A Time For Greatness: The Alternate Presidency of John F. Kennedy and beyond

Powerful State of the Union address there JFK.

Perhaps you can include Very strong measures against corporate tax avoidance in your reforms? Esp for off shore corporates.
Also do women not get the ‘competent counsel’ - seem to have missed them there despite saying ‘men and women’ on the next point.
Nothing about space exploration?

Symington getting his own staff is interesting- someone def has an eye on a Presidential run.

Firing Le May? Probably be fine... might have been wiser to shuffle him sideways somewhere harmless?

Powerful State of the Union address there JFK.

Also do women not get the ‘competent counsel’ - seem to have missed them there despite saying ‘men and women’ on the next point.
The language on "competent counsel" was taken straight from from JFK's IOTL State of the Union Address. It's also worth noting that Kennedy had a habit of using the term "man" to refer to all people (ex: "the freedom of man", "man can be as big as he wants" etc) at times for whatever reason.

Perhaps you can include Very strong measures against corporate tax avoidance in your reforms? Esp for off shore corporates.
Hm that's interesting. I can't seem to find any sources on Jack making that a big sticking point of his Presidency while he was alive. If he survives this year, might be something to look into. ;)
There's about to be some updates on the space race, as a matter of fact.

Firing Le May? Probably be fine... might have been wiser to shuffle him sideways somewhere harmless?
Kennedy's public dismissal of LaMay is also a way to punish him for very publicly undermining him during the period of extreme global tension that occurred in October of 1962.

Last edited:
The Trial of Fidel Castro Begins, Valentina Tereshkova, LeMay's Parade and Operation Lion Tamer
The Trial of Fidel Castro Begins
On February 2nd, 1963, the trial of Fidel Castro began.

Charged with “high crimes against the Cuban people”, Castro, along with several other survivors of his government, were put on trial for their actions following the Cuban Revolution.

They cited Castro’s political repression, mass murder, and other misdeeds as being crimes punishable by a death sentence.

Castro and his co-defendants were all represented by a team of lawyers including Enrique Armando Hart Ramírez, former President of the People’s Supreme Court.

When allowed to make a statement, Castro mocked the legitimacy of the tribunal. He referenced the fact that the several former members of Batista’s government took the witness stand to give testimony against him.

Many foreign governments echoed this sentiment, including Canada and France, who derided the tribunal as “show trial” without legal merit.

The United States responded to questions of legitimacy by comparing it to the Nuremberg Trials.

The trial was closed to the Cuban public; however, it was filmed, and edited portions were broadcast to Cuba, the United States, and to the global audience beyond.

There was little doubt as to what the outcome would be, but the White House hoped that Castro’s death would mark an important milestone in the development of the Free Republic of Cuba.

The Space Race in 1963
On February 9th, 1963, another milestone in the space race was reached.

Soviet Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova became the first woman to fly into space, as part of the Vostok 5 mission.

As a matter of national prestige, Brezhnev doubled down on efforts to get ahead of the Americans in the space race. The effort to put Treshkova into space was moved ahead several months. While many were concerned that the Vostok 5 mission was being rushed, it ultimately occurred without incident.

She completed 48 orbits during her 3-day solo mission and returned safely to Earth, to receive a hero’s welcome.

For her efforts, she was recognized as a Hero of the Soviet Union, and also received the Order of Lenin and the Gold Star Medal. She was also the youngest person ever in space, at 25 years old.

In a speech broadcast across the world, Brezhnev stated that Tereshkova’s achievement was evidence that “The ideals of true equality between people are alive and well in the Soviet Union”. He would go on to state that when the Soviet Union reached the moon, Tereshkova would be one of two cosmonauts to walk on its surface.

The US publicly congratulated Valentina Tereshkova. When asked whether the US consider sending a woman to the moon, NASA Administrator James E. Webb stated that he had zero objections to such a thing, but “we have no plans to change the outstanding crop out astronauts that are working now for our space program”.

Tereshkova became an international celebrity overnight. Her succeed was a shot in the arm for the Soviet space program that many viewed was floundering, following the failures of 1961 and 1962.

The Victory Parade
On February 21st, 1963, a crowd of thousands lined the streets of Los Angeles, California to cheer on a large parade of American war veterans returning from Cuba, with the guest of honor, Curtis LeMay, marching alongside them.

Governor Richard Nixon, Mayor Samuel Yorty, several California congressman, Senator Thomas Kuchel and other state officials presided over events and shook hands with the soldiers, sailors and airmen who returned from the conflict.

The event culminated in a large ceremony at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena.

LaMay was introduced by actor and well-known conservative activist Ronald Reagan:
“Hello, I’m Ronald Reagan. You might know me as a motion picture actor who has played a soldier or two on the silver screen. Well, this afternoon it is my honor to be the one to introduce a few real heroes. First, I take great pride in presenting the pride of America’s air services – General Curtis LeMay.”

LeMay walked on stage to massive applause from the audience.
“Thank you. Thank you, I am deeply moved by the warm reception you have given me.

As proud as I am to stand before you today, I am prouder still to stand beside these brave men who fought and sacrificed so much to defeat the communist forces in Cuba. I would like to thank Governor Nixon, Mayor Yorty and others who organised for this event to occur, so that these heroes might be recognised for their service.”

It would not be long before LeMay’s speech transitioned into a blistering attack on Kennedy’s foreign and defense policy:
“As I reflect now on my career – the wars I have fought, the wars yet to come – I know we Americans will triumph. But before we triumph over communism, we must win the battle of common sense that is being waged here amongst our leaders at home.

The issues that plagued the United States during the Korean War still plague us in conflicts around the world today in Cuba, Panama, Colombia, and Vietnam. Victory is the only acceptable outcome, and we must use every resource to win. The notion that we should go into any conflict tepidly and half-heartedly is dangerous and borderline insulting to our brave men in uniform.

Until we have leadership in this country that recognizes this simple fact, we will never defeat communism. But when we get leadership that knows this to be true, the defeat of communism will be inevitable.”

LeMay had unmistakably invoked MacArthur in his speech, to a great cheer from the crowd and to the notice of the national media.

The speech received rave reviews from conservative politicians, and many Republicans would go on to suggest that LeMay should run for President in 1964. LeMay dismissed the notion but he did say he would make himself available to serve in the next Republican administration.

The success of this event was also a major early victory for California’s new Governor, Richard M. Nixon. He received substantial praise and positive media coverage, and firmly cemented himself as the golden boy of the GOP.

Furthermore, the city of Los Angeles benefited greatly from the event. Records were broken for journeys traveled on Los Angeles public transport. Local restaurants, hotels and other businesses all saw an uptick in sales over the Victory March weekend as well.

Nixon hoped to translate this early positive attention into the fulfillment of his agenda. Time would tell whether he would be successful.

Status of American hostages in Panama
One of the most prominent issues relating to US involvement in Latin America was the recovery of American hostages taken by the Latin American Liberation Front.

From when the conflict started until the end of February 1963, approximately 31 American soldiers, downed pilots, civilian contractors, travelers, and diplomatic staff were confirmed to have been taken by LALF forces.

Generally, the LALF would make demands in exchange for hostages – the release of Fidel Castro being one of the more common (and ridiculous) offers. It was the policy of the Kennedy administration not to negotiate with terrorists, but as the number of captured Americans increased, so too did public attention on the issue.

America’s intelligence services had spent considerable time and resources into locating these hostages and believe they had found the location of where the captured Americans were being sent.

A combination of informant tip offs, interrogated LALF operates, spy plane reconnaissance and satellite images had led them to the location of what they believed to be all the hostages.

Six separate locations in rural Colombia, and two in small urban areas, that they believed contained the US hostages.

Kennedy held off on staging a rescue attempt several times, in to ensure that they could rescue every captured American in one fell swoop.

But now, they were confident that all hostages had been found. Furthermore, time was of the essence – there was no telling how much longer American hostages would be kept alive.

It was now or never.

Operation Lion Tamer
Plans for a rescue operation of American hostages had been planned, in some form or another, for several months. Information provided by Brezhnev to Kennedy detailing the specifics of Soviet arms shipments had served to increase the confidence of military planners.

Overconfidence was not the only issue.

A perpetual headache for Kennedy administration was the prevalence of in-fighting between the branches of the Armed Forces.

Each of the four Armed Services – Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines – wanted some involvement in the operation and the planning was muddled and disjointed because of this.

As planning continued, it was decided that Bell UH-1 Iroquois (or “Huey”) helicopters would be used in the operation.

Troops would deploy into the area where the hostages were kept, rescue them, and travel back with them in the Huey.

Because the Army pilots had the most experience with this particular helicopter, it was argued they should be the ones to pilot the Hueys for the mission.

However, several incursions by LALF militia members into US held territory changed these plans – it was believed that launching the mission on land was too dangerous.

Thus, the helicopters would begin and end the mission on the USS Kitty Hawk. Because it was necessary to land on an aircraft carrier, Navy pilots were the only ones capable of performing the mission.

Finally, it was decided on the President’s order that the mission, code named 'Operation Lion Tamer' would go ahead during the early hours of 2nd of March.

A failure of leadership
On the afternoon of March 2nd, 1963, President John F. Kennedy stood before the White House press corps to give a speech on the events of Operation Lion Tamer:

“Good evening, members of the press.

Today, on my orders, a joint taskforce of Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine personnel carried out a mission to rescue 31 captured American citizens in Colombia.

It is my duty, and my responsibility, to report to you now that nine American captives, as well as thirteen members of our armed forces, lost their lives during the carrying out of this operation.

It was also discovered that three men captured by Che Guevara’s Latin American Liberation Front had previously died or been executed prior to this rescue attempt.

The remaining twenty former captives have been transported to a medical facility and are being examined now. Most are in non-life-threatening conditions, but the treatment some endured while in captivity has left them in serious, life threatening conditions.

You will be provided with the latest information on these cases as soon as it becomes available.

The brave men of our Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines carried out their duties expertly and with the great professionalism they are known for.

A full investigation will be carried out concerning the tragic outcome of today’s operation, both internally by the Department of Defence and by the United States Congress…to ensure that today’s events are never repeated.

Before I respond to questions from the press, I might ask we take a brief moment to bow our heads and pray for the comfort of the souls we have lost, and the families left behind who grieve for them. Thank you.”

-- President John F. Kennedy’s statement at a press conference following the events of Operation Lion Tamer

The events of March 2nd, 1963 would be examined in multiple investigations by both the Congress and Department of Defense, as well as in books, films, television documentaries and more.

The two events that caused the casualties were:
  • A helicopter crash after the successful rescue of five US captives that resulted in the death of everyone on board (three crew, two rescued captives and eight Army Rangers). The remaining three captives and Rangers were on the 2nd helicopter that returned alive.
  • Four captives died when they were used as human shields when Army Rangers engaged LALF combatants at a in a makeshift prison camp in the San Jacinto Mountains. Two Amy Rangers died in the engagement.
  • Two American captives were caught in the crossfire during a firefight in the jungles in the south of Colombia. One died instantly and the other died of his injuries on the return journey.
  • Two American captives had died some time before the operation took place, and one was killed during an escape attempt less than 24 hours prior.
The generally accepted findings as to why Operation Lion Tamer went wrong are as follows:
  • The inter-service rivalry between the (then) four military branches led to disjointed, flawed decision making generally.
  • The Navy conducted poor maintenance of the helicopters and their pilots’ lack of experience piloting the Bell UH-1 Iroquois led to a helicopter crash that killed the crew, rescued captives and eight Army Rangers
  • The intelligence gathered, that was relied upon during the planning and execution of Operation Lion Tamer, was inadequate from the start and never became responsive. The CIA was criticised in the aftermath of events and in years subsequently. Intelligence provided by Brezhnev proved to be faulty.
Republicans criticized President Kennedy harshly for the event, with Curtis LeMay going as far as to call for the impeachment of Kennedy, citing his “failure of leadership”.

Other Republicans, like Senator Barry Goldwater were more reserved. He stated:
“Ultimately, responsibility for military successes and failures lies with the President. We in Congress will do our duty in investigating this tragedy, and we hope he will do his and ensure that a tragedy like this never happens again.”

Beyond the tragic loss of life, this event was another black mark on the Kennedy administration and emboldened attacks that Kennedy’s strategy in dealing with communist aggressors was lacking. Furthermore, the fact that some of the intelligence used in the planning stages was provided by Soviet sources led Republicans to suggest that Kennedy had been deceived by the Soviet leader.

This led to Congressman William E. Miller to later state that Brezhnev “played President Kennedy like a violin and then cut his strings”.

Suddenly, the President was looking a lot more vulnerable.

Last edited:
I'm also considering changing the name of my threadmarks to avoid spoilers for anyone looking - is that a good idea? Would people support this?

Last edited:
Killing Castro is hardly going to fix Cuba. This is indeed a show trial esp with edited footage.

Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova *should* shake up the male dominated astronaut program esp since the Mercury Woman are still around, but it won't will it?

"Los Angeles, California to cheer on a large parade of American war veterans" - I wonder how many of the invited Vets where not white?

Le May running for President as the Republican candidate instead of Nixon would be very amusing...

Operation Lion Tamer: bit of a mess there. Hopefully it will lead to some proper military reform esp regarding inter-branch cooperation. I doubt Le May could have planned that better. As for the data from Brezhnev- did they not have any satellites, or plane recon to confirm this? Le May and the press should know they would Never rely on one source of data- JFK/his people needs to go on the attack against these silly claims.

Killing Castro is hardly going to fix Cuba. This is indeed a show trial esp with edited footage.
The US is hoping that a show trial designed to make Castro look as awful as possible, followed by an execution, will blunt the support for him.

Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova *should* shake up the male dominated astronaut program esp since the Mercury Woman are still around, but it won't will it?
Sadly not.
"Los Angeles, California to cheer on a large parade of American war veterans" - I wonder how many of the invited Vets where not white?
With organizations like the Black Veterans of Cuba out there, you can be certain that they weren't focused on by the media or politicians nearly as much as their white counterparts. Though Nixon made sure to get photographed shaking hands with a new black soldiers, Yorty not so much.

Le May running for President as the Republican candidate instead of Nixon would be very amusing...
As I understand it, LeMay turned down basically every opportunity for political office beyond an unwinnable position on Wallace's ticket. But with this timeline being different, who knows?
Operation Lion Tamer: bit of a mess there. Hopefully it will lead to some proper military reform esp regarding inter-branch cooperation. I doubt Le May could have planned that better. As for the data from Brezhnev- did they not have any satellites, or plane recon to confirm this? Le May and the press should know they would Never rely on one source of data- JFK/his people needs to go on the attack against these silly claims.
A lot of the info given to Kennedy by Brezhnev was relating to the weapons provided to them "by Khrushchev" - what weapons and equipment they received, when they got it etc. Not really stuff you can confirm with satellites or recon planes.

It is speculated by Republicans and historians, though never confirmed, that Breznev deliberately downplayed exactly what was provided to Che's Latin American Liberation Front. The argument is that if the Americans had a better understanding of exactly what the LALF were armed with, they'd have been more prepared.

Last edited:
Speculation on 1964, John McCain and update on Vietnam
Speculation on Republican Challengers in 1964
With the year 1963 well under way and the mid-terms behind them, Republicans now looked toward the 1964 elections with a great deal of optimism.

Recent events had made Kennedy appear vulnerable – his approval rating was now slipping into the low 60% range, from as high as 80% from when the death of Khrushchev was announced.

Thus, Republicans remained hopeful that they could capitalize on this momentum to make gains in down ballot races and even potentially win the Presidency itself in 1964.

There was no question as to who the front runner was based on polling – Governor Richard Nixon was far ahead of any other candidate, with almost 50% of Republican voters favoring the incumbent governor. However, Nixon was adamant that he would refuse to run for President in 1964.

The person with the second highest poll numbers was another figure he said he would not be in contention for the Presidency – Former General Curtis LeMay, who polled at 21% following his publicized dismissal and criticisms of Kennedy.

In third was a man who had not ruled himself out – Governor of New York Nelson Rockefeller, fresh of a successful re-election, polled at 13%. Rockefeller was considered the standard bearer of the moderate faction of the party and had significant cross-party appeal.

And finally, Barry Goldwater came in 4th place at 10%. Goldwater was the darling of the conservative faction, though many feared he would be considered too much of ideological extremist to compete in a national campaign. Still, he had a dedicated, passionate following that would serve him well in a primary or a general election. However, there could be no question that Curtis LeMay had quickly endeared himself to the conservative faction and was absorbing Goldwater’s oxygen, so to speak.

What was left of the vote was splintered among minor candidates. However, the fact that two strongest candidates had effectively taken themselves out of the primary before it began left a void that could be filled by theoretically any Republican.

As such, these two popular figures – LeMay and Nixon – could be looked at as kingmakers. Whoever could secure the nomination of at least one of them during the primary season would surely see a major boost in the polls.

LeMay in particular began receiving a lot of calls from Republican politicians, seeking to massage his ego, seek his views on issues, and generally try and go about building rapport with the General.

Suddenly, Curtis LeMay was the most sought-after figure in Republican politics.

A survivor
Of the 20 American held by the LALF, none received as much media publicity during or after their time in captivity as John McCain.

McCain was born into a family of prominent sailors and had made a name for himself as a daring (some would say reckless) pilot in Cuba. Compared to that, Panama should have been easy.

But it was anything but easy. Since being shot down and dragged away by members of Che’s militia, every day McCain lived through was pure hell.

During the crash, McCain had been knocked out. By the time he woke up, he had been dragged away from the wreckage of his Skyraider.

Despite his injuries, he was made to walk for hours at a time through the jungle, despite the nauseous, dizzying haze that had surely been the result of a concussion.

The next few weeks had been a blur – being chained up in one shack for what he could only presume was a day or two, before being shoved in the trunk of a car with a bag over his head.

McCain had staged an escape attempt while in transit. He had managed to loosen his restraints and force open the rusted lid of the trunk before rolling out.

“They should’ve used better quality rope”, McCain would often say, both in public and private, when recounting the event.

However, during his attempt to roll out of the trunk, he landed badly and wounded his left arm and shoulder. The pain was so excruciating. Even at the time McCain was sure he had broken it.

He could hardly get to his feet before his captors reversed, got out the car and tackled him back down to the ground. He remembered being beaten severely, and the hopelessness he felt as the bag was placed back over is head.

When he got to his new makeshift prison in the cellar attached to a slightly more put together cabin another run-down shack, they took a hammer to both of his legs to make sure he never tried escaping again.

It would not be long before they began to ask him questions in broken English, asking for information on American tactics and weaponry.

McCain gave them only one thing – his name, his rank, and his serial number.

However, these were not soldiers bound to the Geneva Convention. They would beat and torture McCain on a near daily basis.

Even when it was clear that McCain would give them nothing, they continued. Eventually, McCain could only surmise that they must have grown to enjoy torturing him.

It was as though McCain symbolized the American invader, and his half dozen captors were using the young Navy pilot to act out their revenge fantasies.

Beyond the regular beatings, McCain was given only the barest scraps of food and water to live on.

As the months went by, McCain’s condition deteriorated.

After a while, a local doctor from a nearby village would occasionally be brought to deliver to the most rudimentary of care so that McCain might stave off death for another few days.

This was not an act of mercy – they were simply doing what they could to stretch out what had clearly become a sick form of entertainment to them.

Towards the end of his time in captivity, McCain was barely cognizant of the world around him. Time itself had no meaning, days and nights slipped by everything was a blur.

The only thing that differentiated one moment from the next was pain – long stretched of constant, sustained aching broken up by intense periods of searing, brutal agony as his captors practiced their newest and most sadistic torture method.

McCain was not even consciousness when a team of Army Rangers dispatched his captors with the clinical proficiency they were known for. The firefight ended less than 20 seconds after it began, with all of McCain’s six torturers’ dead.

Such a quick death was too good for any of them. Not after what they had done to him.

By the time McCain regained consciousness, he was aboard the Huey. He was too weak to even speak and thank the men who had rescued him. But in time, he would personally thank every single one of them.

McCain would later recount that his time on the Huey was when he felt the closest to death during his almost ten-month ordeal.

For the entire time he had been a captive, McCain had survived on pure stubbornness – he would not let his captors break him. His pride had driven his survival, he had to outlast the monsters who made his life a living nightmare. With that goal completed, McCain felt his strength begin to dwindle as the desire that had fueled him was now sated.

John McCain would not die a captive.

And as fate would have it, he would live to see the United States again. As his consciousness faded, he was sure he was about to meet his maker. Instead, he awoke in a military hospital.

In his best-selling recount of his time in captivity, entitled ‘299 Days’, McCain would write:

“I had been born in on a US military base in Panama, and I was prepared to die in Panama. But I would not allow myself to be beaten by those animals. They could break my bones, but I wouldn’t let them break my spirit. I told myself I would not die in the basement of some shack in the middle of a foreign jungle.

I hung on for as long as possible and gave my captors nothing except my name, rank and serial number. It was what I had been taught.

In the end, I survived, and they didn’t. So, I suppose my training did serve me well, even if I wasn’t much of a cadet.”

The story of John McCain would be told and retold by the man himself in interviews, speeches, and memoirs, and by others in documentaries, TV shows, films and more.

When he returned to the United States, President Kennedy personally awarded him with several military honors.

As a result of service in Latin America, McCain would receive the Silver Star, two Legion of Merits, Distinguished Flying Cross, three Bronze Star Medals, two Purple Hearts, two Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medals, and the Prisoner of War Medal, among others.

McCain often found humor in his situation, joking that hell “was probably a lot like a Colombian basement”.

He would live with a number of disabilities, including a limp and limited mobility in his left arm for the remainder of his life.

But he had been through hell and emerged, not unscathed, but alive.

An update on Vietnam
By mid-March, Ambassador Hillsman’s report to the White House had presented a clearer picture of the current state of South Vietnam, following the decision to break up the Diem brothers and take a firmer hand in shaping the policy of the country.

The modified Strategic Hamlet Program was showing considerable promise – locals were responding well to militia training and the decision to modify existing communities to fit the program rather than force Vietnamese farmers to move away had clearly been the right one.

There was another benefit to this program – Ambassador Hillsman and General Abrams had developed strict codes of conduct for military advisors to follow when interacting with Vietnamese locals.

It was vitally important in the eyes of both men that the average South Vietnamese should have a positive view of the American soldiers who would be operating in their communities. Advisors were encouraged to build amicable relationships with residents in Strategic Hamlets and report any American serviceman acting improperly toward locals.

This strategy of winning “Hearts and Minds”, Hillsman and Abrams believed, would prove central to the continued survival of South Vietnam. President Kennedy agreed and had managed to convince Secretary Nitze and the Department of Defense to go along with it.

However, despite successes, relations with Diem had not improved to any significant degree – he resented the US for forcing his brother away and for imposing upon his leadership. But increased funds for the US to carry out land reform and other domestic agenda items had proved to quiet discontent among Diem and his loyalists.

Hillsman had to exercise clever workarounds to address some of Diem’s more extreme decisions. When Diem refused to arm certain military units because he feared they would organize a coup against him, Hillsman designated those units the role of testing the AR-15 and gave them the weapon directly.

Such workarounds hurt relations between the US and Diem, but were viewed as necessary to ensure the security of South Vietnam.

It was a difficult balancing act – trying to guide South Vietnam in the right direction while also trying not to alienate South Vietnamese leadership or its citizens, but Hillsman felt current US policy, while not perfect, was moving in the right direction.

The military aspect of US involvement in South Vietnam proved stable. By now, America’s fighting forces were very familiar with guerrilla warfare and the advice and training given to ARVN troops had begun to craft them into an even more effective fighting force.

In January, the battle of Battle of Ap Bac resulted in a stalemate with about 40 killed on both sides, including one American advisor.

However, February saw a much more favorable outcome for the South Vietnam, with a string of victories in the Mekong Delta that forced Viet Cong forces to leave the battlefield with far more casualties on their side.

As long the money kept flowing and the military victories allowed Diem to spread propaganda, the current arrangement could work.

Both militarily and politically, it appeared that South Vietnam was holding its ground against the North.

But still, Kennedy recognized that the North and South were effectively in a stalemate, and the situation could rapidly shift. He did not want the US dragged deeper into another costly military conflict after the debacle in Latin America.

A negotiated ceasefire between North and South Vietnam was the only path Kennedy saw to avoid the risk of another costly war.

As such, Kennedy hoped that the ideal set out in his 1963 State of the Union address, a global summit to ease conflict and establish a lasting era of peace in the modern would, would come to fruition.

Last edited:
As such, Kennedy hoped that the ideal set out in his 1963 State of the Union address, a global summit to ease conflict and establish a lasting era of peace in the modern would, would come to fruition.
Dont do it John. If NATO is dismantled, the Communists win, its that simple.

Top films of 1962:

RankTitleStudioBox-office gross rental
1 The Music ManWarner Bros.$17,100,000
2 Lawrence of ArabiaColumbia Pictures$14,700,000
3 The Longest Day20th Century Fox$14,200,00
4 That Touch of MinkUniversal Pictures$10,570,000
5To Kill a Mockingbird Universal Pictures$8,900,00
6 In Search of the CastawaysWalt Disney/Buena Vista Distribution$7,900,000
7 Hatari!Paramount Pictures$7,000,000
8 GypsyWarner Bros.$6,000,000
10 The InternsColumbia Pictures$5,250,000
Out of curiosity, where's Dr. No?

Events in March, The Hunt for Guevara, The Youth Education Improvement and Juvenile Delinquency Act of 1963, & Kissinger’s memorandum on Indochina
Change is in the air
The remainder of March saw several changes in American society, most of which delighted Kennedy.

On March 18th, The United States Supreme Court found in Gideon v Wright that any criminal defendant who could not afford one had an absolute right to have a public defender appointed for him or her, at government expense. Kennedy’s State of the Union address had called for such rights, and he was delighted to see the courts come to the same decision.

That same day, when ruling on Gray v. Sanders, the Court issued an 8 to 1 decision striking down the county-unit system of voting. This law had the effect in states like Georgia, of awarding at least two "unit votes" to the candidate winning even the least populated rural county, and no more than six such units to the most populated counties. The effect was to disenfranchise urban voters, and increase the power of rural voters.

Justice William O. Douglas wrote:

"The conception of political equality... can mean only one thing— one person, one vote."

On March 21st, 1963, under orders from Attorney General Bobby Kennedy, the last prisoners from Alcatraz Island, due to the high cost of maintaining the prison. It was thus closed down. On that same day, the US approved the first vaccine to combat measles, produced by Merck Sharp & Dohme.

On March 31st, Kenendy made a state visit to Guatemala to meet with President Miguel Ydígoras Fuentes. In private, President Kennedy thanked Fuentes for his part in the successful invasion of Cuba. The two men also discussed the Alliance for Progress, The Alliance of Pan-American States and how best to combat leftist guerrilla movements in Latin America.

The Hunt for Guevara
By early April, the media attention surrounding the disaster of Operation Lion Tamer had not dissipated as the White House had hoped.

In fact, Congressional investigations, and increased media scrutiny at military conduct in Latin America had revealed some of the perceived shortcomings in Kennedy’s approach.

Following the Massacre at Salamina, Kennedy had scaled back the involvement of American ground troops in Latin America.

Now, most America’s ground forces were in place only to protect key American instillation like the Panama Canal Zone, embassies, airfields, and the like. Search-and-destroy patrols were discontinued entirely.

The only time US forces were deployed was at the request of native governments, to support and fight alongside local security forces, or when special forces were used to target specific, high value targets that made up the leadership of Che Guevara’s Latin American Liberation Front.

Republicans, conservatives and even a few hawkish liberals in the Congress bemoaned the current strategy of the Kennedy administration, claiming the President was not doing enough to fight communism and that he was effectively allowing it to spread through Latin America.

President Kennedy was desperate for a reset – to change the narratives away from Republican attacks. And the best way to do that was to get Che Guevara.

Guevara proved to be a far more elusive, clever target than Fidel Castro – rather than surround himself as many men willing to fight for him as he could find, Che had a different strategy.

He allowed only a small number of loyalists to know his location, and they would be is couriers and act as his lieutenants. On the rare occasion they managed to capture one of these few loyalists, it did not produce results – neither bargaining nor any method of interrogation had produced any results, and Kennedy wanted Che sooner rather than later.

This was made all the more difficult as Che’s constantly changing location meant that any information, they did eventually get was out of date by the time they acted on it.

Thus, the decision was made to change tact – rather than trying to capture Che’s couriers, they would instead follow them back to the source. But this in itself would prove difficult – couriers used a number of pseudonyms, varied their routes and would often deliberately travel to empty safe houses if they suspected they were being tracked in any way.

Still, any progress was good progress. Despite numerous setbacks, shipments of Soviet weapons had dried up, Che’s supply of American hostages was gone, and American intelligence services were getting more and more insight into how Che’s LALF operation worked.

The net was tightening and with any luck, he would soon be in their grasp.

The Youth Education Improvement and Juvenile Delinquency Act of 1963
If the Kennedy needed a reprieve from the negative media attention surrounding Latin America, they got it with the passage of the Youth Education Improvement and Juvenile Delinquency Act of 1963.

The act addressed two issues that had considerable bi-partisan appeal in Congress – youth education and crime.

This act met both those problems in a single bill, though not the extent that either liberals or “tough-on-crime” conservatives wanted. Still, neither side wanted to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Passed on April 9th, 1963, the act provided funding to vocational education services and increased enrolment significantly, gave federal grants and loans for construction of classrooms, laboratories, and libraries. Grants to undergraduate colleges and public technical institutes would be provided based on the State's per capita income and the number of high school graduates in the State—with the Federal Government furnishing 40% of the matching funds.

It also provided educational assistance to the children of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability arising out of active military, naval, or air service during a period of war or the induction period. Wars include Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II, Korea, and Cuba.

On the inverse, it also increased punishments for repeat young offenders found guilty of violent crimes, provided greater funding to the states for diversion programs, and increased funding to renovate youth detention centers.

Kennedy praised Congress for the passage of this legislation:

“The Youth Education Improvement and Juvenile Delinquency Act of 1963 promises new hope for those young people in this country who feel they have been left behind. Thank to this legislation, no young person in the United States will be denied quality education on the basis of their financial situation, or because of personal hardship.

This act also provides the states to address the growing issue of youth delinquency, while also giving misguided youths a second chance to turn their lives around and become productive members of society. But to those who ignore or shun these opportunities to improve themselves – who choose a life of crime and refuse to accept responsibility for the pain they inflict upon their fellow Americans – you will face justice for the wrongs you have committed, and your victims’ cries shall not be ignored.”

-- John F. Kennedy’s speech following the passage of The Youth Education Improvement and Juvenile Delinquency Act of 1963, on April 9th 1963.

Another domestic achievement by the Kennedy administration offered the briefest of reprieves from the negative attention caused by Latin America, but it was a reprieve the White House was thankful to get.

Kissinger’s memorandum on Indochina
On April 14th, 1963, the Vice President’s personal foreign policy advisor, Henry Kissinger, submitted his memorandum for consideration to Stuart Symington.

It listed the wider political considerations for success in South East Asia beyond the borders of Vietnam to keep communism contained.

This was Kissinger’s first test as a member of the Vice President’s new staff, and he was eager to impress.

It cited Laos and Cambodia as being central to the overall defense of Indochina – trying to operate only in South Vietnam while ignoring Laos and Cambodia would allow the Vietcong to effectively outmaneuver US and South Vietnamese forces even if they consistently lost direct military engagements.

Thus, it called for the deepening of political, economic, and military ties between the United States, Laos, Cambodia, and South Vietnam.

As Kissinger put it “changing the order in which the dominoes fall will not alter the final result”.

Symington put it another way: “If we ignore Laos and Cambodia, we’ll only delay the inevitable in Vietnam”. He then went on to compare it to changing deck chairs on the Titanic.

The Vice President provided the report to Kennedy, who agonized over its findings.

The issue for the President was not that he disagreed with what was presented – quite the opposite.

Kennedy found the report to be sound, but its implications were disturbing. It invited the notion of an expanded front in South East Asia, and a deepening US involvement in a greater conflict Kennedy was sure would soon come.

Kennedy feared he would soon have a choice to make – expand US involvement in Indochina, invite the risk of a land war in Asia that Douglas MacArthur had warned against, or walk away entirely.

Still, he knew the worst of both worlds was to drag out the conflict with half measures and limited involvement that stretched America’s military capabilities, and national psyche, to breaking point.

So, which was it? Would Kennedy double down on his commitment to South East Asia, or phase out American support in the region and leave them to their own devices?

With all the choices John. F Kennedy envisioned making in the coming years as President, none concerned him more than that.

Last edited:
Good update,
Hope Guevara gets caught soon.
If Kennedy handles Southeast Asia well he will go down as probably one of the best Presidents.

For the 1964 election i hope Goldwater still getd nominated because Kennedy would curbstomp him