Aaron Burr in Gran Colombia

Aaron Burr retired from politics in disgrace in the early 1800s after both his murder of Alexander Hamilton (in a duel) and then an apparent conspiracy where he (maybe?) intended to take some territory in Texas. He then lived almost 30 more years, IIRC traveling to England and then returning to the USA to practice law.

In 1819 Simon Bolivar liberated New Granada and soon(-ish) after the Republic of Gran Colombia was established by the Congress of Cucuta.

What if Aaron Burr saw one last chance at a political career? IMO it seemed like after the death of his wife and child his only focus was on gaining power ("Her death was when mankind was lost to me" ~ paraphase).

What if he showed up at the Congress while they were composing their new constitution? Would he even be respected?

Or perhaps should we go a little further back and have him serve as a general in the Venezuelan War for Independence. Regardless, he becomes a figure of importance in the young republic of Colombia.

What difference would it make?

Let's handwave the why in this situation and focus on what happens if he does this - please please please (I beg of you) do not turn this into another six page thread where we discuss the plausibility of the POD instead of answering the question:

What difference would it make?

Interesting idea. Aaron Burr was one of my favorite unsung historical figures. Many paint him as an outlaw but I very much doubt the worst of Thomas Jefferson's insinuations were true (that Burr was intending in invading the Louisiana Territory with 150 men and hand it over to Spain or something. At worst, he was a filibuster in Mexico).

Yeah, explore it as far as you want to go.

He was an interested man and probably deserved better than his fate.

Many of my TL's involve him. I have him as a northeastern Mexican filibuster whom formed a nation in California with Andy Jackson and I have him as the 3rd President of the United States after Jefferson was disgraced for various reasons.

There were various foreign volunteers (largely Irish or English) that helped New Granada to freedom. I see no reason why Aaron Burr could not. The former Vice-President of the United States showing up in Caracas or Cartagena would cause a stir. He was an officer in America's revolution, why not New Granada.

A united New Grenada has also been a favorite POD of mine.

See my Quasi-War timeline, especially Quasi-War II for the relevent entries on Burr and New Granada.

Deleted member 67076

Minimal unless he can set up a federal system directly at the Congress (or shortly after) and use his military expertise to crush the Spanish in Peru as quickly as possible.

Colombia needs either of these two things to survive before its exhaustion and building frustrations amongst the elite tear it apart.