A Turtledove World War; Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday AAR

Actually I just noticed that HQ division I though I got with the "Defend the Homeland" event, was on loan from the Canadians. I wondered why I couldn't place where I'd heard of him before. :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Crerar

Despite being instrumental in the liberation of eastern Kentucky, and having command of 37 American & Canadian divisions, 6 of them armored (the five American divisions equipped with Shermans, the Canadian division equipped with Lees), and 5 of them motorized infantry, commanded by the likes of Eisenhower, Bradley and Patton, this was not enough to drive 2 Lizard mechanized infantry divisions out of western Kentucky.

ownedinowensboroix9.png

The America's. The Lizards have already annexed Uruguay and Paraguay, have taken Sao Pualo and Rio De Janeiro, and just off the map have arrived at the gates of Buenos Aires.
theamericasmk9.png

Last edited:
Well I loaded mine last night and started it. Not sure if it's running 100% right, but I concentrated on tech, had Japan attack me early December. Japan had done the usual 1.3 doomsday thing and annexed china etc and was pressing britain in burma hard.

Germany didn't DOW me, and the UK wouldn't let me join their alliance, so I started bulking up my armor on the west coast and building up infantry divisions on the west coast as well, ready to get japan.

Therefore still had my armor in country as they weren't needed in Europe. Managed to hold them on the general line from memphis/indianapolis/outside new orleans on the east coast. They ran rampant on the west coast until my division came over the long trek from the mountains, lost a few divisions in encirclment. Held them at the general line from San Diego/Denver up to Minneanapolis (sp)

Managed to push them out of Decautar and push them back to the Mississipi on the east. West coast has been pretty much stagnant. Lost San Diego and one or two over provinces until I retook it with reinforcements.

Had just managed to cut off a few provinces in a pincer movement up north and wipe out 4 or so of his divisions. Currently mid 43 and am redeploying my divisions for a big push north to south,

Seem to have found the best tactic is to make lots of armor divisions. Have about 23 or so tech 5 armor divisions and another 7 or so building, infantry is really only good for defense. Still enjoying it alot. Germany is holding its own, soviets are ok.

Hope to push them out of the USA by late 44 at this rate perhaps.

Not sure if my game was bugged, but I didn't appear to get nuked. Well worth the download though, great mod.
Slowly pushed them back

August, 1942

Several assaults on western Kentucky and eastern Tennessee failed. It seemed certain that North Carolina would fall, so I pulled out of Georgia, but I managed to salvaged the situation in N.C. I also managed to stabilize the California front.

The Cubans made a bizarre landing in Texas, liberating Houston and Dallas. That's doomed to go badly.
usaaugust1942ic9.png

The Soviets on the brink of collapse
sovietsaugust1942le3.png

Africa in pieces
africaaugust1942vc0.png

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor
The Cubans?! :eek::confused:

I guess they got tired of watching everybody else have so much fun fighting the Race...? :confused:

Looking good, I found that having 4 or so divisions in each province was enough to make them cautious but they did make a lot of piecemeal attacks, a bit like the book I suppose. Nice aar please continue :) . I did find a stack of 40 odd 41 to 43 tech inf divisions had trouble attacking two mechanised lizard divisions, ie turned into a week long battle.

Found Massed armor division attacks was the best with mass inf support.

My West and Central front was a fair bit worse that yours is at the moment. The almost got through to canada, before I stopped them.

BTW does anyone mind if I post some pics in this thread as well? Or should I start my own? :)

Last edited:
Not sure if my game was bugged, but I didn't appear to get nuked.

That's going to have to be done by event. From what I here the AI cheats if it has nuke techs and bombs the crap out of you.

One American event I thought of was a desegregation of the military event. So if your manpower falls under 500 you get the choice to integrate the military and get 100 manpower points.

EDIT: Sure, you can put pics here if you want.

Don't think I got that event. All I got was extra 30+ manpower through refugees. Current my manpower is about 70 ish. So I am almost exclusively making armored divisons now as I am moving over to the offensive. and they cost less in manpower and are more effective. It's near the middle of 1943 in game for me and have around 130 odd infantry divisions, all up about 193 total divisions with 23-25 armored, and the rest are assorted hotpotch hq and other divisions.

Currently building armored divisons at the rate of about 2 every 4-6 weeks.

Thanks will see If I can post some pics later.

Last edited:
Don't think I got that event. All I got was extra 30+ manpower through refugees. Current my manpower is about 70 ish. So I am almost exclusively making armored divisons now as I am moving over to the offensive. As they cost less in manpower and are more effective. Have around 130 odd infantry divisions, with about 193 total divisions and 23-25 armored, and the rest are assorted hotpotch hq and other divisions.

Currently building them at the rate of about 2 every 4-6 weeks.

Thanks will see If I can post some pics later.

I meant I thought that would be a good event to put in.

One thing that was bugging me:

Earlier, Thande mentioned potentially spreading out the landing zones in the southern hemisphere to speed up the fall of territories there. However, at the end of the final book of the first tetralogy, there are several discussions about conditions for the peace agreement. One of the conditions the Lizards extract from the human nations is an agreement not to aid nations not covered by the peace agreement, including the nations in South America where the fighting was still going on.

That fact tells me that you probably shouldn't have South America fall too quickly, as there's still fighting going on there by the time the peace treaty is signed.

Earlier, Thande mentioned potentially spreading out the landing zones in the southern hemisphere to speed up the fall of territories there. However, at the end of the final book of the first tetralogy, there are several discussions about conditions for the peace agreement. One of the conditions the Lizards extract from the human nations is an agreement not to aid nations not covered by the peace agreement, including the nations in South America where the fighting was still going on.

That fact tells me that you probably shouldn't have South America fall too quickly, as there's still fighting going on there by the time the peace treaty is signed.

From Bolivia up the arc of the Andes all the way to Venezuella is great guerrilla territory but it's hard to believe that there was conventional warfare happening.

I loaded up as the Race, because for some reason when they declared war on everyone they left out the Chicoms, so here you go. (Nationalist Spain is an Axis member so I don't know why they're not listed as such)

The Race.
racetechko7.png

I think the research on machine tools and construction is supposed to simulate the adaptation of the human industrial base to partially supply the conquest fleet. The other techs I find quite amusing. :D
theracequ3.png

Ok played a bit. Here was my front in OCT 42 at its worst

oct42.jpg

April 43

1943.jpg

dodg.jpg

dodge city encirclement - my second encirclement of his forces.

July 43 - current situation. Currently stopping my eastern attack and building up my west coast san diego forces, have about 35-40 divisions there near the coast. Hopefully soon planning to make a charge through to the gulf coast and making a massive encirclement. slowly shifting a few division over there as well to help. Very fun game so far.

jul43.jpg

europe april 43

europe.jpg

BTW I finally managed to send a spy to the race, seems like they have about 240 infantry divisions and around 140 odd mechanized/armored divisions.

Last edited:
Why does your game say "The Race" instead of "user defined" like mine? I wonder if something went wrong with my installation?

There were two different versions to download, a JSGME compatible one and an other below it. Which one did you download?

Last edited:
I downloaded the jsgme one, some stuff still says user defined, but most of the ingame stuff stuff does say race. Currently mainly researching nukes, rocketry, and pershing tank division tech, along with better mechanized division.

Thande

Donor

I think that was just supposed to be mountain redoubts or something, judging from the language used in the first book when Atvar holds the "half-year" (i.e. three of our months) meeting and considers progress. Unless Turtledove's being inconsistent or Atvar was glossing the truth in that meeting.

I think that was just supposed to be mountain redoubts or something, judging from the language used in the first book when Atvar holds the "half-year" (i.e. three of our months) meeting and considers progress. Unless Turtledove's being inconsistent or Atvar was glossing the truth in that meeting.

Given the Race's continuous underestimation of human strength, however, and its continuous overestimation of its own strength, I wouldn't be shocked if there were far more than mountain redoubts still existing, however. It would've taken an awful lot to make Atvar think he couldn't conquer those territories if the other human nations were interfering. That fact makes me think there was more to it than just guerrilla resistance.

I downloaded the jsgme one, some stuff still says user defined, but most of the ingame stuff stuff does say race. Currently mainly researching nukes, rocketry, and pershing tank division tech, along with better mechanized division.
:confused: Weird

I think the Lizards are going to have to be given a bit more manpower to start off. In a little over 4 months they've run out of manpower. They didn't
run out that fast, and I didn't build up the army that much before they landed. I think I'm going to load up as them and use a cheat to give them a bit more.

American front, I've liberated western Kentucky and Nashvile. I lost Florida and Georgia, and momentarily South Carolina. I've regained S.C. in the process destroying a Lizard mechanized infantry unit.
americasept1942zq0.png

South America (a week later the Race annexed Brazil)
southamerica1942nt0.png

The Japanese introduce the Lizards to the concept of amphibious assault.
japaneseindiacs5.png

Africa
africasept1942on2.png

America continues to strike back, making inroads into occupied Missouri.
The going was difficult however. The first attempt was a failure despite the mauling a Lizard air cavalry division received. The lizards pulled it back from the front lines to recuperate and the next offensive succeeded.

missourioffensivelx2.png

American front. October 1942
americaoctober1942yv7.png

However the rest of the world isn't doing as well, not surprisingly given America's unrivaled might.

Moscow imperiled! :eek:
moscowinperilfa2.png