Accurately mapping the Moon

Here is the first draft of Luna in Worlda format:
rSv9rMA.png

A couple of things to note:
This is by no means a completed product! I've likely left out plenty of craters below sea-level or messed up a coastline. If anyone would like to point any errors out or patch the map, feel free to do so!

Excellent! Only, what, thirty-odd more planets and dwarf planets and minor planets and moons to go!

tbph, i think only Mars would be deserving of a proportionate Worlda map as well--not only are the Moon and Mars the most common planets figuring into offworld colonization stories, they're also the ones we know the most about in terms of geography. if you go for any other planet/moon, such as Europa, it would probably just be easier to say that it's just somewhere on that planet

incidentally, i've already added the Moon map to the Photoshop file for my ASB ATL and am looking into where some possible bases could be located ;)

Last edited:
tbph, i think only Mars would be deserving of a proportionate Worlda map as well--not only are the Moon and Mars the most common planets figuring into offworld colonization stories, they're also the ones we know the most about in terms of geography. if you go for any other planet/moon, such as Europa, it would probably just be easier to say that it's just somewhere on that planet

incidentally, i've already added the Moon map to the Photoshop file for my ASB ATL and am looking into where some possible bases could be located ;)

To be fair, Venus is also a popular destination in SF stories, especially in those timelines where it is a hot jungle planet rather than the hellhole it really is.

To be fair, Venus is also a popular destination in SF stories, especially in those timelines where it is a hot jungle planet rather than the hellhole it really is.

my point was more than Mars and the Moon have a better-understood geography, as well as--for stories not deliberately paying tribute to older sci-fi--being more plausible for surface habitation (since Venus is virtually uninhabitable because of its weather conditions, though floating stations are still plausible, though in that case it probably wouldn't need a map). i mean, i don't know terribly much about the geography of any of those planets, but do we even know much about what Venus looks like under all those death-clouds? i think in situations where Venus is inherently habitable as a planet covered in a perpetual rainstorm it would probably be justifiable to just make up geography or otherwise simply not address it

my point was more than Mars and the Moon have a better-understood geography, as well as--for stories not deliberately paying tribute to older sci-fi--being more plausible for surface habitation (since Venus is virtually uninhabitable because of its weather conditions, though floating stations are still plausible, though in that case it probably wouldn't need a map). i mean, i don't know terribly much about the geography of any of those planets, but do we even know much about what Venus looks like under all those death-clouds? i think in situations where Venus is inherently habitable as a planet covered in a perpetual rainstorm it would probably be justifiable to just make up geography or otherwise simply not address it

http://my-favourite-universe.blogspot.cz/2013/03/topograficka-mapa-venuse.html
https://www.flickr.com/photos/109586958@N03/11097589455/

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=7276

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/venus_maps/ (esp. http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/venus_maps/2444_3/)

Seems to be a fairly high quality altitude map of Venus here.

Last edited:

Actually, there is a Worlda-sized Mars map, made by rvbomally:
5hcnT9h.png

There's a Venus map too in Worlda size; I didn't make it, but it wasn't proportional so I did shrink it down:
ND1S0vx.png

In addition to these, I have a base map for Mercury and Ceres, though their terrain are not finished. I also have made maps for Phobos (left) and Deimos (right), but they're also proportional and therefore super tiny:
TM46WTx.png

Actually, there is a Worlda-sized Mars map, made by rvbomally:
5hcnT9h.png

There's a Venus map too in Worlda size; I didn't make it, but it wasn't proportional so I did shrink it down:
ND1S0vx.png

In addition to these, I have a base map for Mercury and Ceres, though their terrain are not finished. I also have made maps for Phobos (left) and Deimos (right), but they're also proportional and therefore super tiny:
TM46WTx.png

That is by far the best greatly made Venus map I've seen on this site. All the others I have come across were literally overdone with lines and islands everywhere and less water and more damn land. But this one is perfect and not rough. :)

You're welcome, I guess

That is by far the best greatly made Venus map I've seen on this site. All the others I have come across were literally overdone with lines and islands everywhere and less water and more damn land. But this one is perfect and not rough. :)

Thanks--it was just a basic trace of the OTL landforms with some extras thrown on

Sorry, I couldn't recall who had made the map. I would have credited you if I did.

Also, it's probably not best to use that map as any sort of base, to be honest

What with a rotated Java Island hanging out up there

Yes, I know that's lazy, but do you people have any idea how hard it is to make one good looking world map--now multiple that by the number of worlds in AJND!

erty10089

Banned
Alright, so using all of this information, plus the most common map used for the moon on the website, I was able to come up with this:
NJ9FwQG.png

If I can find a decent reference for the Moon's poles, I'll definitely make maps for them.
am i allowed to use this map as long as i credit you?