A Storm Over Okehazama Redux: A Sengoku Japan TL

Part 21: The Chugoku Campaign Begins, The Yamaguchi Incident
  • Winter 1568

Yoshimoto had sent demands for the Amago, Ouchi, and Yamana to back down and surrender. A series of messages had arrived from Amago Haruhisa, Yamana Suketoyo, and Ouchi Yoshinaga which stated their refusal. In response, Yoshimoto had called upon local lords to assist him in chastising the Yamana and the rest of Chugoku.

May 9th, 1568

Yamaguchi Palace, Suo Province

Yoshinaga had heard the news that Harukata was engaging the Imagawa. Sensing it was the right time to make his move, Yoshinaga had sent for local forces to capture Sue Nagafusa, Harukata's son. Yoshinaga had received a frantic messenger.

"My Lord, Nagafusa has escaped!"

"Then send soldiers out to the countryside, he must be found! I want messengers dispatched to the Mori in Yoshida-Koriyama Castle in Aki, tell them to defend their lord, if not for my sake which is understandable, then at least to avenge their father."

"Understood my Lord." The messenger left.

Word of the Yamaguchi Palace Incident, as it was being called had spread, with Yoshinaga moving to secure Suo Province in preparation to face the Sue and their supporters.

May 13th, 1568

Yoshida-Koriyama Castle, Aki Province

Mori Takamoto had received word that Ouchi Yoshinaga had requested his aid. Takamoto had summoned his brothers to Yoshida Koriyama the moment the rumors broke out about Yoshinaga's actions against Harukata, some saying he killed Sue Nagafusa.

"Brother, must we be content with backing Yoshinaga, why not become independent outright, we owe that usurper nothing!" Kikkawa Motoharu was incensed that his older brother, Mori Takamoto would consider working with Yoshinaga.

"As much as I would like to agree if Yoshinaga is left alone and we rebel the Harukata will just move against us next once he is done with him. We will send aid to Yoshinaga but tell him in that the Mori will never serve the Ouchi again. After all this situation we have found ourselves in all rests on Harukata's actions." [1]

May 25th, 1568

2 miles from Tottori Castle, Inaba Province

The Imagawa advance westward saw them take Konosumi Castle and Tajima Province. However, the Imagawa had faced harsher resistance in Inaba Province, as the Yamana were supported by the Amago and Ouchi. Sue Harukata had led the Ouchi as the driving force of this conflict, or at least he was.

"Damn that ungrateful bastard! He would still be Otomo Haruhide the half-brother to Otomo Yoshishige without me! He will not be as lucky as my son. If I find him, I'll explain to Ushimaru his father died in an accident." Harukata's anger had subsided, before turning towards Okimori Naito, and Fujikane Masuda. "Okimori, Fujikane, can I trust you to keep your forces here? Haruhisa and Suketoyo would never forgive us for leaving them.

"Yes, but we do not know how long we can keep these skirmishes going." Naito Okimori warned.

"Then fight until it is no longer possible to delay the siege."

"Understood Commander."

Harukata proceeded to race back to take control of the Ouchi.

[1] Mori Takamoto was the son of Mori Motonari who died in 1563 apparently of poison, here while his father dies he avoids that fate. Motonari was fond of having his sons adopted into local clans to secure power.

[2] Considering Yoshinaga died in OTL at 25 and is 36 TTL I figured he should have at least one son.

I've decided to make a more localized map of the area, the colors are the same on the map except for Suo and Iwami are in silver, to represent Harukata Sue and his faction, While the Ouchi force in Bingo remain loyal to the Mori, and therefore reverts back to grey.

Yamaguchi.png

Last edited:
    Part 22: Battle of the Suo Sea
  • June 8th, 1568

Funai Palace, Bungo Province

Otomo Sorin was meeting his chief retainers, Yoshioki Nagamasu, Usuki Akihaya, and Yoshihiro Akitada. [1]

"So my 'dear' younger brother wishes for more aid. The Sue are preparing a naval expedition to more easily attack Yamaguchi Castle, and he wants us to help drive them off. So, should we?"

"My Lord, your brother would be further indebted to us, not to mention, it would certainly help the Shogun's view of us. It would leave both sides weakened for the Imagawa to arrive. Akihaya said, considering an intervention to be in the best course of action.

"With respect, installing your brother served us well in allowing us to control Buzen and Chikuzen, should we really risk our position to help him again? Our vassals are quite distant with us, and may not be willing to aid us, or they may get ideas about independence if send to many forces." Nagamasu said in response.

"Akitada, you seem silent on this matter, what is your opinion on this matter?"

"My Lord we can only send a small force to assist your brother without leaving ourselves weak. I feel both Nagamasu and Akihaya have a point." Akitada warned.

Sorin had remained silent for a few moments. "Assemble a small fleet we will aid my brother after all."

June 14th, 1568

Suo Sea

Near the Kanmon Straits, three fleets began to converge. The Sue had mustered a fleet to try and break the stalemate by landing a force to take Suo and with it Yamaguchi Palace. To counter this threat The Ouchi had turned towards their vassals the Mori, with their allied clans, and reluctantly Yoshinaga's brother and the Otomo clan.

Before the Ouchi had split, they had taken in several shipwrecked sailors and crews, some shipwrecks were natural, others quite coincidental. The Ouchi had attempted to build ships in the style of the foreigners and had built at least two western-style ships the Yamaguchi Maru and the Ouchi Maru. Among the Ouchi innovations to naval warfare, handgunners were brought aboard ships and taught to fire while on them. The Ouchi Maru had fallen into the Sue's hands and was used a flagship, while the Yamaguchi Maru was the Ouchi flagship.

The Sue forces comprised sixty-six ships with the Ouchi Maru and five atakebune, twenty sekibune and forty kobaya. While the Ouchi and Otomo had a combined eighty-nine ships, nine akatebune with the Yamaguchi Maru, thirty-three sekibune, and forty-six kobaya. The Sue navy took on a defensive position to cope with its lack of numbers, rowing in a gyorin formation. [2]

The smaller kobaya vessels engaged first exchanging musket and arrow fire. While the larger sekibune and atakebune engaged in ramming the smaller craft and began to engage in boarding actions. Both sides saw exchanges of musket fire before boarding had begun. Several ships had started to get closer to each other with boarding and grappling hooks and began to make the sea battle much bloodier.

The Sue had fought bravely but found themselves losing ships. The Ouchi Maru had found itself being grappled by an Otomo Atakebune, However before the ship could board, the Ouchi Maru fired a broadside that tore through the atakebune leaving it heavily damaged. This gave the Ouchi's Maru's crew a chance to repel the boarding action. However, the Ouchi Maru would not remain lucky as the Yamaguchi Maru was dead set on attacking it.

The Yamaguchi Maru sailed to the starboard side of the Ouchi Maru and began boarding the ship. Both Western-style ships had foreigners serving as gunners, and boarding parties. The Yamaguchi Maru's crew charged the ship's deck and found fierce resistance, even after being fired upon the Yamaguchi Maru's hand gunners. The fighting would continue for several hours as ships would be destroyed, sunk, or captured. The end result saw the Sue navy defeated with a few ships managing to retreat.

Fall, 1568

The Battle of the Suo Sea left the conflict between the Ouchi and Sue in a continued stalemate. The Imagawa continued their offensive into Chugoku, taking Inaba and some parts of Hoki but had finally managed to subdue to North of Honshu. The Dewa and Mutsu Provinces where divided into five, Northern Dewa became Ugo Province, Northern Mutsu became Sannohe Province, Central Mutsu became Rikushu, while Southern Dewa and Mutsu retained their former province names. [3]

Sannohe would be governed by the Nanbu clan, the Akita clan would govern Ugo Province, while the Kasai clan would govern Rikushu Province.

Map of Japan 1568

Sengoku start.png

The Map above has some noticeable changes I've changed Dewa and Mutsu into five provinces, and I've found a good to mark off the Kakizaki influence in Ezo. That aside it is slightly slower going westward for the Imagawa. Mind you the borders could be better, originally, I had to use a smaller map that cut out Hokkaido, but had more workable divisions.

[1] Otomo Sorin, notable for being one of the most important Daimyo to convert to Christianity. However, he has not converted yet, considering the Mori never defeated the Ouchi and forced the Catholics out of Yamaguchi. Sorin had also backed Sue Harukata's coup against Ouchi Yoshitaka.

[2] Japanese Ship classes could be divided into small, medium, and big ships, or Kobaya, Sekibune, Atakebune respectively. Japanese Naval combat was largely focused on boarding actions, with ships being little more than castles in some cases. Tactics-wise naval battles used the same formations as in land combat.

[3] Of the five new provinces two have names that are completely new. Sannohe Province is TTL Aomori Province, which got its name from the green woods that surrounded the port near Hirosaki Castle, here it is named after the key stronghold of the Nanbu. Rikushu was a name used for an OTL area that comprised there provinces Rikuchu, Rikuezen, and Mutsu.

Last edited:
    Part 23: The Southern Chugoku Campaign
  • May 23rd, 1569

Gassantoda Castle, Izumo Province

Amago Haruhisa was not the most trusting of individuals and was naturally suspicious of Harukata's offer. However, the tide had sharply turned against in Haruhisa's mind, this hastily formed alliance. Harukata's lapdog breaks free of his leash, and now Harukata leaves me to face the Imagawa alone, Haruhisa having recently considered send an emissary to negotiate a cease-fire.

Azai Nagamasa had led the Imagawa forces into Hoki province and was on his way towards Gassantoda soon. Rumors had spread of chaos in the rest of the Chugoku. The clashes between the Mimura and Uragami went to war against each other while as the Bessho finally plotted to overthrow their erstwhile masters, the Akamatsu. The Imagawa were sending troops into Southern Chugoku, to restore order and possibly to exert control over all of Honshu.

June 8th, 1569

Saidaiji Kannon-in, Bizen Province

Miyoshi Yoshitoki was sent to lead troops from Settsu and restore order to Bizen, Yoshitoki was to subdue the Uragami and get the Mimura to back down. Yoshitoki had managed to surround Tenjinyama Castle quickly, causing Uragami Munekage to surrender. However, the Uragami had very little influence outside of Tenjinyama, their retainer Ukita Naoie held the real power in the clan. Yoshitoki was forced to meet Naoie at the Yoshii River.

In a show of good faith, Yoshitoki and his delegation cross the river to meet Naoie at Saidaiji Kannon Temple.

"Lord Yoshitoki, welcome." Naoie said as Yoshitoki entered the temple courtyard.

"Your lord has surrendered yet you insist on meeting with me as if we are equals?"

"Yes, Munekage hardly controls anything outside of Tenjinyama. Perhaps the Shogun look to a more capable lord for Bizen?"

"I assume you mean yourself? Fine I will listen to your reasons, but make no mistake any attempt to resist will see us use force."

"Lord Yoshitoki there is no need for such measures," Naoie said trying to reassure Yoshitoki of his intentions. "My castle at Okayama is much more suitable for the changing times, near farmland. Tejinyama is a mountain castle, it is soon to be a relic of an age of war, lead by a poor excuse for a lord."

"Hmph I will send word to my lord, but do not believe for a moment you will be Lord of Bizen without pulling your weight."

"Lord, I never had any intention of doing so."

"Then you will aid us in our march into Bitchu and Bingo."

"Understood."

September 6th, 1569

Kannabe Castle, Bitchu Province

Kannabe Castle had fallen to the Imagawa, while they did not control all of Bitchu Province, the Imagawa were only left with the Amago Clan, and the fractured Ouchi Clan forces to deal with.

Sorry for the brief update. I haven't exactly been all that up to the task of writing.

Last edited:
    Part 24: The Imagawa Unite Honshu and Shikoku, The Muromachi Conference
  • February 12th, 1570

Shizuki Castle, Nagato Province

Sue Harukata had gathered his remaining allies, to discuss their plans, as it appeared victory in any sense of the word would be unlikely.

"Lord Okimori, Lord Fujikane, I am thankful for you sticking by me all these years. I feel it would only be appropriate that I support you. As it stands to continue to fight with Yoshinaga is pointless, we are better off trying to secure our own futures with the Imagawa."

"You want us to surrender to the Imagawa?" Fujikane had asked.

"Yes, if anything it would us a chance to retain our power outside of the Ouchi."

"What of your lands in Suo."

"If Yoshinaga offers it back after the war, I will accept, but with an army at my back,"

June 25th, 1570

Muromachi Palace, Kyoto Province

'It had come to this,' Yoshinaga had thought. Harukata and his allies had surrendered to the Imagawa along with, the Mori, while his brother Sorin and the Otomo had submitted to Imagawa rule. The Shogun had requested his presence at the Capital, as the Imgawa's authority comprised all of Honshu and Shikoku, and with the submission of his brother, the Imagawa's rule looked to be absolute.

Yoshinaga had made his way towards the main chamber, where various lords were in attendance, divided into seven regions. Yoshinaga had sat near his fellow lords of the Chugoku regions as Shogun Yoshimoto, sat in front of them.

“I am pleased you all could attend, we have much to discuss with the future of the country. Regardless of the fact, there a few areas not under our control, the age of conflict between clans is over, and a new age of peace will be upon us. However, we have remained too isolated and divided, for far too long. There is a larger world that we must be aware of, and ready for, these foreigners from the far west describe their lands as torn apart by religious violence and competition from other states." Yoshimoto stated

"The One Castle, One Province system is to remain law. All temples are to have registries of their members, and the people who pray at them, their defenses are to be provided for by the feudal lord," I also want more than just your individual loyalty. Each of the seven regions of this land will hold rotating councils every three years and shall be hosted in a different province each time." Murmurs had come from the crowd, but none dared to voice discontent.[1]

"The other pressing need at home is that of a unified currency system. From now on, all mints are to be under control of the state, and a triple monetary standard of coins, with gold, silver, and copper denominations." [2]

"While I have a firm vision of what I wish to see happen with this land, I want your opinions on what should be done with these foreigners." Yoshimoto had asked the delegation of lord present.

"My Lord, my clan has dealt with these foreigners for quite some time, I would advise keeping them isolated to certain areas." Yoshinaga said, deciding to speak up.

"I've heard rumors that they take slaves, not just from other lands but from our people as well." Mimura Iechika, the Lord of Bitchu said in response,"

Murmurs of disbelief and anger began to break out among the assembled lords.

"I have heard their priests all report back to some higher authority. I say we expel them. we have their weapons and ships, they serve no purpose here." Matsunaga Hisahide had said to approval

"If that is so, we will investigate this matter. Until then a proclamation shall be made, those who trade in slaves from our people or otherwise are to be executed. These foreigners and their places of worship are to also be registered with the state, and their places of worship must be approved as well. If this slave trade is widespread, or they prove troublesome then they are to be expelled." [3]

"My lord if I may bring a suggestion?" The speaker was Mori Takamoto.

"You may Lord Takamoto." Yoshimoto had replied.

"The ship designs of the foreigners are quite promising. I would like us to invest in using them more frequently. Our current naval forces and tactics are only good for local waters and against each other if we are looking more into the outside world."

"An interesting proposal, but who is going to ensure, that this extends to more than just the Western clans?" Yoshimoto asked?

"The Ouchi and Mori clans, are to share their naval secrets with several other clans. Perhaps it is time we start the process of creating an Imperial Navy?" Ujizane had suggested.

"This proposal has merit. However, I want all lords present to realize that aside from the One Castle system, I want surveys conducted of your provinces populace, any peasants or civilians who are in a militia or guard are the only ones allowed to carry arms. To help remedy this situation people may not leave their villages until five years after their coming of age." [4]

"Lord Yoshimoto I have an idea, I would like to suggest." This speak was Miyoshi Yoshitoki, of Settsu.

"Very well, let us hear it."

I would like to suggest the formation of these mercenary companies, that the foreigners have talked about. Our skills should not dull because we are not fighting each other. Each Province can contribute its own force."

Whispering began to break out among the assembled lords until one voice spoke.

"Lord Yoshitoki, Do you wish to turn us into honorless sellswords?" The speaker was the Uesugi Kenshin himself.

"Lord Kenshin, If that is your concern we will create standards for recruitment, any peasants who are surveyed and belong to large households could join as well as Samurai. Their conduct would be that of any respectful army worth its skill," Yoshitoki said.

Anegakoji Yoshiyori then stood up to make his voice heard. "What of the smaller or poorer provinces, are we simply supposed be marginalized if this new system is created?

"No, if this system is more than just a dream, all provinces are to be a part of it. Provinces with limited resources can work with each other. Contracts are to be managed by each lord, or group of lords as necessary." Yoshimoto had said trying to settle this debate, the idea was unusual but it had its uses.

The Muromachi Conference had ended a few days later, and the laws passed were to be known as the Tensho Laws, as the era of Tensho was proclaimed. [5]

[1] This a modification of the regular attendance system of the Tokugawa which saw each lord have them and their families spend time in the capital at their own expense. Temple registration was another Tokugawa law as well.

[2] Another Tokugawa law, as prior to it Japan's currency largely varied by lord as several lords could mint their own currency, namely the ones with gold and silver mines.

[3] There was a slave trade but it's extent was unknown, and this is before the port of Nagasaki was established, and lent to the Portuguese.

[4] This is a mix of Hideyoshi's land surveys and sword hunts that are slightly restrictive here the peasantry is not baring from carrying weapons entirely. While the idea of Japanese Condotta or contracted troops is an original idea, the Japanese did have a few instances of being mercenaries OTL.

[5] The Era name after the Eiroku period in OTL.

Map of Japan by the Muromachi Conference.

Sengoku nearfin.png

Next update, which is going to be brief I'll provide a more detailed list of who governs what province.

Last edited:
    Part 25: The Unification of Japan, An Opportunity Arrives
  • Now that the ATL Sengoku Era is over, will Japan under the Imagawa Shogunate expand outwards: first to the north by colonizing Ezo (i.e. Hokkaido) then to Karafuto (i.e. Sakhalin Island) though they might need to displace any Russians already living there, then to the entire Kuril Island chain (i.e. the Kuriles) followed by expanding south by "conquering" the Ryukyus (including Okinawa) a tributary state of China much like the Shimazu did in the OTL, then further south to Taiwan and later Hainan? Will Japan under the Imagawa also colonize the Ogasawara Islands (i.e. the Bonin Islands)? Will there be a war between Japan and Joseon (i.e. Korea) much like the OTL Imjin War?

Please let me know. Thank you. :)

The Japanese had already started to colonize Hokkaido, but yes there will be expansion. The Russians have not arrived in Sakhalin yet. Colonizing Taiwan is a possibility, but the Ryukyu's could agitate the Ming. Hainan depends on what happens with the Ming as well. There will not be any thing like the Imjin War at least for the foreseeable future.

August 20th, 1570

Sakai, Izumi Province

Several foreign ships had docked in the harbor, of Sakai

"To think it has come to this, back to this land again, not for glory but for trade. The colonies are a damn mess, and the Philippines may as well be a failure and insult to our king," The old man had said with a weary sigh.

"Grandfather, while it is a tragedy that New Spain had attempted to oust the Cortez brothers and that the Count of Nieva's foolishness saw poor Hernando killed by the Inca, we at least have a chance to head back to those islands again." [1]

"What would happen if we were to win? I get to say to his majesty that his loyal subject Miguel Lopez de Legazpi managed to gain another land for corruption to spread, and angry godless natives to fight?" Miguel saw that his grandson remained quiet. "Prince Carlos leads a rebellion in the Low Countries and the Moriscos have rebelled with Turkish aid. I do not know if God has seen fit to humble us, but for now, we have our mission."[2]

Both men and their guards were escorted to see the Lord of Izumi, Miyoshi Yoshitoki.

"My Lord, wants you to know he is pleased to see you are both safe after, the last time you were here."

"Yes, he has my eternal gratitude for offering us refuge. I have come before your lord to ask for passage to your capital, My King, wishes to open trade with your land."

"Very well, I will let him know."

August 27th, 1570

Excerpt from the journal of Filipe de Salcedo, Kyoto, Yamashiro

We had arrived at the Flower Palace of King Yoximoto, after meeting once again with the Duke Yoxitoki of Izumi. He had welcomed us and we had stayed for several days. The King was interested in trading with our nation but had warned if we had attempted to enslave his people, like the Portuguese we would be forced from the country. In this land, they as well have had problems with religious turmoil, some of their clergies have no religious authority but operate their own temples, with no state religion. In the past they had made war upon each other with their own armies, now the king had demanded their disarmament, and did so by force. The King had made clear that if our priests or the heretics were to cause trouble among the people they would risk expulsion.

The King had agreed to trade with us provided, any priests did not stir up trouble, nor did we participate in enslaving his people. The King is also curious as to what our side of this world is like and expressed the desire to send his own embassy to our lands and others.
    The King himself was a cultured man fond of the arts including this land's tea rituals, poetry, and playing a game called Quemari, where a bunch of players would keep a ball up in the air, by not using any part of their body save their hands. The King had given us a tea kettle to present to His Majesty as a gift.

The King's son and heir Prince Oujizane was also with us, he had a young child with him, presumably his son. The Prince had frequently kept an eye of suspicion on us but was interested in how mercenaries where used in our lands. Apparently, all the lords of the realm were organizing their warriors into smaller companies, and to offer their services as warriors abroad as they did not need so many, with peace having been brought to their land. I could only tell the Prince of how they were organized by contracts, as the warriors of this land do no fight in the same manner as ours, and at one point even their preists had marched to war carrying all manner of arms. They have even adopted firearms and have started to build ships similar to our own.

Map of Japan at Unification under the Imagawa Shogunate.

Sengoku fin.png

Kyushu: South to North
    Satsuma Province: Shimazu Clan
    Osumi Province: Kimotsuki Clan
    Hyuga Province: Ito Clan
    Higo Province: Sagara Clan
    Bungo Province: Otomo Clan
    Buzen Province: Kii Clan
    Chikuzen Province: Tachibana Clan
    Chikugo Province: Kamachi Clan
    Hizen Province: Ryuzoji Clan
    Tsushima Province (Island): So Clan

Shikoku: From East to West
    Iyo Province: Kono Clan
    Awaji Province (Island): Atagi Clan
    Sanuki Province: Sogo Clan
    Tosa Province: Chosokabe Clan
    Awa Province: Asahina Clan

Honshu Main Island
    Regions from West to East

Chugoku
    Red, South to North
    Suo Province: Ouchi Clan
    Aki Province: Mori Clan
    Bingo Province: Sugihara Clan
    Bitchu Province: Mimura Clan
    Bizen Province: Ukita Clan
    Mimasaka Province: Miura Clan
    Inaba Province: Morishita Clan
    Hoki Porvince: Tachihara Clan
    Izumo Province: Amago Clan
    Iwami Province: Honjo Clan
    Nagato Province: Naito Clan

Kansai
    Blue, Counter Clockwise South to North
    Harima Province: Bessho Clan
    Settsu Province: Udono Clan
    Izumi Province: Miyoshi Clan
    Kawachi Province: Hosokawa Clan
    Kii Province: Suzuki Clan
    Yamato Province: Matsunaga Clan
    Iga Province: Morita Clan
    Ise Province: Kitabatake Clan
    Shima Province: Kuki Clan
    Omi Province: Azai Clan
    Yamashiro Province: Imagawa Clan
    Wakasa Province: Awaya Clan
    Tango Province: Isshiki Clan
    Tajima Province: Yamana Clan

Chubu
    Black, Counter Clockwise South to North
    Mino Province: Saito Clan
    Owari Province: Oda Clan
    Mikawa Province: Matsudaira Clan
    Totomi Province Imagawa Clan
    Suruga Province: Imagawa Clan
    Kai Province: Takeda Clan
    Shinano Province: Suwa Clan
    Echigo Province: Uesugi Clan (Adpoted from the Nagao)
    Etchu Province: Jinbo Clan
    Hida Province: Anegakoji Clan
    Noto Province: Hatakeyama Clan
    Kaga Province: Sena Clan
    Echizen Province: Asakura Clan
    Sado Province (Island): Honma Clan

Kanto
    Green, East to West
    Izu Province: Rokakku Clan
    Sagami Province: Hojo Clan
    Musashi Province: Edo Clan (A Branch of the Hojo)
    Kozuke Province: Nagao Clan (The parent clan of Uesugi Kenshin)
    Shimotsuke Province: Utsunomiya Clan
    Shimosa Province: Yuki Clan
    Kazusa Province: Satake Clan
    Awa Province: Masaki Clan

Tohoku

Orange, South to North
    Dewa Province Mogami Clan
    Mutsu Province Date Clan
    Rikushu Province: Kasai Clan
    Ugo Province: Akita Clan
    Sannohe Province: Nanbu Clan

Ezo (Speical Territory)
    Kakizaki Clan

[1] Okay there are a bunch of Spain-related POD's I'm making here the first part covers the colonies The Cortez brothers were the sons of Hernan Cortez who were accused of plotting to gain power in New Spain, allegedly in protest of the New Laws. The New Laws would have weakened the power of the American-born Spanish landowners. In the Spanish colonies, importance was determined by both where one born, and what race they were, as Cortez son's where either born in the Americas or mixed-race their status would be lower than Spanish people from Spain, but still high up in authority.

The Count of Nieva, Diego Lopez de Zuniga, was the fourth viceroy of Peru, and quite corrupt. He is not assassinated, and Titu Cusi, of the Incan state in Vilcabamba, continues his war against the Spanish which did have some success. I've also have had the Spanish colonization of the Philippines fail, in OTL Legazpi manages to take Cebu, and from there the rest of the island chain eventually. They get driven off TTL and end up in Japan.

[2] Don Carlos was the first son of Philp II of Spain, and as befitting the Hapsburgs quite erratic in behavior. He was supposed to be governor of the Netherlands, but an accident saw that go to The Duke of Alba. After the accident, he was worse and had eventually conspired to go to the Netherlands, and join the rebels. His father locked him up and he died. The Morisco Rebellion was a result of the crackdown on Muslim conversos in Spain, as Philip II was firmly Catholic and against heresy, both of these rebellions were bound to happen.

However Carlos was sent to the Netherlands with the Duke as an advisor, they clashed against one another and it led to Carlos trying to stab him as in OTL, he succeeds and is left with no option take refuge among William the Silent, and his conspirators. The Morisco Rebellion has managed to do slightly better, but I'm not going for a complete Spain-screw here.

I hope no one minds the Journal format it just came to me as an idea.

Last edited:
    Map of the World 1570
  • After plenty of painstaking work, I've managed to make a world map. I hope it is suitable considering it's a mix of several map templates of some EU 4 where applicable when those templates were not all that suitable. I've kind of let some POD's run wild, and I hope my choice of map palette and borders are not too bad, and I know for a fact I could put more states in Africa, while the bits of Green are Portuguese bases. Title names are a mix of localized and English.

Okehazama World.png

Europe
    Red: the Kingdom of England ruled by Queen Elizabeth Tudor
    Medium Blue: The Kingdom of Scotland ruled by Queen Mary Stuart
    Blue: The Kingdom of France ruled by King Francis II de Valois-Angouleme [1]
    Yellow: The Kingdom of Spain ruled by King Filipe II von Habsburg
    Lime Green: The Kingdom of Portugal ruled by King Sebastiao Avis
    Brown: The Kingdom of Denmark-Norway ruled by King Fredrick II von Oldenburg
    Dark Blue: The Kingdom of Sweden ruled by Erik XIV Vasa [2]
    Dark Red: the Kingdom of Poland ruled by King Sigismond August Jagiellon
    Orchid: Grand Duchy of Lithuania ruled by Grand Duke Sigismond August Jagiellon [3]
    Light Salmon: The Duchy of Prussia ruled by Duke Albert Fredrick von Hohenzollern (vassal of Poland)
    Dark Green: Tsardom of Russia ruled by Tsar Ivan IV Rurikid
    White: Circassia (held by various chieftains with Ivan's father-in-law Temyruk controlling most of the eastern parts)
    White: Shamkalte of Gazi-Kumukh ruled by Shamkal Chopan
    Forest Green The Ottoman Empire ruled by Sultan Selim II Osmanli
    Cyan: Khanate of Crimea ruled by Khan Devlet Giray (Ottoman Vassal)
    Dark Sea Green: The Kingdom of Hungary ruled by King Janos Zapolya (Ottoman Vassal, Claim Contested by the Hapsburgs)
    Dark Sea Green: The Principalities of Wallachia/Moldavia ruled by Voivode Petru I and IV (Ottoman Vassal) [4]
    Crimson: Possessions of the Austrian Habsburgs ruled by Maximilian II von Habsburg (includes the Archduchy of Austria, and the Kingdoms of Croatia, Hungary, and Bohemia,)
    Turquoise: The Serene Republic of Venice governed by Doge Alvise Mocengenio
    Beige: The Papal States ruled by Pope Puis V

Notable States of the Holy Roman Empire (The rest of the Empire is in gray.)
    Sandy Brown: The Margraviate of Brandenburg ruled by Margrave Joachim II Hector von Hohenzollern
    White: The Duchy of Pomerania ruled by Duke Johann Frederick Griefen
    White: The Duchy of Mecklenburg ruled by Duke Johan Albert von Mecklenburg
    White: The Electorate of Saxony ruled by Elector Augustus Wettin
    White: Prince-Bishopric of Munster ruled by Prince-Bishop John of Hoya
    Slate Blue: Duchy of Bavaria ruled by Albert V of Bavaria
    White: Swiss Confederation
    Fuschia: The Grand Duchy of Tuscany ruled by Grand Duke Cosimo d'Medici
    Olive Drab Green: The Duchy of Savoy ruled by Duke Emmanuele Filiberto di Savoia
    Pink: The Republic of Genoa governed by Doge Paolo Guistani Monegila

Africa

North

Firebrick: Sultanate of Morocco ruled by Sultan Abdullah Al-Ghalib Saddi
    Dark Sea Green: Bey of Algiers governed by Bey (Ottoman Vassal)
    Dark Goldenrod: Hafsid Sultanate ruled by Sultan Ahmad III Hafsid
    Dark Sea Green: Bey of Tripoli Yahya Pasha (Ottoman Vassal)

West Africa
    White: Kingdom of Wolof ruled by Buur-ba Jolof Lat Samba (Technically an empire, but mainly a rump state.
    Indian Red: Empire of Kaabu ruled by Mansa Saraffa Nyaaling Jeenung
    Orange Red: Great Fulo ruled by Gelaajo Tabara Denianke
    Maroon: Empire of Mali (Malian Interregnum)
    Cornflower Blue: The Empire of Songhai ruled by Emperor Daoud Askia
    Sky Blue: Kanem Bornu ruled by King Idris Aluma Sayfawa
    Yellow Green: Hausa States of Gobrir, Katsina, Kano and, Zazzau
    Sandy Brown: Mossi States of Yatenga, Wagadogo, Tenkodogo, Fada N'gourma. Mogo Naga Kimba rules Obritenga which I'm assuming would be the paramount Mossi state of Wagadogo
    White: Akan States (Largely the Kingdom of Dagomba ruled by Ya-Na (King of Strength) Titugiri)
    White: Oyo ruled by Alaffin Orompoto
    White: Benin ruled by Oba Orhogbua Eweka
    Steel Blue: the Kingdom of Kongo ruled by Manikongo Alfonso Kilukeni
    Light Steel Blue: Kongolese vassals, with Portuguese influence in Ndongo in the South.

East Africa
    Dark Gray: Sennar ruled by King Dakin
    Royal Blue: Empire of Ethiopia ruled by Negas Negast Admas Sagad [5]
    Dark Khaki: Harar Amirate ruled by Amir Isman Al-Hibashi Walashma
    White: Sultanate of Warsangali ruled by Sultan Mohamud Warsangali
    Dark Salmon: Kilwa ruled by Muhammad al Adil Mahdali
    White The Kingdom of Mutapa ruled by King Negomo Chirisamhuru

Asia

The Middle East and Central Asia

The Kingdom of Imeriti ruled by King Georgi II Baragatoni (Ottoman Vassal, Shows more influence than he actually had)
    Yellow-Green: The Sultanate of Iraq ruled by Bayezid III Osmanli [6]
    Tan: The Imamate of Yemen ruled by Imam Al-Mutahar [7]
    Midnight Blue: The Sultanate of Oman ruled by Abdullah bin Muhammad Nabhan
    Khaki: The Safavid Empire ruled by Thamsap Safavid
    Olive Drab: Khiva ruled by Khan Hadji Muhammad Arabshahid
    Sandy Brown: Bukhara ruled by Khan Iskander Shaybanid
    Chocolate: Kazakh Khanate ruled by Khan Khak Nazar
    White: Nogai Khanate ruled by Khan Din Ahmad Ediguid
    White: Sibir Khanate ruled by Khan Kuchum Shaybanyid

Indian Subcontinent

Northwest India

White: The Kingdom of Ladakh ruled by King Singye Namgyal
    White: Sultanate of Kashmir ruled by Sultan Ali Shah Chacki
    White: The Kingdom of Gharwhal ruled by King Sahaj Pal
    White: Nepal (Technically divided into two Kingdoms of Kantipur and Bhaktapur ruled by Mahendra and Vishva Malla respectively)
    Purple: The Mughals led by Mirza Muhammad Hakim Timurid [8] (Definity read this as the POD for this has plenty of knock-on effects)
    Dark Salmon: Sultanate of Sind ruled by Sultan Mirza Muhammad Baqi Tarkan
    Indian Red: Guarajat ruled by Muzzafar Shah III Muzzafarid
    White: The Kingdom of Kutch ruled by Rao Khengarji Jadeja
    White: The Kingdom of Nawanagar ruled by Jam Shahib Shiri Rwalji Jadeja
    White: The Kingdom of Shihora ruled by Visoji Sartanji Gohil

Rosy Brown: Rajput Kingdoms from East to West (Only for the Rajput states of what would be Rajputana, otherwise I could have used the same colors for the previous three states before this list and the one after, as they are ruled by Rajputs)
    The Rajput Kingdom of Jaisalmer ruled by King Harraj Singh
    The Rajput Kingdom of Marwar ruled King Chandrasen Rathore
    The Rajput Kingdom of Mewar ruled by King Udai Singh II Sisodia
    The Rajput Kingdom of Hadoti ruled by Surjan Singh Hada-Chauan

Northern Central and North East Indian Subcontinent
    Cadet Blue: The Kingdom of Malwa ruled by Sultan Baz Bahadur Shuja'atid
    Light Yellow: The Kingdom of Gondwana ruled by King Vir Narayana Raj Ghond
    White: Odisha Statelets
    White: The Kingdom of Odisha ruled by King Mukunda Deva
    White: The Kingdom of Orchha ruled by Madhukar Shah Bundela
    Royal Blue: The Kingdom of Bengal ruled by Sultan Ghiyat al-din Jalal Suri
    Navy Blue: The Kingdom of Assam ruled by King Sukhaampa Ahom

Southern Indian Subcontinent
    Violet: The Deccan Sultanates of Ahmednagar, Berar, Bidar, Bijapur Golconda
    Respectively ruled by Sultans Hussein Nizam Shah, Tufail Khan, Ali Barid Shahi, Ali Adil and Ibrahim Qutb Shah
    Goldenrod: Vijayanagara Empire ruled by Sadasiva Raya Tuluva [9]
    Gold: Mysore led by Chamaraja III Wodeyar (Vijayanagara Vassal)
    Gold: Kingdom of Venad ruled by King Kesara Rama Varma II Perumal (Vijayanagara Vassal)
    Gold: the Kingdom of Kochin ruled by Aditya Varma Cheraman (Vijayanagara Vassal)

Ceylon
    White: Jaffa ruled by king Puviraja Pandaram Aryacakravarti
    White: The Kingdom of Kotte ruled by King Dharmapala Sri Sanga Bo (Contests control of Ceylon with the Kingdom of Sitakawa)
    White: The Kingdom of Sitakawa ruled by King Mayadune Sri Sanga Bo
    White: The Kingdom of Kandy ruled by King Karaliyadde Sri Sanga Bo (Nominal vassal of Kotte)

East Asia
    Turquoise: Imagawa Shogunate ruled by Shogun Imagawa Yoshimoto
    Tan: Ming Dynasty led by Emperor Zhu Longqing
    Blue-Violet: Kingdom of Joseon led by King Yi Seonjo
    Northern Yuan Dynasty led by Tumen Zasagt Khan Borjigin
    Pale Turquoise: the Kingdom of Guge ruled by Namkha Wangchuk
    Silver: the Kingdom of Utsang ruled by Karma Tseten Tsangpa
    Peach Puff: the Kingdom of Derge ruled by Namkha Derge
    White: Oirats ruled by Khan Bataar Choros
    Gray: Khanate of Yarkand ruled by Khan Abdul Karim Khan
    Pale Violet: Dai Viet (Mac Dynasty usurpers) ruled by Mac Mao Hop
    Moccasin: Nguyen-Trinh Alliance led by Nguyen Kim and Trinh Kiem(Self-interested supporters of the Le Dynasty of Dai Viet whose current Emperor is Le Anh Tong)
    Coral: Lan Xiang ruled by Setthathirath Khun Lo
    White: the Kingdom of Khmer ruled by King Barom Reachea
    Lime Green: The Kingdom of Athyuhaiya ruled by King Maha Chakraphatt [10]
    Dark Orange: The Kingdom of Lan Na ruled by Wisutthathewi Mangral (Vassal of Taungoo)
    Cadet Blue: The Kingdom of Taungoo ruled by King Bayinnaung Taungoo
    White: The Kingdom of Mrauk U ruled by King Sekkya

Indonesia
    White: Sultanate of Pattani ruled by Sultan Manzur Shah Sri Wangsa
    White: Sultanate of Kedah ruled by Sultan Muzdaffar Shah Kedah
    White: Sultanate of Perak ruled by Sultan Mansur Shah Malaaca-Perak (When Malacca was conquered by the Portuguese, it's royal family split in two factions)
    Cyan: Sultanate of Johor ruled by Sultan Alauddin Riayat Shah II Malacca-Johor
    Saddle Brown: Sultanate of Ache ruled by Sultan Alauddin al-Kahar
    Plum: Sultanate of Brunei ruled by Sultan Saiful Rijal Bolkiah
    (The next two states get weird they trace their both lineage to Syarif Hidayatullah more famously known as Sunan Gunungjati who apparently lived from 1448 to 1568 as he founded both states, and apparently came from Egypt.)
    Maroon: Sultanate of Banten ruled by Maulana Hasanuddin Azmatkhan (Hashemite)
    Sienna: Sultanate of Cirebon ruled by Sultan Pangeran Maz Azmatkhan (Hashemite)
    Navajo: Sultanate of Pajang ruled by Sultan Joko Tingur
    White: the Kingdom of Blambagan ruled by King Satanguna
    White: the Kingdom of Bali ruled by King Dalem Bekung
    White: the Kingdom of Gowa ruled by Tuni Djallo (on Sulawesi)

[1] Francis II survives in this timeline, as a consequence Mary is still Queen of Scots.

[2] Eric XIV does not go insane and is not deposed by his brother John.

[3] I've given Sigismund August a legitimate child, which keeps Lithuania at least for now still separate from Poland.

[4] As a "Romanian" POD Moldavia was wracked by turmoil in the early 1560's, the Muscat dynasty was plagued by two usurpers, the second of which Stefan Tomsa faced in invasion by Petru of Wallachia whose mother was Moldovian princess. Here Petru succeeds, with the support of Suleman and later Selim II is allowed to keep Moldavia as Petru IV.

[5] Ethiopian Emperor Admas Segad known as Prince Menas manages to defeat his rebellious subjects and maintains his power, so he lives past 1563.

[6] Referenced earlier on, Prince Bayezid manages to not be killed by Shah Thamsap and returns to the Ottoman Empire to cause trouble with their help, taking the name Bayezid III.

[7] Yemen was hard to control for the Ottomans and for a long time were to reduced to being a nominal authority in the area, and almost driven out. Selim II writes Yemen as a loss, as he has bigger problems to deal with.

[8] A major POD for North India is that Akbar confronted his step-brother Adam Khan for killing an Uzbek rival, OTL Akbar met his excuses with a punch, here Adam Khan and Akbar get into a fight with Adam Khan killing him and the Mughal Empire is yet again thrown into chaos. The Sisodia and Rathore Rajput clans strike at Mughal controlled rivals, the Sisodia reclaim Ajmer and defeat the Kawacha Rajputs further north. Baz Bahadur reclaims Malwa as OTL but remains in power. The Suri dynasty of Bengal strikes West in the chaos and reclaims some of their former empire remaining in power in the process. Eventually, Akbar's younger brother comes of age and manages to reclaim parts of the Empire.

[9] The Vijayanagara Empire suffered a disaster at the battle of Talikota, here they manage to win, remaining a strong presence in Southern India.

[10] The alliance against Taungoo is formed by Athuyahya and Lan Xiang, and not ruined by Maha Chakraphatt's desire for a different princess.

Last edited:
    Part 26: The Red Seal Ships and the Alliance of Cadiz
  • Kyoto, Yamashiro Province

September 27th, 1570

Shogun Yoshimoto was waiting for news from his son Ujizane on the nations new established trade, as well as the chance to use their new Western-style ships to explore what seems to be a larger world than they realize.

"Father, the Red Seal ships have been deployed, and have begun trading with Joseon and the nations down in the southwest."

"Excellent, What about the plans for the embassies?" Yoshimoto had asked knowing it was a major plan in the making

"Several of the minor Kirishitan lords are considering sponsoring an embassy with the Nanban help, while Lord Yoshinaga has raised an idea to meet with the Ming Emperor, to restore relations."

"Hm, have we received any word on the foreigners in Ouchi employ, surely they must have information the traders do not intend to tell us?" Yoshimoto asked.

"Yes, one sailor says he comes from the city of Napuli. Upon further questioning his lord, This Rei Firipu of Ezpana, lords over many lands both to the west of us and even to the east. Another sailor served under the Rei Sebasutian of Porutogaru, they also have many distant lands. There is another sailor from Oranda who mentions some kind of religious conflict between the Kirishitan sects." [1]

The Shogun had absorbed the information with a curious look on his face. "Interesting, I would like to approve both, but I want both parties to meet with me first."

Very well, Father, I will inform them of your decision.

February 8th, 1571

A large assembly of lords and their retainers had gathered in front of Shogun Yoshimoto. Chief among them Ouchi Yoshinaga, Omura Sumitada, and Arima Harunobu

"Lord Yoshinaga, why are you interested in this venture?"

My Lord, I believe we ought to make this embassy a show of our strength and our prosperity. I believe the Shimazu could handle the mission to China, but we have managed without their help."

"I would argue we ought to know more about what these lands could bring to us, as well.”

"Then if you are looking to make a memorable first impression then what better way than to send emissaries of the Rei of Amanguchi himself.”

"That was what you were known to these foreigners as." asked Yoshimoto?

"Yes to them, many Daimyo would have been more equivalent to their Reis, strong independent authorities or at least so they say. Many of these foreigners had come to Yamaguchi, with their priests and traders had spread stories of my lands back to their own, and possibly to others. Harukata was always wary of their intentions then again, he was wary of everyone. The more information we have learned the more concerning it is, they take and enslave people from other lands, one such man had arrived in my lands. May I bring him in?" [2]

"Yes, send him in."

A young man had arrived in light gray armor but had black skin, drawing looks from almost all attended. The man kneeled in front of Yoshimoto "Lord Yoshimoto."

"What is your name, and how exactly did you end up here?" Yoshimoto had asked.

"I am called Yisake Sakaie in your language, I was captured and enslaved by these strange men as a child, you know them as the Portogaru, and forced me aboard one of their ships. I arrived here after the ship I was on crashed and eventually found my way into my lord's service." [3]

"Why did they enslave you, and how do you know of our language?" Ujizane asked.

"I was kept to serve one of the priests as a servant, but I've heard of others being sent off to work on plantations, in the lands far east of here. As for your language, I was helped by some of the others."

"I am deeply saddened to hear of your previous fate, I hope things have changed for the better here?"

"Indeed they have Lord Yoshimoto, I serve my Lord as a hatamoto it is far preferable to serving on that ship again."

"That is good to hear, you may return to your lord."

"That is concerning they want to infiltrate our society and spread their faith, but they no qualms about enslavement and violence. They are far from home, and we should remind them of that. We will keep these people from the distant lands at arm's length, I find this voyage acceptable, but I want you to ensure there are no diplomatic incidents, so bring your most trusted retainers."

"We still need time to plan this expedition, and to hear back from Ezpana."

The lords began to file out, leaving only Yoshimoto and Ujizane. "Father, even if we are to visit these lands what should we expect anything more than to be regarded as curiosities, or to be used in their local struggles?"

"No, it seems to be the way of this new world. So long as we are not the ones being used, we should be able to weather this wider world."

April 8th, 1571

Cadiz, Spain

Four groups of men sat in a secluded room in the Church of San Francisco.

"My majesty is glad you all could all attend, I am Antonio Perez on behalf of his majesty King Filipe II of Spain." [4]

"On behalf of his majesty Sebastiao of Portugal I am the Revered Enrique, Archbishop of Lisbon." [5]

"I am Brahim ibn Yahya, I serve Sultan Ahmad Ibn Muhhamad Bannu Hafs."

"I am Yakub ibn Muhammad, I am here on behalf of my master Sultan Abdullah Al-Ghalib Billiah Ibn Mohammad Bannu Saddi. [6]

"I hope Cadiz is to your liking gentlemen, it has seen better days as it is recovering from a recent fire." Antonio said.

"It is actually quite pleasant, it reminds me of Tunis." said Brahim in a calm tone.

"Hmph speak for yourself, this place has nothing on Marrakesh." Yakub said slightly irritated,

"I prefer Lisboa myself, but Cadiz has its charm." The Archbishop remarked with disintrerest. I suppose we were called for more than to just talking about our favorite cities, our lieges wished to talk of an alliance, yes?"

"Yes, Your Eminence. To get to the point, my King desires a larger alliance against the Turk, However, for a diverse group such as ourselves, it will not be easy."

"You are right. My Sultan's father may Allah have mercy on him, while he did not care for the Turks, however, he did drive out the Portuguese as well," Yakub said looking towards Enrique. "How can we trust that your King will not attack us again?"

"My King is a servant of the Lord Jesus Christ, he will fight whoever that God may will." Enrique replied sharply.

"Perhaps you two would be open to compromise? Brahim interceded with a question. "My Sultan wants those vultures removed by any means, and would be willing to put aside his dislike of this situation, as he does not have much in the way of luxury to pick and choose his friends. However be warned, we will not tolerate your King's mistreatment of our brethren be they religious or cultural, even if we are vassals to him." Brahim said, gesturing towards Antonio.

"The situation here is unfortunate, but I believe I can persuade My Liege to take a more lenient stance."

"So is your majesty to betray everything we are fighting for by show lenience towards heretics?" Enrique gave Antonio a harsh look.

"Your Eminence, does King Sabastian have to deal with widespread heretics, rebellious sons, and general affairs on the continent? If so he has my condolences. If not, how can a man who lives in the safety of relative isolation in a city, lecture the man who must deal with living near a busy plaza? They are sacrifices my King must make because there are some luxuries wealth cannot afford."

"He does not, so I see your point even if I do not approve of it," Enrique's tone softened. "It seems The Turkish Sultan's grasp does not discriminate, he had meddled in our affairs in the ocean of the Indies, while he makes trouble even at your doorsteps," Enrique said looking at both Yakub and Brahim. "Greed is a sin and one that must be repaid. I will see if My King is willing to accept those lost cities, as lost I am sure I can convince him of the value of this endeavor."

"Thank you." A small smile had graced Yakub's face before it turned solemn "My Sultan's father was poisoned by these bastards, and his uncles lie scheming in Istanbul waiting to take the throne, I will tell my Sultan the news and he should accept. If Selim wishes to act like a thief we shall take his hand as is the proper punishment,"

"That is too lenient Sadiq, the stump of a hand still may touch your land, I prefer we take the entire arm. We will accept as well." Brahim said.

An agreement that would be known as the Alliance of Cadiz would be formed from this church, as allies not by choice but convenience sought to halt and possibly repel Ottoman influence in their immediate area.

[1] More transliteration which should be obvious, Oranda in particular, is the Japanese term for Holland.

[2] The Europeans tended to see the Daimyo as kings, ie Otomo Yoshiaki was known as the Rei of Bungo. Here I'm using the inverse for Japan to make sense of the West

[3] An ATL version of Yasuke, the African Samurai in the employ of Oda Nobunaga. Yasuke's OTL origins are disputed some think he came from as far north as Sudan as one of the Dinka people due to his very dark skin color or Ethiopia with Yasuke or Yisake as a translation of Issac, or as far south as Mozambique, even with a theory he was a member of the Yao people, but that seems unlikely. Here Yasuke is a Somali man named Zacharias from the Somali clan Isaac

[4] Antonio Perez was a member of the Filipe II's government and a member of the faction that called a more federalized Spain, with more compromise in contrast to the Duke of Alba's harsher more centralization oriented faction.

[5] OTL the last Aviz King of Portugal, and uniquely a Cardinal-King at that, he helped champion Jesuit influence in Portuguese overseas. I was unsure who else to use to represent a Portuguese statesman.

[6] Both men are fictional.

Apologies if it has been a while, feel free to leave feedback.

Last edited:
    Part 27:The Longqing Embassy Takes Shape, The State of England, and The Birth of a Japanese Navy
  • Beijing, Beizhili Province, Ming Dynasty

April 28th, 1571

It was the fourth year of the reign of Longqing Emperor. Zuli Yizhao of the Ministry of Rites was with Yan Shifan, a longterm ally, and Hai Rui a Secretary within the Ministry of Revenue. They formed an informal faction of sorts, reluctantly in the case of Yan Shifan, both to encourage a more proactive stance in the world, and to act as a check against Gao Gong and Zhang Juzheng. On this rare occasion, both factions met to discuss an issue that concerned them all, the raids of Altan Khan. [1]

"This is preposterous, his majesty is the Son of Heaven, yet he wants to negotiate with barbarians? Why can we not drive them back to the steppes where they belong?" Yizhao was outraged, that this attack on the capital, was met with calls for peace.

"Our Majesty feels there are larger concerns, not that I disagree with you, for once. Speaking of barbarians, your people have sent word they wish to send an emissary to negotiate a trade agreement and possibly normalize relations again," Gong glared at Yizhao.

“Petty insults aside, we should be wary. Yizhao said in general but was staring back at Gao Gong. "This Mufu could be a much different state than the state ruled by my family,” [2]

“Do you believe they could be a threat?” Hai Rui said to break the tension.

“I do not know, if Mufu Yaoximoto has reigned in the clans, then it would not be a country only in name anymore,”

“Would that make them a threat?” Shifan asked

“If Barbarians that march on the capital and are not deemed a threat by bureaucrats, then I suppose neither would they,”

Gong's eyes narrowed. "I want a serious answer. Aside from pirates, or pirates who take your people's name, the Wa have hardly given us trouble. Yet now we've heard rumors of them preparing to send warriors off to fight as sellswords, they could be spies as a prelude to an invasion at worst, or occasional warriors on our enemies side at best.

"My home suffered non-stop warfare, it seems the new Mufu knows of this problem is giving them shall we say creative outlets for excess soldiery. What Yaoximoto intends to do is hard to say,"

"Perhaps we should accept their offer and send an embassy to go explore their lands?" Rui suggested.

"If that is so who do you wish to send?"

"Hm Meng Cong could do something useful since has the emperor's ear, and have him send Chen Lin here,"

Yan Shifan quickly moved towards Yizhao. "There is a young man I want you to summon a young man by the name of Gu Xiancheng, he is quite young but remarkably intelligent, make sure he goes along for the journey," [3]

London, England

May 6th, 1571

Elizabeth of England was in her own personal chambers, she was waiting for Lord Cecil to arrive, to discuss recent events on the continent, and the ever-present question of Ireland. These sacrifices have been most tiresome, to think he promised me petals of gold yet I see naught but blades of steel, I suppose this does take me from the burden other fruitless courtships, all of this to prevent England from being encircled, yet is to be bound with Sweden. A consequence of what appears to be a union between Scotland and France, and being afflicted with the pox. At least My Love had the decency to keep visiting even after the birth of Gustav, even after their fights over how he would be raised. [4]

Ah her little Gus, so lively and energetic, apparently he was much like his grandfather, much to the chagrin of one of his tutors Nils. Elizabeth wondered what her father might dislike more, the fate of her dynasty her being Queen included and the prospect of a union of England with that of Sweden, or that his grandson isn't an Edward or a Henry, or that England's fate rests on her cleaning up his mistakes. Elizabeth was stirred from her thoughts by the arrival of Lord Cecil.

"Your Majesty," Cecil said bowing.

"What news has the Lord Deputy sent from Ireland?"

"Our attempts to understand their local laws and create a series of compromise system between their system and ours has run into some problems. We have allowed for an elective inheritance of their newly added titles but with more formality to the elective system, and a ban on armed conflict to settle disputes. However, we have heard from Earl O'Neil himself about the actions taken against him," [5]

Elizabeth put her hand to her temple. "Is there any good news from this accursed island?"

"Yes, Baron Devlin has helped provide us with an understanding of the laws of the Irish, although I do not see why we should compromise with them, and their backward ways,"

"It is terrible enough that my Catholic subjects are not pleased with the concessions I've made, but at least they not rebelled. Gustav's birth has at least kept the peace, as putting my cousin on the throne would leave the Isles to the mercy of the French, and no one sees it fit to plot against me for that price. However, we cannot afford to make enemies of the Irish, it would be too easy to rally them against us, and would ruin any chance of pacifying the island without serious bloodshed," [6]

"I will send word to the Irish Parliament, to keep you appraised of any new developments, have you considered "King" Carlos's offer?"

"I am wary, he's rash but seems to have managed to gain the support of local nobles both Luthern and Papist. The prospect of dividing the Hapsburgs could at least keep us with a common cause with France and Scotland, for now," Elizabeth let out a sigh. "How does one make certainty out of uncertain times?"

Muromachi Palace, Kyoto

July 7th, 1571

Miyoshi Yoshitoki's plan for sending an expedition to the Southwest islands had caught the attention of the Shogun. To better streamline the process Yoshimoto had decided to consider the creation of a Ministry of the Navy. Various clans with prominent roles in trade, shipbuilding, and fighting piracy, or near strategic enough waterways where invited to Kyoto

All clans that hade thus far conducted trade with Joseon, Ming, and the Western Foreigners, were to have one designated port for trade, any other clan here may apply for a designated port. Piracy and supporting it for whatever reason were outlawed if any evidence is to emerge of it, those who also allowed it to happen were to be put to death. Diplomatic missions were to be approved only by the Shogun. All clans a part of the Ministry of the Navy where also expected to furnish the administrative support necessary to run the organization.

The Ministry itself would be further divided into a Deputy Left Minister and a Deputy Right Minister each would have separate responsibilities. The Shimazu, So, Ryuzoji, Otomo, Ouchi, Mori, and Kono, clans formed the Left Ministry. The Sogo, Asahina, Udono, Atagi, Miyoshi, Kuki, Oda, Matsudaira, Hojo, and Satomi, along with the Imagawa clan's lands in Suruga and Totomi were to form the Right Ministry.

The Left Naval Ministry was largely responsible for trade with Ming and Joseon, and any foreigners who would go to Yamaguchi. The Right Naval Ministry was focused on the possibility of exploration of the West, and possible traders from the West as well. However, both branches were expected to fight pirates, provide transportation for the newly established Red Seal Units, and approved colonial ventures.

To placate the smaller clans the ministers would be selected at the behest of the Shogun, for a fixed six-year term. The first Minister of the Navy was Mori Takamoto, with Shimazu Yoshihisa as Deputy Left Minister, and Kuki Yoshitaka as Deputy Right Minister.

Map of the Clans of the Ministry of the Navy 1571
    Navy.png

[1] Zuli Yizhao is Ashikaga Yoshiaki, Yan Shifan is the son of Yan Song whose political career survived a little bit longer with Yoshiaki's help. Hai Rui was an official who protested the Jiajeng Emperor. Gao Gong and Zhang Juzheng were patrons of Ming Dynasty politician Xu Jie and politicians in their own right. I had to translate Japanese into Chinese by conversion of characters to the best of my knowledge.

[2] Mufu is Chinese for tent government, which is what the term Bakufu or shogunate means, but they were quite different from each other, the Mufu being for provincial administration from bureaucrats than the hereditary military governments in Japan.

[3] Chen Lin was the closest I could find to a Chinese naval commander of the Ming Dynasty, while Gu Xiangcheng would become a famous reformer bureaucrat.

[4] In OTL King Eric XIV of Sweden was one of Elizabeth's suitors, he had his brother John throw out petals of silver, with a note to Elizabeth saying he could give her petals of gold. TTL they actually marry and have a son.

[5] Ireland could be compared to the Sengoku Era of Japan in perhaps far too many ways to count. English control over Ireland was nominal outside of an area called the Pale. Real power laid with the Irish clan chiefs that ranged from the regional Lords who accepted Surrender and Regrant to more traditional clan heads, came to power via tanistry. Surrender and Regrant was an attempt to curb traditional Irish politics where succession was based on elections through a very large selection of family members, and the use English law over native Irish law. English control only really started to mean something after the Flight of the Earls in 1607.

Earl O'Neil, in this case, refers to Sean O'Neil who instead of both being refused the title of Earl of Ulster, and ending up killed in 1567, both is Earl and lives. Sean O'Neil was the firstborn son of Conn O'Neil who accepted the English title of Earl of Ulster from Henry VIII but had passed that title on to his recognized son Mathew. Sean has both consolidated his control in Ulster and is recognized as Earl O'Neil.

[6] Religion in England was difficult, Henry VIII broke England off of the Roman Catholic Church only in 1534, leaving the Church of England as basically Catholicism light that did not answer to the Pope, but not too reformed either. Under Edward VI from 1547-1553, the Church took on a more Reformist element, while from 1553-1558 it went back to Catholicism under Mary.

Since Francis II is not dead and as a consequence, his wife Mary Queen of Scots is Queen of France as well, Elizabeth is left without Mary being considered a realistic Catholic claimant lest France and the British isles sit with one head, having to navigate a political minefield of religion and political authority. Elizabeth having an heir means it is not a simple matter to just try and replace her with a Catholic anymore, at least without trying to kill Prince Gustav. I'm also using to butterfly away the Northern Rising, and Elizabeth's excommunication as a consequence. Granted now England has to deal with a union with Luthern Sweden.

As a question to anyone reading, is my recent emphasis on places outside of Japan, annoying, halfbaked, or anything of that sort?

Last edited:
    Part 28: Preparing the Tensho Expedition, The First Red Seal Unit Mobilizes
  • September 5th, 1571

Yamaguchi Palace Castle Town, Suo Province

Sue Harukata had made his way to a local tavern, he knew some of his future crew, and it was a good a time as any to meet them.
    "Lord Harukata, you are drinking with us?"

"Yes, I suppose if I am going to be stuck with the "honor" of being ambassador to a bunch of foreigners, I should at least commiserate my miseries with the crew,"

"Yeah!," Several cheers and shouts came from the patrons, some of whom Harukata recognized as his soon to be crewmates.

Harukata was soon joined by an unexpected guest. A foreign priest by the name by name of Tomas. Harukata had cared little for the man's faith, but he was supposed to come along with a local monk by the name of Bansho.

"You are not the only one who does not want to go on this journey, 'friend'. My work here is far too important

"Ah Father, upset we will find worse things about your religion than that peculiar form of cannibalism you and your people practice?" Harukata remarked to the laughter of the establishment.

"The Blessed Sacraments of Our Lord and Savior, are not cannibalism!" Tomas's words drew more laughter. "To think I left my home to spread the word of the Lord, only to come back home to spread the word of a different Lord. I personally hate being presented as some kind of exotic ornament, hmph, this must be how my sister felt,"

"I'll assume your sister is a much more pleasant person to be around, and call it a grave tragedy. Noticing that many of the patrons found should we head somewhere else?"

"No, there is nothing sensitive to talk about with this damned journey. Any news on the preparations for this voyage from Lords Sumitada and Harunobu?"

"Yes they are not exactly happy of with my Lord's actions they wanted to only head to Ezpana and then to Roma, turning this embassy into a tour of the Western lands was not on their agenda at all, speaking of Ezpana what news from them? I take it they are not fond of us visiting heretics as well?"

"They find this whole expedition quite ambitious, but so long there are trade opportunities to be had, and no alliances are made with heretics, they will not try to stop us,"

"What exactly is the importance of this conflict against these heretics, and why is this Rei so afraid of them?"

"It is more than a conflict between states, it is a battle of faith that could see our very society broken. The Church has been the single most unifying power for guidance back home for centuries, and these heretics seek to destroy all that. There are both true believers convinced that what they do is correct, and those who embrace spiritual damnation for their own worldly power and fight their brothers in arms. The last thing the Rei of Ezpana needs is aid for his enemies from abroad"

"Hm if this catastrophe for society means this sect of yours loses power than you priests are quite humorous. You claim to be men of faith, yet are certainly pre-occupied with the world. Hypocrisy aside, we only care for trade, the merchants from your lands did not seem to care who they trade with, and neither shall we. However, how are we going to trade if we do not where we are going?"

"That is simple at least, we are to head through Akaparuko and head through Nueva Ezpana. From there we would need to travel again by ship to Europe, and plan our travels from there, but what about the crew are they ready? This is a diverse mission, and while I can attest to Antun, I do not trust Yisake," Before Tomas could continue Harukata raised an eyebrow. [1]

"You doubt my Lord's own Hatamoto? I find that the young man is rash but trustworthy, and I find enslaving potentially good warriors to be a waste," Tomas suspected there was more than indifference in Harukata's words. "What of the other foreigners?"

"I only know a few of the others from the shipwrecks, but they at least know the ship, I take it the rest of your men are preparing as well?

"Yes, most of the crew has experience with these vessels when they served in my Lord's navy, but I say we should keep some men on the Red Seal Ships so they are at least used to being outside of these waters,"

"At least we will not die of a lack of preparation, but hopefully we will have plenty of food?"

"Will, you and your people eat us if we do not?" Harukata asked in a false sense of curiosity.

No, I never knew you were planning to become court fool, Harukata Mr. Masaie, can you get me some of your best?" Tomas asked.

October 8th, 1571

Odawara Castle, Sagami Province

Two men stood at a local merchant quarter in Odawara's Castle town, one a local man, the other a man with light red skin that made him stand out.

"Ah hello my name is Juan, I come on behalf of my majesty to trade. I've heard this land has many things for sale and am interested to sew, what is here," The other merchant noticed something seemed odd with Juan's voice

"Well I am Haru, what exactly did you have in mind?"

"He might find these tea sets quite lovely, but warriors seem to be something my majesty could use,"

Haru's eyebrow rose slightly. "I will have to talk to my lord, but gathering an army will take some time,"

Haru had left, leaving Juan alone. As he was approached by another red skinned man.

"Ataw, can this scheme of yours actually work?" This new man asked.

"It might if Inti wills it so, Runtu. If we must leave soon tell the crew I intend to stay to gather aid against our King," Juan, or Ataw replied.

"I will do so. May Mama Qucha watch over us on our journey's back home," Runtu said before moving to embrace the man before he left.

Sometime later Haru had returned with armed guards. "My Lord demands that you meet with him immediately," Haru said with a worried look in his eyes.

Ataw had entered Odawara Castle, he noticed that it was as impressive on the inside as it was outside. He soon found himself bowing before the lord of the castle Hojo Ujimasa, and his advisors.

"So, you and your ruler wish to hire my countrymen as warriors, for what purpose?"

"To end a lengthy conflict over the ocean to the East of this Island. This land is far but, my lord is willing to provide payment for their service as soon as they meet with his representative there,"

"Your lord cannot end it himself?" Ujiyasu had heard conflicting reports of this Ezpana, one of a powerful lord yet beset by troubles by others.

"While I admit it is an interesting offer, I want to confer with my councilors on this matter, I cannot accept this offer in good faith, on my own. However you will have a response in the coming days,"

"Thank you Lord Ujimasa," Ataw had bowed and then left.

"We have the men and this would be a good chance for glory overseas," Hojo Tsunashige, Hojo Ujimasa's adopted brother military advisor said.

"We would need ships for travel and inform the Shogun of this offer. we would have to make sure we are not simply just sending people to their deaths. It appears this Won must wait," said Matsuda Norihide another advisor.

"I will send a rider towards Sunpu, if Yoshimoto is not there we will instruct him to head towards Kyoto. Surely the Shogun would want to if see this peculiar system of his could actually work,"

December 8th, 1571

Yamaguchi Palace, Suo Province

Ouchi Yoshinaga had gathered those who would be on the crew of the Ouchi-maru outside of the courtyard of the castle.

"I have unfortunate news. The Shogun intends to send the first Red Seal Unit along with our expedition," Yoshinaga could make out murmurs from the crowd, they were not pleased. "We are not left with much of an option, we along with the Mori are to even send the six ships along for the journey,"

"My lord are we to provide troops as well?" Yoshinaga could tell it seemed less like a question, and more like a statement.

"No, the Hojo came up with this 'wonderful' idea, so they are providing the troops,"

"Lord Yoshinaga, we must try and make contact with the local authorities to let them know, there are two missions heading to the East,"

February 12th, 1572

Lima, Viceroyalty of Peru

Viceroy Diego Lopez de Zuniga, Count of Nieva had received two crewmembers from the ship San Blas Captian Rodrigo de Olivido, and a converso named Felipe. Apparently, a converso who had become a merchant named Juan had made a request for soldiers from Hapon to assist with this rebellion.

"The damned heathens took Cusco and have stopped at San Juan de la Frontera. We have to teach this so-called king and his people a lesson. I will bring this information before the Audenica," Diego said before turning to an attendant. "I want you to see that these men are rewarded for this,"

"Yes Viceroy," the attendant had then left with both Rodrigo and Filipe behind him. Felipe smiled, not for the gold but for the fact, Ataw's plan was working right under the invader's noses.

[1] This was the starting route of the OTL 1613 expedition.

I have to admit I am still entirely unsure how to have this Red Seal Company play a significant force in Peru, in OTL the galleon used in the 1613 expedition had a crew of 180 all told even with 5 it would still be 620 proper soldiers at least even with a 2/3rd ratio.

Last edited:
    Part 29: War Brews in The Eastern Mediterranean, Gifts From The Shogun Are Sent
  • March 18th, 1572

Istanbul, Rumelia Eyalet

Selim II, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, sighed deeply for he had inherited an empire stretched too thin, and it had shown. Perhaps his father was not as great as he had once believed. Yes, they held many lands, but only resulted in many headaches. The Eyalets in Mesopotamia were lost to his brother Bayezid, the so-called Sultan of Irak, and that was where the trouble started. the Habash and Yemen Eyalets had to be abandoned, as his forces were busy dealing with that traitor Bayezid. The Hapsburg infidels have managed to attract the desperate dogs of the Hasafid pretender Caliph and the Saddi sultan in Mauritania, who now use them to save themselves from righteous justice. [1]

Macaristan, in particular, had become had become a stalemate, Yanos has relinquished the crown to the Hapsburgs. That so-called Kayser up north had become a threat as well and could look to threaten their hold in Crimea. Still, there must be a way to gain leverage on the infidels. [2]

There was always Kibris. It was a Venedikli controlled island far too close for Selim's comfort, and it was always a goal of his to take it. His dear friend Yusef was supposed to become ruler of Kibris as well. The sultanate still had a powerful navy and the Venedikli could hardly stop them if they wanted to. Selim had sent for his Grand Vizier Sokollu Mehmet Pasha who had just arrived [3]

"My Sultan,"

"Mustafa I have need of your opinion. I intend to conquer Kibris, considering the fortunes of our sultanate as of late would this be wise?"

"It would keep the western seas in check, and remind the world of our strength, we are diminished, but not weak." The Grand Vizier had responded. Selim knew that Sokollu had wanted to take Kibris as well, but recent events had to be considered beforehand.

"I was of the same mind, ready the fleet and send an ultimatum to the Doge."

"As you wish." Mustafa had left to oversee raising an army.

April 6th, 1572

Sunpu Palace, Suruga Province

Sue Harukata and Saigo Sumitaka had arrived at Sunpu Palace their ships were moored at Kanbara Castle. Ujizane had wanted to prepare some gifts to send the various rulers in the west. Among these gifts where various sets of ceremonial weapons and armor, including finely crafted swords and bows, tea sets and due to Yoshimoto's insistence several Kemari balls. This would be the last stop before receiving the Hojo clan's warriors and finally proceeding towards their journey westward.

[1] Eyalets where Ottoman administrative units. Habash, in particular, was little more than the port of Massawa in Ethiopia, with worse Ottoman fortunes that area has been abandoned.

[2] As in OTL, Janos Zapolaya gave up the crown of Hungary. While Crimea is under close watch and did not sack Moscow due to Russia not being distracted by the Livonian War.

[3] Kibris or the Venetian held island of Cyprus was a tempting for the Ottomans to seize. However TTL, the invasion plans are two years later, due to troubles in the Ottoman Empire.

Last edited:
    Part 30: Arrival to the New World
  • August 19th, 1572 [1]

Acapulco, Viceroyalty of New Spain

Mayor Hernando de Cadiz had received news of six ships sighted off the coast and had arrived toward the port. Gathering a small guard Hernando arrived to see who they were and had sent word to the Viceroy to see if they were hostile. The ships themselves were a mix of both familiar and foreign design, which raised even more questions, and they flew flags that showed either a line and three dots beneath them or an odd-shaped cross.

A ship had immediately docked and out came a man clad in armor, with two swords at his waist, and at his sides stood three men one who appeared to be a priest, and two other men clad in armor, one who looked like one of them, the other one who looked Portuguese.

The group of four had stopped, with the priest moving forward. "Greetings, I am Tomas, I am interpreter on behalf of Imahawa Yoximoto, the King of Hapon who rules in the name of the Emperor Ogimachi. These men are Suay Harucata who owes his service to the Duke of Amanguchi Ouchi Yochinaha and Saigo Sumetaca in service of the Count of Hinoe Arema Sumetada. We are here to conduct trade with and visit the King of Spain himself, along with other nearby lands. The five other vessels are to head towards Lima, on behalf of the viceroy there." The priest had said in fluent Spanish.

"I am Hernando de Cadiz, mayor of this town. I had heard that there would visitors but I did not expect anything this large. I will provide what I can, but I want your guests to be on their best behavior."

"The mayor wants everyone to not cause any trouble for the people." Tomas had said to Harukata.

"Very well, but I hope the rather wealthy looking townspeople will do more than just staring at us." [2]

"That I do not know, hopefully, we not have to stay here long." Tomas had said his dislike of the place was clear, and Harukata noticed.

"What seems so bad about this place?"

"I would rather be back in Ezpana in real civilization, not this poor imitation."

September 12th, 1572

The Oe Maru was heading towards the port of Lima. Its captain was Hojo Ujinori 3rd son of Hojo Ujiyasu. Next to Ujiyasu was the merchant who had asked for their help in the first place Juan.

"Are you certain the authorities know we are coming?" Ujinori had asked.

"Yes, Lord."

A small armed force stood at the docks and there stood its leader, a man with a thick beard and mustache, with a small smile on his face. Jaun had taken the lead and started to talk. "Viceroy, I have managed to bring some warriors from the Far East, they come from the land of Hapon. Their leader is Prince Ouhenore of the House of Hoho." As a look of surprise crossed Diego's face, unexpected to have received this kind of help.

"A prince?" Diego had said aloud before his smile broke out into a grin. "Ha, we will have this so-called emperor defeated soon and order restored! Please tell the Prince I am Diego Lopez de Zuniga, Count of Nieva and Viceroy of this colony in the name of his majesty King Felipe, and it is an unexpected honor to receive him. I can only hope Lima will be to his liking before he sets out to face the heathens. Tell he him and his men to stay a few days before they depart." Diego's voice not once losing mirth.

"My lord, Governor Diego is pleased to see you here and hopes the city is to you accommodation and wants to enjoy a few days here before you should march to confront this enemy." Juan said in a hardly enthusiastic tone.

"Tell him we are honored I inform my brothers and the rest of the crew." [2]

Ujinori had waited for the rest of warriors to gather before explaining their situation, to face this as of yet unknown foe.

[1] The OTL 1613 expedition had taken roughly little more than 3 months to leave from a much northward location in Japan to arrive in the same place. I figured a little more than four months would be fine.

[2] Hojo Ujinori was the 3rd son of Hojo Ujiyasu, at least who was still alive, his 4th and 5th sons were Ujitada and Ujimitsu, who have also come along with him

Last edited:
    Part 31: A Consideration of Colonies, The Sapa Inca Makes His Move
  • September 17th, 1572

Mexico, Viceroyalty of New Spain

The Tensho embassy had arrived in Mexico only a few days ago. Harukata and Sumitaka where discussing their impressions of this colony. [1]

"I cannot say I see the point in a colony this large, and so distant that it relies on administrators from afar. What from what we know back home, the Kakizaki seem just fine in the middle of nowhere." Harukata remarked unimpressed by how this colony was run.

"Yes, but this colony was established over the remains of a conquered people who could be resentful, it would be unfair to make such a comparison. A centralized authority seems prudent enough this far away, or else what would stop far off governors from acting independently?”
    Sumitaka countered.

“The fact that they are going off to distant lands with little to no support. Regardless of what we use for a model for these new lands, it should not be based on this system. This governing council seems to be at odds with the Rei's appointed official. There are even stories the Rei is busy with issues elsewhere. Lord Yoshimoto and more importantly Lord Ujizane will not be as distracted, they would never agree to such conflicting styles of governing.”

"It seems likely Lord Ujizane would be mistrustful. When are we head out to Beracruzu?" Sumitaka replied. [2]

"Hopefully by tomorrow, this city seems quite beautiful, but we are wasting our time here."

August 2nd, 1572

Ayachuco, Viceroyalty of Peru

Hojo Ujinori was encamped with his brothers. Apparently, the one known as the Saipa Inka was leading this army himself. The one named Won was their guide and they were to ambush the Inka.

Two Hours Later

Hojo Ujimitsu was leading the vanguard of the Hojo forces with Won in tow.

“Are you sure this is the right path?” Ujimitsu asked Won.

“Yes, I am certain of that.” Ataw replied.

Hojo Ujinori’s force was surrounded by a force of warriors armed dressed in corse tunics with both guns and horses. Won had kept on moving, before being stopped by Hojo Ujimitsu. [3]

“Are you mad?” Ujimitsu screamed.

“No, I can get us out of this situation.” Ataw said with little fear.

Ataw moved toward the army. He was stopped by a man with a headdress.

“Are you Ataw? The Sapa Inca himself had received word you would be arriving with foreigners from across the ocean.” The man stated.

“Yes, these are the warriors I had mentioned. They do not know the real reason I had brought them here." Ataw replied.

"Very well. inform them of the arrangement, and that we will attack if they refuse." The man's voice did not change.

As Ataw had made his back to the Hojo forces, Ujimitsu signaled for his forces to remain ready.

"So you return unharmed? Why do I have a feeling the reason why will be bad news?" Ujimitsu asked.

"You are right to be suspicious, please send for Lord Ujinori, this is more serious than you may realize. I am not Won, but Ataw agent of the Saipa Inka." Ataw explained.

"Damn it, this is far more than a mere uprising, and we are the pawns." Ataw and Ujimitsu did not have to go far, Ujinori had already made his way toward them.

"Brother, you look like this situation has gotten much worse, but surely that cannot be possible?" Ujinori asked.

"My lord, it has, I did not hire you to fight this rebellion but to fight on behalf of it and the Saipa Inka. The soldiers are there to escort you to him." Ujinori only drew his sword in response making Ataw nervous. "My Lord you must believe me, I would not go through all of this trouble to decieve you into fighting My Lord's enemies, to end up having you killed." Ataw said still remaining nervous remaining nervous.

"Ujimitsu, inform the men we are to continue marching, these warriors are no threat, for now. I do not have an idea what this Saipa Inka expects from us with so few men." Ujimitsu explained.

"That is an answer we will both find out, arranging for your countrymen to come here was my idea I had back in Sagami. The governor did not know of my true allegiances." Ataw's answer was met by Ujinori's stern face.

"So you sent us into a situation that you do know the outcome of!" Ujimistu shouted.

"Brother we are to remain on full alert, perhaps this meeting with the Saipa Inka will not be so bad."

Not far from Ayachuco the Hojo forces arrived at where the Sapa Inca was encamped, where they found themselves stared at with unintelligible whispers breaking out.

The Hojo forces what led to a camp with a force of guards with red cloaks out in front of the tent out stepped a man wearing a headdress with two feathers a multi-colored tunic and on it was a sun. The man also wore a slightly bejeweled cape. Everyone else in the camp bowed before the man, as he started inspecting the Hojo forces. [4]

“You are the one known as Ataw correct?” the man asked.

"Yes, Sapa Inca." The man was the Sapa Inca himself.

"These are the warriors you arrange to travel here? Why are there so few of them?" The Saipa Inka asked

"Yes, it took quite a bit of deception on my end. I had given them the impression they were to put down a small rebellion. In their land of Yapanku the country was divided as various nobles had waged war with each other. The Supreme Commander, who protects the Emperor, has pacified the land and is the real power in the country. The Supreme Commander has allowed his countrymen to fight overseas as hired warriors, so they do not cause trouble back home. The three men in front of you are brothers and sons of the noble house of Hoyo." Ataw explaining as best he could the land and politics of these foreign warriors.

“Do they know who I am?” The Sapa Inca asked.

“No Sapa Inca.” Ataw replied to see a small smile cross the Sapa Inca's face.

"Then announce me to them and that I welcome them here."

"Lord Ujinori, you stand before the Sapa Inca and descendant of the Sun God, Titu Cusi,”

“Tell his majesty, we would have brought gifts had we known we were visiting divine royalty.” Ujinori's remark was sharper than the words suggested. Ataw said the words back to the causing the Sapa Inca to slightly chuckle, who understood there must be a difference in their words even if he could not understand them.

“There is a gift they can give me, the city of Lima. The Governor wants these men to be heroes, he shall have them.

[1] Mexico is what would be known as Mexico City, as that was what Tenochtitlan was renamed to.

[2] Veracruz which is where they would head to Europe from.

[3] It was recorded that the Inca had managed to eventually adapt both guns and horses, Sapa Inca Manco Inca himself was skilled enough to ride a horse into battle.

[4] The dress of the Sapa Inca's tended to be very ornate, with his clothing being made by specialized weavers, and the Sapa Inca never wore the same clothes twice having them burnt after use. The current Sapa Inca is Titu Cusi, one of the sons of Manco Inca who instead of signing peace has kept fighting back against a more poorly run Viceroyalty of Peru.

Last edited:
    Part 32: The Longqing Embassy Enters Kyoto, Treachery Seizes Lima, The Tensho Embassy Arrives in Portugal
  • February 8th, 1572

Muromachi Palace, Kyoto

Shogun Yoshimoto was faced with a rather surprising envoy. The Ming had decided to send an emissary to Japan.

"Lord, I am Chen Lin, I bring a message from the Son Of Heaven himself. The relationship between our peoples has been quite difficult. Piracy and trade disputes that have turned violent have been a problem, and now we are finding out while your country has recently found peace it sends its own warriors off fighting other's wars. The Emperor wishes to inquire what you are country plans to do as he is a peace-loving man who will not tolerate your attempts to stir up trouble if that is your intention?" Chen said sternly.

"No, while there are many of my countrymen who wish to still fight, I would not start a conflict of our own making, I have no desire for land, nor has my people been wronged in any that force would be necessary. These warriors are sent out with a contract to fight for whoever hires them, and no one else. I am aware of that the relationship between our nation's has not been the most peaceful, I want to restore relations, but on our own terms." Yoshimoto said clarifying his intentions.

"I see, the Emperor may not approve of your tone, but at least will be relieved to know you do not intend violence. If we may, can we continue this tomorrow." Chen Lin said formally bowing.

"Yes, I do hope you enjoy your stay in Jingdu." Yoshimoto said in a cordial tone. [1]

"It is a beautiful city." replied Chen, but eager to leave.

Chen Lin was with Gu Xiangchen planning what do next.

"The nerve of this Barbarian, with nothing more than a bunch of so-called cities that are just towns built around fancy piles of firewood they call castles, they would dare to negotiate with the Son of Heaven himself?" Chen said shouting in Gu's direction.

"Calm down, at the very least we know the Wa will not be a threat, but we must inform the Emperor to keep a close eye on them. They are clearly not content with just their islands." Gu said, annoyed at Chen callousness.

"I apologize, I have hated traveling in this land." Chen said apologizing.

"You did say, we would be returning tomorrow, so let us come up with something in the meantime. We have a clarified position which is more than what we had before." Gu explained.

September 1st, 1572

A Celebration had broken out in Lima, the foreign warriors had managed drive off an attack by the Sapa Inca and had arrived as heroes. Hojo Ujinori was feasting with his brothers in the main hall they had stuck to trying to cut up several pieces of meat and eat whatever they could with what the Spanish had seen as a pair of sticks. When they were interrupted by their guide Juan, whispering in Ujinori's ear.

"It is time,"

"Very well tell them to proceed."

"Juan why is the prince being interrupted surely you have thought of things to do I'm sorry governor but several of his men more concerned about what they would do next and wanted me to send him a message.

"Hmph fine."

The gates of Lima were patrolled by a few men but they were soon reinforced by the foreigners most unexpectedly.

"Hey Ruiz, when your shift is over do you want to try your luck with the serving wenches?"

"Perhaps, What do these Haponese want with us?” The foreign warriors stood quietly with grim expressions on their faces. After a brief silence, the foreigners drew their weapons and cut the guards down. Screams and the sounds of violence rang throughout Lima as an Indian army suddenly began to enter Lima.

A messenger ran into the hall where Viceroy and his guests where eating

"Viceroy, Viceroy. The Indians are in Lima!" an exhausted messenger said with little time to catch his breath.

Viceroy de Nieta and most of the guests panicked

"Juan tell the foreigners we are under attack." However, Juan remained silent. "Juan, what in God's name are you doing?"

"Unfortunately Viceroy, I did not hire these foreigners for you."

"You bastard! You-." but as the Viceroy began to Shout Ujinori drew his sword causing the Viceroy to panicked and fall to his knees. several hours have passed and Lima was firmly in Incan hands. the nobles were still kept in the guest hall when the Sapa Inca Titi Cusi arrived.

“Count how are you. I take it the food is quite good even if the reason to celebrate was not quite what you imagined?" The Sapa Inca said with a mocking smile. "Hm is there still anything left to eat, and possibly some wine left, it would be a shame, to arrive at a feast to celebrate my victory with nothing to show for it." Titu Cusi asked one of the servants.

"Yes, yes your highness." one of the terrified servants said before leaving.

"Watch that one." the Sapa Inca said to two guards who responded with a quick nod.

"What do you want, you are not here just to eat." Diego said mustering up the courage to speak.

The Sapa Inca’s smile disappeared. “My country back, and you are going to help. I will allow you to live and you will send a message to your king that I am the Sovereign of these lands and no one else."

December 20th, 1572

Lisboa, Portugal

A ship arrived in the docks bearing a stylized a black cross. Out stepped several foreign men Bearing arms and armor and even including a priest. One of the men himself was native to Lisboa and informed that they were emissaries. This news had reached Sabastiao, the King of Portugal himself who demanded that the representatives of these strangers explain themselves to him.

The strangers were presented in front of the king.

"Your majesty, I am Tomas a priest who is apart of this Embassy on behalf of Imahawa Yoshimoto King of Japon who rules in the name of the Emperor Ohemache. The leader of this Expedition is the Duke Harucata the house of Suay."

the King's gaze remained fixed on the guard that looked like someone from his land or close to it. The guard wore a symbol on the flag on his back that took the shape of five crosses in the form of another cross. I want to know who this man is and why does she wear such a familiar symbol on his armor.

"Your Highness if I may explain myself." the guard said in Sebastiao's language surprising everyone at court.

"You, may."

"I am Antonio a sailor from Lisboa, or Anton Yamaguchi in the language of the foreigners who I now serve. The ship I had served on had crashed in the lands of My Lord Ouchi Yoxinaga, who was a powerful king that allowed Christians to practice their faith. I and the other survivors ended up in his service when I eventually became a knight or something close to it."

"You mentioned lord was a king, what had happened to him?"

"Lord Yoxinaga was eventually engaged in war with King Yoximoto who gained almost full control over Japon after he was defeated, My King accepted being a Duke under his rule. However, King Yoximoto having found out about our people and our neighbors had wanted to send an expedition to visit them the entrusted this task to my liege, who had sent me along to help see that this expedition would be successful." Antonio

"Then what is the purpose of this expedition?" Sabastiao asked.

"I'm afraid Your Highness I cannot say, I shall leave that to the Duke to address."

Tomas repeated this to Harukata.

"Then tell this Rei, that Lord Yoximoto had sent to this expedition for exploration and diplomacy. Harukata had told Tomas.

"The Duke says that King Yoximoto only sent this expedition for the purposes of trade and exploration." Tomas said to the king.

"What gifts does His majesty bring to my court?"

The embassy had sent out sent gifts from the Shogun, including a set of ornate armor, a sword, a tea set and a ball that was made from deerskin with fur facing inside.

"What is the purpose of this strange ball?"

"Your majesty, the king is an avid player of a sport called Quemari, and sent this over to spread it to these new lands."

Several members of the King's court had joined for a demonstration, but the rest of the meeting was quite uneventful.

Later that two Portuguese men were walking side, one young, and the other older.

"Luis I had heard of the Lusiads, and have not yet had the chance to read them, but to think His Majesty would send me along with someone as esteemed as you to record this embassy is something I would have never suspected."

"Please, Diogo there is no need for formality. I'm a simple survivor with a passion to see the life and beauty in all of God's wonders on this earth. Besides, even if his Majesty has provided me a pension, I'd like to think I'm the same man you knew in Goa, besides this 'esteemed' man would not be here without your help." [2]

The two men shared a laugh before they started to pack for their long journey with this strange embassy.

[1] Chinese for Kyoto

[2] These men are Luis de Camoes, a renowned Portuguese Poet, and Diogo de Couto a historian and friend of Luis. Both men had served in Goa in Portuguese India.

Last edited:
    Part 33: The Calm Before the Storm
  • March 29th, 1573

Istanbul, Rumelia Elayet, Ottoman Empire

Sultan Selim had just received a messenger regarding the island of Kibris.

"My Sultan, I bring good news the island of Kibris has mostly fallen, what are the next orders for the fleet?"

"The Vendeliki, will not be alone have the fleet prepare themselves for them, and their allies." The Sultan ordered.

April 3rd, 1573

Madrid, Spain

King Felipe was in his private chamber he was reading a letter, a letter he had read several times over the last hour. It was sent by his son Carlos, the so-called King Karel of the Low Countries.

Father,

I’ve heard you have been blessed with twins it must make my disinheritance from the throne easier. You had promised me the Low Countries and I went there with that fool the Duke of Alba. The Duke had tried to kill me, and I was forced to defend myself. I have found many allies among the Flemish and Dutch. They, unlike you, have faith in my abilities to handle responsibilities expected of a prince, and of a king. [1]

I will be King of the Low Countries if you do not believe I can not become King of Spain. The French and English will support me as well. I do wish to resort to fighting my own father, but I will do so if I must, for I shall not relent.

Felipe was going to read the letter again, but he was interrupted.

"Your Majesty I'm sorry to interrupt but I have grave news, Don Antonio, has just received news a catastrophe has happened in Peru it involves the foreigners who have recently arrived here they apparently helped the Indians take over Lima."

Felipe did not show shock but simply sighed.

'Another grain of sand in the endless desert of disaster.' he thought.

Felipe had left to see Antonio.

"What do we know of this situation?" Felipe asked curtly.

"Not much My King. We only know that the viceroy of Peru had let a converso bring in mercenaries from Hapon, why they helped the Indians attack and seize Lima we do not know, but we do know the Sapa Inca of their lands wants us out of his country." Antonio replied, only for Felipe to fur his brow.

"These Haponese asked to travel towards the Mediterranean sea, near our fleet under my brother. I do not care how just get a message over there about what has happened if nothing else they must have answers as to why they brought mercenaries along with them." [2]

"Yes, my King." Antonio said leaving Felipe alone again.

[1] Don Carlos did not like being given positions with little responsibility, I've tried to use this to best add to his grievances.

[2] King Felipe's brother is John of Austria.

I thought I would make a short update to ring out the New Year.

Last edited:
    Part 34: the Battle of the Gulf of Patras
  • August 13th, 1573

The Mediterranean Sea, Gulf of Patras

A large battle had broken out in the Gulf of Patras, a large Ottoman fleet was facing off against a combined fleet from Spain, Venice, Genoa and various other powers in the Mediterranean. The Fortunado had arrived in the middle of the battle trying to observe what could be called a safe distance near the Geonese wing of the fleet. The Fortunado had largely shadowed the fleet staying in ports such as Naples or Palmero. [1]

The Fortunado

Tomas was talking with Antonio, as the Fortunado was approaching the fleet.

"I can't believe Harucata would do this to us, he wants us to sail towards the fleets of the Holy League and the Turk?" Tomas complained.

"Well, it would not be like any other part of this journey is dangerous." Antonio deadpanned.

"Sailing the oceans is one thing, sailing towards the Turks is another, and we are better off taking our own lives than ending up as slaves!" Tomas exclaimed fearing the worst.

"If the Turks are not slain trying to do so, we are warriors, not merchants. They will find us more difficult than their usual prey."

"Hmph a sailor that considers himself a warrior like the rest of these men, you had better be right about this," Tomas said trying to steel himself.

Diogo and Luis were discussing their recent time with the Tensho embassy.

"This religion of theirs is inspiring, at least in the artistic sense, It reminds me of the Divine Comedy, with its vividness. I must speak more with this Bancho." Luis remarked.

"I've talked to Antonio he has told me of the Duke Harucata. With the Duke's permission and a translator I want to write a biography or possibly several others of their land, maybe I can visit their King Yoximoto. The world out there must be fascinating, even the common soldiers are interesting." Diogo said eagerly about his recent role.

However, Luis's thoughts turned to an unspoken worry, "Do you believe we will have to fight?"

"God willing, we will not." Diogo replied, but sounded more unsure than Luis.

However, the Fortunado's crew would not be observing the battle from afar.

"Captain, I want you to take us closer this cluster of ships looks to be away from the main force we should not be in any serious Danger.

Ulic Ali was aboard his ship, he had thus far kept the defense against the Cenvikli, and was prepared to engage the main Holy League fleet again if need be. [2]

"Captain we've sighted alone ship the side of the enemy navy it's flag bears a stylized cross." Yakub one of his sailors had said to him.

"Damn it, more of enemy and stragglers at that. Send my orders for two ships to break off from our force and proceeded to attack, we need to be able to retreat. Keep the fleet ready to attack. The old man said with some trace of an accent.

Two ships from the Ottoman left-wing sail towards the Fortunado.

"Priest, get over here now, are these Turuko you have spoken of our enemies?"

"No, but they do not look like they are here for a friendly visit. Of all the things you had to do, it was sailing us here, it will be a miracle from God if we are not taken as slaves if we are not killed." Tomas frantic pleas where given little acknowledgment by Harukata.

"Hmph, alert the crew have the cannoneers and arquebusiers ready to fire and make sure their ready fight these Turuko back."

The Fortunado positioned itself to fire on one of the galleys sinking the other, leaving the other one free to board the Fortunado. The crew had started to fire both bow and arquebus at the enemy who was armed with only bows. several volleys where exchanged, before the Ottomans started to board the ship.

Lightly armored warriors began to scale towards the ship, with the crew picking up short spears and drawing swords to repel the Ottoman borders. The borders wore cloth and some armor and were armed with curved short swords and maces. Both sides clashed with the crew of the Fortunado cutting down most of the borders.

Giovanni Andrea Doria had seen the stranger's ship face down two Turkish galley's, and it galvanized the Left wing of Holy League to press onwards. [3]

"Captian Pasha, the battle seems lost, are we to retreat?" Yakub asked unsure of what his captain would do in what looked to be a lost battle.

Ulic Ali paused for a few moments "Yes, we will gain nothing by dying here. send out orders for the fleet to begin retreating." Ulic noticed that the lone ship had fired another volley, with one cannonball striking the bow of one of the galleys.

"Damn them, they more than a nuisance, we may have to face these strangers ourselves. The Turkish fleet began to retreat out of the Gulf of Patras, towards safer waters.

The Fortunado was approached by the side by a galley baring a white flag with a red cross. The crew was given curious looks by the sailors before the ship rammed into a Turuko galley trying to attack from the port side.

"Have we lost anyone in the attack?" Harukata asked

"A few men have been injured at least three men are dead, Lord," Bansho reported, himself wearing armor and wielding his naginata.

"Captian, we have an enemy ship on our starboard side, they are going to board," The crew of the Fortunado rushed to repel the borders as more Turuko warriors had arrived and chief among was them an old man, with a slightly lighter complexion with a large turban and a long white beard.

In the confusion of battle, Harukata found himself face to face with the old man, who attacked with a curved sword. The old man's blade had more weight to it, but Harukata still had mobility and armor on his side, and after several clashes with the old man, cut him across the arm, before stabbing him in the chest. The fighting continued, as the enemy galley was attacked by another ship with a red cross on its sails. Faced with an attack on both sides the Turuko ship was overrun and had been its galley slaves freed.

After the attack, the ship was approached by another ship bearing a red cross and looked more ornate than the other ships they had seen so far.

A man with black facial hair in slightly blemished armor had met stood across Harukata along with his guards, Harukata had his own guards with him.

"Priest, tell me, who is this man," Harukata asked.

"Honored Sir, My lord wishes know who you are?" Tomas shouted across to the other ship, his friendly tone was met by the man's sharp glare.

"Is your "lord", some kind of a madman?" Don Giovanni nearly shouted. "How in the name of the Almighty does your Lord expect this meeting to go, thank you for arriving from God knows were to help us? Damn it, do you realize I have to bring you, your lord and his followers in front of the rest of the league."

"I am more than aware, I told him this was insanity, but he believed we could fight them off," Tomas replied in an equally irritated tone, Don Giovanni gave a thoughtful pause.

"Hmm, I suppose he was not wrong, especially if he killed that bastard Occhaili. If he must know, I am Don Giovanni Andrea Doria, but who is this lord of yours?" Don Giovanni replied in a calmer tone.

"He is Duke Suay Harucata from the far off land of Hapon, we were an embassy in the name of their King,"

Don Giovanni raised an eyebrow. "What kind of embassy brings this many armed men with them?"

"An embassy that intends to visit as far north as Inghilitierra."

"An embassy of lunatics, and brave ones at that."

"Hmph and here I might be the biggest lunatic of them all," Tomas said causing both men to laugh.

"Preist, that seems to be a long conversation for just one question," Harukata said irritated he had to wait for an answer.

"He is Doria Janandorea, a key figured in this Scared Ikki, and they wish to meet us."

August 14th, 1573

Sami, Cephalonia, Republic of Venice

The Fortunado had made it back with the rest of the Holy League fleet. However, Tomas approached by another man in armor flanked by guards.

"Father, you are the interpreter for these men?" the man had asked.

"Yes, Don?" Tomas replied hoping for an introduction.

"Don Juan of Austria. My brother, his majesty the King of the Spains and the Two Sicilies. Had warned me about you, apparently, a bunch of warriors you dropped off in Peru had helped the Indians seize or "reconquer" as they liked to call it Peru. Don Juan had said to Tomas's shock. My King demands you and your ship return to Cadiz to see the King, but I will at least send word that your help has seen all of the enemy's admirals killed.

"Thank you, but I do not know how to explain this to the crew."

"You must know I need to send you with an escort." Don Juan said with a remorseful tone.

"I understand," Tomas replied. All I wanted was a quiet life as a man of God, instead, I am thrown into wars and sailing the world. Tomas thought before going off to find Harukata.

[1] As this is ATL Lepanto. The participants are the same, save the Fortunado and Tensho Embassy. The Holy League was a coalition of Christian powers that set out to oppose Ottoman control of the Mediterranean.

[2] Ulic Ali or Occhiali was an Ottoman admiral and notably the only high ranking survivor of Lepanto. He was formerly a slave captured from Italy, hence the skin color and accent.

[3] Giovanni Andrea Doria leader of the left wing of the Holy League fleet, not to be confused with his Grand Uncle and adoptive father the famed admiral Andrea Doria.

Last edited:
    Part 35: The Spanish Strike Back, Repercussions of the Battle of the Gulf of Patras
  • September 20th, 1572

Lima, Peru

Hojo Ujinori along with his brothers were seated in front of Titu Cusi in the former Viceregal Palace, with Ataw there to interpret

"I take it my messengers have given you the new duties I require of you?"

"Yes Sapa Inca, I am most honored but I admit I was only a humble courier, are you sure I am to be your voice in their land of Yapanku?"

"Yes, while I am Sapa Inca like my predecessors before me, the world I live in is different from the world that they knew and so our Empire must change along with it. There are many lands beyond the great seas, some that are not so different from our own. You said this land of Yapanku, was a land filled with mountains like our own, and even stranger still they too have a ruler who claims to be descended from a Sun deity."

"Yes, Sapa Inca."

The Yapanmanta have given us many gifts even if they do not know it. I can only imagine what they could provide us with if they were allies, it is why I am considering marrying three of my daughters to these princes. Do you now realize why I want you to be my ambassador to these people?”

“Yes, I understand Sapa Inca, but what of these three daughters, Will they accept marrying these three princes?”

These are to be like any other marriages if they are found wanting by my daughters, I want to arrange their transportation back here. However, I have faith that from what you describe of these three men they are honorable and noble in action as well as blood.

Ataw had given Ujinori and his brothers a nervous look.

"The Sapa Inca is honored by your help and would like to form an alliance with your people." Ataw said flatly.

"Why do I believe there is news I am not going to like?"

"The Sapa Inca wants a marriage between you and your brothers and three of his daughters."

Ujinori gave a quick smile "Tell the Saipa Inka my brothers and are honored he would consider us matches for his daughters. We are going to have a talk after this, ambassador. This lie of yours has done damage in ways you cannot begin to know." Ujinori's harsh tone did not betray the smile he had on his face.

An Incan messenger had arrived.

"Sapa Inca, we have news the Espanakyu are preparing to launch a counter-attack." Ataw's eyes grew wide, as he told Ujinori of this message. [1]

"Tell the Saipa Inca we shall fight them again."

The Hojo would gather their soldiers and march out once more.

August 20th, 1573

Cadiz, Spain

Harukata, Tomas and several high-ranking members of the Tensho embassy stood before King Felipe.

“What does the Rei want to know? We were only sent to deliver them to Lima they were guided by this man with redskin.”

Tomas had figured as much it was an Indio trick but was unsure.

"Your Majesty, my lord was not apart of that mission, it was sent by another noble family."

"What does that mean, what would be the difference between one family or the other?" The king's words were translated to Harukata.

"Does he know that our land is divided into great lords and that they have their own armies. These armies were sent by the Hojo who made a contract with one of the king's representatives. What the Hojo had told me is that sent to put down a rebellion, and were guided by a man with red skin, who had managed this contract."

"Your Majesty, the Duke offers an explanation. The lords of his land have sent their armies out to become soldiers for hire, those soldiers were not from his lord, but another. From what the Duke tells me the forces of the Hogo family where hired by an Indian on the Viceroy's behalf.

"So, you truly do not know what happened, but that this was apparently not the intention of either expedition? This does not make things any easier, what would your King say if these men were to die?"

Felipe heard Tomas and the Duke speaking, and their tones seemed curt with each other.

"Your Majesty, he said they knew the risks by choosing to stay. The Duke would like to know what you would do with their expedition, namely if you would try to stop them?"

"No, it would make things worse, and I have heard that you did help drive the Turks back, and kill the infamous corsair Uchalli. If my brother is willing to attest to your actions, I am willing to at least consider you brave men."

"The King is willing to let us leave." Tomas said to Harukata.

"Then let us do so, the sooner we can start to head back home the better." Harukata said after bowing to the king.

November 6th, 1573

Istanbul, Rumelia Elayet

Sokollu Mehmed Pasha was with Sultan Selim.

"My Sultan, please reconsider we can always strike back and end the blockade around Kibris."

"I'm uncertain if we could raise a fleet to end the blockade, those treasonous bastards in the Maghreb have dared to ally themselves with our enemies. My brother is still a bigger a threat, and they have merely wounded my arm. However, I have a plan to save face. What information do we have on Yusuf's support among the people of Kibris?"

“Yusuf has made many concessions to the Dhimmi more than what the Vendeliki offered, however some of our own are quite wary of him.”

"It is as good as we can hope for. Yusuf is a friend of mine he wanted to be Sultan of Kibris and so a Sultan he shall be.” [2]

“You wish to make this man an ally and make this kingdom independent?”

“yes, we have little choice. If my brother chooses to break his leash we cannot afford to be cut off by the seas. Eventually, we shall have our revenge, but for now, we must accept Cezayir and the lands around Tunis, as lost.” [3]

"If you say, so my Sultan. I will present our position on peace talks with the enemy. We can only hope they will accept."

[1] The Quecha term for Spanish.

[2] Yusuf, in this case, is Yusuf Nasi a Portuguese Jew and friend of the Sultan, this was an actual plan by Sultan Selim but it never got off the ground.

[3] The Turkish term for Algiers.

I hope no one minds if I am focusing too much on what is happening outside of Japan I want to bring part of that focus back next chapter.

Last edited:
    Part 36: A Family Matter
  • October 8th, 1573

Muromachi Palace, Kyoto

Yoshimoto had looked over the reports supposedly the Southwestern Islands had many chiefs called Datu’s, and It was advised they should send expeditions to Tandeya and Sanrasaru. However Yoshimoto had bigger concerns He was hoping for good news from the men were sent out westward, But a more pressing concern would soon become into his Chambers. [1]

In stepped his son Ujizane wearing a light blue robe adorned with the Imagawa mon.

“Father, you wished to see me?”

“Yes my son, it is about that young Oda woman who gave you a son. A few years ago” Yoshimoto said showing no sign of emotion.

“I intend to keep her as a concubine, that is not a problem is it?” Ujizane said, showing irritation.

“You know I did not approve of your dalliances with her, especially since her brother will be head of the Oda when he comes of age. Especially what that might have done with Lady Hayakawa and her family.” Yoshimoto's tone was firm.

“I would have heard protests from Ujimasa, and Lady Hayakawa and Oichi have gotten along fine.” [2]

“That is only because Lady Hayakawa has not given you a son. I had to kill my own brother, your uncle to become head of this clan. He was older than me and the son of a concubine. What happens if Lady Hayakawa has a son, is their generation supposed to repeat the mistakes of mine?" Yoshimoto responded as his voice had risen slightly.

"What should I do merely determine the succession order of the clan? That seems far too simple."

"No, you must do more than that. you must make sure the days of uncertain succession are in the past. Your grandfather had six sons by the time he died, the succession should have been safe. Not more than ten years later half of them are dead, and I, the second youngest son who had no more than 17 springs in my lifetime was now the head of this clan." Yoshimoto had started to look exhausted recalling the past, as Ujizane softened.

"A question that haunts me is what will happen when you and I are dead?" Yoshimoto had said in a grim tone. "I can maintain this shogunate by force of arms and recently cowed lords, but what will happen if my grandson finds himself where he and his generation cannot recall the past struggles that we have endured to see peace brought to this land?"

"Then perhaps you should write about your experiences for future generations." Ujizane said trying to bring his father to look towards the future instead of the past. Ujizane eyes shifted for a second "Has Uncle Ujitoyo decided to marry?"

"Yes, he says he has found a woman that completes him more than any Renga poem, why?" Yoshimoto was curious at this unexpected question.

"I feel that we should have collateral lines, provided they know their place." Ujizane responded, as it like both a good idea and a way to keep his father from remembering the past too much. [3]

"Hm, I must visit Ujitoyo and talk to him about this. Truth be told my bigger concern is the Emperor. His Majesty owes everything to us, but as time passes, the Imperial line may grow resentful."

"Then what should we do about them now?" Ujizane asked.

"For now, we should leave the Emperor be." Yoshimoto stated.

[1] References to what would be the OTL Philippines. Datu's where the chiefs of the several of the islands of the pre-colonial Phillippines. Tandeya is what would be modern-day Leyte, and Sanrasaru is modern day Samar.

[2] Oichi was a Daughter of Oda Nobuhide and sister to Nobunaga. She was famous for being married off to Azai Nagamasa and dying with her other husband Shibata Katsuie, and having three daughters who would become important in their own right.

[3] This was something practiced by the Tokugawa and would eventually bear fruit as the male line under Ieyasu had died out. Ujitoyo's fate was lost to history after being tricked by Oda Nobuhide since he is definitely surviving, I feel it might be time to give some importance aside from Yoshimoto's younger brother.

Last edited:
    Part 37: The Battle of Lake Chinchaycocha, and the Fall of Huanuco
  • December 5th, 1572

Lake Chinchaycocha

An army comprised of Spanish soldiers and allied native Warriors was making its way towards Lake Chinchaycocha from the North. The fate of the viceroyalty of Peru was dark indeed, the loss of Lima left Huanuco as a nearby center of Spanish Administration in the area.

The overall commander was the Marquis of Canete, Garcia Hurtado de Mendoza, with Francisco Alvarez de Toledo as his co-commander. Mendoza was speaking with one of his commanders, Pedro de Villagra. [1]

“Damn that foolish Count, it is bad enough you were forced back from Chile but now he lost Lima to a bunch of Indians and mercenaries from the Far East? If it was not for the fact other people can support this story I would have assumed he was drunk.” Francisco remarked.

"You are being too harsh on His Illustriousness, it is not like he could have expected this to have turned out the way it did. These Indians are heathens and butchers, but fools are the last thing we should consider them, they’ve managed to gain several advantages but god willing we will stop them here." Pedro replied.

“He was the one who left that Indian emperor frustrate him and gain power and now we risk losing our chance to save these heathens from their ways. That fool better not be making a mistake sending us here. Regardless I at least have faith in his Excellency."

"At least we agree on that."

From the south, the Incan Emperor Titu Cusi led his own army to engage the Spanish including the force of Japanese mercenaries from the Hojo clan The emperor was convening with his strategists as well as the foreign leaders in his camp.

"Our scouts have reported the Espanakyu are advancing towards us And there is a chance they could move around the lake, whatever happens, we cannot take any risks." The Sapa Inca had stated before turning towards Ataw. "Ataw, I am aware of the prince's forces are small, but ask the prince what he and his brothers can do what with such numbers?" [2]

"Lord Ujinori, The Sapa Inca requests your advice, the Espanakyu are heading towards our position."

"I am unfamiliar with how these Spanish fight but if we are heading near the Lake they could circle around it and threaten us, perhaps we should Send a smaller Force around the other side just to make sure that they do not try anything."

Ataw had told the Sapa Inca and the Sapa Inca expressed is approval saying the idea had merit. The Sapa Inca split his forces into his main Force what consists of Infantry a few detachments of cavalry, more than 2,000 firearms and two-thirds of the Japanese Mercenaries. The Sapa Inca had managed to loot the armory of Lima as well other Spanish settlements, and the second and third waves of the Inca forces were armed spears and swords and wearing pieces of Spanish armor.

The forces of the Sapa Inca sent around the lake consisted of infantry both armed with traditional weapons and firearms as well as the remaining one-third of the Japanese Mercenaries and were to go round the lake to meet any possible Spanish advances.

The Main Spanish force had only a few thousand Spanish Soldiers mixed with guns and swords, the rest of their forces comprising at least 7,000 of native warriors. Both sides started off to skirmish exchanging gunfire arrows and slings, before engaging in hand to hand fighting. The Spanish kept their own men in reserve, leaving most of their native allies to engage the enemy first.

The fighting between both sides had started out as an intense clash of axes, clubs, and spears. The Spanish-aligned natives had outnumbered the Inca’s initial forces and had the advantage, however, the Inca’s initial forces were far from defeated, and the fighting had bogged down into a stalemate. [3]

On the other side of the lake, Pedro de Villagra’s forces were on their way to flank the Inca army. and they had spotted off in the distance an Inca force not too far away.

It seems the enemy had the same idea. Pedro thought before turning to one of his captains. “Have the Cavalry take up the center and keep everyone on a slow pace when we get close enough will charge them." Pedro ordered.

"Yes, commander."

The Inca forces to around the lake were lead by Iskay a Waranqa Kuraka of the Incan army with a with another noble Ninan as a sub-commander responsible for five Pachaka Kuraka, and along with three hundred Japanese under the command of Hojo Ujitada. [4]

“Espanyaku Kawallu incoming! these Yapanqi know of these beasts and how they are used in the open, have one of the interpreters ask them what should we do.” Iskay said to Ninan. [5]

"Horsemen are coming at us in the open noble one, My commander wants to know what we should do." The interpreter said in a hurried tone.

"I can order my spearmen to form a defensive position, and I can have my gunners shoot at them." Ujitada said unsure of the outcome

"Noble Commander, I am not a tactician but wouldn't these guns be too slow to make a difference?” The interpreter's words caused Ujitada's eyes to widen.

"You are right!" Ujitada said excitedly I could have one man fire while another reloads. Can your units do the same?" [6]

“They can try, I will inform the commander.”

The Incan and Japanese quickly sent their firearm units to the fore and adopted a tactic to have one rank fire while another reloads.

Seeing this a cavalryman dropped back to report to Pedro de Villagra.

“Commander, the Indians, and Haponese have sent their arquebusiers at us, should we stop?”

“Bah, we will ride them down before they can even fire, keep advancing!” Pedro said dismissively before returning to the rest of his soldiers. “The rest of you pick up the pace we are nearly on top this scum.”

The Incan and Japanese forces had managed to get off a disorganized series of repeating volleys on the advancing cavalry. The Spanish cavalry was met by the erratic gunfire but it had managed to at least blunt the momentum. The initial cavalry that did make it was attacked by Japanese spearmen, however, the rest of the cavalry arrived with the Spanish forces quickly behind them. The Incan forces pressed on to meet the Spanish attack.

The main engagement saw the Inca’s first wave of forces gradually pushed back as the second wave began their advance. To help their second wave the Sapa Inca gave orders for the detachments of cavalry to attack the flanks of the Spanish forces.

"Francisco, tell the men we assist the Indians will not let them or their mercenaries win this day!" The Marquis had shouted.

The Spanish and the rest of their native allies joined the battle, which allowed them to hold the line. The Spanish and their allies had managed to slightly Force the Indians back and creating gaps in their ranks. When it looked there was a chance they could win the day Horns started to blare out. Fransisco saw before him an unfamiliar sight. Warriors in full armor wearing flags on their backs armed with what he could make out to be pikes, bows, and swords at their sides had begun to charge. The flags themselves carried strange symbols and what looked a triangle made of four triangles, Francisco figured they were the Haponese. [7]

Their numbers were small but the Haponese attacked in the gaps the Spanish and their allies had previously opened. Francisco’s native allies were unused to the long spears and blades of the Haponese and were being cut down and driven back. Francisco’s own men fared slightly better with their armor able to stop their attacks. The Sapa Inca’s cavalry had come from the flanks to attack the flanks while their archers had started firing into the gaps. causing the Spanish native auxiliaries to begin to retreat.

Seeing the commotion Francisco turned towards the Marquis“Your Excellency, we risk being overrun, should we retreat?”

“No, we shall pull back and regroup, and get someone to deal with that damn cavalry.”

“Understood Your Excellency,” As Francisco left the Marquis turn towards a man who he trusted to deliver a message

“Alvaro, you are to tell Pedro’s forces to regroup with mine.”

“Yes, your Excellency,” Alvaro said riding off around the lake.”

Around the other side of the lake Pedro’s force had gained an upper hand. Iksay was talking to Ninan about what their next move would be.

“I want you to send whatever soldiers we have left into the fray. Tell Prince Ujitada to join them.”

“Is this wise?” questioned Ninan.

“It does not matter, we must protect the main army!” Iksay ordered.

Pedro was in the thick of the fighting sword and shield in hand when he found himself face to face with what looked to be one of the mercenary princes. He wore a wide helmet with a silver crest that looked like three triangles surrounding one in the center. The prince was armed with a two-handed sword that did not seem like the heavy two-handed swords back home. Pedro barely had time to react before being driven on the defensive, but help had arrived in the form of allied warriors both native and the few Spanish that accompanied him, but the warrior struck down two of his attackers before pulling back.

However, rather than retreat more foreign warriors appeared and forced the Spanish attack back. The Spanish forces began to pull back to regroup in response. Before they could plan their next move a horseman had ridden up from behind. Pedro had recognized him as Alvaro.

“Commander you and your men are to pull back. His Excellency intends to establish a more defensive position.” Alvaro stated, however, he was met with a look of indignation

“To hell with this!” Pedro shouted, We’ve lost Peru and Santiago to savages and his Excellency thinks we should just pull back!”

“You would defy an order from his Excellency and the Viceroy who acts in the name of His Majesty! You could get yourself killed.” Alvaro said shocked to hear what he was saying.

Before their argument could continue further a volley of shots ran out, with shouting soon following. To Pedro’s horror, the Indians and their allies had begun to counter-attack.

“We will not run from them.” However instead of a rallying band of brothers Pedro saw most of his soldiers and allied natives retreat, with many getting on what horses still remained. Pedro was soon faced by the mercenary prince and his soldiers. The prince had uttered a cry that sounded like "Hachiman." and slashed at Pedro’s left shoulder which was not as well protected as his chest, Pedro tried to parry with his shield, but suffered a shooting pain from the wound. Taking advantage of this the prince had moved around and struck Pedro’s legs before he could react the prince had brought his sword down decapitated Pedro as the rest of the forces who stayed with Pedro were soon killed as well.

The remnants of Pedro's forces had soon met up with the Marquis. It was pathetic sight 150 horses carrying 300 men, and 100 more exhausted behind them. Garcia approached one of the men, where is your commander?"

"He would not listen and did not flee, we do not think the heathens took prisoners." Upon hearing this Garcia crossed himself, before turning back towards the solider. "Tell the rest of those who survived to rest."

"Yes, Commander."

"Francisco, you may think I am mad for suggesting this, but it is clear we cannot win, we should surrender or else we are just throwing away the lives of our soldiers and allies."

Francisco gave Garcia a dumbfounded look. "How can we trust the heathens not to betray us, or just kill us?"

"I will send out an envoy if he comes back and their King accepts we make peace, if not we fight to the last."

A messenger had ridden out from the Spanish lines towards the Incan camp.

“Your Majesty, the Marquis wishes to surrender to prevent further bloodshed.” The Sapa Inca could only glare at the man before him.

“I will only accept his surrender in person, leave me.”

Upon hearing this the messenger rode back to the Marquis.

“Your Excellency, the King will only accept your surrender in person!” The messenger exclaimed.

The Marquis showed no signs of hesitation at this information. “Very well I shall meet him.”

The Marquis rode up to the Incan army and found himself face-to-face with the Sapa Inca, who seemed to stare at him with a cold rage in his eyes.

“You wish to surrender your forces to me!” The Sapa Inca said with contempt in his voice.

“Yes, we cannot win this battle, and to try and retreat could see many good men killed, we wish to ask for mercy.”

“You have the nerve to ask me for mercy? Why should I offer mercy to the scum who stole my people's lands, imposed your god, killed my uncle, my brother, and killed my own father right before my very eyes! I should have you and all of your people killed.” The Sapa Inca’s voice retained the same harsh tone. [8]

“Kill me if you must, but please do not kill my men or the people in the cities and villages.” Garcia said hoping the Emperor would be merciful.

December 7th, 1572

Huanuco, Peru

Huanuco found itself surrounded by an Incan Army, it was given an ultimatum to surrender. Presented with the capture of the Spanish force sent to defend them. The City surrendered.

The Viceroy of Peru, the Count of Nieva, Diego Lopez de Zuniga was brought out to be executed. The Sapa Inca had let Hojo Ujinori decapitate the man. As the Count of Nieva saw his would-be executioner come towards him grew enraged. "I do not care if you cannot understand me you slant-eyed snake, there is a special place in Hell for traitors like you!" Curses had continued to stream from the viceroy's lips until he was executed. Titu Cusi had given an order that all people in Huanuco where free to worship what god they believed in, but they would they be his subjects. This was met with little resistance.

Later that night Hojo Ujinori, his brothers and their forces were gathered in a local area to rest.

"Brother, if we are done with aiding this Saipa Inca, are we able to even get back home?" Ujimitsu had said what Ujinori was thinking.

"Yes, we lost several regular soldiers, not that their lives were not important. When we get back we need to inform The Shogun and tell him to advise larger units, not to mention organized contracts." Ujinori replied.

"We can worry about that later, for now, we should celebrate, we can as strangers to a foreign land under false pretenses and still we emerged victoriously and we have Hachiman to thank for this outcome." Ujitada said. [9]

"Indeed." Ujinori replied letting his young brother's more optimistic spirit win out.

For now, the Hojo would feast and then begin their journey home.

[1] The first two are the Eight and Eleventh viceroys of Peru, while Pedro was a commander of Spanish forces Chile during the Mapuche War.

[2] The Inca did use Spanish weapons and armor under Manco Inca at one point.

[3] Incan weapons, that would be used in the local area, even if there would be some variance in them.

[4] The Inca had their military forces organized into specific units of ten, one hundred, one thousand, and ten thousand led by a Chunka Kamayuq, Pachaka Kuraka, then Waranqa Kuraka, and Hunu Kuraka respectively.

[5] Spanish Cavalry in Quechua

[6] This is a reference to the Oda tactics at the Battle of Nagashino, although OTL was nowhere near what it is usually portrayed as the Takeda had only one unit of Cavalry.

[7] I apologize if the description of a Yari seems inconsistent, they could be as long as pike and used in a similar fashion, but also short enough to be used as a spear.

[8] Titu Cusi was the son of Manco Inca a previous Sapa Inca who killed, who himself was a son of Huayna Capac, and thus a half brother to Atahualpa. Both Manco Inca, and Atahualpa were killed by the Spanish. Sayri Tupac the prior Sapa Inca before Titu Cusi had died of disease but Titu Cusi suspected he was poisoned.

[9] A Shinto God of War, with an important Shrine located in Kanto.

I'm sorry if this is later than intended, but I wanted to at least show how bad things had gotten for the Spanish in Peru.

Last edited:
    Part 38: The Tensho Embassy in Rome, The Tensho Embassy in Venice Part One
  • January 18th, 1574

Rome, Papal States

The Tensho Embassy had arrived in what they knew as the city of Rom, the holy city for the Kirishitan faithful, and once the capital of a great empire. Harukata and his men would spend two days exploring the city, seeing various fancy residences, but also noticing thugs, and prostitutes and other unsavory elements. On the third day the Tensho Expedition would meet with the Chief Abbot of the Kirishitan religion.[1]

“Your Holiness, I am honored to meet in you person. I come as an interpreter for a mission from the Far East.”

Lord Harukata, this is Chief Abbot Guregori.[2]

“I have heard of them, they are known as the Heroes of Iapon to many for their actions against the Turks, yet what would bring such men around the world”

“Your eminence this is Duke Harucata Suey, retainer of Lord Ouche Yoxinaga, in the service of both the King of Japan Imagawa Yoximoto, and the Emperor Ohemache. They are here to find out more about our land and ways.”

“Do they intend to convert?” Had given a slight smile only to be met by a disappointed look.

“No, they still wish to keep their pagan ways.” He had said to the Pope’s disappointment. “They are curious about the fact I and other priests ultimately answer to you, they had problems with their own clergy, and they do not want to have trouble from our clergy.”

“What would they have to fear from the word of the lord?” The Pope asked curious

“Peasant rebellions, and religious violence. Tomas said sternly These people follow a strange mix of their own paganism, and the teachings of the Boutta, but their temples have no central authorities just like the heretics. Some teachings of the Boutta emphasize something close to our monasticism and asceticism, others like the Blessed Land were much more popular among the masses, where one only need have faith in repeating the name of the Amedaboutta. One such Blessed Land group such group was the Ikoiche who seized power in the lands of Caga and Satsu, who ruled from their fortress monastery of Icheyama Honganji. Other monasteries engaged in conflict with each other around the capital leaving violence in their.

“I heard that Iapon was divided and torn by war, but even their monks are warriors as well?”

“Not all of them, but harsh times saw harsh measures. The King has recently united the land of Iapon and any places of worship be it ours or theirs must be registered and have their worshipers counted. That was among many reforms the King had instituted, but he was interested in lands that me and my brothers in the faith had come from, which explains this expedition.”

“Then please ask what does the King of Iapon think of our faith."

Tomas said the Pope’s words to Harukata. “The Shogun has his suspicions, although he and I both are curious as to what this protesting heresy is.”

“Their king is suspicious, and they are curious about the heretics.” Tomas had said

“Tell him we have no intention of causing trouble in his lands, and tell the Jesuits they had better not do so.”

“His Holiness says that he wishes to cause no trouble in your lands.” Tomas said.

“Then what of the actions of Furanshisuko, he was personally summoned to the capital to be rebuked by the Shogun himself. I know how you priests operated using trade as a pretext, and pretended to adopt our customs, but I never thought this order of yours would send someone so disrespectful. Is our land to be at the mercy of whoever this Chief Abbot sends?”[3]

“No I was planning to inform His Holiness of this incident.” Tomas said quickly before returning to face the Pope

“Your Holiness, there was an incident with Francisco Cabral and his opposition to some of the accommodations we have made. He did not like having to wear the silk robes of their monks, or the lack of meat in their diets. The King of Iapon, who himself was once one of these monks was outraged and forced Francisco to change into a robe on the spot.” The Pope had audibly gasped.[4]

“That fool could undo all of our work in spreading the Lord’s word. Please tell this Duke that I will keep this in mind, we must speak more of this mission in private.”

“His Holiness says he shall keep in this mind to insure such an incident like that never occurs.” The skeptical look on Harukata’s face did not change.

“Then what about these heretics, what makes them so distasteful, and we can we expect them to arrive to try and find converts in our land as well?”

“Damn it, the Iaponese still wish to know about the heretics, and if they will arrive in their lands soon.” Tomas said to the Pope.

“What exactly do Iaponese know about the heretics?” Pope Gregory said with a slight worry in his voice.

“The Iaponese only know that the heretics are opposed to our faith as the one true way, and to them that is confusing. While they did have monasteries that clashed with one another and several creeds that have only recently emerged, they do not value one of these creeds as the sole faith of their land. This conflict is not something they wish to be pawns in, and so intend to hear out both sides.”

“It is understandable but unwelcome. Do you believe we have anything to fear about them converting if they learn more about the heretics?”

“No, the Heretics are too far away, and would not make too ground in converting them, but I feel the Iaponese would have an understanding eye towards them.” The Pope took Thomas's words with some relief

Harukata continued to hear both men talk before Tomas had turned towards him “His Holiness says the heretics seek to create their own authority where faith alone is the only path towards salvation with no actions or higher or so they claim. So far they have only succeeded in stirring chaos and rebellion through the many realms of this land. Regardless of your thoughts on this conflict, it should not spread towards your land.”

“So you say, but it is the Shogun himself who must make this decision.”

“Lord Harukata, I would like to talk to this Chief Abbot of this faith, I came with your expedition for a reason.” Harukata turned to face the monk.

Harukata had told Tomas of Bansho’s intention, to which the Pope had agreed but requested to do so tomorrow. However before Tomas had left, the Pope had requested his presence.

“Your Holiness?”

“These are difficult times we live in, Anglia and Francia are watching against religious violence and are possibly seeking a common cause against the Hapsburgs. The Turkish menace to the east is still a threat despite everything that has happened, and God only knows what the Grand Duke in the east planning. Whatever happens make sure these men pagans or no, do not cause any trouble, even if they are known as heroes of our most righteous hour.” The Pope had stated hoping for the best.

“What am I to do If they show favoritism towards the heretics?” Tomas asked.

“Have the Jesuits keep track of any expeditions if they can, but surely we cannot reasonably expect them to do much here in these lands? How exactly did the battle with Turks play out?”

“We arrived because the Duke had want to observe their naval tactics. The Iaponese style of naval combat was to build want amounts to floating castles that see their conflict resolved with boarding actions. Our ship had sailed to close and since the Fortunado bore a stylized cross that being the Ouche family’s coat of arms, two Turkish ships attacked us. Fortunately most of the crew that was were trusted warriors from the land of Amanguchi, who experienced in naval warfare, fought back against the Turks with fury, although having cannons on our side helped as well.”

“What was happening with the rest of the battle?”

“From experience I do not know, from what I have been told we arrived when the Turks were losing and their left wing under Uchali was retreating. Our attacked galvanized the forces of Signore Giovanni who began to attack. Uchali himself attacked our ship himself to buy his fleet time to escape, and he and the Duke engaged in single combat, with the Duke emerging victorious after the battle the men began to cut off the enemies heads as is their custom.” Tomas said leaving Pope Gregory visibly disgusted.

“So this intervention was more fortune than a race of miraculous warriors touched by the grace of God as some people would say?” The Pope had said to a dumbstruck Tomas

“People believe that?” Tomas said shaking his head, at which the Pope allowed himself a small smile. “I trust you are aware despite what people may say, our faith’s influence in Japan is limited. We have only made serious ground in Amanguchi and its surrounding lands, none of the dukes or former kings of their lands have so far converted.”

“So can we expect this expedition to at least keep our faith in the King’s good graces?”

“It is hard to say Your Holiness. the Duke, Harucata is as ruthless as they come. He overthrew the prior king of Amanguchi who he was a friend of Ouche Yoxitaca since childhood or so the rumor goes, and installed the King’s maternal nephew Otomo Haruheday, who took the name of his uncle’s clan becoming Ouche Yoxinaga as in their custom. The Duke ruled the clan, in all but name until King Yoxinaga kidnaped the Duke’s son with the ensuing conflict between the two ending when they surrendered to King Yoximoto. As I have said before the Duke is suspicious, provided we do nothing to arouse his suspicions our mission to Iapon should be secure.”

“Do you know where does this expedition plan to go next?”

“Yes to Venice, Francia and then Anglia, before they intend to head home.”

“If you can find any clergy please keep them informed of what has happened with the expedition. Is there anything I should about this Pancho before meeting with him?” The Pope had asked one last question before Tomas had begun to set out.

“I will see to it Your Holiness. As for Pancho he is a patient man, willing to listen for hours.

January 26th, 1574

Venice, Republic of Venice

The word of the Tensho Embassy’s arrival saw them greeted to much fanfare when they arrived in Benecia. While the few Europeans in the expedition had heard of Venice, not a one of them had actually entered Venice before. The Fortunado had arrived in Kannaregio where they saw a welcoming party led by an old man, but plenty of people gathered around. [5]

“Greetings , I am glad we can meet again under less chaotic circumstances. On the behalf of His Serenity Alvise Mocenigo I welcome you and this “embassy” to Venice.” Sebastiano said.

“Likewise Signore. Am I to be worried about what words have spread about the embassy to the Doge?

“I have personally told His Serenity of their bravery, if I feel it was utter madness for them to sail too close to a naval battle, it helps your leader killed one of the more infamous marauders himself. It made for quite the tale here, but His Serenity knows as well as you and I that their arrival was no miracle. His Serenity wants to allay his concerns this could be some form of an invasion, and also give his personal thanks.”

Tomas sighed. “I told them not sail too close, now I have to dispel all manner of wild tales. I can only pray that this does not make our travel to the land of Inghilterra difficult lest they are seen as agents of His Holiness.”

The Tensho Embassy had moved across Kannaregio to the Doje’s Palace. Marveling at some of the sites they saw such as an ornate bridge that connected the sections of the city known as Sanmaruko and Sanporo. As the embassy moved around the city they learned that Benecia was a city of merchants run by a council of powerful families with their leader the Doje being elected.

The Tensho Embassy with Harukata, Tomas and several retainers arriving in a room known as the Sekudo room. In this room they saw a an old man dressed in an ornate robe with shells that adorned the from wearing a red hat with the fabric on its rear end raised up, which they assumed was the Doje. He had a small smile, along with him was a younger man in front of him and a woman near his side.

“I am Tomas, priest and interpreter for the Duke Harucata Suey who is the leader of this expedition sent by the King of Giapon, Yoximoto Imagawa in the name of their Emperor, Ogemachi.” Tomas stated introducing the embassy.

“I am Ruggiero, interpreter for His Serenity Alvise Mocegeniro, His Serenity, wishes to offer his gratitude for unexpected arrival and aid of your warriors.” the young man said.

“Please tell His Serenity we are honored.” Tomas said the same words to the rest of the embassy and they gave a formal bow in response.

“Ruggiero, I would like for the opportunity to speak with Tomas myself.”

“Are you certain, Your Serenity?” The younger man asked, slightly taken aback.

“Yes,” Ruggiero had stepped aside.

“Tomas, I hope the embassy has enjoyed the city so far?” Tomas repeated the words to the embassy.

“Benencia is like nothing I have seen before, it is astonishingly beautiful.” Harukata remarked without a hint of contempt.

“I have been to Sakai and see why your traders called it the Benenica of the East. Although I must admit I am unsure if I can call Benencia the Sakai of the West since they seem so different, despite their similarities.” Bansho said.

“Signore, Sebastiano told me about you and your embassy’s exploits I am curious, they were apparently quite used to the ship, and fighting boarding actions. Are their similar such ships and tactics in the land of Giapon?”

“Not originally, the House of Ouche had through fortune and tolerance manage to come by shipwrecks and marooned sailors, and learned how to build and operate ships with their help. The Duke and his men are retainers of this house Ouche As for the fighting style, the Giaponese decide most of their naval battles with boarding actions, and prefer close quarters combat.” Tomas said choosing to omit the more coercive measures brought about by Harukata.

“I see, are the people of Giapon Christian?” The Doge asked.

“A few have seen the light of The Lord Your Serenity, but many remain pagans who follow the teachings of the Boutta whose followers are divided into sects place emphasis on certain teachings, with some incorporating the local gods.”

“Hmm it is slightly disappointing but, better heathens than the Turks." The Doge remarked with a small smile on his face." If you do not mind my asking What exactly would bring these men across the world?”

“A desire for reassurance, as they could see foreign people and foreign faiths as sources of their conflict to their lands, and so wish to learn of them and our faith, and if they are threats. The land of Giapon was much like lands of Germania are now, divided by war and at times torn apart by faith.” Tomas, explained.

“So they seek to prevent such things by visiting these lands for new information?” The Doge assumed.

“Yes, Your Serenity.”

“Then these men need not fear from us, unless they decide on anymore questionable heroics.” The Doge explained as the woman sitting next to him began to lean towards his ear. “My beloved wife wishes to know what sort of cultural arts are practiced within your lands, and what sort of plants grow there.[7]

“The Giaponese enjoy dance, poetry, ceremonial arrangements especially having to do with a drink called Chai, and a game of His majesty’s preference Quemare. Giapon itself as a land with many beautiful flowers and herbs such that they have their own style of medicine called Campo.”[8]

The conversation would continue, but the Tensho embassy would not leave Venice so soon. A conversation had broken out a group of Turkish men within Venice.

“The strangers from Jiaponya are here in this very city. What are we to do?”

“We must visit them and give word to the Sultan himself, before they leave.”

[1] Rome had a problem with criminals and prostitutes, that returned under Gregory XIII.
    [2] Pope Gregory XIII born Ugo Boncompagni.
    [3] Francisco Cabral
    [4] Francisco Cabral was a Jesuit who did not care for adapting to Japanese way as his predecessors did, here he does not do so and gets rebuked by an angry Yoshimoto.
    [5] Venice was a city with seven sections, While Sebastiano refers to Sebastiano Venier, who was the Venetian commander at Lepanto, and in OTL a future doge
    [6] The Shield Room, occasionally a room for the Doge to receive guests
    [7] The woman is the Doge's wife Lordana Marcello, a woman noted for her intelligence and interest in Botany, which saw her worked used as presumably palliative cures during the 1575 plague in Venice. Lordana would have died in 1572, leaving Alvise Mocegeniro depressed as a result.
    [8] Japan had it's own take on Chinese herbal medicine called Kampo.

Last edited:
    Part 39: An Impromptu Meeting, The Tongsinsa of 1574
  • Venice

January 27th, 1574

The Tensho Embassy found themselves faced unexpected visitors. They approached wearing turbans, with modest robes. A man with a gut had slightly stepped forward, but this scene had started to gather many curious onlookers and with them several guards.

"Hello, I would say friend but I am unsure where your people stand with my Sultan. I am Hizir Orhanoglu, I am but a simple merchant, but I had figured myself and my fellow merchants, should find out information about this strangely armed embassy." The man called Hizir had said to Tomas with an accent. [1]

"I must inform Lord Harucata."

"My Lord, these Turuko want to talk to us, they are obviously unsure about our intentions."

"I take it they are not happy about our actions with the Sacred Ikki." Harukata said knowing Tomas reaction, who shot Harukata an annoyed glare. "I will hear them."

Suppressing the urge to sigh, Tomas turned towards the Turuko merchant. "My Lord is willing to listen to your questions."

Upon hearing this a man dressed in armor gathered near the rest of the guards, watching both parties.

"He has my gratitude. If you are a diplomatic mission, why did you assist in a battle against our forces and if the rumors are true kill Occhiali?"

"My Lord was curious as to how our peoples engaged in naval combat and if it was different from their style of combat." Tomas words left Hizir and the impromptu Turkish delegation in stunned silence.

"Is this some form of a perverse joke? You expect me to believe that your embassy sailed near a large naval battle to observe, and close enough to actually be attacked? What is next will your embassy observe conflict on by straying close to it as well, or maybe they are curious if lovemaking is different in this land, instead of their own, will they observe that too?" Hizir's words only caused Tomas to finally sigh, and the crowd that gathered around them to laugh.

"I had tried to stop them from doing something suicidal." Tomas said defensively.

"Clearly they did so regardless. My apologies, but I do not feel you should go any further and lead a church as is your faith's custom, you are clearly a terrible shepherd," Hizir remarked to more laughter from the people around them.

"I grew up in Seville, and could hardly lead my childhood friends. I suppose it was a sign from God that if I were ever to end up shipwrecked in a foreign land only to lead the natives back to my home, that I would be forced to face parts of a great Turkish armada for my lack of charisma."

"It must be true, then God does work in mysterious ways, for I expected to simply trade wears for the Sultan, not play emissary to demon worshiping people who supposedly steal people's souls." Tomas only blinked in response. What exactly is the faith that these people follow, I heard they are either idol worshipers or apparently followers of your faith."

"This is not a simple question to answer. We have made some converts, but they follow both parts of their traditional religion and the teachings of Boutta, and are neither allies or enemies of any of the sovereigns in these lands." Tomas's words had caused Hizir to feel a strange mix of relief and sorrow.

"Priest, why do these Turuko, or just the peoples of these lands in general care so much about what faith we follow?"

"The Turuko are followers of a prophet called Mahouma, it is complicated. They claim to follow the same deity as we do, they even believe in Iesu even if he is not the son of Our Lord we have had much bloodshed between our followers as out late." Harukata had raised an eyebrow before taking a deep breath.

"This is not complicated, this is just foolishness! Harukata shouted. Your peoples fight with one another over what might as well be trivial differences in their own faiths, that seem to spring from close enough sources. At least back home the monks kept their conflicts among themselves, even if it was as pointless as which interpretation of which sutra to follow."

"This 'foolishness' has seen people kidnapped and enslaved!"

"Are you sure that is not just a political struggle given a different face?"

"I refuse to talk more about this subject if you are going to take it so lightly!" Tomas said showing rare anger "Are there any other questions you intended to ask?"

"Yes, do they intend to spread their faith to our lands, or do they have anything better to go spread?"

"My lord wishes to know if your people will spread your faith to their lands, or if they wish to trade with them?"

"My people in particular? No. Although there are other brothers of our faith in other lands who may do so. Have you overstayed your welcome there?" Hizir replied, his last statement, in particular, saw a mocking smile on his face.

"No, My lord finds what he sees as our "enthusiasm" for religiously motivated violence quite foolish."

"I have a few more questions but I would like for you and lord to sign the document we have prepared to bring back to the Sultan." Hizir said carrying a quil and inkwell

"Doesn't this land have a better way to write than just bird feathers?" Harukata remarked.

"No, but truth be told I was never really all that good writing in your script myself." Tomas said in response.

The meeting had ended on amicable enough terms and the Tensho embassy prepared for the last two stops on their journey.

February 20th, 1574

Istanbul, Rumelia Elayet, Ottoman Empire

Solitary laughter had erupted from the Sultans throne room. Sultan Selim with his Grand Vizir Sokollu Mehmed Pasha.

"Curiosity, mere curiosity, an entire fleet lost, not by the will of Allah but because of the insane curiosity of men from the Far East." Sultan Selim said in a semi-delirious state as he stopped laughing.

"That is correct, My Sultan." Hizir had said cautiously. "These Jiaponca have had contacts with the Dhimini, but they are heathens, apparently just idol worshipers with no real concern for what happens here."

"Is that so? It is a bitter comfort that comes from the most unlikely of sources." Selim remarked, "Please see to it, that this man is rewarded." Selim said to his Grand Vizier.

Sokollu Pasha and Hizir had begun to walk away from the throne room. "Thank you, Your Excellency, for hearing me out as more than someone telling tall tales."

"I would expect a merchant to at least be honest most of the time, but I am impressed with your initiative in helping clear up the situation with these strangers nonetheless, as unlikely as it seems. If I may be honest with you this situation has at least taken some worry off the Sultan's mind, that he can deal with more urgent situations." Hizir took Sokollu's comment as a compliment.

"I am uncertain of what news travels through these halls, and I have no time for gossip, trying to compile all of the insane stories on these foreigners were quite daunting in and of themselves. Come what may my father and grandfather were subjects of the house of Osman, and my sons and grandsons will be as well."

"I am reassured to hear about your loyalty, but kind of stories did you have to listen."

"That the Jiaponca worshiped demons, or they a nation of Dhimini brought in to save them from us, and even they steal people's souls through cutting off the head. All they are heathens with a few dhimini converts, and they having come from a war torn land wish to know if we or the infidels intend to cause chaos in their lands."

"Hmph, they have caused enough chaos here." Sokollu remarked on the irony of the Jiaponca mission itself causing that which they wished to avoid in their land in the lands of others.

March 12th, 1574

Muromachi Palace, Kyoto, Yamashiro Province

Shogun Yoshimoto had received guests from Chosen. Yoshimoto had delayed the prospect of asking the Chosen government to send an embassy for at least several years to stabilize the country. However, in this age where the nation would look outward for its own future, it would be prudent to give their western neighbor reassurance. [2]

Before the Shogun stood three men wearing black wide-brimmed hats they were emissaries from Chosen, along with them was an interpreter. They were Hwang Yun-Gun, Kim Seong-Il, and Ho Seung. [2]

"Lord, I present to you on behalf the King Senzo Ki Yungiru, as a chief ambassador with Kimu Son'iru, and Ho Son as vice ambassador and recording secretary." The interpreter said with a little hint of an accent.

"I am glad you accepted my request for an embassy even if it is quite late. Please before we begin negotiations, let us eat, I hope you enjoy the meal some of the food has been made with inspiration from the Nanban."

The Joseon interpreter repeated this to the delegation who raised their eyes in curiosity.

"Hmph should we be insulted they are willing to serve us the food of these Barbarians?" Kim whispered.

"Can we really call them the barbarians, if they at least eat meat?" Hwang asked with a slight smile.

This caused the Korean delegation to share a small chuckle as various meals were presented before them. the meals had ranged from the typical food of the land, rice and various prepared fish, including some that seemed to be covered in a strange shell, as well as tea. All present had begun to eat the food that was prepared for them.

Ho Seung had tried the strange fish and found it quite contradictory in texture if still surprisingly tasty. He turned towards the interpreter to ask the Shogun what kind of food it was.

"If he must know, the dish is tenpura a Nanban recipe, it is quite popular if bland, in my opinion, I prefer our more traditional foods myself, but I hope it is to your liking." [3]

"Ho, says he finds the new food delicious, if strangely contradictory."

The banquet had continued on until all of the participants were finished.

"I trust this meal was to everyone's liking?"

"Yes, they quite enjoyed the meal."

"I am gladdened they approve. I called for this meeting because I wish to offer both my reassurances to your sovereign and trade." Yoshimoto said.

"Then what of these "Red Seal" warriors that can be bought and sold. His Majesty may be concerned" Hwang had asked with a slight tone of suspicion.

While I have lent my approval to have our warriors offer their services abroad, I have no desire to wage war, our land had seen chaotic."

"Then what happens if they take part in a nation's internal struggle, or are even hired by rebellions?" Hwang asked.

"It is part of the reason why I would like to engage in trade, these Red Seal units are soldiers equipped and trained by each clan personally I would not foist off brigands and bandits to other lands, but before they are sent out contracts are to be signed with official representatives. I have no interest in disrupting another nation's internal politics."

When the interpret repeated the Shogun's words Hwang urgently turned towards his co-ambassador and court scribe. "Gentlemen I know we have disagreements on who is pure, but whatever happens we must not let our disputes come down to recruiting Ilbon-eo warriors to solve them." [4]

"Do you believe things will get that bad?" Kim asked, surprised by Hwang's statement.

"No, but I would rather they not if we can help it." Hwang said.

"If I may make a suggestion perhaps we should, at least accept the offer of normalization and trade and report this back to His Majesty."

"Then how should we describe the Ilbon threat?"

"We must at least describe what their sovereign plans to do with this "Red Seal" system. Whether or not he is honest in his intentions we may not know."

"My Lord we thank you for hospitality and we shall make sure His Majesty hears of your offer of trade and good relations." the interpreter said, while the ambassadors bowed.

April 8th,1574

Hanyang, Kingdom of Joseon [5]

The Tongsinsa had returned from Ilban, and made their way to the capital to present their findings to King Seonjo. Along with the King where several ministers including Yi I, Jeong Cheol, and Ryu Seong-ryong. Sitting on a throne was Seonjo himself, a man of only 22 summers of age, who requested the ambassadors present their findings personally. [6]

"Your Majesty." the ambassadors said bowing at the same time.

"What concerning news do you have to report from Ilbon?" The King asked, with Kim motioning Hwang to speak first.

"The sovereign of Ilbon, Yosimoto of the Imagawa clan wants to engage in trade and normalize relations. Yet he is also allowing his countrymen to partake in what can only be called a mercenary system where Ilbon-eo warriors would be trained and equipped by their clans. They would be regulated by carefully worded contracts."

"But we are uncertain if this means they are willing to wage war. Their sovereign says that they do not want conflict and is trying to pacify his own land after a long period of conflict. Perhaps that is why he wants to send them abroad." Kim remarked.

"Very well, what is your opinions." The king had asked.

"This could be a troublesome development, if left unchecked, perhaps we should send more expeditions to Ilbon" Yi I said.

"Your Majesty, perhaps we should invest in defenses, and possible training for new troops to defend the South." said Ryu.

Jeong Cheol stepped forward. "Your Majesty surely we have more to go off on than mere suspicions?"

Annoyance crossed the King's face. "That is enough, the Ilbon-eo could be a threat, if we do not take them seriously. We shall build some defenses in the south, and you three are going to make more frequent visits to Ilbon" the King said referring to the Tongsinsa.

The Ambassador's outwardly smiled, and thanked the King for this new task, for they dared not show the horror that crossed their minds, until they were alone.

[1] There were Turkish merchants in Venice.

[2] These missions where know as Tongsinsa to the Joseon and Tsūshinshi to Japanese were a series of missions between Joseon Korea and Japan of the Ashikaga and Tokugawa. These men were the ambassadors of what would the 1590 Tongsinsa to Japan to gauge Hideyoshi's intentions.

[3] Tempura was one of the many things that made their way from Japan from Europe, Portugal in particular. ATL instead of it coming from Nagasaki, it comes from Yamaguchi instead.

[4] Joseon was plagued by political infighting due to its court culture. At first, there were two factions, the bureaucrats vs the scholars. The scholars eclipsed the bureaucrats but various splits started due to issues with court appointments, in this case, the split has yet to happen is between what would be known the as the Eastern and Western factions. The Westerners were scholars who served during the reign of Myeongjong, (1534-1567), while the Easterners came to power under Seonjo the current king, who saw themselves with as uncorrupt. Hwang Yun Gil was a Westerner, with Kim Seong-Il and Ho Seung as Easterners.

The OTL embassy with Hideyoshi was during a time where both factions really disliked the other and could have either made the Imjin War better or worse for Korea. Hwang believed the Japanese were a threat while Kim believed they were not, Kim's views won out for a time. That would be part of a larger trend of the scholar factions, obstructing, splitting, purging and counter purging against each other.

[5] Modern day Seoul

[6] Seonjo invited many prominent scholars to head the government, these men chief among them.

Last edited: