in 1860, and his case is sort of well known about Civil War buffs. But McClellan, who seems to have been a protege of Jefferson Davis, had much stronger southern ties than Sherman. While he opposed secession, he also opposed the abolition of slavery, and that was the main source of his difficulties with Lincoln. The third possible case is Rosecrans, who was born in Ohio but has established himself in Virginia pretty firmly by 1860 and is listed above as being from Virginia. Rosecrans had a position in Virginia analogous to that of Sherman in Louisiana, but somewhat stronger.

McClellan’s case is actually quite similar to Samuel Cooper’s, the Adjutant General of the CSA, who was from New York but also a protege of Davis. Unlike McClellan, Cooper owned property in Virginia in 1860, including slaves. But I don’t think the defection of McClellan is much more implausible than that of Cooper, and like Lee, he was courted by both sides.

The two other “northern” generals who served with the CSA (excluding those from Kentucky and Maryland) who served in senior positions with the CSA are Pemberton and Wheeler. Wheeler was from Georgia but had pretty much established himself in Connecticut by 1860 and his staying with the federal government was probably more plausible than his OTL decision. I couldn’t find a good category to put Price in, given how every other senior general from Missouri was on the Union side.

I mentioned earlier that AS Johnston was a special case. He was an established career US military officer, as much of a star as Lee or McClellan if not more so, who was born in Kentucky and identified with Texas. In 1860 he was in California commanding the Division of the Pacific. His departure, or escape, from California was somewhat epic, he was nearly stopped or arrested by loyalist forces! He also opposed secession, it seems most of the key players in the CSA had either opposed secession or supported it at nearly the last minute. So its very easy to get a POD where AS Johnston does not join the CSA.

So this is the list of potential switchers:

USA generals from seceding states:

Scott
G. Thomas
Newton
Meiga
Farragut (USN)

All but Meigs were from the Upper South

USA generals from Maryland and Kentucky:

Ord
French
Crittenden
Wood
J.J. Reynolds

I’ve excluded Sykes and Lockwood, from Delaware.

USA generals with southern ties/ sympathies

McClellan
Rosecrans
Sherman

CSA generals from northern states

Cooper
Pemberton
Wheeler
Price

CSA generals from Maryland and Kentucky

A.S. Johnston
Hood
GW Smith
Breckinridge
Buckner
Taylor
Buchanan (CSN)

CSA generals from the Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee

J.E. Johnston
R.E. Lee
Bragg
Magruder
Jackson
A.P. Hill
Ewell
Early
Stuart
Maury
Cheatham
Stewart

Note that out if the 32 CSA generals listed, only nine, or about a third, came from the original seven seceding Deep South states. Nine came from Virginia alone, ten if you count Cooper.

I didn't include Beauregard, since he was one of the few important CSA generals from the Deep South!

The CSA was completely screwed if a situation arose where the federal government somehow contrived to use force to put down the CSA without also losing the upper South states.

Uncategorizable

Meiga (Georgia)

Meigs? I thought he was like one of the most blatant outspoken pro-Union southerners. Of course I am speaking with a bit of bias consideirng that he picked Arlington as the cemetery for a personal reason considering his hatred of lee in 1864. Plus the burying of his son in Mrs Lee's front garden.

I know he was courted, and people were apparently surprised about his pro-union stance, but I always figure that because he held such high esteem for his foster family, the Porters and such.

Now someone has to make a TL where McClellan leads the Confederate Army against Lee's Union Army.

I want to see aTL that has a fire-eater John C Fremont.:p:p

first, like the idea behind this thread

Buchanan as I recall tried to take back his resignation when Maryland didn't secede. So a bit of prudence and he stays in the USN. In 1861 he commands the Washington Naval Yard. OTL he was a fighter, and so I can see him right up there with Farragut, Dupont and Porter in terms of fighting spirit and likely success. .

Certainly he would have been better off than what happened to him historically

It should be noted that Meigs, while of southern birth, went to school in Philadelphia and spent most of his life in the North, and was pissed off enough at Lee to make Lee's home into a cemetery, so him going South is probably more unlikely than most.

Farragut was a veteran of the War of 1812 and was NAVY first, so again a big stretch for him to switch. He was literally a 50 year veteran of US Naval service by the time of Fort Sumter. (starting as a midshipman in the War of 1812 and taking part as such in the cruise of the Essex in the Pacific in that war)

He's only counting army and corps commanders.

My error. I read the first post as, Generals and significant ... naval commanders as the overall aim, with the went through Wikipedia bios of Army and corps commanders as a methodological aside. So Gracie as a BG is out. I still see lacunae in the significant naval commanders bit, though: Semmes, Morris, Samuel Phillips Lee, &c.

Anaxagoras

Banned
The big one for me is George Thomas. Since he burned his personal papers (with the express intention of thwarting future biographers!) we don't really have a clue about his thought processes regarding secession. His family were ferocious Confederates, with his sisters refusing ever after to acknowledge that they had a brother. It is known that his fellow Southern officers took it very hard and very personally that Thomas remained loyal to the Union, with the normally amiable Jeb Stuart suggested he be executed if captured and Braxton Bragg refusing to correspond with him under flag of truce during otherwise routine matters. It is also known that he was very close to Robert E. Lee in the prewar army, in a de facto father-son relationship not unlike that Lee had with Stuart. His wife, though, was Northern-born.

One wonders if Thomas wrestled much with the question of remaining loyal to the Union or resigning and going with Virginia, as so many others had done. It's possible, of course, that he did not wrestle with it at all and never contemplated anything other than total loyalty.

Thing is, Thomas was certainly one of the greatest commanders of the war, on either side. Can you imagine an Army of Northern Virginia with Lee in command, formed into three corps under Longstreet, Jackson, and Thomas?

Anaxagoras

Banned
Another big one is Josiah Gorgas, the Confederate Chief of Ordnance. He was a Pennsylvanian by birth, but grew attached to Alabama after marrying an Alabama girl and went with that state into the Confederacy. Had he chosen to remain loyal to the Union, the entire course of the war would have changed and I doubt the Confederacy would have lasted beyond 1863.

It's not really what Gorgas would have provided to the Union, but what his loss would have meant to the Confederates. Gorgas basically built the Confederate war industry up from scratch, in a remarkable program that has been strangely overlooked by historians. The South started with basically no ability to manufacture weapons of their own, but Gorgas set in motion a massive construction program that soon had cannon foundries, rifles factories, powder mills, and other industrial projects set up from one end of the Confederacy to the other.

Had the South not had Gorgas in charge of their Ordnance Bureau, I can't imagine they could have found anyone else even remotely as competent. It's quite possible that they would have gotten stuck with a nonentity like Lucius Northrop (the Confederate Commissary Chief, and the man whose incompetence was responsible for the near-starvation of Southern troops during the war), in which case I don't think the Southern armies would have been able to maintain their resistance for nearly as long as they did IOTL.

USA generals with southern ties/ sympathies

McClellan
Rosecrans
Sherman

While Sherman had sympathy with the southern people, he had no sympathy with the Confederacy.

"As long as Louisiana is in the Union, and I occupy this post, I will serve her faithfully against internal or external enemies. But if Louisiana secede from the Genl. Government that instant I stop - I will do no act, breathe no word, think no thought hostile to the government of the United States." - William T Sherman, December 1860

I've long/a little bit baited about the idea of Lee becoming an ardent abolitionist and just saying "I cannot under any circumstances fight in defense of slavery, to hell with Virginia if that's what she secedes over". Possibly a similar thing could happen to Jackson. Cue Lee, Grant, Sherman and Thomas, with Lee helping sort out lower-level tactical training. This would also need a pre-war PoD and could possibly affect Virginia's politics if he starts becoming a strong abolitionist force. OR get chased out of town.

The area Thomas grew up in was right in the thick of the Nat Turner uprising. There is speculation that Thomas was opposed to succession because he felt it would lead to chaos in the South (Banditry, riots, slave uprisings, etc.) and he knew first hand what that was like.

Of course any POD that affects Nat Turner would have huge butterflys in the events leading up to the Civil War.