A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

And thus the Treaty of Berwick was signed. Let's be peace for this trubled island. While the outcome of the war was not hat I whished for, now I hope Edmund will be a good king.

Deleted member 147978

“Secondly, I think perhaps it would be good if we agreed to a defensive alliance.” England said.

“Defensive?” James asked, wondering where this was going.

“Yes. I think we should both agree that we won’t attack the other should the other find themselves under attack.” England said.

From France, he means. James realised. That wouldn’t be a problem given that the Auld Alliance was due to expire within the next few days anyway. “In return for a marriage.” James said.
So James II would just leave the Auld Alliance in the dust in exchange of an defensive alliance with a marriage at hand?

I bet he won't make it out alive in Scotland, since I also bet the Scottish Nobility would be pissed with vinegar upon hearing his decision.

So James II would just leave the Auld Alliance in the dust in exchange of an defensive alliance with a marriage at hand?

I bet he won't make it out alive in Scotland, since I also bet the Scottish Nobility would be pissed with vinegar upon hearing his decision.
For what reason? He got his possession of Roxeburg recognized and the assurance who England will NOT made war on them

VVD0D95

Banned
Edmund being smart here, he really doesn't want any sort of war while the kingdom has just left one and they need to rebuild the country.
Indeed.

I don’t think so, the Scottish nobles were turning on the alliance at this point otl.

Chapter 187: Aunt

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 187: Aunt

March, 1466

Edmund was exhausted, he’d arrived back from Warwick Castle earlier today. He’d wanted a rest, to spend some time with his wife and their children-Margaret and the children had departed from Sheriff Hutton for London last year and he’d gone on to Berwick-but his aunt had insisted on meeting to discuss her granddaughter’s betrothal. Given how important his aunt’s husband was to his regime, and how intimidating his aunt could be, Edmund had decided to give them an audience.

For it was both of them who were in his study now. The Earl of Essex, wasting away from old age, and his wife, Edmund’s aunt Isabel of York, with her haughtiness, and her stiff manner. “Your Majesty, thank you for seeing us.” His aunt said, speaking with that odd twang that he always associated with Wales.

“Not to worry, how can I help you?” Edmund asked.

“We just wanted to confirm a few things.” The Countess said.

“About?” Edmund asked, playing the fool.

“Our granddaughter’s betrothal.” The Countess said.

Interesting that she’s now ‘our’ granddaughter, when before she was just your granddaughter. Edmund thought to himself. His aunt didn’t view her husband the Earl very highly, but given that he served on Edmund’s council, and that their eldest son was Groom of the Stole for Edmund, she seemed to have changed her mind.

“And what about the betrothal?” Edmund asked, though he knew exactly what.

“Is she truly going to be betrothed to the Duke of Albany, Sire?” The Countess asked in a manner that suggested she didn’t think highly of it.

“Yes.” Edmund replied simply. “As part of the peace between England and Scotland.”

The Countess and her husband exchanged looks with one another. Edmund found his patience was starting to wear thin. He was tired after all. Eventually, the woman spoke. “Is that wise, Sire?”

“It secures our northern border and brings beneficial trade to the Kingdom.” Edmund said.

“And our granddaughter is marrying a second son?” The Countess said, as if she couldn’t believe it.

“She is marrying the second in line to the Scottish throne.” Edmund said, his patience starting to go. He was tired and didn’t have the time for this nonsense.

“And the dowry?” The Countess asked. “Are we to pay for it ourselves?”

Yes. Edmund thought to himself, though he knew that would be the wrong answer to give, given he’d used their granddaughter as a bargaining tool, so he simply said. “We shall discuss that when the time comes.”

The Countess snorted. “And when will the time come? Our granddaughter is ten now, when will she be marrying Albany?”

Something about the way his aunt said Albany needled at Edmund, why or what he didn’t know, but he pushed it to one side and said. “When Albany is sixteen and when Isabel is fifteen.”

“So, in four years’ time.” The Countess said.

“Yes.” Edmund said.

There was a brief pause and then the Countess said. “Very well, that is acceptable.”

Edmund took a deep breath to stop himself from swearing. He’d speak with Margaret, and tell her to send some gift to the Countess, to shut her up. “Good.” He stood then, indicating that this whole meeting was over. “Now, if you excuse me, I must bathe.” He walked out of the room, leaving his aunt and her husband there alone, and took several deep breaths.

Chapter 188: Huntingdon

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 188: Huntingdon

May, 1466

William Hastings, Earl of Huntingdon was worried. The King had seemed incredibly tired yesterday when they’d met to discuss his proposals for the Lieutenancies. He had lines under his eyes, his mind seemed to be wandering and he just seemed exhausted. Even the news that the Princess Elizabeth had given birth to a baby boy late last year hadn’t seemed to stir him from this. That was worrying.

They needed the King to be active, to be filled with life. Not looking as though he was a ghost. How and why the King had become like this William didn’t know, but he didn’t know how to get him out of it either. And that was what worried him the most. He needed to find some way of getting through to him.

He took a breath and looked at the men gathered before him. He supposed the best way to get things done and to stir the King would be to get the thing the King had tasked him with done and dusted. As such, he cleared his throat and said. “Gentlemen, we all know why we’re here. The King has tasked us with examining the proposals for a new lieutenancy system that will replace the old model of tenant armies. Given the destructive nature of tenant armies, this new system will bring balance and order to the Kingdom and ensure that never again can the nobility wage personal wars.”

There was a murmur at that. William agreed with the King’s proposal in theory, he knew that the war that they had just ended had started because of the Neville Percy conflict, but in practise, he wasn’t sure whether the structure existed to replace tenant armies. He put that doubt to one side as he put on his biggest smile and said. “Our duty is to ensure that this system is solid, so that nobody can poke a hole in it.” He turned to William Bourchier, the King’s cousin and asked him. “What have you found Lord Bourchier?”

Bourchier, who was balding, and who was betrothed to the Queen’s sister, Edith, took a moment to gather his thoughts before he responded. When he did, the words he said were positive. “The structure that currently exists in the tenant army form, is weakening. The deaths of so many of the great lords of the realm over the last decade has created a large gap in the Kingdom. As such, I believe that if His Majesty wishes to, he can introduce these lieutenancies, and he will not face overt opposition.”

“But would there be covert opposition?” William asked.

Before Bourchier could respond, Dee spoke. “There will always be opposition of some kind hiding in the shadows, Lord Huntingdon. The key is to ensure that that opposition never gets the legs to emerge into the light, and that it is choked off in its infancy.”

“And how do you suggest we do that?” William asked.

Dee smiled. “I already have my men working on it.”

William nodded, he didn’t doubt that Dee was doing just that. How he was doing it, well, William was sure it would be better if he didn’t know. He turned back to Bourchier and asked. “What else?”

“I have found four key regions that would benefit from the Lieutenancies. They are the South-West, in the region of Devon and Cornwall. The South-East, in the region of where the fleet is stationed, the West, including Wales, and the North, where Salisbury holds sway.” Bourchier answered.

“And why those regions?” William asked. They made sense to him, but he wanted Bourchier to explain it for the others.

“The South-West held out for the Lancastrians during the initial stages of the war, we need to ensure that there is someone who resides within the region who can crush dissent and quickly react to events, especially as His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales is so young yet.” Bourchier said. “As to the South-East, well that is where much of the fleet is stationed. It is important that they react to a loyal soldier of His Majesty, not some overly partisan Lord.”

William agreed with those two points. Indeed, he’d been the one to suggest the Lieutenancies be for those areas to the King. He’d be interested to see what Bourchier said for the West and the North.

“As for the West, well, Wales has always been an issue, ever since King Richard the Second was deposed. A King’s Lieutenant based in Ludlow who could both charm and tackle the Welsh would not be amiss. As for the North, it is important that there is a neutral party up there who can balance between Neville and Percy.” Bourchier said.

William agreed with those proposals, he couldn’t find any objection to them. He looked around the room and saw that nobody else seemed to have any objections. As such he turned to the Attorney General and asked him. “Is there anything within the law that would stop these Lieutenancies from being created?”

The Attorney General took a moment to consider the question. He’d served both King Richard and King Edward, and had even fought during the campaign in Wales this time around. He was built like an ox, but had a quick mind. When he replied, he sounded confident. “No, there is nothing within the law that stands against this being passed. I would of course ensure that they are created through Act of Parliament than a simple declaration of course.”

“Of course.” William said. That way nobody could object about tyranny etc. The Attorney General nodded, and William said. “Well, if nobody has any objections I suggest we move on.” The King would be happy with this he hoped.

Poor Edmund... Hopefully he isn’t getting ill! Although, if he should suddenly die, that could certainly lead to a continuation of the war and give the few remaining Lancastrians a shot for a restoration of Edward of Westminster

Also, Charles the Bold has a son? Major news! Burgundy is saved ;)