Across Two Decades: 2000-2020.

Intro/Chapter 1: January, 2000
This timeline will cover world affairs over the first two decades of the Millennium; I was inspired by the format of @Drew's masterpiece "Fear, Loathing, and Gumbo" for the format, which blends the day to day timeline with narrative and history book entries which held bring events to life. I'm greatly excited to begin, at long last, my first formal timeline after several years of posting. Covering 2000 through 2020, this timeline will look at all aspects of life, from sports to culture to politics to technology with a goal of creating a believable and hopefully enjoyable timeline.

Saturday, January 1st, 2000:
-
New Years Day is marked across the globe with celebrations at the stroke of midnight; the new year ushers in not only just a new century, but also marks the start of a new millennium. Despite concerns about terrorism, celebrations in Time Square - among the largest in the world - result in no incidents of note.

-Boris Yeltstin, President of the Russian Federation, announces during a televised New Years address that he will stand down from office in favor of Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. Under enormous political pressure at home (with an approval rating possibly as low as just 2%), Yeltstin's resignation is widely celebrated across Russia. In his resignation address, Yeltsin promises new elections will be held in March, and asks for "forgiveness" as "many of our dreams did not come true." Vladimir Putin spends New Years Day in his new capacity as Acting President of Russia, in which he takes a slew of international calls from other leaders such as American President Bill Clinton, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, President Jiang Zemin of China, and Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder.

image144930x.jpg

Yeltsin hands power to Putin.
Sunday, January 2nd, 2000: In an interview with NBC's "Meet the Press," former Senator Bill Bradley (D-NJ) effectively announces that his campaign will be abandoning their efforts in Iowa. "We have to pick our battles carefully" Bradley tells host Tim Russert, "and the truth is, Iowa just isn't a fertile breeding ground for generating grassroots change because the caucus system works against outsider candidates." In turn, Bradley will concentrate greater resources into the New Hampshire primary, where he hopes to defeat incumbent Vice President Al Gore, currently the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination.

Monday, January 3rd, 2000: In the wake of Bradley's decision to "abandon" Iowa, Vice President Gore and Governor Tom Vilsack hit the ground in the Hawkeye State in order to run up the score and generate even further enthusiasm for the campaign. Privately, several staffers inside the Gore campaign question this move, believing that he should instead follow Senator Bradley to New Hampshire in order to blunt his momentum in a state known for its more independently motivated voters. Despite the insistence of Donna Brazille, the campaign's manager, that the Vice President can force Bradley out of the race before the primary if he focuses more on New Hampshire, he none the less ignores her advice and instead continues to meet voters in Iowa in order to run up the score.

Wednesday, January 5th-Saturday, January 8th, 2000: In a hotel room in Kuala Lampar, Malaysia, several top lieutenants of Al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden meet with Yazid Sufaat, a former military officer and businessman. Unknown to them, they are under surveillance from Malaysian intelligence officials at the request of the CIA. Unfortunately for the CIA, only video recording of the attendees entering and leaving over the next three days surfaces, and the operation is later deemed a failure.

Monday, January 10th, 2000: Time Warner announces plans for it to be purchased by America Online for a record setting $162 billion, which if approved will be the largest corporate merger in American history. The deal must face approval by both the Federal Trade Commission and the European Commission respectively. Former Senator Bradley uses the issue to highlight his opposition to corporate influence over politics, another chance to flex his progressive credentials ahead of the first primary contests.

Wednesday, January 12th, 2000: Attorney General Janet Reno orders Elian Gonzalez’s return to Cuba, angering Cuban émigrés and conservative activists alike. The order, if heeded would bring one of the longest and most dramatic custody battles in American history to a close.

Thursday, January 13th, 2000: The New York Times publishes a report in which several staffers for socially conservative Republican presidential contender Gary Bauer express discomfort with his relationship with another young female staffer; the article, ironically, was meant to cover workplace attitudes towards sexual harassment in the political world, and did not allege Bauer was guilty of actual misconduct. None the less, the reports of "closed door meetings" with a young female staffer spread, forcing Bauer to deny any misconduct.

Friday, January 14th, 2000:
-Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT) insists he’ll continue his presidential campaign despite low polling and even lower fundraising; Hatch blames his campaign’s misfortunes on the RNC, which he claims is “rigged” by supporters of Governor Bush. Fellow candidate Senator John McCain (R-AZ) also issues a statement in support of Hatch, claiming “unfair media coverage” and “a lack of support for alternative candidates by the Republican National Committee” have hampered his own candidacy as well.

-The Dow Jones peaks at 11,722.98, a record day for Wall Street.

Monday, January 17th, 2000: Melissa McClard, a 27 year old campaign staffer for Gary Bauer, calls a press conference in Des Moines, Iowa, where she outlines a months long affair with the candidate and detailed multiple liaisons with Bauer that took place throughout the campaign. A number of Bauer's top staff resign as Bauer's campaign crumbles overnight, even though he denies the allegations.

Wednesday, January 19th, 2000: In a surprise announcement, Congressman Bernie Sanders (I-VT) announces he will challenge liberal Republican incumbent Jim Jeffords for his Senate seat in the 2000 election; Sanders has the support of Governor Howard Dean and presidential contender Bill Bradley.

Thursday, January 20th, 2000: Gary Bauer bows out of the presidential race, citing "scurrilous rumors" for sinking his campaign. Bauer calls on evangelical voters to unite behind the candidacy of Ambassador Alan Keyes, who surges in Iowa with the critical caucuses just four days away.

republican-presidential-hopeful-gary-bauer-speaks-to-reporters-to-picture-id51541556

Gary Bauer suspends his campaign.

Saturday, January 22nd, 2000: With the Iowa caucuses just days away, the airwaves are filled with campaign ads. The Bush campaign releases an ad highlighting the Texas Governor's social conservative views in an attempt to dull momentum, while Keyes attempts to profit off the last minute enthusiasm for his campaign by raking in money from supporters to fund his campaign beyond the Iowa caucuses.

Monday, January 24th, 2000: Caucuses held in Alaska and Iowa.
=======================================================================
2000 Republican Alaska Caucus: 4,128 Votes, 23 Delegates.
Steve Forbes: 37.36%-1,542 votes, 12 delegates.

George Bush: 34.93%-1,441 votes, 11 delegates.
Alan Keyes: 16.70%-689 votes.
John McCain: 8.64%-356 votes.
Orrin Hatch: 2.37%-97 votes.

2000 Iowa Republican Caucus: 83,462 Votes, 25 Delegates.
George Bush: 43.82%-36,573 votes, 11 delegates.
Alan Keyes: 30.99%-25,859 votes, 7 delegates.
Steve Forbes: 20.72%-17,293 votes, 5 delegates.
John McCain: 3.33%-2,779 votes, 1 delegate.
Orrin Hatch: 1.14%-951 votes, 1 delegate.

2000 Iowa Democratic Caucus: 1,986 Votes, 57 Delegates.
Albert Gore: 66.57%-1,322 votes, 38 delegates.

Bill Bradley: 33.29%-661 votes, 19 delegates.
Lyndon LaRouche: 0.14%-2 votes.
genusmap.php
Republican Delegate Count
George Bush: 22
Steve Forbes: 17
Alan Keyes: 7
John McCain: 1
Orrin Hatch: 1
genusmap.php

Democratic Delegate Count
Albert Gore: 38
Bill Bradley: 19
Wednesday, January 26th, 2000:
-Wall Street is shut down briefly by large crowds after an impromptu concert by Rage Against The Machine occurs outside of the New York Stock Exchange.

Friday, January 28th, 2000:
-NBC hosts a televised debate between four of the five remaining Republican presidential candidates.
636377220669597547-PNIBrd2-08-02-2015-Republic-1-B005--2015-08-01-IMG-AFP-BUSHMCCAIN-1-1-OLBG7URQ-L652644096-IMG-AFP-BUSHMCCAIN-1-1-OLBG7URQ.jpg

McCain and Bush debate in New Hampshire.
Tim Russert: Good evening, and welcome to NBC’s New Hampshire primary debate. Tonight, Governor George Bush, Mr. Steve Forbes, Ambassador Alan Keyes, and Senator John McCain will face off in the last scheduled debate before the Republican primary here in New Hampshire. Senator Orrin Hatch declined our invitation to debate and is in Washington undertaking his Senate duties. The rules have been agreed to in advance, and each candidate has agreed to simply “jump right in.” Our first question goes to Governor Bush. Governor Bush, if you could write a two sentence long amendment to the constitution, what would it be?

George Bush: I’d write an amendment guaranteeing the right of the unborn to life. We as the Republicans are and must remain the pro-life party in the United States. Of course, good people can and often times will have honest disagreements, and simultaneously, we cannot exclude those who are not pro-life from out party. We must-

Alan Keyes: Can I just interject here?

Tim Russert: In a minute, Ambassador Keyes, in a minute-

Alan Keyes: What I just heard is disgusting! Governor Bush, are you suggesting that we open our party up to “moderating” our position on abortion? Because if anyone is extremist, it is the folks like you that-

George Bush: You are misunderstanding, intentionally I might add, what I said-

Alan Keyes: You just said we ought to no longer remain the pro-life party in the United States. Here is an idea, why don’t you and Senator McCain and the rest of the party bigwigs stand for something!
……
Tim Russert: Senator McCain, you have been running ads here in New Hampshire that underscore your military experience. Do you believe that not having military service is a handicap?

John McCain: Oh no, no, not at all. But having military service in a candidate’s background certainly isn’t a handicap either. I’m proud of my service, and I believe that this administration has conducted a feckless, photo-op foreign policy for which we may have to pay a very heavy price in the future in American blood and treasure. And I believe that my experience makes me uniquely qualified to take America into this new century.

Tim Russert: Governor Bush, you too have served-

George Bush: I contest Senator McCain’s claims. I too am an air force veteran, and I have always believed that my service, just like my father’s, was a humbling experience. I don’t speak often of it for that reason.

John McCain: Governor Bush, you certainly are a veteran of Senator Edward Gurney’s campaign. But you were actually reprimanded for failure to take a physical exam and prevented from flying. That-

George Bush: Are you saying that my service was-

John McCain: I am saying that, yes, while you did serve, you also received treatment that my brothers in arms didn’t receive due to the status of your father. And I think it is disingenuous and downright insulting to Vietnam veterans that you claim to be one!
……
Tim Russert: Mr. Forbes, you have been critical of Ambassador Keyes tax proposals, claiming that his plan is simply a “fantastical twist of the Forbes plan that promises everything and delivers nothing.” Due to the similarities between your plans, is that an attack on your own proposals?

Steve Forbes: Absolutely not, Ambassador Keyes plan fails to go into specifics. He does not know if he wants a 20% or 25% retail flat tax. He does not know if his own plan will continue to produce a balanced budget and he does not know if his plan will even pass Congress-

Alan Keyes: My position is that of the constitution, which holds that the income tax is unconstitutional. It was unconstitutionally passed and ratified, and is illegitimate. You ought to quit hawking your campaign books and start hawking some pocket constitutions, Mr. Forbes, you might learn something!
……
Tim Russert: Governor Bush, you recently won the caucuses in Iowa and narrowly lost the Alaska caucus to Mr. Forbes. Do you believe that Mr. Forbes background as a successful businessman and publisher is the force behind his recent surge in the polls, and how do you reconcile your own career to voters?

George Bush: Well, I believe my record stands on its own. If you look at what we’ve done in Texas, we have reduced taxes, we have reduced the number of state employees, and we have reduced spending. And I was able to do this thanks to my background in the energy industry-

Steve Forbes: Governor Bush, you are lying. You’re simply lying, in particular about your business background. The fact is, you failed. You can’t run an oil company, what makes you think you can run a country? What-

George Bush: Mr. Forbes, you have yet to have a coherent position on most if not all of the issues throughout the campaign. I am offering voters a clear choice-

Steve Forbes: You’re offering them another politician.

George Bush: Maybe that’s what this country needs!

Steve Forbes: You said it, Governor Bush, not me. I’ll let your words speak for-

George Bush: And I’ll let my record speak for itself.
Sunday, January 30th, 2000: The Tennessee Titans defeat the Saint Louis Rams 26-23 in Superbowl XXXIV.

Monday, January 31st, 2000: Following a poor debate performance, Governor Bush finds himself losing ground to not only Senator McCain but also businessman Steve Forbes as the New Hampshire primaries creep closer and closer.

Last edited:
Chapter 2: February, 2000
Tuesday, February 1st, 2000: The New Hampshire primary is held.

2000 New Hampshire Republican Primary: 246,129 Votes, 17 Delegates.
John McCain: 40.97%-100,839 votes, 9 delegates.
Steve Forbes: 25.85%-63,624 votes, 4 delegates.
George Bush: 23.44%-57,692 votes, 4 delegates.
Alan Keyes: 9.64%-23,726 votes.
Orrin Hatch: 0.10%-246 votes.

2000 New Hampshire Democratic Primary: 154,639 Votes, 29 Delegates.
Bill Bradley: 50.65%-78,324 votes, 15 delegates.
Albert Gore: 47.22%-73,020 votes, 14 delegates.
Uncommitted: 1.80%-2,783 votes.
Lyndon LaRouche: 0.33%-510 votes.
genusmap.php

George Bush: 26
Steve Forbes: 21
John McCain: 10
Orrin Hatch: 1

genusmap.php

Albert Gore: 53
Bill Bradley: 33
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2000: After a dismal showing in New Hampshire, Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT) abandons his presidential campaign and endorses Governor Bush for the nomination.

Thursday, February 3rd, 2000: Calling the Reform Party "a disgrace," Ross Perot endorses Governor Bush for the Presidency, citing his stance on reducing federal spending. Perot's rebuke of the party he had founded is largely due to the many internal schisms in the party. Supporters of Pat Buchanan and Donald Trump continue to wage a war against one another inside the Reform Party, vying for control of the big-tent populist organization.

Friday, February 4th, 2000: Acting Russian President Vladimir Putin signs a decree that effectively prohibits state prosecutors from investigating former President Yeltsin due to corruption allegations; the move is widely protested by human right's watchdogs, as one of the investigations was purported to have involved Putin during his time in the Saint Petersburg city government.

Sunday, February 6th, 2000:
-Russian troops take full control of Grozny in Chechnya after months of fighting against Islamist insurgents.

-Senator John McCain dubs himself "the new comeback kid" after his victory in the New Hampshire primary during an appearance on NBC's "Meet the Press," sparking a media conversation about George Bush's faltering status as frontrunner much to the annoyance of Karl Rove. As a result, the Bush campaign plans to combat McCain even harder in the upcoming South Carolina primary.

Tuesday, February 8th, 2000:
hqdefault.jpg

Hillary Clinton announces her candidacy.
-First Lady Hillary Clinton announces her candidacy for US Senate in New York despite allegations of carpetbagging; Clinton had been invited to run by several New York Democratic leaders, including retiring incumbent Daniel Patrick Moynihan. She is expected to face a strong challenge from New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who has not officially declared his candidacy.

-The sleepy Delaware primaries are conducted; only Senator Bradley actively campaigned in the state.

2000 Delaware Republican Primary: 29,784 Votes, 12 Delegates.
John McCain: 41.29%-12,297 votes, 12 delegates.
George Bush: 41.16%-12,259 votes.
Steve Forbes: 14.44%-4,300 votes.
Alan Keyes: 3.11%-926 votes.

2000 Delaware Democratic Primary: 10,463 Votes, 22 Delegates.
Bill Bradley: 53.65%-5,613 votes, 22 delegates.

Albert Gore: 46.30%-4,844 votes.
Lyndon LaRouche: 0.05%-5 votes.
genusmap.php

George Bush: 27
John McCain: 22
genusmap.php

Bill Bradley: 41
Albert Gore: 38
Wednesday, February 9th, 2000: The McCain campaign cries foul when several push polls to voters in South Carolina make insinuations that the Senator’s adopted Bangladeshi daughter is really the result of a sexual affair with a prostitute. The allegations, according to Senator McCain, are “disgusting and hurtful.” The McCain campaign blames the Bush campaign for sponsoring the poll.

Thursday, February 10th, 2000: In a New York Times op-ed, Donald Trump announces he will not seek the Reform Party's presidential nomination, lashing out at his rivals Pat Buchanan ("a Nazi sympathizer"), Leonora Fulani ("an out and out kook") and David Duke ("a Klansman") among others for, in his view, "hastening the Reform Party's demise." Trump's withdrawal whittles the race down to two candidates, commentator Pat Buchanan and Transcendental Meditation activist John Hagelin.

Friday, February 11th, 2000: A pipe-bomb explodes outside Barclay's Bank on Wall Street in New York City, injuring dozens but resulting in no fatalities or serious wounds. The FBI immediately begins an investigation into the bombing, but there are few leads to work with initially.

Sunday, February 13th, 2000: During an appearance on CBS's "Face the Nation," Senator McCain alleges that a controversial push polls in SC attacking the McCain campaign originated with the Bush campaign’s Karl Rove. The Bush campaign, and more specifically, Rove, denies the allegations and blames the “rumors” on “disgruntled former staffers.” Senator McCain goes on to call for Governor Bush to fire Karl Rove in the wake of the reports, though Bush stands by Rove and instead blames Senator McCain for “taking a stand on a phony story.”

Thursday, February 17th, 2000: Severe flooding devastates Mozambique, after weeks of heavy rain causes the rivers overflow. The capital of Maputo is inundated and entire villages are washed away as thousands are feared dead.

Saturday, February 19th, 2000: The South Carolina primaries are held.
2000 South Carolina Republican Primary: 573,622 Votes, 37 Delegates.
John McCain: 42.83%-245,682 votes, 37 delegates.
George Bush: 41.95%-240,634 votes.
Alan Keyes: 10.63%-60,976 votes.
Steve Forbes: 4.59%-26,329 votes.
genusmap.php

John McCain: 59
George Bush: 27
Sunday, February 20th, 2000: After a series of poor showings in the early primaries, Steve Forbes abandons his presidential campaign and declines to make an endorsement. Despite an early win in Alaska, Forbes was unable to translate what little momentum he received into further successes as the campaign dragged on.

WAP2000021096.jpg

Steve Forbes suspends his campaign.

Tuesday, February 22nd, 2000
: Primaries in Arizona, and Michigan. The next Democratic contest is the Washington caucuses at the end of the month, where polls show Vice President Gore and his insurgent challenger former Senator Bill Bradley locked in a tight race.

2000 Arizona Republican Primary: 220,671 Votes, 30 Delegates.
John McCain: 63.80%-140,788 votes, 30 delegates.
George Bush: 32.49%-71,696 votes.
Alan Keyes: 3.71%-8,186 votes.

2000 Michigan Republican Primary: 1,172,439 Votes, 58 Delegates.
John McCain: 51.62%-605,213 votes, 58 delegates.
George Bush: 44.90%-526,425 votes.
Alan Keyes: 3.48%-40,800 votes.
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2000: The Nevada Republican caucus is held.

2000 Nevada Republican Caucus: 21,764 Votes, 17 Delegates.
George Bush: 53.66%-11,678 votes, 17 delegates.
John McCain: 41.27%-8,982 votes.
Alan Keyes: 5.07%-1,103 votes.
genusmap.php

John McCain: 137
George Bush: 43
Saturday, February 26th, 2000: The non-binding Puerto Rico primary is won by Governor Bush, who was the only candidate to file for the ballot in the territory.

Sunday, February 27th, 2000: Gore criticizes Bradley as “a divider” while campaigning in Washington State, warning that his candidacy “is blowing a hole in the heart of the Democratic coalition for the purpose of political enrichment.” Bradley responds, telling reporters that Democrats want “a true progressive voice.”

Monday, February 29th, 2000: Primaries and Caucuses held.
2000 North Dakota Republican Caucus: 8,473 Votes, 19 Delegates.
George Bush: 76.05%-6,443 votes, 14 delegates.
John McCain: 14.31%-1,212 votes, 3 delegates.
Alan Keyes: 9.64%-816 votes, 2 delegates.

2000 Virginia Republican Primary: 675,829 Votes, 56 Delegates.
George Bush: 51.86%-350,484 votes, 56 delegates.
John McCain: 43.89%-296,621 votes.
Alan Keyes: 4.25%-28,722 votes.

2000 Washington Republican Primary: 829,551 Votes, 37 Delegates.
John McCain: 49.26%-408,636 votes, 37 delegates.
George Bush: 49.25%-408,553 votes.
Alan Keyes: 1.49%-12,360 votes.

2000 Washington Democratic Primary: 470,801 Votes, 94 Delegates.
Bill Bradley: 51.20%-241,050 votes, 49 delegates.
Albert Gore: 48.36%-227,679 votes, 45 delegates.
Lyndon LaRouche: 0.44%-2,071 votes.
genusmap.php

John McCain: 174
George Bush: 130
Alan Keyes: 9
genusmap.php

Bill Bradley: 107
Albert Gore: 95

Last edited:
Really good timeline so far and already seeing the differences with McCain responding better to the slander against him. I take it Bradley's success is a difference as well. Very good start and I'm looking forward to more.

Based on what I have seen so far in this timeline is it fair to say that Bush isn't going to win the white house?

I'll be sure to keep my eye on this I enjoy a good timeline and so far this looks like it may be just that.

Chapter 3: March, 2000
Wednesday, March 1st, 2000: Bush and Bradley carry the day.

57302-george-w-bush.jpg

RICHMOND, VA: Governor Bush celebrated a larger than expected win in Virginia alongside his win in North Dakota, rapidly narrowing the gap that had existed between Senator McCain and the displaced frontrunner. In addition to winning both North Dakota and Virginia, Bush lost the Washington primary to Senator McCain by merely 80 votes out of over 800,000 cast. Bush’s win in Virginia is likely due to a combination of his overhauled campaign platform, speaking less of a “smart foreign policy” and more of a “flexible foreign policy”, as well as addressing his domestic platform of “compassionate conservatism” to a greater degree. Likewise, his appeals to evangelical and religious voters, especially in Nevada, where he handily won the Mormon vote, have shown his campaign’s ability to adapt and evolve in the face of electoral setbacks. This “Bush 2.0” as pro-Bush commentator Laura Olson called it has been a source of concern for the McCain campaign, who hoped Governor Bush’s solid establishment support would keep him from tailoring his message.

Bill Bradley, on the other side, successfully won the Washington Democratic Primary over his chief rival Al Gore in a hotly contested primary. With grassroots coalition consisting of environmentalists, gay rights activists, and labor organizations pushing his insurgent campaign forward, Bradley was able to increase turnout in Seattle to overcome Gore’s solid support in rural Washington. Gore, despite failing in their final attempt to strangle Bradley’s campaign in the cradle none the less enjoys strong support from most Democrats according to the polls. With Super Tuesday approaching, Gore is hoping to lock up the Democratic nomination once and for all.

The Super Tuesday contests will be a critical juncture in the primaries for both parties, which have fluctuated from establishment dominance to insurgent ascendance in the course of only a few months. Among the largest prizes on Super Tuesday will be California, with millions of voters and hundreds of delegates, which will be contested alongside Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, and Ohio. Should either Governor Bush or Vice President Gore sweep a majority of the Super Tuesday states, they potentially could achieve an insurmountable delegate lead guaranteeing their nomination. This has weighed heavy on the minds of the strategists working under Bradley or McCain, who need to maintain momentum going through the entirety of the upcoming week.

Thursday, March 2nd, 2000: Activist and lawyer Ralph Nader announces he will seek the Green Party nomination for President alongside Native American activist Wynona LaDuke; the Nader/LaDuke ticket had previously been nominated by the Greens in the 1996 election. Nader cites progressive enthusiasm for the Bradley campaign as an optimistic sign for his longshot campaign.

hqdefault.jpg

Friday, March 3rd, 2000: Ahead of the California primary, Senator John McCain receives a major endorsement from former Governor Pete Wilson.

Saturday, March 4th, 2000: In an interview with Fox News, Governor Bush claims his recent victory in Virginia was due to the support of evangelical voters. Further noting that the Republican Party "must always be the party of life," Bush's comments stir up social conservatives and brings their interests to the forefront.

Sunday, March 5th, 2000: Campaigning with former Governor Pete Wilson in California ahead of the state’s critical primary, Senator McCain calls on the Republican Party to reject Jerry Fallwell and other “agents of intolerance” associated with the party. The statements anger the party’s conservative wing. McCain also drew fire for calling Fallwell “a merchant of muck,” which Governor Bush took umbrage with. Claiming that McCain lumped Falwell and Pat Robertson in with Louis Farrakhan and Al Sharpton, Governor Bush only quipped that “I think the dry Arizona heat has gotten to him” when asked to comment further on his rival’s controversial remarks.

Monday, March 6th, 2000: In a frank interview with CNN, Senator John McCain warns "it's all or nothing" in regards to the upcoming Super Tuesday primaries. A poor showing by McCain could halt his momentum, and the Arizona Senator is banking on winning California and New York to keep his candidacy competitive with Governor Bush.

Tuesday, March 7th, 2000: Super Tuesday primaries are held.
2000 California Republican Primary: 4,113,078 Votes, 162 Delegates.
George Bush: 48.31%-1,987,027 votes, 162 delegates.
John McCain: 46.30%-1,904,355 votes.
Alan Keyes: 5.39%-221,694 votes.

2000 California Democratic Primary: 3,264,861 Votes, 433 Delegates.
Albert Gore: 52.23%-1,705,236 votes, 433 delegates.

Bill Bradley: 47.77%-1,559,624 votes.

2000 Connecticut Republican Primary: 176,403 Votes, 25 Delegates.
John McCain: 56.44%-99,561 votes, 25 delegates.

George Bush: 41.37%-72,977 votes.
Alan Keyes: 2.19%-3,863 votes.

2000 Connecticut Democratic Primary: 180,649 Votes, 67 Delegates.
Bill Bradley: 56.24%-101,596 votes, 38 delegates.
Albert Gore: 43.76%-79,052 votes, 29 delegates.

2000 Georgia Republican Primary: 641,982 Votes, 54 Delegates.
George Bush: 57.71%-370,487 votes, 54 delegates.
John McCain: 38.64%-248,061 votes.
Alan Keyes: 3.65%-23,432 votes.

2000 Georgia Democratic Primary: 278,465 Votes, 93 Delegates.

Albert Gore: 77.82%-216,701 votes, 72 delegates.
Bill Bradley: 22.18%-61,763 votes, 21 delegates.

2000 Hawaii Democratic Caucus: 33,889 Votes, 33 Delegates.
Bill Bradley: 53.90%-18,266 votes, 18 delegates.
Albert Gore: 46.10%-15,622 votes, 15 delegates.

2000 Idaho Democratic Caucus: 20,409 Votes, 23 Delegates
Albert Gore: 73.49%-14,998 votes, 17 delegates.

Bill Bradley: 26.51%-5,410 votes, 6 delegates.

2000 Maine Republican Caucus: 94,522 Votes, 14 Delegates.
John McCain: 56.78%-53,669 votes, 14 delegates.
George Bush: 38.29%-36,192 votes.
Alan Keyes: 4.93%-4,659 votes.

2000 Maine Democratic Caucus: 62,550 Votes, 33 Delegates.
Bill Bradley: 55.94%-34,990 votes, 18 delegates.
Albert Gore: 44.06%-27,559 votes, 15 delegates.

2000 Maryland Republican Primary: 362,121 Votes, 31 Delegates.
George Bush: 46.57%-168,639 votes, 31 delegates.
John McCain: 42.14%-152,597 votes.
Alan Keyes: 11.29%-40,883 votes.

2000 Maryland Democratic Primary: 504,440 Votes, 95 Delegates.
Albert Gore: 56.27%-283,848 votes, 53 delegates.
Bill Bradley: 43.73%-220,591 votes, 42 delegates.

2000 Massachusetts Republican Primary: 515,483 Votes, 37 Delegates.
John McCain: 55.80%-287,639 votes, 37 delegates.
George Bush: 38.48%-198,357 votes.
Alan Keyes: 5.72%-29,485 votes.

2000 Massachusetts Democratic Primary: 526,645 Votes, 118 Delegates.
Bill Bradley: 53.76%-283,124 votes, 63 delegates.
Albert Gore: 46.24%-243,520 votes, 55 delegates.

2000 Minnesota Republican Caucus: 55,087 Votes, 34 Delegates.
George Bush: 48.04%-26,463 votes, 34 delegates.
John McCain: 44.08%-24,282 votes.
Alan Keyes: 7.88%-4,340 votes.

2000 Missouri Republican Primary: 369,284 Votes, 35 Delegates.
George Bush: 49.80%-183,903 votes, 35 delegates.
John McCain: 43.51%-160,675 votes.
Alan Keyes: 6.69%-24,705 votes.

2000 Missouri Democratic Primary: 260,908 Votes, 92 Delegates.
Albert Gore: 58.36%-152,265 votes, 54 delegates.
Bill Bradley: 41.64%-108,642 votes, 38 delegates.

2000 New York Republican Primary: 754,671 Votes, 101 Delegates.
George Bush: 50.38%-380,203 votes, 53 delegates.
John McCain: 47.65%-359,600 votes, 48 delegates.
Alan Keyes: 1.97%-14,867 votes.

2000 New York Democratic Primary: 959,784 Votes, 294 Delegates.
Albert Gore: 52.91%-507,821 votes, 156 delegates.
Bill Bradley: 47.09%-451,962 votes, 138 delegates.

2000 North Dakota Democratic Caucus: 18,091 Votes, 22 Delegates.
Albert Gore: 78.90%-14,273 votes, 17 delegates.

Bill Bradley: 21.10%-3,817 votes, 5 delegates.

Ohio Republican Primary: 1,316,824 Votes, 69 Delegates.

George Bush: 51.45%-677,505 votes, 66 delegates.
John McCain: 46.55%-612,981 votes, 3 delegates.
Alan Keyes: 2.00%-26,336 votes.

2000 Ohio Democratic Primary: 978,456 Votes, 169 Delegates.
Albert Gore: 56.40%- 522,495 votes, 95 delegates.
Bill Bradley: 43.60%- 426,606 votes, 74 delegates.

2000 Rhode Island Republican Primary: 36,149 Votes, 14 Delegates.
John McCain: 59.08%- 21,356 votes, 14 delegates.
George Bush: 40.32%- 14,575 votes.
Alan Keyes: 0.60%-217 votes.

2000 Rhode Island Democratic Primary: 47,085 Votes, 33 Delegates.
Bill Bradley: 54.82%- 25,812 votes, 18 delegates.

Albert Gore: 45.18%- 21,273 votes, 15 delegates.

2000 Vermont Republican Primary: 81,355 Votes, 12 Delegates.

John McCain: 56.83%-46,234 votes, 12 delegates.
George Bush: 37.77%-30,728 votes.
Alan Keyes: 5.40%-4,393 votes.

2000 Vermont Democratic Primary: 49,283 Votes, 22 Delegates.
Bill Bradley: 52.66%-25,592 votes, 12 delegates.
Albert Gore: 47.34%-23,331 votes, 10 delegates.
genusmap.php
George Bush: 565
John McCain: 327
Alan Keyes: 9
genusmap.php
Albert Gore: 1,131
Bill Bradley: 577
Wednesday, March 8th, 2000: Senator McCain announces he is withdrawing from the race, effectively making Governor Bush the de-facto Republican nominee for President. McCain cites critical losses in California and New York as key factors in his decision to leave the race, claiming that his fundraising would dry up as a result of the defeats.

Thursday, March 9th, 2000: Following McCain’s exit from the race, Vice President Gore calls on Senator Bradley to likewise suspend his presidential campaign in the name of party unity. Bradley rebuffs the Vice President’s demand, telling his supporters that “we’re nipping on his heels” in a passionate speech to voters in Colorado. Meanwhile, the South Carolina Democratic primary is won by Vice President Gore, who takes 90% of the vote against Bradley in the Palmetto State.

Friday, March 10th, 2000: Al Gore defeats Bill Bradley 55-45% in the Colorado caucuses, and takes almost 80% of the vote in Utah. Bradley's defeat in Colorado is a serious blow to his campaign, as polls had him leading Vice President Gore narrowly.

Saturday, March 11th, 2000: Alan Keyes announces he too will withdraw from the Republican primaries, citing a lack of financial support and Bush's overwhelming advantage in the polls. Keyes endorses Bush for the Presidency in his withdrawal announcement, and does not rule out running for higher office again in the future.

Sunday, March 12th, 2000: Facing certain defeat in Florida, Bill Bradley announces he is suspending his presidential campaign. Though grassroots enthusiasm for his campaign is higher than ever, the lack of financial support in comparison to the almost unlimited resources of the Gore campaign make further efforts seem pointless to the former New Jersey Senator. Bradley declines to immediately endorse the Vice President.

democratic-presidential-candidate-bill-bradley-addresses-supporters-picture-id51542832

Bill Bradley drops out.

Monday, March 13th, 2000: Iraq shoots down an American plane participating in Operation Northern Watch, though the pilot manages to evade Iraqi ground forces and is later rescued by Navy Seals in a daring rescue mission. President Clinton threatens further sanctions against Iraq in wake of the incident, while Secretary of State Albright is dispatched to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia to shore up the anti-Iraqi alliance that the US has cobbled together in the Middle East.

Wednesday, March 15th, 2000: Despite being unopposed for the Republican nomination, George Bush tells the Washington Post in a lengthy interview that it is "too early" to begin searching for a Vice Presidential candidate.

Saturday, March 18th, 2000: The Bush campaign airs their first nationwide ad, entitled "Four More Years." The ad, which features footage of Vice President Gore standing behind President Clinton, is an attempt to tie him to some of the outgoing administration's past controversies.

Monday, March 20th, 2000: Protests ahead of the Russian presidential election turn violent when anti-corruption demonstrators clash with supporters of acting President Putin in Red Square in Moscow.

Thursday, March 23rd, 2000: In an interview with CNN, Vermont Governor Howard Dean voices dissatisfaction with Vice President Gore's progressive credentials. He urges the party to consider nominating a more reliably liberal voice for the bottom of the ticket, and touts Senators Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Paul Wellstone (D-MN) for the Vice Presidency. The Gore campaign declines to comment.

Sunday, March 26th, 2000: In Russia, acting President Putin is easily elected President over communist Gennady Zyuganov, obtaining almost 60% of the vote in the first round. Putin's victory asserts his position as undisputed leader of Russia, and he immediately begins to look towards consolidating control.

Last edited:
Hm, while we still have the same two people, it seems as if they're having to lurch further to the left and right in order to make up for the challengers and to get their support. An interesting twist on the 2000 election and could have interesting ramifications.

Chapter 4: April-July, 2000.
Monday, April 3rd, 2000: The long running case United States vs. Microsoft has come to a close after the presiding Judge, Thomas Jackson of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia rules that the tech giant has violated the Sherman Anti-Trust Act after a two year long legal battle. The ruling will be appealed by Microsoft, who have threatened to drag the proceedings out even to the Supreme Court in a press release. It is expected that the Supreme Court will decline to hear the case and instead send it to a Federal Appeals Court in the coming days, further dragging out the case which has garnered much attention in the legal world.

Wednesday, April 5th, 2000
: Former Congressman John Anderson (R-IL) denies rumors that he is considering running for the Reform Party presidential nomination, instead endorsing Ralph Nader and the Green Party. Anderson, who ran for President as an independent in 1980, had been courted by some members of the Reform Party who are opposed to the potential nomination of Pat Buchanan.

Saturday, April 8th, 2000: The Bureau of Labor Statistics releases a report listing the unemployment rate at a low of 3.8%, the lowest since December 1969. Meanwhile, the Department of Commerce releases the results of the 2000 census, which lists the American population at 281,421,906.

Monday, April 10th, 2000: Vice President Gore's campaign responds to a recent ad campaign by Governor Bush by releasing their own television spot entitled "Unfit for Command." The ad highlights the Governor's avoidance of service during the Vietnam War, contrasting it to his own military service. Gore's attempt to portray Bush as untested brings a harsh rebuke from the Governor, who deploys former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney and Gulf War hero Norman Schwarzkopf to the campaign trail in order to combat Gore's claims.

Saturday, April 15th, 2000: Rudy Giuliani's actress wife Donna Hanover takes a role in an upcoming production of "The Vagina Monologues." Hanover's impending performance in the play is widely seen as an embarrassment to Giuliani, who is planning on challenging Hillary Clinton for Daniel Patrick Moynihan's Senate seat.

Wednesday, April 19th, 2000: Oklahoma City marks the fifth anniversary of the bombing of the Alfred Murrah Federal Building; Timothy McVeigh was later convicted for his role in the attack.

Saturday, April 22nd, 2000: Elian Gonzalez is taken by Immigration and Customs Patrol agents in an armed raid, to be eventually returned back to family in Cuba after a long international custody battle that has leaves the Cuban exile community in Miami furious. The decision to send Gonzalez to his birth country was made by a court, and enforced by Attorney General Janet Reno despite intense criticism from conservative activists.

636158462203041205-AP-IA02-ELIAN-09.jpg

Elian Gonzalez taken forcibly by Immigration and Customs.

Tuesday, April 25th, 2000: Vermont legalizes civil unions for same-sex couples, making it the first state to do so.

Friday, April 28th, 2000: At an emotional press conference, New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani announces he has prostate cancer, but is still considering running for Senate in spite of his diagnosis. Absent noticeably from the media event is the Mayor's wife, Donna Hanover.

Saturday, April 29th, 2000
: Pat Buchanan's campaign begins interviewing labor activist Jimmy Hoffa Jr. for the Vice Presidential slot on the Reform Party ticket; Hoffa denies interest in running for Vice President when pressed by reporters, and claims his meeting with Buchanan was only to advance the cause of organized labor.

Wednesday, May 3rd, 2000: In an interview with Howard Stern, Donald Trump opines on the race for the first time since withdrawing his exploratory candidacy. Trump does not endorse either candidate, but expresses more enthusiasm for a number of George Bush's policies overall.

Sunday, May 7th, 2000: British troops land amphibiously in Sierra Leone as part of Operation Palliser, a military intervention in Sierra Leone to stop the violence that has consumed the small African country and has caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands and the displacement of close to two million. The civil war is part of a wider conflict involving Sierra Leone’s neighbor, where dictator Charles Taylor’s regime has been backing the Revolutionary United Front in their attempts to overthrow the government of Sierra Leone. In an effort to prop up the Sierra Leonean government, the British government has decided to intervene, with Prime Minister Tony Blair describing the operation as “the absolute right thing to do.” With the Revolutionary United Front advancing on the capital of Freetown, British forces have intervened, with soldiers landing from the sea to shore up the capitals defenses while simultaneously evacuating hundreds of foreign nationals and entitled citizens who may be targeted by the Revolutionary United Front and their associated death squads. The British air force and navy will also held a powerful presence in the military campaign, blocking foreign weapons shipments to the troubled nation and bombing the RUF to slow their advance.

Wednesday, May 10th, 2000: New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani announces at a press conference that he is leaving his wife Donna Hanover, having instead found love with a Mrs. Judith Nathan. The news shocks Mrs. Hannover, who was not informed beforehand of her husband's intent, and immediately sparks a media firestorm. Several top New York Republicans call on Giuliani to remove himself from the 2000 Senate race, and float Congressmen Peter King or Rick Lazio as alternative candidates.

Thursday, May 11th, 2000: India becomes the second nation to see it's population exceed one billion, after China.

Friday, May 19th, 2000: The Gore campaign is reportedly weighing naming a woman to the Democratic ticket, with Senators Barbara Boxer (D-CA), Diane Feinstein (D-CA), and Governor Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) being the three candidates most recently vetted. The Washington Post, who broke the story, goes on to report that in addition to the three women, Senators Joe Biden (D-DE), John Kerry (D-MA), and Joe Lieberman (D-CT) have recently been invited to meet with the Vice President to discuss the Democratic ticket.

Tuesday, May 25th, 2000: After a 22 year long presence in southern Lebanon, the Israeli Defense Force withdraws its troops back to Israeli borders. Prime Minister Ehud Barak had made withdrawal a prominent issue during his campaign in the 1999 Israeli elections, and the Prime Minister had continued the withdrawal process in the face of continued harassment from Hezbollah militants. In the immediate hours following the withdrawal of the very last Israeli troops, Hezbollah launched an offensive and attacked several Southern Lebanon Army outposts-much to the dismay of Barak’s political opponents, including former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who calls for the redeployment of troops to the troubled region in response to the chaos.

Thursday, June 1st, 2000: Vice President Al Gore launches a series of advertisements in the Midwest criticizing Governor Bush’s economic plans. Warning that the Governor’s tax cut plan would create deficits and that his social security policies promised trillions of funds to both young workers and the elderly at the same time, Gore’s attacks are his first major attempts to tie himself in with the incumbent Clinton administration-or at least publicly identify with the more popular aspects of it.

Monday, June 7th, 2000: The President hits the campaign trail for the first time, joining Gore for a series of rallies in upstate New York alongside his wife, First Lady and Senate candidate Hillary Clinton. It is the first joint appearance of Clinton and Gore with one another since the Lewinsky scandal broke, and many in the media take Clinton's return to active politics as a sign of his recovery from the scandal that nearly brought down his Presidency.

Wednesday, June 14th, 2000: South Korean President Kim Dae Jung, and North Korean leader Kim Jong Ill meet in Pyongyang for a summit, which resulted in the two nations agreeing to the creation of joint-economic zones and allowing for South Korean families to cross the border and visit relatives in North Korea whom they haven’t seen since the Korean War. The talks represent the first face to face meeting between the leaders of the two Koreas.

Friday, June 16th, 2000: A leaked Vice Presidential shortlist from the Bush campaign is published by the New York Times, which reports Bush is considering Governor Jim Gilmore of Virginia, Governor George Pataki of New York, Governor Christine Todd Whitman of New Jersey, Senator Fred Thompson of Tennessee, Senator Connie Mack III of Florida, Senator John Ashcroft of Missouri, and Mrs. Lynne Cheney of Wyoming for the bottom spot on the ticket.

Saturday, June 17th, 2000: Vice President Gore hammers down further on Governor Bush, describing him as "unready to lead" during a townhall with voters in Portsmouth, Ohio. These comments represent the latest trend in the race, with the Vice President attempting to paint his challenger as inexperienced and inarticulate. Bush's campaign in return begins to frame Gore as boring and elitist.

Monday, June 19th, 2000: Governor Bush challenges the Vice President on his role in the Lewinsky scandal, saying “He spoke out, that much is clear. But actions speak louder than words, and if the Vice President cared about the events that unfolded, or even his own campaign, he’d resign.” The strong criticism of the Vice President comes in the wake of the largely negative campaign against Governor Bush conducted by the Gore campaign, turning an already negative race into an even more personal affair.

Tuesday, July 4th, 2000: At a Dallas rally, Governor Bush unveils former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney as his running mate. Rumors swirl in Washington that Cheney - who was tasked with finding a Vice Presidential candidate for Bush - pushed for himself to be appointed to the position.

o-DICK-CHENEY-570.jpg

Bush/Cheney, the 2000 Republican ticket.

Friday, July 7th, 2000: A Gallup poll shows the presidential race deadlocked.

2000 Presidential Election (Gallup-Nationwide)
(D) Al Gore: 47%
(R) George Bush: 47%
(G) Ralph Nader: 4%
(RF) Pat Buchanan: 2%

Monday, July 10th, 2000: As preparations begin for the upcoming Republican convention, Gore narrows down his search list for the bottom of the ticket.

Wednesday, July 12th, 2000: 31 year old mechanic Thomas Jones is badly beaten by a dozen Philadelphia police officers, sparking protests in Philadelphia.

Monday, July 24th, 2000: The Green Party National Convention unanimously nominates Ralph Nader and Wynona LaDuke for President and Vice President respectively.

Tuesday, July 25th, 2000: Talks between Yasser Arafat and Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak break down at Camp David despite President Clinton's mediation. Palestinians balked at demands from Israel that Yasser Arafat declare the Arab-Israeli conflict over. Israel, likewise, refused to budge on their insistence that East Jerusalem, and in particular, the Temple Mount, should remain under their control.

Wednesday, July 26th, 2000: Vice President Al Gore announces his selection of Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT) for the Democratic ticket. The announcement disappoints progressives, who hoped Gore would balance the ticket with a more liberal choice.

gore2000_t640.jpg

Gore/Lieberman, the 2000 Democratic ticket.

Friday, July 28th, 2000: New Gallup polling shows Vice President Gore taking a lead over Governor Bush.

2000 Presidential Election (Gallup-Nationwide)
(D) Al Gore: 48%
(R) George Bush: 46%
(G) Ralph Nader: 3%
(RF) Pat Buchanan: 3%

Last edited:
So, in summary, things are largely the same. But there are some small PODs sown throughout that will have consequences (a more invigorated progressive wing of the Democratic Party for example) as we enter 2001/2002. Also, in the interest of speeding up the timeline, the next few updates will be in bunches of three to four months instead of one month per post. Next up is the Republican Convention.

Chapter 5: Republican National Convention, 2000
republican-national-convention-philadelphia-2000.jpg

2000 Republican National Convention
Monday, July 31st-Thursday, August 3rd, 2000: First Union Center, Philadelphia, PA.

Monday, July 31st: "Strength in Diversity: Making the American Dream a Reality."
-Mrs. Elaine Chao, President of the United Way.
-Mrs. Elizabeth Dole, President of the American Red Cross.
-Professor & Bush campaign adviser Condoleezza Rice.
-Congressman JC Watts of Oklahoma.
-Congresswoman Illeana Ros-Lehtinen of Florida.
-Retired General Colin Powell.

Corbis-AAFN004092.jpg

"In the seven years since I retired from the army, I have traveled across this great nation and have gotten to know many of our great citizens. I have seen hard working Americans giving of themselves to assist a neighbor in need. I've seen an economy transform itself to seize the promise of the new millennium. I have seen citizens who believe in America to the depths of their hearts, and I have seen these citizens work hard to push America forward as that more perfect union spoken of in the Constitution. Now is the time to make the dream a reality! Now is the time for a new Republican President!"

Tuesday, August 1st: "Patriot's Night: Honoring America's Heroes."
-Former General Norman Schwarzkopf.
-Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.
-Former Congressman Jack Kemp of New York.
-Former Senator Jeremiah Denton of Alabama.
-Senator John McCain of Arizona (keynote speech).

sen-john-mccain-former-2000-republican-presidential-candidate-gives-picture-id820276310

Many nations now share our love of liberty and aspire to the ordered progress of democracy. But the world is still home to tyrants, haters and aggressors hostile to America and our ideals. We are obliged to seize this moment to help build a safer, freer and more prosperous world, completely free of the tyranny that made the last century such a violent age. Governor Bush will surely put that dark age behind us, and that is why we must elect him our next President in November!

Wednesday, August 2nd: "New Ideas for a New American Century."

2000 Republican Presidential Nomination-2,066 Delegates, 1,033 needed for victory.
George Bush: 99.56%-2,057 delegates.
John McCain: 0.29%-6 delegates.
Abstention: 0.10%-2 delegates.
Alan Keyes: 0.05%-1 delegates.

2000 Republican Vice Presidential Nomination-2,066 Delegates, 1,033 needed for victory.
Dick Cheney: 99.42%-2,054 delegates.
John McCain: 0.48%-10 delegates.
Abstention: 0.05%-1 delegate.
Collin Powell: 0.05%-1 delegate.

-Former President George HW. Bush of Texas.
-Former Vice President Dan Quayle of Indiana.
-Former Senator Robert Dole of Kansas.
-Governor John Ellis "Jeb" Bush of Florida.
-Mrs. Laura Bush and Mrs. Lynne Cheney (joint speech).
-Former Secretary of Defense Richard Cheney (acceptance speech).

dick-cheney-waves-goodbye-following-his-acceptance-speech-for-the-picture-id567406907

"We can have a strong defense and presence around the globe without being bogged down in nation-building. We can have a presence in the United Nations without the United Nations having a presence in our policies and priorities. We can have a President who knows his troops are ready for battle, and knows that he'll never have to send them into battle because of that. And we can have this century as the second American century-a unipolar world in which all nations, not just our own, live in peace, prosperity, and security. This is the dawn of a new age-the age of the ascendant America!"

Wednesday, August 3rd: "Restoring America's Promise for Future Generations."
-Governor Tommy Thompson of Wisconsin.
-Governor George Pataki of New York.
-Businessman Steve Forbes of New Jersey.
-Senator Bill Frist of Tennessee.
-Congressman John Kasich of Ohio.
-Governor George W. Bush of Texas (acceptance speech).
republican-presidential-candidate-george-w-bush-waves-to-the-before-picture-id51967702

"We will use these good times for good goals. For eight years, the Clinton-Gore administration have squandered our prosperity. The path of least resistance is always downhill. But the American way is the rising road. This nation is daring, decent, and ready for change. Little more than a decade ago, the Cold War thawed, and with the leadership of Presidents Reagan and Bush, that wall came down. Now is the time to seize the moment! Now is the time to be sure that the coming century, as is the theme of this convention, will see America's promise restored, our place in the world assured, and our dreams turned into our realities. That is why I accept this great party's nomination for President of the United States!"

So, the paths are similar to OTL, but the changes are slowly coming in. Are the attacks on Bush's war record OTL, or is Gore just being more aggressive?