A Time For Greatness: The Alternate Presidency of John F. Kennedy and beyond

August and September, 1963
A personal tragedy
On August 7th, 1963, Patrick Bouvier Kennedy was born 5-and-a-half weeks prematurely to John and Jackie Kennedy.

However, soon after his birth, he would experience complications from hyaline membrane disease and pass away 36 hours later.

The loss was utterly devastating for the Kennedy family and would bring public awareness to hyaline membrane disease and to neonatology as a whole.

A small funeral mass would be held for the boy on August 10th, 1963.

Governor Nixon goes abroad
Richard M. Nixon had been Governor of California since January of 1963. In the eight months since his inauguration, he had overseen a trimming of the budget, and had spearheaded several public–private partnership infrastructure projects.

These included California Aqueduct (which would later be named the Governor Richard M. Nixon California Aqueduct), several major roads and highways, and mass transit services.

He had also spoken out against the prevalence of protest/anti-war culture on California university campuses. Ironically, by bringing attention to it, he was effectively fuelling further protests.

Nixon had become the object of scorn for every left leaning college student in California. T-shirts with slogans such as “Fuck Nixon”, “Recall Nixon”, and “Nixon” with the “x” replaced by a swastika and a picture of the incumbent Governor with Hitler’s moustache were commonplace.

The Governor did not shy away from visiting college campuses to give speeches, which often saw disruptive protests carried out in response to his presence.

This created, in a sense, a feedback loop for both the anti-Nixon protestors and the Governor himself. The more one side rallied against the other, the more their support among their respective base grew.

Outside of university campuses and youth political circles, Nixon proved to be a largely popular figure throughout 1963. He had operated as a post-partisanship statesman who looked to bring California together against the forces of communism, student rebellion and extremism that threatened the law-abiding members of society.

This approach paid off, as he was consistently one of the most popular Governors in America.

On August 17th, 1963, Nixon led a delegation to the Free Republic of Cuba, organised by the California Chamber of Commerce, where he met with leaders alongside several prominent California businessmen, Republican and Democratic state politicians, lobbyists, and political operatives.

Its purpose was to sign a number of non-binding agreements concerning trade, education, the environment, and tourism between California and the Free Republic of Cuba.

Nixon shook hands with President Cardona and spoke of the benefits of free enterprise:
“You, the free people of Cuba, understand that freedom is worth fighting, and, if necessary, giving your life for. You have thrown off the shackles of communism and achieved freedom for yourself and are now a beacon for all the oppressed people who suffer behind the Iron Curtain.

And you well know – a free society cannot exist without free enterprise. This is something your leaders, including President Cardona, know to be true.

I am proud to sign a number of agreements which that bind together the peoples of California and Cuba on issues such as on trade, education, the environment, and tourism.

This is truly a beautiful country, and I know there are many Californians who greatly look forward to visiting your wonderful cities, towns and countryside.”

-- An excerpt of Governor Nixon’s televised speech to the Cuban people, from Havana, Free Cuba.

Nixon’s visit was praised by the media in both countries. Conservative outlets like the National Review called Nixon “the President in waiting”, and many Republicans inside and outside of California begged the Governor to consider a run in 1964.

Nixon flatly refused – he had made a pledge that he would not be in a candidate in 1964 and he intended to follow that.

Still, Nixon returned from Cuba with his reputation more glowing than ever. He was optimistic as to what the future might hold for him.

March on Washington
On August 28th, 1963, the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom took place.

This was yet another important development in the civil rights movement, following the peaceful graduation of James Meredith from the University of Mississippi on August 18th.

The speech itself saw 300,000 people marched and protested across Washington, DC.

Speakers included A. Philip Randolph, Walter Reuther, Roy Wilkins, John Lewis, Daisy Bates, Floyd McKissick, Whitney Young, Rabbi Joachim Prinz, Mathew Ahmann, and Josephine Baker.

However, it was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr and his "I Have a Dream" speech that would come to define the event and the Civil Rights Movement as a whole.

“I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.

Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languished in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. And so we've come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.

In a sense we've come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the "unalienable Rights" of "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note, insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds."

But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. And so, we've come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice.

We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of Now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment. This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. And those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual. And there will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force.

The marvellous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny. And they have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom.

We cannot walk alone.

And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead.

We cannot turn back.

There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, "When will you be satisfied?" We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality. We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities. We cannot be satisfied as long as the negro's basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one. We can never be satisfied as long as our children are stripped of their self-hood and robbed of their dignity by signs stating: "For Whites Only." We cannot be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote. No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until "justice rolls down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty stream."

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. And some of you have come from areas where your quest -- quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive. Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.

And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

This is our hope, and this is the faith that I go back to the South with.

With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

And this will be the day -- this will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with new meaning:

My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the Pilgrim's pride, From every mountainside, let freedom ring!

And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true.

And so let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire.

Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York.

Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania.

Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado.

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California.

But not only that:

Let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia.

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee.

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi.

From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:

Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!”

The speech would go down as one of the great pieces of rhetoric in all of history.

Following the March, civil rights leaders would meet President Kennedy in the Oval Office.

The tone of the meeting was far warmer than previous meetings with administration officials and civil rights leaders.

Shortly after Kennedy’s shooting and all through his recovery, the Reverend had organised public events at churches across the United States where people would pray for Kennedy’s recovery. It generated significant goodwill among the public and among Kennedy’s inner circle.

Kennedy had proven himself to King as someone he could depend on. He had walked the walk, so to speak, and gotten himself shot in the process.

Both King and Kennedy had been touched by violence when standing up for civil rights, and this brought them closer together.

The President was extremely pleased with the March and believed it bolstered the case for the Civil Rights Act currently in Congress.

A September to Remember
September saw a number of important developments in the America’s domestic and foreign policy spheres.

On the 3rd of September, the federal minimum wage was increased to $1.25 an hour. This was one of Kennedy’s key New Frontier policies and he was happy to see it officially go into effect.

On the 4th, black students registered for schools in Alabama. Kennedy federalised the national guard in order to prevent Wallace from using them to block integration. This saw a number of black households bombed in Birmingham, and federal troops quickly descended upon the city to prevent further bloodshed. Wallace decried the use of federal troops.

On the 9th, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Maxwell D. Taylor, authorised Operation 34A which saw commandos inserted into North Vietnam, aerial reconnaissance missions and naval sabotage operations. As well as that, psychological warfare was employed to increase paranoia and discontent among North Vietnamese citizens and military officers, including the creation of a fictitious anti-communist North Vietnamese resistance, "Sacred Sword of Patriotic League". The actual effectiveness of these covert operations was debated in years subsequently.

On the 15th, another major act of violence would be perpetrated against the African American community in the South. Nineteen sticks of dynamite planted beneath the 16th Street Baptist Church and armed via a timing decide exploded, killing four young black girls, Addie Mae Collins, Cynthia Wesley, Carole Robertson, and Carol Denise McNair, and injuring 20 others.

The outcry was swift, with Martin Luther King calling it "one of the most vicious and tragic crimes ever perpetrated against humanity". Attorney General Kennedy promised that there would be “justice for the victims of this horrendous act”.

At the United Nations, President Kennedy suggested the possibility of a joint space mission between the Soviet Union and United States. Brezhnev expressed support for the idea, but behind the scenes admitted to aides that such a thing “was an impossibility”.

On the 22nd of September, South Korea sent the first of its troops to Vietnam. They would prove to be a particularly brutal, and effective, fighting force in the months to come.

On the 25th of September, Juan Bosch, the President of the Dominican Republic, was overthrown by a military coup after 7 months in power. He was replaced by three civilian leaders.

That same day, Kennedy’s tax law would pass the US House of Representatives and progress to the Senate. To get through the Senate, the administration would need to negotiate with Senator Harry F. Byrd, who said he would only allow the tax cut if Kennedy agreed to maintain a federal budget under $100 billion. President Kennedy said to Byrd that he was willing to meet this compromise, and, conscious of not appearing to be too anti-Kennedy following the attempt on his life, Byrd dropped his opposition to the tax cuts. It appeared as though Kennedy’s tax cuts would soon pass.

In international politics, the Dennings Report cleared Prime Minister Harold Macmillan, and the rest of his cabinet, of any knowledge or wrongdoing during the Profumo Affair.

On the 28th of September, Lee Harvey Oswald would be found dead in his prison cell, having been murdered by fellow prisoners, allegedly on account of his communist leanings. Four men would be charged for his murder, but none would ever be convicted.

As September ended and October came into view, President Kennedy mulled over several decisions that would define the rest of his Presidency and the United States for years to come.

Last edited:
How is Nixon doing personally... thats my question, since well... looking at his personal life and the stories from during this time, has it at least improved?

How is Nixon doing personally... thats my question, since well... looking at his personal life and the stories from during this time, has it at least improved?
Yes. I've read similar things and it has been suggested that Nixon's darker moments were fueled by political failures, like when he lost the 1962 California Governor race IOTL. Considering that he has won and is now a successful governor, things are less bad for him.

Yes. I've read similar things and it has been suggested that Nixon's darker moments were fueled by political failures, like when he lost the 1962 California Governor race IOTL. Considering that he has won and is now a successful governor, things are less bad for him.
Well, I only actually hope things turn out well for him ITTL at least so then of course, American doesn't have to deal with you know what, and at least him and Pat don't drift back closer to each other until both of them nearly lose their lives to respective issues, with Pat's being her major stroke and Dick, his blood clot issues in the leg.

I am glad the King 'I have a Dream' speech made it through the butterflies, it is such a strong speech.

Hoping Nixon will be less prominent ITTL, just to change things up and allow another figure to challenge JFK.

S. Korean's in Vietnam? Well that add a new dimension.

As I work on this timeline, I intend to work behind the scenes on a future timeline to be published following the conclusion of this timeline, which will now end at the beginning in 1981.

The options are as follows:

A more narrative focused story, ala the great McGoverning and Patton in Korea:
  • Mondale wins in 1984 - This would be in the style of the great McGoverning and Patton in Korea timelines and would be more narrative based.
  • Nixon: President in the 1980s - Somewhere between a narrative base and a more historical overview ala A Time For Greatness. The years from the POD to Nixon's presidency are briefly touched on leading up to Nixon's election victory. It would not go beyond his Presidency beyond a basic sort of outline and would end with Nixon's death.
  • Kerry wins 2004 - Will focus primarily on Kerry's presidency for as long as it lasts.
The remainder of these would be set out as A Time For Greatness is, with shorter, punchier updates that detail many different happenings and smaller events.
  • Dukakis wins in 1988
  • Thomas Dewey wins in 1944
  • McCain wins in 2000
Thoughts as to what I should do next, long-term? I'm leaning toward Nixon in the 80s or Mondale 1984, myself.

Last edited:
Both Mondale and Dukakis sound great, but i prefer Mondale; since his presidency will go from 1985-1989/1993 so he will have a lot to deal with, also curious as to how he wins

The Strategic Initiative for South East Asia , FBI and Mercury Atlas 10
The Strategic Initiative for South East Asia
"In the final analysis, it is their war. They are the ones who have to win it or lose it. We can help them, we can give them equipment, we can send our men out there as advisers, but they have to win it, the people of Vietnam, against the Communists... But I don't agree with those who say we should withdraw. That would be a great mistake... [The United States] made this effort to defend Europe. Now Europe is quite secure. We also have to participate—we may not like it—in the defense of Asia."
-- John F. Kennedy when discussing the situation in Vietnam, September 1963

On October 4th, 1963, Kennedy received the Symington-Nitze-Kissinger Report. Complied by a team led by the Vice President, his advisor Henry Kissinger and Secretary of Defense Paul Nitze, it outlined a clear plan of action in the event that the United States was forced to escalate the situation in Vietnam.

This report was compiled from past experience in Vietnam, as well as the lessons learned from American conflicts in Cuba, Cambodia and Panama. Furthermore, the report also drew from historical conflicts like the Banana Wars, the Philippines Insurrection, Haiti, and the British during the Malayan Emergency and 19th century India.

This plan had 4 objectives:
  • Secure the legitimacy of the South Vietnamese government
  • Cripple the ability of the North Vietnamese to stage incursions into the South
  • Achieve a negotiated ceasefire between North and South Vietnam
  • Establish a lasting, workable, relative peace ala North and South Korea
As part of this plan, Cambodia and Laos were centrally important.

In the event that the US was forced to escalate their involvement in the Vietnam War, they should take the following steps:
  • Send troops into Cambodia and Laos, with the consent of allied governments, to cut off the Ho Chi Mihn trail
  • Utilize naval mines in North Vietnamese harbors to further impede the ability for communist forces to transport supplies
  • Commence a large-scale bombing campaign against North Vietnamese military targets
  • Use American forces to augment preexisting security forces in South Vietnamese Strategic Hamlets
  • Limit search and destroy operations to smaller, covert teams, designed to be more difficult to ambush
Thankfully, the Strategic Hamlet program had already been working very effectively and land reforms were beginning to show promise.

But there were still things that concerned Kennedy – namely, the sectarian tension bubbling beneath the surface of South Vietnamese society, and the potential for American involvement in Vietnam to extend into a quagmire. There was also the risk that the American people could become war weary after seeing troops deployed in so many conflicts already.

Thus, the plan emphasized a key tenant of Kennedy’s outlook on Vietnam – it was ultimately a war for the South Vietnamese to win for themselves. Usage of American troops would be a logical extension of their preexisting duties as advisors.

In short, the plan focused on usage of American air power to force the North Vietnamese to a negotiated end to the fighting as soon as possible, while maintaining a secure South Vietnam for as long as possible.

The plan would come to be known the Strategic Initiative for South East Asia (SISEA).

But there was one issue remaining that could hamper the plan – the head of state of Cambodia, Norodom Sihanouk.

His policy of neutrality meant that there was no he could go along with US military involvement in Cambodia. Furthermore, other leaders such as Diem did not trust him, and were concerned his “neutrality” was tacit allowance of communist activity.

If President Kennedy were to do what Douglas MacArthur viewed as impossible – win a land war in Asia – he would have to leave nothing to chance.

As such. Kennedy asked the director of the CIA’s far east division, William Colby, to follow through on the plan to orchestrate a coup and install Lon Nol as the head of state in Cambodia.

The future of the FBI
On October 11th, 1963, Bobby and Jack Kennedy would have a discussion that would spark a chain of events that would cause a seismic shift in American society – concerning J. Edgar Hoover, Director of the FBI.

It was no secret that the brothers despised Edgar, and he them.

Hoover’s access to President Kennedy was limited by his younger brother, Attorney General Bobby Kennedy, and as a result Hoover scaled back the traditional intelligence gathering done by the FBI, responding only to requests made by the President.

Hoover’s propensity to act as a law unto himself had long bedeviled every President since FDR, but there was now a golden opportunity to change this. His hostility to civil rights groups, who had become an ally of Kennedy’s, proved irritating.

The previous day, Hoover had pressured Bobby into approving wiretaps of Dr King’s house and the New York offices of Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

J. Edgar was about to turn 70, the mandatory age of retirement for American civil servants. The Kennedys had a golden opportunity to install one of their own into one of the most powerful positions in the US government.

But they knew that the venerable and reviled Hoover would not go quietly. He had compromising information on every player in Washington and beyond, including information about Jack Kennedy’s health and extramarital affairs that could destroy his Presidency.

There were only three people in the room that day, during this fateful conversation – John F. Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, and Larry O’Brien.

The only words ever publicly repeated from this conversation was Robert Kennedy’s departing words, as the men left the Residency:
“I’ll handle it, Jack.”

Mercury Atlas 10
On October 26th, Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev reaffirmed his commitment to have Soviet cosmonauts land on the moon:
“We intend to land two cosmonauts on the moon – one man and one woman – to show that the heavens belong to the common men and women of the world.”

Pierre Salinger, Kennedy’s Press Secretary responded to this statement:
“The President welcomes the chance for peaceful competition with the Soviet Union.”

Meanwhile, the Mercury Program extended into its final phase – Mercury Atlas 10.

Piloted by Gordon Cooper, the mission would be a three-day, 48-orbit undertaking.

Christened the Hope 9, the shuttle launched on the 28th of October 1963.

Over the course of 72 hours, Cooper would manage to orbit the Earth 50 times, rather than the mandated 48.

Cooper reported no major technical issues during the flight, napped in a few one-hour blocks, and ate when scheduled.

However, as the Hope 7 attempted atmospheric re-entry, disaster struck.

The heat shielding on the spacecraft became dislodged during the course of the journey. As a result, hot atmospheric gases penetrated the space craft, badly damaging it and causing it to break apart and fall into the sea.

Cooper’s body, and parts of the vehicle, would be recovered shortly thereafter.

John F. Kennedy would deliver a speech from the Oval Office to honor Cooper’s memory and comfort the nation following the accident, which was the first fatality of America’s space program.

“Good afternoon, my fellow Americans.

Today, tragedy has struck the United States. One of our greatest pioneers, Gordon Cooper, pilot of the Hope 7 space craft, has died.

The shuttle which carried him on his daring mission into space, experienced technical difficulty and broke apart, and his body was recovered shortly thereafter.

No words can express the sorrow being felt by the Cooper family at this moment of tragedy. While we cannot know the depth of their grief, we can keep them in our thoughts and in our prayers.

The spirit of brave, pioneering men built this nation. The same spirit that Colonel Cooper embraced throughout his life and to the end.

This nation, and this planet, is better now because Gordon Cooper chose to serve it. Indeed, his bravery, devotion and ingenuity saw him go beyond the confines of this planet, to devote himself to a journey that only a handful of men in history have ever undertaken.

His name shall echo throughout history, alongside America’s greatest explorers – he is truly among that pantheon of heroes now. And his spirit shall live on, carried not only by those who loved him, but by all those who follow him into the endless expanse of space.”
-- An excerpt of Kennedy’s speech in remembrance of Gordon Cooper

Kennedy would later attend a service honoring Cooper.

The disaster of Mercury Atlas 10 was a grim reminder that the space race was one fraught with risk – the USSR had learned this with Vostok 1 and Yuri Gagarin. And now, the United States had lost one of their own.

Last edited:

The future of the FBI
On October 11th, 1963, Bobby and Jack Kennedy would have a discussion that would spark a chain of events that would cause a seismic shift in American society – concerning J. Edgar Hoover, Director of the FBI.

Secret Agent TRICYCLE, "Popov, Dusko Popov", is very pleased to hear this.
Dusko_Popov.jpg

Mercury Atlas 10
On October 26th, Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev reaffirmed his commitment to have Soviet cosmonauts land on the moon:

Meanwhile, the Mercury Program extended into its final phase – Mercury Atlas 10.

Piloted by Gordon Cooper, the mission would be a three-day, 48-orbit undertaking.

Over the course of 72 hours, Cooper would manage to orbit the Earth 50 times, rather than the mandated 48.

Cooper reported no major technical issues during the flight, napped in a few one-hour blocks, and ate when scheduled.

The heat shielding on the spacecraft became dislodged during the course of the journey. As a result, hot atmospheric gases penetrated the space craft, badly damaging it and causing it to break apart and fall into the sea.

John F. Kennedy would deliver a speech from the Oval Office to honor Cooper’s memory and comfort the nation following the accident, which was the first fatality of America’s space program.

The disaster of Mercury Atlas 10 was a grim reminder that the space race was one fraught with risk – the USSR had learned this with Vostok 1 and Yuri Gagarin. And now, the United States had lost one of their own.
"The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."
-- Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Gus Grissom.jpg

The Strategic Initiative for South East Asia

-- John F. Kennedy when discussing the situation in Vietnam, September 1963

On October 4th, 1963, Kennedy received the Symington-Nitze-Kissinger Report. Complied by a team led by the Vice President, his advisor Henry Kissinger and Secretary of Defense Paul Nitze, it outlined a clear plan of action in the event that the United States was forced to escalate the situation in Vietnam.

This report was compiled from past experience in Vietnam, as well as the lessons learned from American conflicts in Cuba, Cambodia and Panama. Furthermore, the report also drew from historical conflicts like the Banana Wars, the Philippines Insurrection, Haiti, and the British during the Malayan Emergency and 19th century India.

This plan had 4 objectives:
  • Secure the legitimacy of the South Vietnamese government
  • Cripple the ability of the North Vietnamese to stage incursions into the South
  • Achieve a negotiated ceasefire between North and South Vietnam
  • Establish a lasting, workable, relative peace ala North and South Korea
As part of this plan, Cambodia and Laos were centrally important.

In the event that the US was forced to escalate their involvement in the Vietnam War, they should take the following steps:
  • Send troops into Cambodia and Laos, with the consent of allied governments, to cut off the Ho Chi Mihn trail
  • Utilize naval mines in North Vietnamese harbors to further impede the ability for communist forces to transport supplies
  • Commence a large-scale bombing campaign against North Vietnamese military targets
  • Use American forces to augment preexisting security forces in South Vietnamese Strategic Hamlets
  • Limit search and destroy operations to smaller, covert teams, designed to be more difficult to ambush
Thankfully, the Strategic Hamlet program had already been working very effectively and land reforms were beginning to show promise.

But there were still things that concerned Kennedy – namely, the sectarian tension bubbling beneath the surface of South Vietnamese society, and the potential for American involvement in Vietnam to extend into a quagmire. There was also the risk that the American people could become war weary after seeing troops deployed in so many conflicts already.

Thus, the plan emphasized a key tenant of Kennedy’s outlook on Vietnam – it was ultimately a war for the South Vietnamese to win for themselves. Usage of American troops would be a logical extension of their preexisting duties as advisors.

In short, the plan focused on usage of American air power to force the North Vietnamese to a negotiated end to the fighting as soon as possible, while maintaining a secure South Vietnam for as long as possible.

The plan would come to be known the Strategic Initiative for South East Asia (SISEA).

But there was one issue remaining that could hamper the plan – the head of state of Cambodia, Norodom Sihanouk.

His policy of neutrality meant that there was no he could go along with US military involvement in Cambodia. Furthermore, other leaders such as Diem did not trust him, and were concerned his “neutrality” was tacit allowance of communist activity.

If President Kennedy were to do what Douglas MacArthur viewed as impossible – win a land war in Asia – he would have to leave nothing to chance.

As such. Kennedy asked the director of the CIA’s far east division, William Colby, to follow through on the plan to orchestrate a coup and install Lon Nol as the head of state in Cambodia.

The future of the FBI

Hoover’s access to President Kennedy was limited by his younger brother, Attorney General Bobby Kennedy, and as a result Hoover scaled back the traditional intelligence gathering done by the FBI, responding only to requests made by the President.

Hoover’s propensity to act as a law unto himself had long bedeviled every President since FDR, but there was now a golden opportunity to change this. His hostility to civil rights groups, who had become an ally of Kennedy’s, proved irritating.

The previous day, Hoover had pressured Bobby into approving wiretaps of Dr King’s house and the New York offices of Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

J. Edgar was about to turn 70, the mandatory age of retirement for American civil servants. The Kennedys had a golden opportunity to install one of their own into one of the most powerful positions in the US government.

But they knew that the venerable and reviled Hoover would not go quietly. He had compromising information on every player in Washington and beyond, including information about Jack Kennedy’s health and extramarital affairs that could destroy his Presidency.

There were only three people in the room that day, during this fateful conversation – John F. Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, and Larry O’Brien.

The only words ever publicly repeated from this conversation was Robert Kennedy’s departing words, as the men left the Residency:

Mercury Atlas 10

I wonder what will be kennedy policy regarding indonesia and sukarno (since in 1963 otl he became quite communist leaning)