A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Henry nodded and then said. “I am glad you are here, Edmund. You have been loyal when others were turning against me.” It was true, his cousin had always stood by his side, even when that oaf Tudor had slept with Henry’s mother.​
This got a laugh out of me, given the rumours about Edmund and Catherine de Valois.

Chapter 53: Ireland

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 53: Ireland

July, 1456

Dublin was hot, blisteringly hot. The place stank as well; Richard would need to order a proper sewage system brought in to ensure that people didn’t die from the stench. Still, it was better than being in London. At least here he understood the people and the game. There was no need for second words and second faces, all that was needed was for blunt understanding, an iron fist as it were, for the Irish only respected strength. And Richard had that, he had that in droves.

He looked at the man sat opposite him, a man with fiery red hair, and pale green eyes. Thomas FitzGerald, Earl of Kildare, and one of Richard’s loyal adherents in this place. FitzGerald had tried to assist him the first time he’d been in Ireland, but the actions of Ormond had prevented that from happening. Now Ormond had retired to his estates, and FitzGerald and his cousin Desmond were here, in Dublin. Richard had high hopes.

“Thank you for being here, Thomas.” Richard said, the man smiled.

“It is not a problem at all Your Highness.” Thomas said.

“I know that there are a great many things that need to be done and I believe you and your cousin Desmond may be of great assistance to me.” Richard said.

“We shall be honoured to help in any way we can, Your Highness.” Thomas said.

Richard smiled. “Good. The main issue as we see it is that the Earl of Ormond’s influence is far too prevalent in the West, his alliance with the O’Briens and the Burkes is a direct threat to the power of the Crown.” Indeed, the reports that Richard had read suggested that the O’Briens were directly colluding with Ormond to ensure nothing proper could get done in Parliament.

“There is a solution to that, Your Highness.” Kildare said.

“And that is?” Richard asked.

“Working with the King of Leinster.” Kildare said.

“You want the English Crown to work with that man?” Richard asked. Leinster was a friend of Scotland, and a man who had viciously defended his prerogatives the last time Richard had been here. Richard didn’t trust the man whatsoever.

“I think that is the only way to counter Ormond’s influence. After all Leinster did greet Your Highness when you arrived here.” Kildare said.

Richard snorted, Leinster hadn’t so much as greeted him as gripped him in a bear grip and whispered a threat in his ear. The man was cantankerous and a brute. “And why would he help us counter Ormond’s influence?”

“Because he hates the man.” Kildare said.

“And why does he hate him?” Richard asked, wondering why that hadn’t been in the report.

“Because Ormond supposedly stole Leinster’s daughter, a while ago and now keeps her as his mistress.” Kildare answered.

“And that is cause to hate him?” Richard asked, these Irish Kings confused him.

“Because the girl was meant to marry someone else, someone within Leinster’s clan and Ormond’s abduction of her humiliated not only the girl, but the entire clan.” Kildare explained.

Richard sighed, he understood what the whole problem was now. Pride. That sin that would get them all killed eventually. “And how do you suggest we get Leinster on our side? Give him the chance to kill Ormond?” That would not go down well in London.

“Yes.” Kildare said.

Richard frowned. He would not be able to countenance such a thing, mostly because allowing one of the native Kings to kill an Earl would bring all sorts of madness that he’d not be able to handle. Somerset would have a field day. “Is there no other way?”

“Unfortunately not, Sire.” Kildare replied. “The King of Leinster wants revenge and nothing else. His family are all of the same mind set. This is the only thing that will assuage them.”

Richard closed his eyes and exhaled. “You know what that will bring.” Richard said.

“I do.” Kildare replied.

“And are you willing to bear the consequences?” Richard asked.

“Yes, Your Highness, I will.” Kildare said, how sincere he was being, Richard didn’t know, but he guessed he’d have to take the chance. Ormond’s power was plentiful, anything less than his complete destruction threatened the established order, and threatened the very thing that the King had sent Richard here to achieve.

Richard took a breath and then said. “Very well, send a letter to Leinster, tell him that I wish to meet with him to discuss matters of a very sensitive nature, and tell him that I trust him to be discreet.” That usually worked with these Irish Kings, play to their sense of their own self-importance and they usually came running.

“I shall, Your Highness.” Kildare said.

“And find out everything you can about the girl.” Richard said.

“Highness?” Kildare asked frowning.

“If we are to get Leinster to do what we want him to do, I need to know just how badly Ormond has been treating the girl.”

“Of course, Your Highness.” Kildare said.

Richard nodded and then said. “You may go.”

Kildare got up, bowed, then left the room, leaving Richard alone with his thoughts. He wasn’t sure if he completely liked what he was going to have to do. Using a man’s daughter to deal with an enemy, an enemy who had friends in London, didn’t sit right with him. But if it lessened Ormond’s grip then so be it. Sacrifices, that was what everyone had to make at the end of the day.

He sighed, this was another mess that had been allowed to fester by King Henry, a man who should’ve been put in the church and not allowed to reign. Richard knew he should censure himself for such thoughts but he was increasingly finding that he didn’t much care about it. The King was weak, thinking as such was not a bad thing. It was how one dealt with that information that was the key. And right now, Richard was struggling to figure that out himself.

This can't be good, Richard starting to resent the King while Somerset whispers into Henry's ear... Hopefully Henry can get out of Edmund's thumb and rule on his own, or, at the very least, let more capable people rule..

VVD0D95

Banned
This can't be good, Richard starting to resent the King while Somerset whispers into Henry's ear... Hopefully Henry can get out of Edmund's thumb and rule on his own, or, at the very least, let more capable people rule..

They're all in for a fun ride, that's for sure ;)

Chapter 54: Wales

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 54: Wales

July, 1456

Wales was different to how he had imagined it to be. Richard had always thought that the place was backwards, filled with people who were a bit too keen on their sheep, and had webbed toes. Instead, what he’d found were decent people, who worked hard and played harder. Who knew how to have fun. He had to admit, he liked it, he liked it a lot. The fact that the people of Northern Wales seemed to like him as well was an added bonus, and given the letters he’d gotten from Dorset, it seemed that fact was grating on the other man’s nerves. That was a bonus as well.

Of course, the whole thing wouldn’t work unless he had people in the territory who were friendly with him and who were willing to work with him. That was why he’d befriended two of them. Sir William Wynn, a member of the higher gentry who was based in Chirk, as well as John Gower. Warwick liked Gower, the man was brash and spoke his mind, and he was quite clear as to what he made of Dorset, which had made Warwick laugh.

The two men were in Warwick’s study right now of course, and as he cleared his mind of other thoughts, Richard smiled at them and said. “Thank you both for coming. I know it is a humid day outside, and I promise to keep this conversation short.” A pause, he took a sip of wine and then continued. “I have been given a task by the King, to ensure that Wales sticks closely to Westminster, and I believe you two gentlemen are the best bet I have of achieving that. Therefore, I wish to hear your thoughts on how things have gone so far and where they could improve.”

There was a brief pause and then Gower spoke. “Things are going well, my lord. The people of Chirk are compliant, as are the people of Edeirnion, they realise the value of the proposed tax increases that you have suggested and are therefore willing to work a little harder. However, the issue comes to Owestry. There things seem to have dropped.”

“Yes, I did not expect that.” Richard admitted, he had been led to believe that the people of Owestry were compliant, therefore their resistance to what had been proposed was surprising.

“I think that perhaps a new approach there needs to be adopted.” Gower said.

“What approach would you suggest?” Richard a current approach was one he had developed and one he favoured. It was efficient.

“Perhaps less of an intimidation and more of a discussion, my lord.” Gower replied. “The people of Owestry are loyal, but they do not reply well to threats.”

“I have issued no threats.” Richard countered, not openly anyway.

“That maybe, my lord, but the wording of the declarations could be construed in many ways.” Gower said. “Perhaps a more frank and open discussion would be better?”

“A discussion?” Richard asked. “You want me to discuss a Royal command with them?”

“Discuss It in a manner that makes them thing they are being given a say, yes.” Gower said.

“And you don’t think this will prompt the people of Chirk or Edeirnion to demand the same?” Richard asked, after all, what one was given, two others wanted, that was what his mother had always told him.

“I do not think so, my lord.” Gower said. “The people of Chirk and Edeirnion know what they are about, the people of Owestry, well, they need a little convincing sometimes.”

“Very well.” Richard said. “You will draft up the terms of discussion and present them to me before the day is out.”

“My lord.” Gower said.

Richard turned to Wynn, who had been strangely quiet throughout all of this, and asked him. “And what of you, Wynn? What do you think?”

Wynn took his time to respond, his eyes flitting between Richard and Gower, his hands tapping at the desk. Eventually, when he did speak his voice was even. “I think that Lord Gower is right, my lord. Owestry needs to be led gently to agreeing into the changes that His Grace the King wants. It is loyal but it is also stubborn. The other areas are known to follow strength, Owestry needs the silk glove as it were.”

“And is there anything else that you believe needs to be changed?” Richard asked, wondering if Wynn and Gower had joined forces to say that.

Wynn shook his head. “No, my lord. As far as I can see things are going well, although…”

“Although?” Richard asked raising an eyebrow.

Wynn sighed. “I do not know whether it is appropriate to raise the concern.”

“Do so.” Richard commanded wondering what it could be that the man was going to raise.

“I have heard that there are some in Owestry who have taken money from Lord Dorset. That they plan on removing you from the board, my lord.” Wynn said.

“On Dorset’s orders?” Richard asked, he wasn’t surprised, their fathers hated one another.

“I believe so, my lord.” Wynn replied. “Though I must hasten to add that it is only a rumour that I have heard and therefore I do not know whether it can be taken completely seriously.”

Richard snorted. “You would not have thought it prudent to raise it if you did not take it seriously.”

Wynn bowed his head in recognition of this, and so Richard asked. “Are there any notables who will have taken Dorset’s request to heart?” If he could find them and get them to talk he could remove Dorset from the board himself.

Wynn shook his head. “Not that I have been able to find, my lord. And I do not think such people would emerge even if they were there.”

“So, we are going to have to take a chance.” Richard said.

“My lord?” Wynn asked.

Richard looked at Wynn and then at Gower. “If this attack is going to take place, we’re going to have to make it seem as though I know nothing of it. That means going on as normal and hoping whoever it is who is meant to attack slips up.” it was a risk, but it was one he had to take.

Chapter 55: A Mother's Rage

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 55: A Mother’s Rage

August, 1456

Pain. That was the only emotion she felt now. Pain at the loss of another child, pain at never getting know the child’s likes and dislikes, pain at knowing there was something wrong with her, pain that her husband wouldn’t talk to her in his grief, and pain that their son didn’t know why his parents weren’t speaking to one another. Margaret had just about managed to force herself out of bed on most mornings and today was no different.

Walking through the courtyard of Westminster Palace, with Edmund accompanying her, her ladies trailing behind and the guards around them, Margaret felt slightly at peace, but not completely. Henry wasn’t speaking to her, and the longer that went on, the more her heart broke. She took a breath and then asked Edmund. “Did I do something wrong?”

“Your Grace?” Edmund replied sounding confused.

“Did I do something wrong?” Margaret asked again. “The King has not spoken to me in months.”

Margaret looked at Edmund and saw his face contort as if he was trying to decide whether to lie or not, eventually he sighed. “Your Grace did nothing wrong, His Grace the King is grieving.”

“Then why does he not grieve with me?” Margaret demanded, aware that she sounded ever so slightly like a child but wanting an answer. Her heart was aching and she wanted her husband, why could he not see that?

“I…” Edmund replied sounding hesitant.

“Does he find my repulsive? Does he hate me for not being able to carry a child to term?” Margaret asked, in her darker moments she had found herself questioning whether she’d ever be able to have another child.

Edmund stopped walking then, prompting Margaret to stop as well. The man turned to face her, his eyes wide. “Your Grace, His Grace does not find you repulsive, and he does not hate you.”

“How do you know?” Margaret demanded.

Edmund swallowed and then said. “I spoke with His Grace.”

“You did?” Margaret asked surprised, she had not thought that Edmund would speak about something quite so private.

“I did.” Edmund nodded. “His Grace told me that he is simply doing what he has to, to keep things safe between the two of you.”

“Safe?” Margaret asked. “What does that mean?”

Edmund sighed again. “His Grace is of the view that it is better for the two of you to have some distance so that you may recover from the trauma of what happened.”

Margaret laughed, that sounded so much like Henry. “He thinks the best way for me to recover from losing our child is for him to distance himself from me?”

“Yes, Your Grace.” Edmund replied, clearly uncomfortable.

Margaret said nothing. Her husband was being a complete idiot. No doubt he thought that he was being kind, but she didn’t want to be away from him, she wanted to be near him, and if he wasn’t going to give her that option, she would force it on him. “Where is he now?” She asked.

“The King?” Edmund asked.

“Yes, the King!” Margaret replied.

“In his study, Your Grace.” Edmund said.

“Very well, thank you, you are dismissed.” Margaret said turning around and walking back toward the Palace proper. If Henry was going to be a fool she wasn’t going to make it easy for him. She walked quickly, nodding to the guards at the entrance and then turning the corner, before turning left then right and then walking up a flight of stairs. She could hear her ladies tittering behind her, no doubt wondering where she was going and what she was going to do.

Margaret stopped when she came to the door that led to her husband’s study. Two guards were stood before it, both of them looked at her nervously. “Let me in.” Margaret demanded.

“I am sorry, Your Grace, but His Grace said not to let anyone disturb him.” one of the guards replied.

“I am his wife and your Queen, you will let me in.” Margaret commanded.

“Your Grace…” the guard replied hesitantly, before he could finish that, the door opened and Margaret found herself looking at her husband.

“Let the Queen in.” Henry commanded, the guards moved to do as they were bid, moving to the side and allowing Margaret to pass.

Margaret barged into the room and saw that her husband’s desk was covered with papers, some of them were torn, others were written on, but most of them appeared empty. She wheeled around when the door closed. Henry stood there looking at her expectantly. “What are you doing?!” She demanded.

“Giving you space.” Henry said at once.

“Space?!” Margaret replied. “I don’t need space, I need you.”

“What good am I going to be?” Henry asked. “I cannot give you protection, I cannot give you a living child.”

“Henry, you are my husband!” Margaret all but yelled. “We are supposed to go through this together, not independently!”

Henry looked at her and tears started falling down his face. “I don’t know what I have done wrong to curse you like this.”

Margaret was surprised both by the tears and by his words. “Henry, you haven’t done anything wrong.” She was the one who was at fault, or perhaps God was just being cruel.

“No, I was the one who allowed York’s doctor to be there for when you gave birth.” Henry said.

“What does that have to do with anything?” Margaret asked. She didn’t like York, but his doctor had been good.

“York removed his doctor after the doctor contributed to a stillborn girl.” Henry said.

Margaret felt as if she’d been punched in the gut. Was it possible? Could the Doctor have done something. “I…. I…”

“I am sorry.” Henry replied. He slumped down to the ground then and whispered. “I have failed you.”

Shock and pain mixed together for Margaret, she didn’t know what to do about the news Henry had just given her, but she did know that she needed to be with Henry then, so she moved to him and knelt, wrapping her arms around him. She kissed him and whispered. “I love you, Henry, I love you.” She didn’t know if it would help, but it was the only thing she could think of.

Margaret is hardly the type to forgive, but maybe in her concern for her husband and marriage she'll forget the fact that the doctor had served York.. Fantastic chapter!

VVD0D95

Banned
Margaret is hardly the type to forgive, but maybe in her concern for her husband and marriage she'll forget the fact that the doctor had served York.. Fantastic chapter!

Glad you liked it, and oh agreed, Margaret's going to be going through an interesting time now.