Part I: The Prince Lives
"It was in 1502 that England almost lost one of their most important Kings. This was none other than Arthur Tudor, Prince Of Wales. Arthur was the eldest son of King Henry VII and Queen Elizabeth of York, who had spent years trying to help England recover from the Wars Of The Roses. Arthur was descended from the House Of York via his Mother and House Of Lancaster via his Father. This made him the Great Tudor hope who could unify the Houses Of Lancaster and York.

So it was that when he fell with the sweating sickness in Ludlow Palace in spring of 1502 alongside his newly wed wife, Catherine Of Aragon, Henry VII panicked and spent hours praying for him"

- "A true King Arthur: The Life of King Arthur I", by Simon Caroll.

"I recall having to bring hot water, herbs and other medicines into the chamber where the royal couple laid bedridden. The young Arthur who, prior to his illness was young, handsome and lively, was now pale, sluggish and weak. It was saddening to see him so ill"

- An extract from a memoir of one Arthur's servants, written circa 1524.

"It was to the relief of Henry VII and all of England that in April the illness that plagued Arthur and Catherine broke. The young couple made a full recovery. Henry VII and his Queen were extremely relieved that their great hope lived."

- "Henry VII: A King of genius or paranoia?", by Jane .A. Roswell.

"Following his recovery Arthur took to governing Wales with vigor. He had a hospital built near Ludlow Palace and began administrating Wales. Arthur's governance of Wales was to be a sign for what would happen later in Arthur's reign. However it is often overlooked by other historians. In this book I shall research how Arthur governed Wales and how it affected his reign as King of England"

- "Before he was King: Arthur Tudor as Prince of Wales", by Trey J. Cole.

"Prince Henry Tudor, was the youngest son of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York. Unlike his brother, Arthur who grew up with his Father in another palace, he was raised in Eltham Palace with his two sisters and Mother. Henry was the apple of his Mother's world and was mostly overlooked by his Father in favor of his brother Arthur. However following Arthur's near death experience in 1502, he gained much attention from his Father. Henry VII was spurred on by Arthur's illness to find Prince Henry a bride. At first the matches were vast with Neapolitan, Navarrese and German matches being considered. Though in the end it was decided that Henry's bride would come from France"

- "The boy who could've been King: The Life of Prince Henry, Duke of York", by Harry Woods.

Hi all! Welcome to my first ever timeline on this website! I would like to give a big thanks to everyone who helped with the planning of this tl, especially isabella, CaptainShadow, Zygmunt Stary and more! The POD is of course, Arthur Tudor surviving his illness in 1502. Any feedback?

Last edited:
Great Chapter!

I love the style you use to tell the story of a real Prince Arthur. Not something I've seen too often.

I look forward to more, keep up the great work!

I will, though there could be hiatuses, where I get bored and might leave it for a bit and move on to something before coming back to it. I am hoping to get part 2 out for tomorrow!
Sounds good. Seems like you prepared for it well by using that other thread!

Part II: 1503: The year of matchmaking
“1503, was the year of matchmaking for the Tudors. The three remaining and unmarried Tudor children, Princess Margaret, Princess Mary and Prince Henry were all married or betrothed. The first to be married was Margaret who was married to King James IV Of Scotland by proxy in January. Though she wouldn’t arrive in Scotland until the end of summer of that year, with her Mother coming with her to bid farewell.”

- “The Tudors: From Welsh squires to English Kings”, by Professor John Howard.

“1503, brought Henry many matches from France. Everyone from Germaine Of Foix to Marie d’Albret was considered for the young Prince. However, by late Spring only a few choices remained. These were Germaine Of Foix, Marguerite of Angouleme and Antoinette de Bourbon. It soon came down to Germaine of Foix and Marguerite, by summer of 1503. Then by Autumn Marguerite was chosen.

Germaine had been ruled out as she was the direct niece of King Louis XII of France and thus to high for Henry. Other candidates had been ruled out due to their status and diplomatic reasons. Marguerite herself seemed like a logical choice. She was young, cultured, intelligent and beautiful. She was also brother to Francis, who at the time was the heir to the Kingdom of France. All that remained by that stage was for the marriage to be negotiated”

- “The Boy who could’ve been King: The life of Prince Henry, Duke of York” by Harry Woods.

“Around the same time Henry’s marriage to Marguerite was being negotiated, Henry VII had a marriage arranged for his youngest child, Princess Mary. The main suitor for Mary was Charles Von Habsburg, son of Duke Philip Of Burgundy and Joanna of Castile and the Grandson of Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian and the Catholic Monarchs of Spain. The marriage negotiations were quick and by the end of 1503, the marriage was agreed upon. Mary was set to marry Charles in 1515”

- “Charles Von Habsburg and Mary Tudor”, by Ludwig Fischer.

“By Christmas of 1503 the marriage contract between Henry and Marguerite had been established. The contract detailed that Henry would marry Marguerite 1507 when Marguerite turned 15. It also included a sizable dowry and a 10-year non-aggression pact with France. The non-aggression pact was made from fear that England may side with the Holy Roman Empire and Spain in a war. The marriage contract also saw Richard de la Pole, a Yorkist claimant to the Kingdom of England, being handed over to Henry VII. Richard upon his arrival was arrested and put into the tower of London and later executed in 1504”

- “The marriage of Henry and Marguerite”, by Marie Dupont.

“Having to marry a Frenchwoman is strange enough, but for her to be the sister of a potential King of France?! Are we certain my Father hasn’t accidentally mistaken me for Arthur?”

- A quote from Prince Henry that is believed to have been made as a joke to his friends.

“The last significant event of 1503 was news from Wales. Princess Catherine was pregnant with her and Prince Arthur’s child. The pregnancy began in early December. King Henry VII and Queen Elizabeth were overjoyed. Henry too was eager to become an Uncle, as were his siblings Margaret and Mary. Catherine's Parents too were without doubt delighted with news of their daughter's pregnancy. Arthur was almost definitely excited that his beloved wife was pregnant and allegedly danced around the halls of Ludlow when he heard Catherine was pregnant.

However to the aging Margaret Beaufort this was more then just good news, it was a cause of celebration. The aging Queen Mother had managed to get her once insignificant son on throne of England and now it seemed the fruit of her labors were about to show themselves. She was also eager to meet her Great-Grandchild. Indeed, she would pack her things and travel to Ludlow to accompany Catherine for her pregnancy”

“Arthur and Catherine: Till death did them apart”, by Maud Smith.

So yeah, I know I said part 2 would be out tomorrow, but I had this written and then rewrote the entire thing and re-read it and basically went through the entire editing process so here it is. Next update will probably be out tomorrow or Thursday after that they could become a lot more spread out. Hope you all enjoy this chapter and feedback is welcome.

Also feel free to give me constructive criticism, I know it's the early stages of the timeline but if there's anything you think I could improve on please let me know.