A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

EIII's entail/choice comes behind RII's choice.
And if you accept Parliament's choice after his death surely you have to accept it OTL where it accepted ROY as heir to HVI and ATL where it accepted ROY as king.

RII abdicated, that's the difference - HVI never abdicated (and had a son), if HVI abdicated, Yorkist claim would be fully legitimate.

Chapter 169: Mothers

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 169: Mothers

February, 1464

Edmund settled in on the throne and nodded to the guards. He watched as they walked to the end of the throne room and opened the doors, words were exchanged and then the guards walked back in, and the taller one proclaimed. “Lady Margaret Welles, Your Majesty.”

Edmund took a breath and felt Margaret take a hold of his hand briefly, he gave it a squeeze and then she let go. He watched as his mother in law walked into the throne room. Her dress was pristine; her hair was done appropriately. The only sign that she was ageing were the wrinkles that Edmund noticed under her eyes. His mother had them as well.

This meeting should’ve happened months ago, but due to the snow that had plagued England at the end of last year it had been delayed. Now, his mother in law was here, and Edmund would hear what she had to say.

The woman stopped before the steps that led to the throne, she curtseyed. “Your Majesties.” She said, her voice surprisingly deep.

“Lady Welles.” Edmund said. “You have come as asked, now we ask why you have come.”

The woman looked up at him and said. “I have come to beg forgiveness, Your Majesty.”

“Forgiveness?” Edmund asked.

“Yes, Your Majesty. I have been a terrible subject, and a terrible mother.” The woman said. Edmund noted that as she said that last part she looked at his wife. “I have put loyalty to a man who is blinded by ambition before loyalty to my Kingdom and to my daughter. And for that I beg forgiveness.”

Edmund glanced at Margaret and saw that she was staring at her mother, but she didn’t look as though she’d be able to say anything, so he spoke. “Why should we forgive you? You sided with the Lancastrians for years before eventually running. And by all accounts you only ran after the attainder was passed.”

The woman, to her credit, didn’t flinch, she answered boldly. “I knew then how much of a mistake I had made, by standing by my husband. A mother’s duty is to her children, not to an errant husband.”

“And your son?” Margaret asked, speaking for the first time. “Where is he?”

Lady Welles sighed. “I could not take him with me, his father had him under guard.”

“I see.” Margaret replied coldly.

“So, you have made your apology.” Edmund said. “But what good is an apology when there is a man sat in a part of my Kingdom, who refuses to allow anything to change?”

Lady Welles understood what he meant. “I bring information as well, Sire.”

“What sort of information?” Edmund asked.

“I can tell you now that the garrison in Calais is close to revolt. Indeed, if I have read the situation right, in the time that I have been gone, my husband will either have had to dismiss some of the senior commanders, or he’d have had to execute them. That will not have earned him their thanks or their praise. I can also tell you that many of the women in Calais were preparing for a demonstration before I left.” Lady Welles said.

Edmund considered this. He’d heard about the garrison preparing to revolt, indeed he’d already sent Ralph Hastings with around four hundred men to encourage them toward that end. But this thing about the women, that was not something he’d heard. Could that be of use?

“Go on.” He commanded.

“I can help get the women onto the streets. I just need to provide them with the right incentives.” Lady Welles said.

Margaret scoffed, but Edmund was intrigued. “Go on.”

“If Your Majesty would give me the chance to go and speak with some of the ladies, accompanied by promises of their safety-through letters written by Your Majesty-as well as some gold, I am sure they would be on the street before the end of the month.” Lady Welles said.

“You want a bribe then.” Margaret said.

“People need reassurance, Your Majesty.” Lady Welles replied. “I am only asking that you provide that reassurance.”

Edmund glanced at Margaret, he could tell by the way her brow was furrowed that she strongly disapproved of this. But, if they could get the women out onto the street, then their menfolk would follow. That might make it easier for Ralph to take control. What did they have to lose after all?

“Very well.” He said, coming to a decision. “We shall send you off with letters and silver, before the month is out.”

The woman curtseyed. “Thank you, Your Majesty.”

Edmund nodded and said. “Now go, rest. We shall speak more later.”

*Sighs* There goes Calais. Hurry up James and do something! You are the last hope for the Lancastrian cause to make a comeback.

They’ll need to make it worth his while
True, they could probably offer a Beaufort as a proxy bride for one of his sons, and agree to recognise his overlordship of Roxburgh and any other towns he has claims on. That or they just let him distract the English for them.

True, they could probably offer a Beaufort as a proxy bride for one of his sons, and agree to recognise his overlordship of Roxburgh and any other towns he has claims on. That or they just let him distract the English for them.
Which Beaufort is available now?

VVD0D95

Banned
Tbf possession is 3/5ths of the law so the Roxburgh issue is pretty settled aha

RII abdicated, that's the difference - HVI never abdicated (and had a son), if HVI abdicated, Yorkist claim would be fully legitimate.
Makes no difference.
If you accept Parliament's choice after his death or abdication then you have to accept it OTL where it accepted ROY as heir to HVI and ATL where it accepted ROY as king.

Makes no difference.
If you accept Parliament's choice after his death or abdication then you have to accept it OTL where it accepted ROY as heir to HVI and ATL where it accepted ROY as king.
Still the problem is that Richard II was a tyrant and Henry VI was not, so Bolingbroke's rebellion was righteously motivated, York's wasn't.

Still the problem is that Richard II was a tyrant and Henry VI was not, so Bolingbroke's rebellion was righteously motivated, York's wasn't.
Oh, please... Really I can NOT understand how you can truly believe that. Richard WAS the legitimate KING and BOLINGBROKE was NOT his DESIGNATED OR LEGITIMATE heir.