A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

It is by definition Richards fault.
He has plunged the country into civil war , this has caused the French to take the chance....nothing more, nothing less.....this action of personal greed and grab for power he thinks is his but was not granted him by god has caused this.
He has broken his vow before God and is reaping all he sows.
The kingdom in his hands for a short time and he loses Calais.
Worked out for Henry IV.

It is by definition Richards fault.
He has plunged the country into civil war , this has caused the French to take the chance....nothing more, nothing less.....this action of personal greed and grab for power he thinks is his but was not granted him by god has caused this.
He has broken his vow before God and is reaping all he sows.
The kingdom in his hands for a short time and he loses Calais.
No way. Richard was forced to act by the incapacity of Henry VI. And Richard was either reclaiming his rightful crown or taking the control of the realm from a weak king unable to rule in the same way Henry IV has done so Lancastrian will need to stay quiet on that point.

Yes, but he was a Lancastrian and hence for Lancastrian fans (like myself) it's okay for Henry IV to do it, but not for Richard (cuz he wasn't a Lancastrian).
Do not work like that, when they had done exactly the same thing. Either Richard was justified by the incapacity of rule and the weakness of the Crown OR he Richard III was an usurper but also Henry IV was

Chapter 127: Heir's Fare

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 127: Heir’s Fare

August, 1460

“The King refuses to send men to Calais.” Edward said, looking at his brother Edmund. Edmund put down the book he was reading and asked.

“Why?”

Edward shrugged. His father had not explicitly said why, but he could suspect a reason. “Wants to teach Welles a lesson.”

“And lose our last possession in France?” Edmund asked, frowning.

“I don’t think he’ll let it get that far.” Edward said. At least he hoped not.

“I’m not sure.” Edmund replied. “After all the King seems convinced that Henry of Lancaster is going to move out from Truro, or that Northumberland is going to do something. You yourself said he’d ordered Salisbury to march northwards.”

That was true, Edward remembered the argument that the King and the Archbishop of Canterbury had had over that. Canterbury had suggested Salisbury come back south from Coventry, but the King had insisted that he go north. Canterbury had stormed out. “True, but how long do you think it would take for the King to gather a force of men and send it out to help the garrison?”

“I don’t know. Maybe a month?” Edmund said.

“Less than that.” Edward said.

“How do you know?” Edmund asked.

“Because I’ve been preparing men for weeks now. On the King’s orders.” Edward said, ever since Oxford had refused his offer, the King had ordered Edward to start preparing men from Royal Household and elsewhere, for what he didn’t know.

“And you think those men are going to be sent off to Calais?” Edmund asked, he sounded sceptical, and truth be told, Edward couldn’t blame him. He was sceptical of it as well now that he’d had time to think it through.

“Perhaps. I suppose it all depends on what the King wants.” Edward said.

“True.” Edmund agreed. “I suppose Welles could’ve made his case a bit easier if he hadn’t thrown our cousin Henry in a cell.”

Edward laughed. Their cousin Henry had been appointed Captain of Calais by the King and sent to take control of the city, only to be rebuffed by Welles and thrown in a cell within the city, for daring to state that fact. Of course, Henry hadn’t helped himself with his pomposity but still. “Indeed not.”

They both fell silent then and Edward got the sense that his brother was trying not to pry any further. From the way, the younger man’s brow was furrowed, Edward knew that this was taking a lot of effort for him. Edward could understand that. His brother was a naturally curious person and thus not being able to engage further in council discussion must be infuriating for him. Why the King hadn’t included him on the council yet, Edward didn’t know.

He decided to break the silence then. “Do you know when you’re going to Ireland?” That might give his brother something useful to do.

“No.” Edmund said. “It’s supposed to be sometime soon. But I imagine with the waters being unsafe it might be delayed.”

Edward nodded. “Must be a relief for you though. Not having to travel with a small child.” His nephew was a delightful bundle of emotion just now. Edward didn’t mind, but he also knew his brother was prone to panicking.

Edmund grunted. “I’m more worried about Margaret. The birth really took it out of her.”

“But she’s doing well now right?” Edward asked.

“Somewhat yes.” Edmund said.

“That’s good.” Edward said. The rest would do them well.

His brother changed topic suddenly. “And what of you? Have you decided on a bride?”

Edward laughed. That was cheeky of his brother. “Marie of Foix.”

“Why her?” Edmund asked.

“Because she’s the same age as me.” Edward said. He didn’t want to marry some old bat like the Portuguese Infanta.

Edmund snorted. “You do know that the Infanta is probably going to be more of a match for you. She’s supposed to be very smart, if our ambassador is right.”

Edward grinned. “True, but we’ve got Margaret for the smarts, don’t we?”

Edmund laughed. “I suppose so.”

Edward was about to say something else when a servant entered the room. The man bowed and then said. “His Majesty asks that Your Royal Highnesses join him in the Council Chamber, it is urgent.”

Edward looked at his brother and wondered what it could be.

York’s best move possible is to send men to Calais (bit risky if Edward’s leading the armies) or go capture Henry VI in Cornwall.

York’s best move possible is to send men to Calais (bit risky if Edward’s leading the armies) or go capture Henry VI in Cornwall.
I don’t think the York princes will be seeing battle yet, certainly not the prince of Wales. granted there are five of them but there’s only one grandson right now...

I don’t think the York princes will be seeing battle yet, certainly not the prince of Wales. granted there are five of them but there’s only one grandson right now...
They need to be leading armies. They need to be showing that the Yorks are a more martial family - and therefore truer Plantagenets - than Henry VI. And Edward's the heir, he needs to be seen to be taking responsiblity for his father's cause, especially now that he's eighteen and more than old enough to lead... John of Gaunt saw his first naval battle at ten, for heaven's sake. I wouldn't be surprised if George didn't go along too...

Chapter 128: Woofferton

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 128: Woofferton

August, 1460

Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick looked up from the map as he heard footsteps. “Well?” He asked.

“Six hundred men, all told, Sir.” His cousin Sir Henry Neville said.

“Buckingham?” Richard asked.

“At the forefront, Sir.” Henry answered.

Richard nodded, he folded the map and handed it over to his squire. For months he’d been chasing Buckingham’s army around the Midlands. They’d slipped away at Redditch and at Worcester but now near some poor village hovel called Woofferton they’d found him. And Richard wanted to end the threat here and now.

“Ready the men.” Richard said looking at his other cousin also named Richard.

“Sir.” He watched his cousin hurry off and Richard rolled his shoulders and prepared for what was to come. It wouldn’t be an easy time, it would be difficult, but he felt that they had the advantage. In men as well as in terms of the ground.

It was flat here, which would make it easier for them to use the cavalry. Of course, the standard style of fighting now meant you dismounted, but if the advantage was there you would be foolish not to take it.

“Sir.” A voice said. Richard turned and saw that his squire had brought his horse. Richard nodded his thanks to the lad and got onto the horse. The animal snorted and then moved as Richard urged it on, he would be leading the charge after all.

As they got to the clearing, where Richard had chosen the site of battle. He turned and looked at one of his men. “Tell Sir Henry it is time.”

The man nodded and hurried off.

His cousin was to lead Buckingham on a merry chase and then bring him to this field. Where Richard and his men would be waiting. It would not be clean, and it would not be pretty. But it would work. Of that he was sure.

He’d spent a lot of time since Coventry thinking it through and had decided this had to be the way to go.

They had to stop Buckingham from getting to Wales. If he got to Wales, then that was that. The man would link up with Henry Beaufort and then they were all fucked.

He heard a bugle sound and nodded to himself. That was the sign that his cousin had ridden off with his men to lure Buckingham to the site of battle. “Go with God.” Richard murmured to himself.

His father and brother had gone north to deal with Northumberland and Westmoreland. Whether they would succeed there, Richard didn’t know. He hoped so. He wanted his father to kill Northumberland and wipe out that damned family once and for all.

Things were getting tense throughout the Kingdom. Richard knew that. Anyone with smarts knew that. The longer Henry of Lancaster sat in Truro the more damaging it was for King Richard’s prospects. There needed to be one big battle and the matter needed to be resolved that way.

But for some reason the King refused to entertain such prospects. Richard’s father felt it was because the King didn’t want to bring about the mass death that would result from such a thing. Which was commendable. However, Richard was sure it was because the King knew he would need to kill Henry of Lancaster and that was not something he really wanted to do.

Richard supposed he could understand. After all the King and Lancaster were cousins, both male line descendants of King Edward III, and they had been close once. If Richard remembered correctly. That was not something that easily went, Richard was sure. And yet, something needed to be done.

This constant fighting, back and forth would solve nothing. They needed decisive action.

Richard blinked as he heard what sounded like hooves, or was it men? “Look ahead!” He barked. He saw someone produce one of those new eye scopes and saw them fix it to their eyes. A moment passed and then another, the sound was getting louder.

“Buckingham, Sir!” The man shouted.

“Prepare!” Richard roared. The command was passed down the line. Richard grabbed his sword. He took a breath. One…the men came into view, it was Buckingham’s men, they were running hard. Two…Buckingham was at the front; Richard would recognise that oaf anywhere. Three…he took another breath. “Charge!” He roared, he urged his horse on.

Blood rushed to his head, his heart quickened. He drew his sword and then the action began. Cutting, slashing, toing and throwing. Moving forward and backward. Bringing the weapon of death on those who were before him. He was looking for Buckingham but he couldn’t find him.

It didn’t matter, there were others who could be removed.

He took a good swipe at many of Buckingham’s retainers, the stench of blood slowly creeped into his nose and into his mind. He fought the urge to throw up and kept going. This was it. The decisive moment.

His horse buckled under the weight of something, Richard had time to disentangle himself, but the horse died before his eyes. He stumbled into the fray, his sword still in his hands, until it wasn’t. He started punching, using his gauntleted fists to exercise the rage and energy.

One man came and went, as did another. It was a constant whirlwind of action and inaction. His heart raced, his breathing was coming out in fits and starts. Where was Buckingham? He didn’t know.

He heard a bugle sounding and wondered who it was that was coming.

He heard a shout and then saw something. What was it? The King’s banner? Or something else? A red rose? He didn’t know, but the battle continued.

No, we need a Yorkist Victory. ;) And Richard is right, we need one more big battle that finishes one side off altogether. Nothing else is going to bring this civil war to an end (which I am sure everyone is more than ready for right now)

VVD0D95

Banned
*Fingers crossed* Please be a Lancastrian victory, please be a Lancastrian victory, please, please be a Lancastrian victory
No, we need a Yorkist Victory. ;) And Richard is right, we need one more big battle that finishes one side off altogether. Nothing else is going to bring this civil war to an end (which I am sure everyone is more than ready for right now)

Oh both sides are very much desperate for an end, I can assure you ;)

However the established Lancastrian dynasty unfortunately sucks! If Henry VI was actually a GOOD king none of this would be happening! I really can’t see advancement for the country as a whole under the Lancastrian dynasty.

VVD0D95

Banned
However the established Lancastrian dynasty unfortunately sucks! If Henry VI was actually a GOOD king none of this would be happening! I really can’t see advancement for the country as a whole under the Lancastrian dynasty.

Oh? Even if Henry dies and his son ascends the throne?

Do you Henry V? Also Henry VI suffered a mental illness so that what caused all the issues.