ACW: Does diplomatic recognition of the CSA inevitably lead to military intervention?

No. It grants some legitimacy to the CSA on the world stage and opens the door to some sort of intervention, maybe not direct military intervention against the Union, but nothing it results in is good for the North.

As others have said, the U.S. did make it clear through channels that recognition would result in war which, if they did follow through with it, would mean military intervention obviously. Likewise, in late 1862 when it appeared the Anglo-French were heading towards recognition, the Royal Navy had been made ready and it was clear London seemed to either believe that their recognition would trigger U.S. action or they found it necessary to engage in such to back up said recognition.

Overall though, as technical matter, the Anglo-French need not deploy force. Merely cutting off the supply of military goods to the Union would be sufficient to cripple and collapse the Federal Military.

It would be a risky move for the British and French and a direct challenge to the Monroe doctrine.

Except the monroe doctrine is utterly irrelevant until the 20th century; no one cares and the US isn't a real power yet. France was intervening in Mexico literally at the same time as the civil war for example. Speaking of which, I think that is actually going to make French intervention in the Civil War unlikely even with diplomatic recognition, their hands are already full elsewhere.

Except the monroe doctrine is utterly irrelevant until the 20th century; no one cares and the US isn't a real power yet. France was intervening in Mexico literally at the same time as the civil war for example. Speaking of which, I think that is actually going to make French intervention in the Civil War unlikely even with diplomatic recognition, their hands are already full elsewhere.

Europeans many not have cared about "The Monroe Doctrine", but the Union does.

As others have said, the U.S. did make it clear through channels that recognition would result in war which, if they did follow through with it, would mean military intervention obviously. Likewise, in late 1862 when it appeared the Anglo-French were heading towards recognition, the Royal Navy had been made ready and it was clear London seemed to either believe that their recognition would trigger U.S. action or they found it necessary to engage in such to back up said recognition.

Overall though, as technical matter, the Anglo-French need not deploy force. Merely cutting off the supply of military goods to the Union would be sufficient to cripple and collapse the Federal Military.

Good point on cutting off military goods to the Union. Selling more ships to the CS navy and supplying loans and weapons etc would make a big change.
OTL PeterTait inLimerck where I live in Ireland made uniforms for the state of Alabama in1864 and smuggled the for the port of Foynes in the Shannon estuary to through the union blockade..
Book Review: Imported Confederate Uniforms of Peter Tait & Co., Limerick, Ireland

Peter Tait: Limerick industrialist and Confederate Army supplier

Last edited:
As far as recognition goes, it depends on who is recognizing them in terms of relevance. France could recognize the CSA I suppose, but they're busy with Nappy's empire building in Mexico and elsewhere, so real contribution to the Confederates cause is unlikely even with recognition. Prussia and Austria both have way bigger concerns with German Unification about to be underway (and the Second Schleswig war). Spain is a sick power, so frankly who really cares. Russia is busy in Central Asia, which leaves Britain as the only country in any position to really help the CSA, but its a politically dangerous move at home to be supporting a State who's entire basis is slavery, and King Cotton was never a good strategy since Britain could (and OTL did) move to other sources in India for cotton (besides which, the British economy was robust and could deal with a short term cotton slump if it did happen), which all told makes British recognition exceedingly unlikely. Recognition from anyone else probably doesn't effect the war one way or the other and just acts to annoy the US.

I've never heard that before. Can you provide a citation?

ggIZiz7p_o.png

The above is American lead production during the Civil War era.

On hand in 1861: 1,302,000 lbs
Purchased to 30 June 1862: 23,057,000 lbs
Expended to 30 June 1862: 18,920,000 lbs
Purchased to 30 June 1863: 48,720,000 lbs
Expended to 30 June 1863: 31,139,000 lbs
Purchased to 30 June 1864: 12,740,000 lbs
Expended to 30 June 1864: 7,624,000 lbs

Lead imports from Britain by year
1861: 1,679,000 lbs
1862: 28,926,000 lbs
1863 5,777,000 lbs
1864 25,929,000 lbs

From June 30th of 1862 to June 30th of 1863, the Union Army alone expended 31 million pounds of lead; total production during that same space was only 28 million pounds. I'll try to find gunpowder stats in just a second.

dcharles

Banned
ggIZiz7p_o.png

The above is American lead production during the Civil War era.

On hand in 1861: 1,302,000 lbs
Purchased to 30 June 1862: 23,057,000 lbs
Expended to 30 June 1862: 18,920,000 lbs
Purchased to 30 June 1863: 48,720,000 lbs
Expended to 30 June 1863: 31,139,000 lbs
Purchased to 30 June 1864: 12,740,000 lbs
Expended to 30 June 1864: 7,624,000 lbs

Lead imports from Britain by year
1861: 1,679,000 lbs
1862: 28,926,000 lbs
1863 5,777,000 lbs
1864 25,929,000 lbs

From June 30th of 1862 to June 30th of 1863, the Union Army alone expended 31 million pounds of lead; total production during that same space was only 28 million pounds. I'll try to find gunpowder stats in just a second.

I see where you're getting the graph from. Where's the other information coming from?

As far as recognition goes, it depends on who is recognizing them in terms of relevance. France could recognize the CSA I suppose, but they're busy with Nappy's empire building in Mexico and elsewhere, so real contribution to the Confederates cause is unlikely even with recognition. Prussia and Austria both have way bigger concerns with German Unification about to be underway (and the Second Schleswig war). Spain is a sick power, so frankly who really cares. Russia is busy in Central Asia, which leaves Britain as the only country in any position to really help the CSA, but its a politically dangerous move at home to be supporting a State who's entire basis is slavery, and King Cotton was never a good strategy since Britain could (and OTL did) move to other sources in India for cotton (besides which, the British economy was robust and could deal with a short term cotton slump if it did happen), which all told makes British recognition exceedingly unlikely. Recognition from anyone else probably doesn't effect the war one way or the other and just acts to annoy the US.

Also the Brtish had a large stock pile of cotton before the war.

To demonstrate the alleged power of King Cotton, Southern cotton merchants spontaneously refused to ship out their cotton in early 1861; it was not a government decision. By summer 1861, the Union Navy blockaded every major Confederate port and shut down over 95% of exports Since the British mills had large stockpiles of cotton, they suffered no immediate injury from the embargo; indeed the value of their stockpiles soared. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Cotton

The French and British could build a llot of ship for the CS Navy. I do not think the French could send many troops.

Last edited:
Interesting, and thanks for the legwork. Do you know what accounts for the spikes in '62 and '64?

You find the same pattern in nitrates; not sure if this is due to how they counted the years (Federals did June of 1862 to June of 1863, etc for example) or if the Federals bulk bought goods.