The Saint-Maurice By-Election, 1994 NDP Leadership Convention, 1994 U.S. Senate Elections, & 1995 Ontario Election
Jean Chretien resigned from Parliament following Stronach's election to the leadership of the Grits. The ensuing by-election was seen as a three-way race between the PCs, the Grits, and UMQ. The PCs picked Denis Pronovost, a radio host who had run against the Prime Minister in 1988 and 1992. The Liberals picked Laurier Thibault, who had nearly won against PQ cabinet minister Jean-Pierre Jolivet in the 1985 Quebec election. The UMQ candidate would be Alain Déry, who had ran against Chretien in 1984 as a Parti nationaliste candidate. However, none of them would win, and it began with the Rhinoceros Party. Unusually, they would sit out the election (in what was revealed to them not finding a candidate), and endorsed the Social Credit Party. The party would announce that the decision was because "the Créditistes are more of a joke than us." The Social Credit candidate would be lawyer Maxime Bernier, the son of former PC MP Gilles Bernier (who had been expelled from the party and would lose his campaign as an independent to the UMQ). The younger Bernier worked in the office of PQ Finance Minister Bernard Landry and claimed to be the heir to Real Caouette. The endorsement from the Rhinos gave publicity to the campaign, and Bernier attracted more of the sovereigntist vote to his campaign. The Créditistes attacked the UMQ as "traitors to the sovereigntist cause," "Edmonston's play toy," and proclaimed that they were the first party to give Quebec an alternative. When Election Day came, in a very low turnout election, the Créditistes elected their first MP since the election of 1979. The news made headlines, with it generally being seen as good news for Reform to enter Quebec. Action Canada had also given a strong showing, given that they had very little support in 1992. Following this by-election, UMQ Deputy Leader Gilles Duceppe resigned. He would join Action Canada, saying that the UMQ was "dead at being anything more than Edmonston's personal party." Bernier, while a Social Credit MP, would ally with the Reform Party.

TB3MyDK.png

---

Barrett had stepped down as leader of the NDP after 1992, with Simon De Jong serving as Interim Leader until an election was held. Four candidates would come forward to become leader. Wendy Lill was a playwright who been active in the Waffle internal NDP movement. The more moderate candidate in the race would be Nelson Riis, who had been speculated to join the PCs during Mulroney's tenure. Riis had been known for his experience with financial issues and for asking the Mulroney government to block the trade of Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the LA Kings. However, two candidates would be the clear favorites. Audrey McLaughlin had been the runner-up in 1989 and had promised to have UMQ rejoin the NDP. Despite losing her seat, the vacuum in Quebec following the Saint-Maurice election would allow her candidacy to have merits to it. The clear front-runner, however, was Buzz Hargrove, President of the Canadian Auto Workers, allowing him to keep the NDP's clear base of workers in the party. He also believed that the NDP should make an alliance of the left if they did not get official party status in the next election, and wanted to move the party significantly to the left. Surprisingly, Hargrove was able to win on the first ballot, leaving the others in the dust.

bhXoBBh.png

---

The 1994 Senate elections were based on popular opinion shifting to the Democratic Party. Under the leadership of Senate Majority Leader Daniel Inouye, the Democrats were able to move on from the results of 1992 and get a filibuster-proof majority. Ross Perot's Liberty & Justice Party, while performing well in the popular vote, lost the seat of Lowell Weicker and the special election to replace Dan Boren. Republicans also had a poor night, with the only close race they won being that of paleoconservative Hawai'i Senator Mike Gabbard, despite Daniel Inouye's best efforts to flip the seat. Majority Leader Inouye, Speaker Wright, and Democrats nationwide felt very confident about the 1996 presidential election.

s0hRxPy.png

Alabama
2: Howell Heflin (D) (1979)

3: Richard Shelby (D) (1987)

Alaska

2: Ted Stevens (R) (1968)
3: Frank Murkowski (R) (1981)

Arizona

1: Terry Goddard (D) (1995)

3: John McCain (R) (1987)

Arkansas
2: David Pryor (D) (1979)
3: Dale Bumpers (D) (1975)

California

1: Jerry Brown (D) (1992)
3: Sonny Bono (L) (1993)

Colorado
2: Hank Brown (R) (1991)
3: Dick Lamm (L) (1993)

Connecticut
1: Ned Lamont (D) (1995)
3: Christopher Dodd (D) (1981)

Delaware

1: Valerie Biden Owens (D) (1995)
2: Joe Biden (D) (1973)

Florida
1: Ellis Rubin (D) (1989)
3: Bob Graham (D) (1987)

Georgia

2: Sam Nunn (D) (1973)
3: Bob Barr (R) (1993)

Hawai'i

1: Mike Gabbard (R) (1991)
3: Daniel Inoyue (D) (1963)

Idaho

2: Larry Craig (R) (1991)
3: Richard H. Stallings (D) (1993)

Illinois

2: Paul Simon (D) (1985)
3: Richard S. Williamson (R) (1993)

Indiana

1: Richard Lugar (R) (1977)
2: Baron Hill (D) (1991)

Iowa

2: Tom Harkin (D) (1985)
3: Chuck Grassley (R) (1981)

Kansas
2: Nancy Kassebaum (R) (1979)
3: Bob Dole (R) (1969)

Kentucky

2: John Brock (D) (1991)
3: Wendell H. Ford (D) (1974)

Louisiana

2: David Duke (R) (1991)
3: John Breaux (D) (1987)

Maine

1: George Mitchell (D) (1979)
2: William Cohen (R) (1979)

Maryland
1: Tom McMillen (R) (1995)
3: Barbara Mikulski (D) (1987)

Massachusetts
1: Ted Kennedy (D) (1962)
2: John Kerry (D) (1985)

Michigan
1: Bob Carr (D) (1995)
2: Carl Levin (D) (1979)

Minnesota

1: Skip Humphrey (D) (1989)
2: Paul Wellstone (D) (1991)

Mississippi
1: Wayne Cryts (D) (1995)
2: Thad Cochran (R) (1978)

Missouri
1: Allan Wheat (D) (1979)
3: Kit Bond (R) (1987)

Montana
1: John Melcher (D) (1977)
2: Max Baucus (D) (1978)

Nebraska
1: Bob Kerrey (D) (1989)
2: James Exon (D) (1985)

Nevada

1: Richard Bryan (D) (1989)
3: Harry Reid (D) (1987)

New Hampshire

2: Bob Smith (L) (1990)
3: Warren Rudman (L) (1980)

New Jersey
1: Frank Lautenberg (D) (1983)
2: Bill Bradley (D) (1979)

New Mexico
1: Jeff Bingaman (D) (1989)
2: Pete Dominici (R) (1973)

New York
1: Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D) (1977)
3: Elizabeth Holtzman (D) (1993)

North Carolina
2: Harvey Gantt (D) (1991)
3: Sue Myrick (R) (1993)

North Dakota

1: Kent Conrad (D) (1992)
3: Bryon Dorgan (D) (1993)

Ohio
1: Jerry Springer (D) (1995)
3: Mike DeWine (R) (1993)

Oklahoma

2: Dave McCurdy (D) (1995)
3: Don Nickles (R) (1981)

Oregon

2: Ron Wyden (D) (1991)
3: Les AuCoin (D) (1993)

Pennsylvania

1: Harris Wofford (D) (1995)
3: Arlen Specter (R) (1981)

Rhode Island

1: John Chafee (R) (1976)
2: Claiborne Pell (D) (1961)

South Carolina
2: Strom Thurmond (R) (1956)
3: Thomas F. Harnett (R) (1993)

South Dakota

2: Larry Pressler (R) (1979)
3: Tom Daschle (D) (1987)

Tennessee

1: Jim Sasser (D) (1977)
2: Al Gore (D) (1985)

Texas
1: Mickey Leland (D) (1995)
2: Phil Gramm (R) (1985)

Utah
1: Orrin Hatch (R) (1977)
3: Ted Wilson (D) (1993)

Vermont
1: Madeleine Kunin (D) (1995)
3: Jim Douglas (R) (1993)

Virginia
1: Douglas Wilder (D) (1995)
2: John Warner (R) (1979)

Washington
1: Mike Lowry (D) (1989)
3: Patty Murray (D) (1993)

West Virginia
1: Robert Byrd (D) (1959)
2: Jay Rockefeller (D) (1985)

Wisconsin
1: Herb Kohl (D) (1989)
3: Russ Feingold (D) (1993)

Wyoming
1: John Vinich (D) (1989)
2: Alan Simpson (R) (1979)

---

Mike Harris' surprise win in the 1990 Ontario provincial election ended up being for the worst. His approval ratings were low, as a result of a recession. Harris' tax cuts did little to help, and he looked especially vulnerable in the next election. The opposition NDP had Bob Rae staying on as NDP leader, hoping to finally gain enough seats to win the election. For the Liberals, down to third place, former Attorney General Ian Scott was chosen to replace David Peterson. Scott was on the left of the party and had been one of the Liberals who helped to work with the NDP to bring down the minority Tory government in 1985. Unfortunately, he would suffer a stroke in 1993 after a year as leader. He would resign the office and would be replaced with Magna Vice President Belinda Stronach. Stronach started out deeply unpopular, with her victory being seen as a way for her father to increase his influence on the Liberal Party. Buzz Hargrove, President of the CAW, said that auto workers needed to rally against "both of the demons. Harris believed that his only option, if he wanted to win, would be to attack Rae and Stronach, which he did, calling Rae an "extremist" and Stronach "inexperienced." While the Tories were in second for most of the campaign, these ads resulted in Stronach gaining sympathy and bringing the Liberals up to second. Ultimately, the last minute Liberal surge was not enough to prevent an NDP majority.

DIFuv2e.png

Last edited:
Would people prefer me doing a list of MPs or a leadership race?

Also, is anyone enjoying this?
tbh this is my favorite timeline although admittedly i haven't read much TLs

my previous favorite was icarus and lazarus so i guess i like Canadian TLs

Hey everyone! I'm really sorry about not getting updates in, but my life has got a lot more busy this year than normal. I've got some ideas for the UK, US, and Canadian elections, but there's is going to be a slower rollout of the updates (no more two updates in a day). Thanks to everyone who has read this timeline.

"Hey everyone! I'm really sorry about not getting updates in, but my life has got a lot more busy this year than normal. I've got some ideas for the UK, US, and Canadian elections, but there's is going to be a slower rollout of the updates (no more two updates in a day). Thanks to everyone who has read this timeline." - Oppo, over a month ago

3151449-jean-chretien-choking.jpg

argh

thank you mr. chrétien for waking me up from this absence of updates

yes i lied

& i will continue that by doing the 1996 us presidential election instead of the uk one

gotta get those likes kids