A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Chapter 38: Scotland

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 38: Scotland

August, 1455

James, second of that name, King of Scots, looked at the man who was stood before him. Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury, Lord Chancellor to King Henry of England, he was an old man, his hair was greying, or appeared to be greying, he stood with a straight back, and in a confident manner. No doubt, the man thought him a mere child, and expected an easy ride. Given the way the man had been funding Douglas’ resistance in the borders, James could have had him seized the moment he entered Scotland. But he had decided against that. Despite what some of his courtiers thought, he didn’t want a war with England. Not yet anyway.

“Lord Salisbury.” James said. “Welcome to Scotland, we trust your journey here has been a comfortable one?”

Salisbury bowed his head. “Thank you for welcoming me, Sire. It has been an interesting journey.”

“Good.” James said. He knew that normal protocol dictated that they go around in circles before getting to the heart of the issue, but he was impatient to get this over and done with, therefore he continued. “Tell the court why you have come all this way, Lord Salisbury.”

If Salisbury was surprised by this break in etiquette, it didn’t show on his face. Instead he calmly replied. “I have been sent by His Grace King Henry to enquire about the purpose of the number of men that have been amassed on the border, by Your Grace.”

Playing coy, James asked. “Men? What men?”

“The men that were massed between Berwick and Annandale, Sire.” Salisbury replied.

“Did you happen to see these men as you ventured north?” James asked.

“No, Sire, but…” Salisbury said.

“Then how can you know that there are men massing on the border?” James interrupted.

“His Grace has received reports from Lord Ponyings and Lord Egremont saying that there were men massing on the border.” Salisbury said.

“And both are men who oppose you, are they not, Lord Salisbury?” James asked, he glanced at his Lord Chancellor, the Earl of Orkney, who nodded, that bit of information was correct then.

Salisbury shifted, but his facial expression didn’t change. “That has no bearing on the reason for why I am here, Sire. His Grace is concerned, and wished to receive confirmation from you that there is no intention for ill will, Sire.”

James took a breath. He wanted to retake Roxburgh, but he also knew that doing so now, when England was not yet divided would be foolish. He knew what he had to say, even if he disliked doing so. “Of course there is no desire for ill will, Lord Salisbury. There are no men massing on the border, and any men that have been seen have been tasked with controlling Douglas land.”

Salisbury nodded. “Of course, Sire.”

“You understand what it is like, there are discontented noblemen in the realm and they must be dealt with.” James said, seeing how Salisbury would react to that, given the whispers that they’d heard.

“Of course, Sire. I understand. His Grace will be happy to know that there is no cause for concern.” Salisbury said.

James nodded, glanced at Orkney again and then looked back at Salisbury. “There was one thing I wished to discuss with you though, Lord Salisbury.”

“Sire?” Salisbury asked.

“Our two Kingdoms have a long history of working together, and sorting out tiny issues through negotiation and compromise. Given the current situation, I wished to broach the topic of marriage.” James said.

“Marriage, Sire?” Salisbury asked.

“Yes, a way to show our commitment to one another.” James said, noticing how for the first time, Salisbury’s face was shifting. He looked mightily uncomfortable, though his tone was measured when he replied.

“What did Your Grace have in mind?”

“A marriage between my daughter Mary and the Prince of Wales.” James said. He was aware that the last time a Scottish Princess had wed an English Prince had been during the reign of Henry I, and even then, that had been done because that old blaggard had wanted the Saxon blood that ran through his wife’s veins. But given the situation England found herself in, he highly doubted that Henry could refuse.

Salisbury’s eyes widened, his tone was somewhat short when he replied. “I…. I will need to write to His Grace to enquire as to his view on the matter, Sire.”

“Of course.” James said. “Take your time. In the meanwhile, have a rest and then join us for dinner.”

Salisbury’s eyes widened again. Clearly he had not expected to be dismissed so soon. “Sire.” The man said, bowing low, before rising, turning and leaving.

Once Salisbury was gone, James looked at Orkney and asked. “What do you think he will do?”

William Sinclair, Earl of Orkney and Lord Chancellor took a moment to respond, the man looked as though he were carefully considering every syllable he uttered, which given his record was not a bad thing to do. Eventually, he replied. “I think he will send off a carefully worded letter to the King or to the Duke of York. Then the Duke of York will either reject the proposal out of hand or reply with several conditions attached on.”

“You don’t think Henry himself will reply?” James asked surprised.

“No, I don’t think York will let him. Everything coming out of London suggests that it is York, not King Henry who is in charge of things.” Orkney replied.

“That is not good at all.” James said.

“Indeed not, Sire. But it is the way of things in England now.” Orkney replied.

James nodded, he knew that the Douglases had tried to make him into a puppet and were he not still trying to hunt down Douglas, he’d offer to assist his fellow monarch in removing the shackles around him. But, Douglas remained the priority for now. He’d just have to hope England remained stable long enough for his daughter to become its Queen.

Looks to me who James is projecting too much Scottish situation over the English one...
York is/was in charge only because someone need to be in charge when the King is unable to do it.

VVD0D95

Banned
Looks to me who James is projecting too much Scottish situation over the English one...
York is/was in charge only because someone need to be in charge when the King is unable to do it.

Indeed, and yet York is also someone who has the ability to reduce the King into a puppet if he wants to.

VVD0D95

Banned
Sounds rather idiotic for James to think, if anything, he should be privately encouraging/funding York against Henry, and take Roxburgh and Berwick in the process cuz divide and conquer.

Hardly, if he's seen as encouraging a noble to make a puppet of his monarch, what ideas will that give his subjects?

Hardly, if he's seen as encouraging a noble to make a puppet of his monarch, what ideas will that give his subjects?
The same Edward IV gave to his when he was supporting Albany against James III.

And who's to say his vassals will know he's doing so?😉

VVD0D95

Banned

If it comes out it will look bad, and monarchs aren't always in the habit of supporting the enemy of their fellow monarchs, if like James II you reign over a Kingdom where most nobles are treacherous cunts.

If it comes out it will look bad, and monarchs aren't always in the habit of supporting the enemy of their fellow monarchs, if like James II you reign over a Kingdom where most nobles are treacherous cunts.
True enough, but then again, James does have his ambitions against England and the best way to fulfill said ambitions would be to divide the nobility.

Indeed, and yet York is also someone who has the ability to reduce the King into a puppet if he wants to.
Yes, if he wants to (but at least for now he do not want it)... and for doing that would need first to eliminate both Somerset and Queen Marguerite so...

True. A strong English King can get away with that, but not a Scottish one (plus James had a Beaufort mother so...)

VVD0D95

Banned
True enough, but then again, James does have his ambitions against England and the best way to fulfill said ambitions would be to divide the nobility.

Perhaps, though why prod them into it when they're going there themselves?
Yes, if he wants to (but at least for now he do not want it)... and for doing that would need first to eliminate both Somerset and Queen Marguerite so...

True. A strong English King can get away with that, but not a Scottish one (plus James had a Beaufort mother so...)

I'd say a strong Scottish King could get away with it, but whether it's wise to undermine a fellow monarch is another question.
YES YES pls let Edward marry her in the future and prolong Lancastrian line.
;)

James I had a Beaufort wife and he renewed the auld alliance, and James himself has his ambitions.
YES YES pls let Edward marry her in the future and prolong Lancastrian line.
You'll have to wait till 1465 atleast bruddah.
Perhaps, though why prod them into it when they're going there themselves
They ain't going anti-Henry as of yet and IIRC James II wasn't omnipotent.

VVD0D95

Banned
James I had a Beaufort wife and he renewed the auld alliance, and James himself has his ambitions.

You'll have to wait till 1465 atleast bruddah.

They ain't going anti-Henry as of yet and IIRC James II wasn't omnipotent.

Oh I don't know the last few chapters would indicate the seeds are there.