A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Now Edward is no Richard III. I predict he'll capitalize on Warwick's murder by actually releasing Somerset. It signals to all that Edward is merciful and, above all, won't execute a man after a biased mock trial. Also he'll benefit because either a) Somerset will continue to give Henry retarded advice, or b) Henry will maintain his newfound balls and imprison/execute Somerset himself, making himself seem even crazier and causing more division on his side. It was the kind of thing that Edward would think of in OTL.
I doubt it. I feel like Edward will be bigger and execute Somerset and Oxford, he did the same with Somerset’s son in OTL. Both families have tense feuds and I doubt Edward would be merciful, especially after his Father’s death.

I believe Edward became a strong king after two events the first being aftermath of the Battle of towton and Warwick's portrayal and the brief Lancastrian restoration turned him into a strong king. I wonder if OTL Richard III will still go to the church.

Now I really want Edward to capture Margaret of Anjou and Edward of Westminister, just to raise Edward with his own son. :p

Plus, having the "two" heirs of the throne being raised by a King who controls the capital would be juicy

Chapter 142: Woman

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 142: Woman

August, 1461

Margaret Beaufort, Duchess of York looked at her sister Agnes, and said. “You look rather worse for wear, dearest sister.”

Agnes laughed. “I could say the same for you, Your Royal Highness.”

Margaret laughed as well. “I am five months pregnant, what is your excuse?”

“Having to run three farms whilst my husband fights in a war without a clear instruction as to who his landlord is.” Agnes said.

Margaret frowned. “You mean to say David doesn’t know who his landlord is, or that the war has made it difficult for him to know?”

Agnes sighed. “The latter. We knew who our landlord was before the war. The Bonvilles. But then Henry of Lancaster had the entire male line killed apart from one small girl who is an infant, and thus unable to tell us what our rates are meant to be.” Margaret raised an eyebrow, what did her sister mean by what her rates were meant to be? Rates were fixed.

Agnes continued on. “Lady Bonville’s grandfather had told us that he would change the rates at some point in the future, but with him now being dead, and with his son dead as well, it has become much harder to actually know what to do. The last bit of communication we received said that our rates were going to go down, but that was then and this is now.”

“And what about her mother? Could she not tell you what is what?” Margaret asked. Bonville’s mother was a Neville if Margaret remembered correctly.

Agnes shook her head. “The woman is useless. She knows nothing about anything. And given her losses I think that is a fair enough thing.”

Margaret sighed. They’d received the news that the Earl of Warwick had been executed in Wales by Henry of Lancaster, the man’s wife was grief stricken, and the Dowager Queen was grief stricken. They were all in mourning. “I will see what I can find out.” Margaret promised, though she didn’t know whether she would actually be able to find anything out.

Agnes smiled and thanked her, then said. “I received a letter from our lady Mother earlier this week.”

“Oh?” Margaret replied, she could suspect what their mother would be writing to Agnes about.

“Yes, she wanted to know why you are not replying to any of her letters. She claims to have sent a few dozen.” Agnes said.

Margaret snorted. Of course, Mother would try and play the victim. Now that Margaret sat as wife of the heir to the throne, she wanted all sorts of things. Margaret had stopped paying attention after the letter from Calais. “Because she is a traitor to the Crown.” Was how Margaret answered.

“Because she’s refused to swear allegiance to the King?” Agnes asked.

“Yes.” Margaret said.

“That’s hardly her fault, Margaret. You know she does whatever Welles tells her to, and he’s stayed loyal to the Lancastrians.” Agnes said.

“Well she should have known that eventually she would have to choose.” Margaret said simply.

“And you think it is easy for her to choose?” Agnes asked.

“It was for you and for everyone else in our family.” Margaret said, referring to their siblings who were either fighting for the King or helping the war effort.

“Mother has never been the one to make tough decisions, Margaret.” Agnes said.

“Then she should not be surprised.” Margaret replied. “I am loyal to my husband and the King.”

“So, you will shut her out?” Agnes asked.

“If needs be yes.” Margaret said. “I will not have my loyalty or the loyalty of my children called into question.” She put a protective hand on her belly at that.

Agnes sighed. “You are right of course. I know you are. But still, it hurts that it has come to this.”

Margaret took her sister’s hand. “I know, but there is nothing more that can be done. Mother has made her choice and I have made mine.”

There was a brief silence and then Agnes said. “Very well, I shall not bring this up again.”

Margaret smiled tentatively at her sister and said. “Thank you.” Some part of her did hope that at some point she could reconcile with her mother, but she doubted that it would happen any time soon and that saddened her.

Margaret's half-siblings have all sided with the House of York?

Might provide Edmund with some interesting connections- a couple reliable brothers-in-law could be very useful.

Margaret knows what she wants and how to get it. Of course, being a mother, helps, I think. Protect the children and all that.
And I'm glad she was married at a sensible age, meaning she wasn't harmed by giving birth at a young age and can have more than one child

And I'm glad she was married at a sensible age, meaning she wasn't harmed by giving birth at a young age and can have more than one child
Actually I have read that one reason she never had children after Henry VII, may have been that she was traumatised by the experience and so chose to never conceive again. Granted is only a theory but it does seem possible.

Actually I have read that one reason she never had children after Henry VII, may have been that she was traumatised by the experience and so chose to never conceive again. Granted is only a theory but it does seem possible.
Considering that Birth Control was probably very hit or miss back then, I'd be inclined to think the lack of children after Henry VII was more due to damage. She *WAS* very young when she had Henry...

Considering that Birth Control was probably very hit or miss back then, I'd be inclined to think the lack of children after Henry VII was more due to damage. She *WAS* very young when she had Henry...
Yes, but I don’t mean she used birth control, I mean she never put herself in a situation where she would need to use birth control. I know the whole damage is more likely, but the trauma theory is a possibility.

VVD0D95

Banned
Yes, but I don’t mean she used birth control, I mean she never put herself in a situation where she would need to use birth control. I know the whole damage is more likely, but the trauma theory is a possibility.
Trauma and having a kid at fourteen