A Thorn In The Rose: A War Of The Roses TL

Chapter 5: Sandal

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 5: Sandal

October, 1453

The fine had kept him awake at night. Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury was man enough to admit that. The fine was a quarter of his total income for this year, and as such would require him cutting back on something or the other. It was not a good thing for him, especially as the Crown still owed him roughly £3000 for his service as Warden of the West March. But Somerset had been clear, he had to pay otherwise he’d be facing another fine, which would no doubt mean he’d have to sell off some property, something he definitely didn’t want to do.

As such, Richard had decided to break with his principle and go and visit his brother in law, the Duke of York. The man was the King’s heir, but was also a hard and cold man, someone who rarely made friends and someone who Richard had never quite liked until recently. He could appreciate that York was direct and blunt, it made a change from the flowery nonsense of those at court. The man’s attempted insurrection hadn’t worked out last year, and York had had the sense to keep his head down after that, but this? This was too good an opportunity for him to miss.

Richard looked at the man, noted the beginnings of grey in his hair and smiled. “Thank you for agreeing to meet with me, Your Highness.” He gave York the stylings of a Prince, something he was entitled to as the King’s heir. “I know that you are a busy man. I hope that the children and Cecily are well.” Richard had used his sister to get this meeting, plied her with sweet words and flatteries, the sorts of thing she had liked before, and thankfully it had worked.

“They are well, Cecily is looking forward to meeting you later. She and the younger children are currently visiting Kirkland Abbey.” York said.

“Of course, I look forward to meeting them.” Richard replied, he didn’t like young children, but if he had to deal with them to get York’s support, then so be it.

“So, what is it you wished to discuss?” York asked.

“I am sure you are aware of the little incident that occurred at Heworth Moor two months ago.” Richard said.

“I am.” York said.

“Given that you are very knowledgeable on the law, I wanted to get your thoughts on the outcome that the King’s council decided upon.” Richard said.

“Very well.” York replied.

Richard cleared his throat and continued. “After producing a letter that Egremont claims inspired the attack, the council led by Somerset ruled that both myself and Egremont were in violation of the King’s peace and thus ordered us to pay a fine. Egremont’s fine was set at £400 whilst mine was set at £500.”

“Okay, and this letter that was produced, what was in it?” York asked.

Richard took a breath; this was where things were going to get complicated. “Words that Egremont claimed I had written, in which I insulted and questioned the King’s manhood and also insulted Egremont’s father, Northumberland.”

“And did you?” York asked.

“Of course not.” Richard said. “For all his faults, the King is still the King.”

“So, what was it that convinced Somerset and the Council that you were guilty as charged?” York asked.

“The letter contained my signature and my seal.” Richard replied.

York raised an eyebrow. “And you are sure you did not write that letter?”

“I am positive, Your Highness.” Richard said. “I would never write such a thing.”

“And would you ever fix your signature and seal to something without reading it first?” York asked.

“Of course not, my father taught me better than that.” Richard bristled.

“Then I think it is quite obvious that you were allowed to take the fall and that someone has forged your seal and knows your signature well enough to do something like this.” York said.

“Agreed.” Richard replied, he had thought something similar as well. “I’ve ordered an examination of everyone within the household.”

“Good.” York said. “But there’s something about this that doesn’t sit right with me.”

“And what is that?” Richard asked.

“You said that Somerset led the council?” York asked.

“Yes.” Richard replied getting an inkling of where York was going with this.

“Was the King present at this meeting at all?” York asked.

“No.” Richard replied. “I had found that most odd, given the importance that Somerset seemed to attach to this meeting.” Indeed, the letter that had been sent out summoning him to attend court had made it seem as if this was the highlight of the King’s court until the Queen gave birth.

York looked as if he were considering something revelatory, his eyes were wide and his expression considerate. Eventually, he spoke and his words were measured. “Then the judgement issued by Somerset and the Council is invalid. Given the seriousness with which it was judged, the King should have been present to deliver the verdict and to hear your reasons. That he was not there suggests something is wrong in the heart of court.”

“What do you suggest?” Richard asked, he already had a few ideas for solutions.

“That when Parliament meets next month we work together to produce a petition that demands an investigation into the way the King’s council has been run since August. This is not the only strange judgement to have been produced since then.” York answered.

“Agreed.” Richard said. His Westmoreland nephew had won a case against some minor tenant after going to the King’s council, Richard had been told by friends at court that Westmoreland should never have won that case, given the lack of evidence to support his claim. “But Somerset and the Queen will have their supporters multiplied through the buying of votes in the recent election.” The government’s supporters in the Commons was large, and most of the Lords would not turn against the King openly, if he attended.

“Then we are going to have to find out what is happening and if they have nothing to hide they should not be afraid to be open and honest about what is happening.” York said. “The fact that you are also Warden of the West March and have been fined without the King being there for the judgement is also questionable. An office holder of the Crown cannot be fined without the King being present for the judgement. That has been the case since the time of King Henry Fitzempress.”

Richard nodded, happy that he and York were on the same page. “So, we shall work together next month?”

“Yes.” York agreed. “I shall instruct my supporters amongst the Commons to work with your supporters. We shall provide a united front and see what is going on.”

Satisfied, Richard smiled and said. “Good, it is nice to know we are on the same page.”

York rose, thus prompting Richard to also rise, and as they both pushed their chairs back, there was a knock on the door. “Enter.” York called out, the doors opened and a young man with dark brown hair entered the room, he bowed before York and then handed him a letter.

York read it and scowled. He looked at Richard and said. “The Queen has given birth to a boy.”

Richard swallowed, their plan for Parliament just got a lot harder.

Chapter 6: York

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 6: York

October, 1453

The hour was late, the evening banquet to celebrate his brother in law’s arrival and the agreement of their alliance had finished only a few hours ago, and after that Richard had come to visit his wife to spend the evening with her. Now, huddled together in the great bed, he found his mind whirring. Salisbury’s treatment by Somerset and the Royal Council was appalling, the man had given his life to the Crown’s service and now because he had reacted when Egremont had attacked him, he had been fined. Richard did not believe for a moment that his brother in law had written that letter, he was far too smart to have done so, which could only mean someone in his own household wanted Salisbury and Egremont at blows.

The reason for why was obvious. Destabilising England after the loss of Gascony could benefit the French and prevent any coordinated attempt to regain lost territories. It could also benefit the Scots, as King James wanted to regain Roxburgh and Berwick and keeping the two families tasked with defending the borders, at war with one another would be a great benefit to him. But the question was how, how had Salisbury allowed himself to be tricked like this. Richard didn’t know and that concerned him.

He was less concerned about the fact that Salisbury had finally broken his silence and come to meet him. After Richard’s attempted rising had floundered last year, his old friends had abandoned him and left him alone and isolated. Salisbury’s arrival at Sandal clearly showed that that was changing. If he could push that on and achieve something at Parliament next month, more of them would come, and perhaps then he would be able to deal with Somerset once and for all.

“What are you thinking about so loudly?” His wife asked, he looked down at her and saw that her head was resting on his arm, and that her eyes were closed.

“I am just trying to think of how to ensure what happened to your brother works to our advantage.” Richard replied.

“And how do you plan on doing that?” Cecily asked.

“We are going to work together in Parliament next month.” Richard said, the elections had been held earlier this month, and the results had been favourable. “He has twenty MPs, I have thirty, then Berkeley, Kent and others have a combined total of thirty MPs. That brings us to eighty MPs.”

“How many do Northumberland and Somerset have?” Cecily asked.

“Together? Fifty.” Richard said. “But if Somerset is in charge of the Royal Council as Salisbury’s account seems to suggest, then they will have roughly one hundred MPs on their side, and more willing to side with them.”

Cecily opened her eyes then and sat up. She looked at him and asked. “How are you going to get around that then?”

Richard frowned. “That’s what I’ve been trying to figure out. I think the best approach would be to immediately introduce a Bill of Enquiry into the Lords when it first sits. That way we can get the issue of Salisbury’s fine discussed and out in the open. As Warden of the West March he shouldn’t have been fined without the King being present. If there is something wrong with the King, then the Royal Council should have informed Salisbury of that due to his role as Warden. If there is nothing wrong with him, then Somerset acted without the right authority, unless the King gave him the power to do so. But Salisbury showed me the writ which contained his fine, the Royal Seal is not affixed, only Somerset and other members of the Council.”

Cecily frowned as well. “So, what do you think that means?”

Richard sighed. “I don’t know. I think there is something terribly wrong going on at court. Either the King is ill and the court is trying to hide it, which is wrong, or Somerset has taken Suffolk’s role and is now trying to remove power from the Crown, which is also wrong.”

“But how are you going to prove either? A Bill of Enquiry won’t be enough to get Somerset to admit to anything, will it?” Cecily asked.

York took a moment to consider that, his wife was right in the loosest sense. A Bill of Enquiry was enough to get a debate on the procedure used to fine Salisbury, but it wouldn’t necessarily force Somerset to disclose what was wrong with the King. But there was a gap there. “The King will need to be present for the State Opening of Parliament, as will the Queen. If neither of them are there it will raise questions. The Queen less so, due to having just given birth, but the King? The King must be there for this Parliament to have any semblance of legitimacy.”

“And if he is not there, then Somerset as the leader of the Royal Council will have to let the Marshal and other prominent peers know.” Cecily said. Richard smiled, his wife continued to amaze him with her knowledge of the finite.

“Yes.” Richard said. “So, we will have to wait and see what Somerset decides to do. I have already had Tyrell draft a series of letters to Norfolk, Exeter and a few others pointing out the oddities in how Salisbury’s fine was handed out. The letters will be sent out tomorrow. So, with any luck they will have time to familiarise themselves with what has happened and how it can be addressed.”

“Norfolk’s support will be crucial to ensuring a fair discussion is had.” Cecily pointed out. “You’ve always said he held great sway at court, even if he disagreed with some of the things the King’s uncles did.”

“Yes.” Richard said.

Cecily yawned then and laid back down on the pillow. “How much longer do you want to stay at Sandal for?”

At that moment, Richard felt slightly guilty, he had all but forced his wife and their youngest children to leave Fotheringhay to come northwards so that they could be close at hand should something happen with Salisbury, after all, he had had a feeling something like this would happen for some time. His wife no doubt wanted to return either to Fotheringhay where their second son Edmund and their daughters were, or to Ludlow where Edward, their eldest son was.

“We shall be heading out in a few days’ time, Cecily.” Richard said.

“Good, I think it would do Edward good to move away from Ludlow for a time and come with us to Fotheringhay.” Cecily said.

Richard raised an eyebrow. “Why do you say so?”

“Because he is not focusing enough on his studies. His tutor says he prefers to spend time in the practice yard with the wooden swords you gave him last Christmas. I think if he comes with us to Fotheringhay, being with Edmund will be a good thing for him. You know they complement one another.”

Richard sighed, his wife was right. Edward, his eldest son was a boy who liked to be rough and to tumble about, he liked fighting and riding. Edmund, their second son preferred to read and to write things. Both boys together though complemented one another, they encouraged one another in the aspects that they were lacking in alone. Given the situation at court that might arise, it couldn’t hurt to have them together.

“Very well.” He said. “I’ll send word to Edward’s tutor; the boy will meet us on the road to Fotheringhay.”

Cecily smiled, but said nothing, Richard kissed his wife’s forehead, then turned to his right and blew out the candle and leaned back against the pillow and closed his eyes.

“Norfolk’s support will be crucial to ensuring a fair discussion is had.” Cecily pointed out. “You’ve always said he held great sway at court, even if he disagreed with some of the things the King’s uncles did.”

And he'd previously been supportive of York in 1450, no?

Chapter 7: State Opening

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 7: State Opening

November, 1453

Margaret was worried. No, she was terrified. In a few moments, they would have to leave the sanctuary of the Royal Apartments and head out to the Painted Chamber to officially open Parliament. Why was she worried? Because she didn’t know whether her husband, the King, would be in a fit state to do his duty. Ever since they had received word of the fall of Gascony and the death of his brothers, the King had been incapacitated. No doctor and no cure had been able to break through his dull silence. He would just sit there, unblinking, and unmoving. The sight had distressed her so much she had had to enter confinement early. The King hadn’t even come when she’d given birth to their son.

Margaret had tried to convince Somerset to either postpone the State Opening or to approach it in a different manner, but for once her friend had refused to agree to her will. He had told her that the King had to attend the State Opening otherwise the Parliament would not be considered legitimate. He had also told her that people needed to see the King, otherwise rumours would get out. She understood both points, but had pointed out that if the King were completely incapacitated and had to be held to walk, then rumours would get out anyway, and they were all sunk for that would mean a Protectorship was needed, which would go to that devil’s child York.

Margaret laid a hand on her dress and flattened it out, it was a blue dress, with red lace topping the collar. It looked beautiful, and was one of the cheaper dresses she owned, given the economic situation it didn’t feel right to wear something more exuberant than this. The doors to the King’s chambers opened, and her husband walked out accompanied by two Sergeant at Arms. The King was dressed in the red of the House of Lancaster, his crown atop his head. He smiled weakly at her.

Margaret returned his smile, they had been married for almost a decade now, and in that time, Margaret had come to an understanding of her husband, at least she thought so. He didn’t like to be touched, he was shy and he was scared. Having been King since he was a child, he didn’t know who was loyal for him and who was loyal because of the Crown he wore. It had taken him time to trust her and they had just reached a breakthrough when Gascony had fallen. For that she hated her cousin and she hated her father and she hated France, they had stopped her husband from trusting her.

She blinked in shock when she felt him take her hand in his. She looked at him then and saw that the weak smile had been replaced by a cheeky grin, the one that he reserved just for her. She said nothing though for the doors to the central hall that led to the Painted Chamber had been opened. A train of servants hurried to fix their cloaks to them, whilst Margaret took her crown and put it atop her head, the moment that was done she took Henry’s hand in hers again. Her husband coughed then he started to move.

They walked passed the doors and out into the corridor, Henry’s hand was gripped firmly in hers, which was reassuring. As they got to about halfway toward the Painted Chamber, with the eyes of the Lords and Gentry upon them, she heard her husband whisper. “Fear not, my dear, I shall address these rascals as though they were those seeking judgement.” She turned to him, eyes wide, she had never heard her husband speak like that, she hadn’t heard him speak in months, when she looked at him though, he was looking straight ahead.

Margaret had to do the same, to prevent herself from tripping over. Just hearing her husband speak was something though. Did this mean that he had overcome whatever ailment had struck him low? She desperately hoped so. They entered the Painted Chamber, with Lords lined up on both sides, she looked up and saw scenes from the Bible and from classical stories painted across the chamber. There was Alexander defeating the Persians, and there was the return of God’s Chosen People to the Holy Land after their years in exile.

The lords had their heads bowed, as Margaret looked to her right, she saw the Duke of York with his head bowed, she bit back a snort. He must hate that. York did not like her husband, she knew, but he would do what was necessary to keep up appearances, and for that she hated him. She wanted him gone, for he was the greatest threat to her husband and to their son that yet existed.

She turned away from him then as they approached the thrones. The King’s throne was a large golden seat, embroidered with jewellery from across the world, the star in all of this was a great big diamond that had been a gift from a King of India, it was placed in the top of the throne. Margaret’s own throne was also made from gold, but was smaller and less majestic than her husband’s as was only fitting, for she was a Queen by marriage not in her own right.

The servants hurried to help lift their cloaks, and when that was done, Margaret let go her husband’s hand and took her seat, as did the King. Once they were both seated, the Lords took their seats, whilst the Gentry remained standing. A sign of the social order.

The King cleared his throat Margaret looked at him, shocked that this was actually happening. Had God answered her prayers?

He didn’t read from a piece of paper, she imagined he wouldn’t have done so anyway, even if he had not suffered from the illness. Her husband did not like reading from a document, he saw it as dishonest.

“My lords and gentlemen, welcome to a new session of Parliament. We meet at a time of great distress for the Kingdom. Gascony has gone, whilst Calais remains. The sacrifices of many young and old men have been laid before us all before. In this session of Parliament, I ask that we consider how to move forward in a concise manner. Those who must face judgement for their actions are to face judgement. Those who must be rewarded are to be rewarded. It is important more now than ever that we come together.”

Margaret got the feeling that her husband was speaking to both her and York when he finished off. “We cannot afford division, the time for petty grievances must be put aside.”

There was a brief pause and then the Duke of Norfolk stood up and shouted. “God Save the King!”

The cry was taken up by countless other peers and the Gentry, Margaret noticed that even York was shouting the chant, which she knew wasn’t genuine. The old bastard wanted her husband’s throne.

The Archbishop of Canterbury came forward then to say a prayer, and then when he was done, her husband stood as did she. They walked out of the Painted Chamber and made their way back to the Royal Apartments.

As they walked, her husband spoke again. “I want to go to Windsor.”

“Your Grace?” Margaret asked, not sure if she’d heard him properly.

“I want to go to Windsor, and get away from this viper’s den.” Henry said.

“Of course, do you want me to speak to the Lord Chamberlain to arrange the visit?” Margaret asked.

“No need, I have already sent instructions.” Henry said.

Margaret was surprised at this; how had she not been told about this? Usually anything that happened in their household, above the stairs, was something she was told about. Especially since the King’s illness. But now, it seemed that that had changed.

Another thing that had changed it seemed, was that instead of taking the normal route to their apartments, they were taking a detour. It took her a moment to realise where they were going, it was when they passed a statue of the King’s father, dressed in his armour, that she realised they were at the nursery.

The guards there bowed as they walked in. Still wearing their cloaks and formal wear from the opening, they entered the Royal Nursery and Margaret watched as her husband moved to where their son was sleeping.

She watched as he looked at the boy and then turned back to her and asked. “This is our son?”

“Yes.” Margaret said.

“What is his name?” Henry asked.

“Edward.” Margaret replied.

“A strong name, a good name.” Henry said.

“Yes.” Margaret replied, smiling as her husband looked back at their son, she tried to ignore the fact that his left hand had started shaking.

Why? He's still a King, and he's still highly religious.

But he's also highly insane and I expected him to be like - "I let my brothers die, so my soul deserves worst punishment possible, - Hell, idc about England let York take it if he wants to (he didn't know about his son's birth yet)"

VVD0D95

Banned
But he's also highly insane and I expected him to be like - "I let my brothers die, so my soul deserves worst punishment possible, - Hell, idc about England let York take it if he wants to (he didn't know about his son's birth yet)"

Is he insane yet? Or has he just suffered a nervous breakdown?