A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Chapter 183: A Wife's Horror

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 183: A Wife’s Horror

March, 1465

“Her Majesty Queen Margaret.” The guard announced as he moved to the side, allowing Margaret to enter the Duke of Brittany’s chamber.

The Duke was sat reading some document or the other which he put down as he looked at her. He stood up. “Your Majesty.” The man said.

“Your Highness.” Margaret replied, inclining her head to recognise the man.

“Please have a seat.” The Duke said.

Margaret sat down in a chair opposite the Duke and then watched him sit down. Once he was seated she asked. “Why have you asked to see me?” She was worried that he would call into account her debt to him, she didn’t have the money to pay, given her dower lands in England had been seized and her father was refusing to send her money.

The Duke sighed. “Read this.” The man handed her the letter he’d been reading. She took it and then looked down.

She recognised the writing though from where she couldn’t say.

Your Highness,

I apologise for the delay in writing, but much has been happening in Westminster.

I write to inform you that His Majesty King Henry has unfortunately died.

He was found dead in Wales, a knife through his neck.

The blow was self-inflicted.

His Majesty’s supporters in England have surrendered.

I await your instructions.

X

Margaret handed the letter back to Brittany. Her husband was dead. Her son’s father was dead. He’d killed himself. She wanted to think that this was not true, that Henry would not do this, but given his state of mind and the mood swings he could have, she was not sure whether she should lie to herself.

Her husband was dead.

“I am so sorry, Your Majesty.” The Duke said.

Margaret closed her eyes and exhaled. “What now?”

Would the Duke ask her and Edward and their followers to leave? She would understand it if he did. Henry was dead, their cause was done.

“Well, that depends entirely on you, Majesty.” The Duke said.

“On me?” Margaret asked wondering what angle he was playing.

“Yes.” The Duke said. “Where would you go if I asked you to leave? To France, I do not think that the boy King there would welcome you. To Lorraine?” The Duke laughed. “You would not make it across before being seized.”

“So, what do you want from me?” Margaret asked. The Duke smiled.

“I want nothing.” The Duke said.

“Nothing?” Margaret replied, not sure whether to believe the man or not.

“Nothing apart from peace.” The Duke said.

“You will have it.” Margaret said.

“Good.” The Duke replied. “I will pay you a pension and allow you to use that to cover the expenses of your household. I will ensure your son receives a good education.”

“And in return?” Margaret asked. “What do you want in return for this peace?” She knew what he meant by peace now, and it wasn’t what she had first thought.

“Your son will serve in my army when the time is right, and your men will serve in my army.” The Duke said.

“Are you planning on going to war?” Margaret asked.

“Not now, no. But in the future.” The Duke replied.

Margaret hesitated. She didn’t want to commit her son and his men to something that might prove problematic in the future, not without a guarantee. “If I agree to this, you must agree to not recognise the man in London and must promise to support my son’s efforts to reclaim the throne.”

There was a brief silence, and Margaret worried that she might have pushed too far, then the Duke’s smile widened. “Agreed.”

Margaret exhaled. “Very well, then I agree.”

The Duke nodded. “Excellent. I shall have an agreement drawn up.”

Margaret nodded, she supposed it could be worse. He could have asked to marry her.

Deleted member 147978

He is fifth in line here AND Warwick is already dead, while Edmund is properly married.
Ma'am, I already mentioned Prince Richard and Princess Cecily in another post of mine. I haven't mentioned anything about the Yorkist Line of Succession. I only mentioned about George's OTL Behavior and speculated if he'll act up against his brothers ITTL.

War will continue, let see how "King" Edmund will fare. Will he be Edmund I or Edmund IV? Traditionally reignal number starts to William I so I guess Edmund I.

War will continue, let see how "King" Edmund will fare. Will he be Edmund I or Edmund IV? Traditionally reignal number starts to William I so I guess Edmund I.
Edmund I, without doubt. None of the pre conquest edwards where counted in the numbering of edward i/ii/iii/etc. though it's also worth noting that medieval western european monarchs didn't really use regnal numbers, it's mostly an invention of later historiography (though an admittedly necessary one imho). and i might stand corrected about the regnal numbers thing, i'm not sure exactly when they came into use but i know it was later...

Edmund I, without doubt. None of the pre conquest edwards where counted in the numbering of edward i/ii/iii/etc. though it's also worth noting that medieval western european monarchs didn't really use regnal numbers, it's mostly an invention of later historiography (though an admittedly necessary one imho). and i might stand corrected about the regnal numbers thing, i'm not sure exactly when they came into use but i know it was later...
the king of France where not the king of France until Philip ii of the Franks change the name

Ma'am, I already mentioned Prince Richard and Princess Cecily in another post of mine. I haven't mentioned anything about the Yorkist Line of Succession. I only mentioned about George's OTL Behavior and speculated if he'll act up against his brothers ITTL.
My point is who ATL he will NOT have the conditions for developing his OTL behavior PLUS him being far away from the crown (OTL he was the first male and Edward’s secret wedding had angered many). With Edmund’s son and Thomas indisputably before him in the succession and without an enraged Warwick to push him George will have no reason or following for rebelling like OTL

VVD0D95

Banned
My point is who ATL he will NOT have the conditions for developing his OTL behavior PLUS him being far away from the crown (OTL he was the first male and Edward’s secret wedding had angered many). With Edmund’s son and Thomas indisputably before him in the succession and without an enraged Warwick to push him George will have no reason or following for rebelling like OTL
Two of Edmund's sons before him, most definitely.

Deleted member 147978

Fair enough, I suppose.