A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Bruh you know York rules when even a Lancastrian admits York's side has the best generals.
Except that’s literally not what I said. I said we kill the Yorks (male line, so Edmund, Edward, three Richard’s and George) and we kill England’s best generals. In other words I called the York’s great generals, not that they had the best generals.

Except that’s literally not what I said. I said we kill the Yorks (male line, so Edmund, Edward, three Richard’s and George) and we kill England’s best generals. In other words I called the York’s great generals, not that they had the best generals.
Okay so guide me through this. You're saying the Yorks (Edmund, Edward, Richards, George) are England's best generals. And they're all on York's side, which is what I said: "York's side has the best generals". So...we're saying the same thing, or no?

Okay so guide me through this. You're saying the Yorks (Edmund, Edward, Richards, George) are England's best generals. And they're all on York's side, which is what I said: "York's side has the best generals". So...we're saying the same thing, or no?
Well when you put it like that... poor wording on my part then!

so kill a baby, ok...

Chapter 140: Letters

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 140: Letters

July, 1461

“A letter has come for you, Your Royal Highness.” His squire said.

Edward stuck his hand out and took the letter from the boy. He saw that it contained his brother Edmund’s seal and wondered at that. He broke the seal and opened the paper and began to read.

Dearest brother,

I write to you from some hovel in Wales.

We found the Lancastrians and fought a battle with them. We defeated them and then on the King’s orders we gave chase.

We followed them to a forest in the middle of nowhere, somewhere between Ludlow and Caernarvon when we lost their trail.

We soon found out why.

Edward heard the door open and saw his cousin Ralph enter. He nodded to him and then went back to reading the letter.

We had been led into a trap.

The Lancastrian army of De Vere and Dorset was a decoy meant to lure us into it, and we fell for it.

The Welsh army led by some bugger, probably Tudor, came and attacked us with archers and with infantry.

We were trapped between them and the trees. We managed to break through, but at great cost.

Our cousin Thomas who was wounded during the fighting against Dorset’s men has died.

Edward muttered a silent prayer for the cousin he had barely known. His aunt Isabel would be heartbroken.

He looked back at the letter and saw that there was more.

But that was not all.

The King was badly wounded during the fighting, he was unhorsed, but I managed to drag him out of the woods and toward freedom.

We got to the hovel, when the King succumbed to his wounds.

Edward had to read that bit again. His father had died. His father, the King was dead, and he hadn’t been there to protect him.

He felt something wet build up on his eyes and tried to force it away, he blinked and read the final part of the letter.

It breaks my heart to write this. But it is the truth.

Please convey these words to the Queen and to our sisters and brothers.

I am your humble servant, Your Majesty.

God Save the King!

Edward blinked back the tears, he put the letter to one side, then looked at Ralph. “Send word to London.”

“Sir?” Ralph asked, his eyebrow raised.

“The King is dead.” Edward said, swallowing a lump in his throat.

There was a moment where Ralph’s eyes widened to reflect the shock that Edward himself felt. How could the King be dead? He had thought the man was invincible. But he was dead, Edmund had written to say so and Edmund never lied.

The hesitation disappeared and Ralph’s voice was firm when he replied. “Of course, Your Majesty. Do you want me to inform the household?”

Edward shook his head. “No, I will do that.”

Ralph stood up, bowed and then said. “Your Majesty.” Edward nodded to him and the man turned and walked away.

Edward looked back at the letter. His father was dead and he was the King. He held Cornwall now, but he didn’t have Margaret of Anjou or her brat. They’d managed to escape with Somerset’s children, though Somerset himself was a prisoner now.

Perhaps he should go and pay that traitor a visit. That might help him address the turmoil he felt.

He stood up then. Yes, he would go and visit Somerset.

“God Save the King.” He murmured to himself, and snorted. God save him indeed.