A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Chapter 15: Fight Or Die

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 15: Fight Or Die

April, 1454

The doors opened and York strode in confidently. Lord Westmoreland had always told him to walk into a building or a room with confidence. He was a descendant of Edward III in the male line, a Prince of the Blood, the people he met owed their position to his family. Of course, having confidence when speaking to mere nobles was one thing, having it when walking into a room to speak with the King was another matter entirely.

The King was sat reading through a piece of paper, he put the paper down when he heard Richard’s footsteps, the man smiled at him, Richard inclined his head then noted that the Queen was sat next to the King. She was staring at him intently, and Richard felt something settle in his stomach. With the Queen here, Richard wasn’t sure if their discussion would go well. Richard stopped before the two of them and bowed. “Your Graces.” He said.

“Ah, Richard, please have a seat.” The King said. Richard did as he was bid, noting the red cushion that was on his chair. He sat down and shifted slightly to get comfortable. As he did that, the King spoke. “Margaret is going to remain with us for this discussion.” The King made it sound like a request but Richard knew it was a demand, so he merely nodded.

“Thank you for agreeing to meet with me, Your Grace.” Richard said.

“Not at all.” The King replied. “You are a member of the Royal Council after all, it would be foolish of me not to hear what you had to say.”

Richard nodded, the appointment of himself and Salisbury to the King’s council had only happened at the end of last month. It seemed that Somerset’s agreeing to take the Lordship of Glamorgan had allowed the King to room he needed to invite members of the Country party into government. Richard wasn’t going to complain; it had gotten him a seat at the table after all. “Thank you, Your Grace. The issue I wished to discuss with you, is France, or more specifically, what are Your Grace’s plans for France.”

“What about France?” The King asked.

Richard saw that the Queen was looking at him with her eyes narrowed, he ignored her and focused on the King. “Well, mainly if Your Grace intends to renew the war with France. Gascony may have fallen, but we still have some support within the region.” He knew this due to the letters he had received from nobles who were opposed to the new regime that Charles of France had imposed on them. Their letters were filled with pleas asking him to return, he was sure the King got similar letters.

“Not enough to make the war sustainable.” The King replied. “We both know that the moment we get there any nobles who might be wanting us back now, will side with Charles. We are nothing more than a tool for to bait him with, and I will not allow English soldiers to be used as bait.”

Richard could understand the King’s point, but he had one of his own. “So, are we to just accept that years of fighting, 116 years of fighting to be exact, has been for nothing. That Lords Richmond and Pembroke died for nothing?”

The King’s face fell at the mention of his brothers, and Richard hoped it would have the desired effect, but instead the King said. “I will not dishonour my brothers’ memories by sending more men to die there.”

Richard took a breath, he didn’t want to snap at the King, he knew that doing so would leave the King ill-disposed toward him. Instead he calmly replied. “Surely it would be to honour their memories and their sacrifice that Your Grace would keep the fighting going. The Gascon nobles might be using us as bait, or they might genuinely want us to return, Sire. Gascony has been in English hands since the time of King Henry Fitzempress, I do not think that they would forget the allegiance they owe to Your Grace so quickly.”

“They forgot that allegiance when the Black Prince started taxing them after Bretigny, they did when Richard II sent our ancestor the Duke of Lancaster to reside there. And they did when Charles of France started offering to lower their taxes. They are a fickle people, and they are not worth shedding English blood over.” The King replied.

“So, the war has ended then?” Richard asked, he tried to keep the disappointment from his tone, but he knew he had failed.

“The war has ended.” The King said. “You need not sound so glum, Lord York. I would have thought you would be happy about such a decision, given how much it cost you personally.”

Richard shifted slightly, the King was right on that front, he had lost several close friends (servants really) during his years in Normandy fighting the French, and had lost a good friend during Somerset’s campaign in Gascony all those years ago. Plus, he had paid most of his men out of his own income rather than from the Crown and had nearly gone into debt because of it. But still, the point remained. “To ensure the liberty of Your Grace’s claim to the French throne, any sacrifice is worth it.”

“Even that of your own sons’?” The King asked.

“Sire?” Richard asked unsure of what the King was getting at.

“Would you sacrifice your own sons if it meant getting me on the throne of France?” The King asked.

Richard paused, he loved his sons fiercely, and he didn’t want them to die, but his principles dictated he answer truthfully. “If that is what it cost, then I would gladly allow them to sacrifice themselves for Your Grace.”

“Then that is all the more reason to not get involved again.” The King said. “No more innocent young Englishmen will die in France.”

“So, what will Your Grace do?” Richard asked.

“I will rebuild England; I will stabilise our financial situation and then I will consolidate in Ireland.” The King answered.

“Ireland?” Richard asked surprised.

“Yes, Ireland must be brought under our control. I have plans for how to make that happen.” The King said. Richard wanted to ask the King what these plans were, and how they differed to France, but before he could the King continued. “Charles of France has sent a missive requesting peace talks.”

Richard raised an eyebrow at that. “He has everything he could want, why does he want to talk about it. Unless it is to further humiliate you, Your Grace.” He didn’t trust that French Prince who dared call himself a King.

“He wishes to get an agreement about the end of the war. In return for my recognising his conquests, he will leave Calais be and we shall keep it in perpetuity.” The King said.

That seemed oddly benevolent of the French King, which made Richard think he wanted something more, or would want something more. Still, for the time being it would suffice. “And are you going to agree to it, Your Grace?”

The King placed a hand on the table, and Richard noticed that the hand was shaking as the King replied. “I am and I want you to be my representative at these talks.”

Slightly taken aback, Richard didn’t say anything for a moment, but then he said. “I would be honoured, Sire.”

Interesting so will Henry Vi recover from his illness or is this the calm before the storm. I was also wondering is your Henry Vi an self insert but we'll disguise or will we have to wait and see. Wish you luck stay safe.

I'm getting "twice the pride, double the fall" vibes from Henry.......the "pride" in this case being replaced by "competitiveness "

York had both catlstellan of Calais of and lord lieutenant of Ireland in otl wasn't he?
Yes, but atm he has neither.

Oh, and he was captain of Calais, not castellan. The term "castellan" implies that he was supposed to be only the governor of Calais castle, which he was not.

Chapter 16: A Bit Of Blood

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 16: A Bit Of Blood

April, 1454

“So, I heard Lord Worcester talking to the Lord Chancellor yesterday.” Henry said smiling.

“Oh, what were they talking about?” Margaret asked, wondering if Henry was about to ruin their lunch with discussions of politics.

“They were talking about why Lord Warwick always has a long face.” Henry said.

“Oh?” Margaret replied, wondering where this was going.

“And they said it was because he spent so much time riding his horse that he’d become more horse than man.” Henry replied giggling.

Margaret laughed alongside her husband, she felt happy. Things between her and Henry were improving, he talked to her more, and was far more willing to let her touch him now than he had ever been. He was a devoted father and would often spend time playing with their son before he went off to council to work or attended sittings of Parliament. As she put a hand to her stomach, she knew he’d be delighted when she finally got around to telling him that she was with child. She’d missed the last two months of her bleed, and had spoken with the Doctor who had confirmed her suspicions. She just needed to find the right time to tell him.

“How long have you been waiting to tell me that joke?” She asked.

Henry grinned. “Since last night.”

“Well it is a good one.” Margaret conceded. “Warwick certainly does have a long face.”

“I think he needs to relax more, indeed, his whole family does.” Henry said.

“Why do you say so?” Margaret asked.

“They all seem so highly strung. It’s as if they’re expecting something terrible to happen at any moment.” Henry said.

“Did you know that before you named them to the council?” Margaret asked. She still wasn’t sure what she made of Henry naming the Earl of Salisbury and the Earl of Warwick to the Royal Council. He had said that he needed to show he was willing to go for reconciliation, but she worried it looked more like he was giving into their demands. Edmund had certainly thought so.

“No, Salisbury might be my cousin, but I’ve never really interacted with him on a regular basis until now.” Henry said, and the way he said that made Margaret think he didn’t quite like what he had found.

“And what do you make of him?” She asked to prompt him into speaking his true thoughts.

“Salisbury is capable, very capable, but he changes his mind too easily.” Henry replied. “For instance when we were discussing how to improve the network of roads throughout the Kingdom, he initially wanted two big roads to pass through his lands, to improve trade there, but when he learned that would deprive his son of trade he changed his mind.”

“A good father then?” Margaret proposed.

“He changed his mind three minutes before we were due to issue the statute.” Henry said. “William Turnball was not impressed.”

“I can imagine.” Margaret replied smiling slightly, Turnball was the Recorder of Statutes, whose job it was to write down everything that was discussed in Council and then take from there what was to be a Royal Declaration so that it could be sent to every parish in the Kingdom. Any last-minute changes never went down well with him.

“Then there’s Warwick.” Henry said. “The man is ambitious; I’ve already been approached by him asking to be named Lord Chancellor in place of Kemp.”

Margaret raised an eyebrow. “How much of the law does he know?”

“Enough to make his request credible.” Henry said.

“But….” Margaret prompted looking at Henry and wondering what it was her husband wasn’t telling her.

“But, I can’t have a Neville in that position. Not when I was going to give it to Edmund.” Henry replied.

“You’re going to replace Kemp?” Margaret asked surprised. Kemp was capable and competent, and whilst she would not object to having Somerset in such a prestigious role, replacing Kemp was something she’d not expected.

“Kemp has asked for permission to retire back to his Diocese. He is ill.” Henry said.

“Ah.” Margaret replied. “So, Somerset makes sense then.”

“Agreed.” Henry said.

Margaret was about to say something else when she felt something hot and wet trickle down her leg. She shifted slightly feeling slightly sick. She shifted again and then, put her hand down to feel her leg. She lifted her hand back and looked at it. It was sticky and red. She swallowed. “Margaret what is that on your hand?” Henry asked.

Margaret took a breath then replied. “Blood, Henry.”

She saw her husband’s eyes widen. “Guard!” A tall man appeared then. “Get the Doctor!” Henry ordered, the guard bowed and then disappeared. Her husband looked at her. “Are you well?”

Margaret went to reply, but felt something more pour down her leg. “I…. I…don’t know.” Henry got up then and walked over to her, he moved the chair so that she was facing him, her legs were pressing against him. He knelt and lifted her skirts and gasped.

“Margaret you’re really sticky. What happened?”

Margaret swallowed and then whispered. “I was with child.”

Henry’s eyes widened again. “You were?”

“Yes, I’d missed my time of the month for two months, I was waiting for the right time to tell you.” Margaret replied.

Her husband went to reply but then she watched as he fell over and started shaking. First his hands, then his legs, then his whole body.

“Henry?!” Margaret exclaimed. He didn’t reply. She saw his eyes roll into the back of his head as the shaking got worse. “Henry!” She screamed. The guards rushed in then, but there was nothing they could do. Her pain was forgotten as she watched her husband thrash around like a mad person, the guards managed to restrain him slightly, but he was still moving about.

The doctor appeared at that moment. “Your Grace?” He asked looking at her.

“See to the King!” She commanded. The doctor nodded and then gasped as he saw how bad Henry was.

“Put him on the bed.” He ordered the guards, they looked at her and she nodded, she stood up then and walked with them, her own pain forgotten.

Chapter 17: A New Dawn

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 17: A New Dawn

May, 1454

Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury walked into the Council Chamber accompanied by his son the Earl of Warwick and sat down at the end of the table. Archbishop Kemp was sat at the top, to the right of the throne where the King would normally sit, Somerset was to his left, whilst Buckingham sat opposite Somerset, Worcester sat to Buckingham’s right. Richard took the seat opposite the throne, whilst Warwick sat to Somerset’s left.

“What’s the meaning of this meeting?” Richard asked. “We weren’t supposed to meet for another two days.”

Archbishop Kemp who looked as though he’d run through Southwark, spoke. “There has been a situation with His Grace the King.”

“A situation?” Richard asked. “What sort of situation?”

“Dr Maddison will explain.” Kemp said, a door opened then and a medium sized man with blonde hair entered the room. “Dr Maddison.” Kemp said.

Maddison nodded and spoke. “His Grace the King suffered a shock late last month upon learning that Her Grace the Queen had suffered a miscarriage. Consequently, his body shut down and he is now unresponsive.”

“What do you mean unresponsive?” Richard demanded. He had heard of something similar happening to the King’s grandfather, King Charles the Mad years ago, but he had never heard or seen this happen to the King’s mother.

“He does not answer when someone speaks to him, he does not respond when something is dropped near him. He does not respond at all.” The Doctor replied.

Richard’s eyes widened, this was definitely like what had happened to the King’s grandfather. His son, Warwick spoke then. “So, the King cannot run government?”

Dr Maddison shook his head. “No, my lord, and it would not be advisable to rely on him to do so.”

“How long will he be like this?” Worcester asked.

Maddison looked at Worcester and sighed. “I do not know, my lord. It could be anywhere from a few days to a week to a month, to a year.”

“A year?!” Richard exclaimed.

“Yes, my lord.” Maddison said. “Nothing is quite known about the King’s illness, therefore we can only guess.”

“Thank you, Dr.” Kemp said waving a hand dismissing the man. The Doctor walked out and left them all there staring at one another.

“We must have a regency.” Buckingham said then. “We cannot allow the Kingdom to remain stuttering onward. Parliament will need to be informed.”

“A collective regency?” Worcester asked. “Like what happened whenever King Henry’s father was out of the Kingdom with his brothers?”

“That would be disastrous.” Richard’s son said. “Those types of regencies don’t work well.”

“So, what do you propose?” Somerset asked sounding quite annoyed.

“York must be Lord Protector.” Richard said.

“York?” Somerset asked. “He’s heading to France.”

“Then he must be asked back. The senior member of the Royal Family is usually named Lord Protector if the King experiences incapacitation, as the Prince of Wales is an infant, then the Duke of York as next in line to the throne must be declared Lord Protector.” Richard argued.

Somerset looked as though he wanted to argue that point but before he could, Buckingham spoke. “You are right of course, Lord Salisbury, but we must hold a vote to confirm the matter.”

“A vote?” Somerset asked, his voice dripping with disdain. “What are we? Athens?”

“Lord Buckingham is right, Edmund.” Kemp replied, Richard noted the man was frowning at Somerset. “The Statute of Edward I highlights how this procedure is supposed to go.”

“Fine.” Somerset replied curtly.

Kemp spoke then. “All those in favour of appointing His Highness Richard Duke of York as Lord Protector raise your hands.”

Richard noted how Kemp had used the styling of a Prince for York, as he raised his hand, he wondered what that meant, given York had lost the styling when the Prince of Wales had been born. He looked around the room and saw that his son Warwick had raised his hand, as had Buckingham and Worcester, Kemp remained neutral but Somerset had not raised his hand.

“The motion carries. His Highness the Duke of York is confirmed as Lord Protector.” Kemp said. “I shall write a letter to him today to advise him of the situation and advise him to return.”

Somerset pushed his chair back and stood up. “Is there anything else?”

“No.” Kemp replied.

“Good.” Somerset said curtly, the man walked out of the room then, leaving Richard and the others to stare after him.

Kemp sighed and pushed his chair back and walked out after Somerset, leaving Richard with his son, Buckingham and Worcester. “I had best get to ensuring the Treasury knows what to expect.” Worcester said then, getting up and walking away.

Buckingham spoke then. “You two must be careful.”

“My lord?” Richard asked.

“Somerset wants to be Lord Protector that is why he’s acting the way he is. And now that York is in charge, you two are going to get prominent positions in Council, that will irritate the situation even more.” Buckingham said.

“Somerset couldn’t become Lord Protector.” Warwick said.

“He could if one discounted Henry IV’s dubious decision about the Beauforts place in the succession.” Richard answered.

“Exactly.” Buckingham replied. “So, be careful.”

“We will.” Richard said.

“Good.” Buckingham replied, as he too got up, leaving Richard and his son alone.

His son looked at him then and asked. “What are we going to do?”

Richard smiled. “We’re going to do what we Nevilles are famous for. Adapt and survive.”

“And Somerset?” His son asked.

“We’re going to find a way to remove him before he tries to remove us.” Richard answered. “And we’re going to get you Glamorgan back.”

His son breathed a sigh of relief. “Good.”

Richard smiled and stood up. “Come, we’ve got a lot of planning to do.” He walked out of the room, accompanied by his son, his mind racing. York was now Lord Protector, and that meant he was more powerful than he’d ever been before. Hopefully that would keep the Kingdom from descending into anarchy. He just needed Somerset dealt with. Perhaps it was time to bring up some old rumours.

Earl of Northumberland Family Tree

VVD0D95

Banned
A little taste of something big to come.
Earl of Northumberland.jpg