A Storm Over Okehazama Redux: A Sengoku Japan TL

Why did you have to have Seiwa lineage to become Shogun?

I knew the Toyotomi were "just" regents, but I always saw that as them trying to do something different.

Why did you have to have Seiwa lineage to become Shogun?

I knew the Toyotomi were "just" regents, but I always saw that as them trying to do something different.

Apparently, to keep the bloodline pure, it had to be anyone related to the Imperial family, but the Seiwa Genji was the most powerful branch of the family. This was after the first shogun Minamoto no Yoritomo's two sons and successors were assassinated leaving a distant relative of the Kujo family to be selected by the Kamakura Hojo, and later 6 princes of the Imperial family.

Hideyoshi was at least trying to maintain his family's power that he had built up.

Part 12: New Laws of the New Shogunate
September 8th, 1563

Muromachi Palace, Kyoto

Imagawa Yoshimoto had called a meeting of his retainers. While it would be too soon to enforce his authority, it would not stop the creation of a new set of laws.

The Temple Laws of the Imagawa would eventually be expanded, so that sectarian conflict would be eliminated, all Buddhist temples would be forced to register with the Shogunate and disarm or risk being disarmed by force. If temples had disputes they were to be taken up by the provincial governor. [1]

The Provinces where to be governed by one lord for each province. The Imagawa clan proper where to maintain their control over Suruga, Totomi, in addition to Yamashiro. Mikawa Province would be governed by the Matsudaira, Owari by the Oda, but under the Regency of Oda Nobuhiro, until Kimyomaru came of age. Ise and Iga would be governed by the Kitabatake and Morita, and the Kuki and Matsunaga would control Shima and Yamato provinces respectively.

The Miyoshi clan had agreed to submit to the Imagawa and would be subject to the same laws, and their land would be divided. The Miyoshi clan proper elected to retain Izumi Province and with it the city of Sakai. The Atagi and Sogo clans would rule Awaji and Sanuki provinces. Awa would be governed by the Asahina, and Kawachi would be granted to Hosokawa Fujitaka.

Another law was the establishment of village councils and the creation of a system of petition boxes, to help keep the common people's concerns addressed. This council had adjourned leaving only Yoshimoto and Ujizane alone. [2]

"Father have you given my concerns some thought?"

"Ujizane, You do not approve of having clans submit to us?"

"No, it makes disarming them too much of a problem, what happens if we must face the Hojo, Takeda, or Uesugi, we need the power to enforce our rule, and they will not give up without a fight."

"Perhaps we can at least come to an arrangement with Shingen and Ujiyasu, but for now we wait, our more pressing concerns are to reign in Kii and Settsu."

Japan by December 1563

Sengoku start2.png

[1] A law based on a Tokugawa law, It was more to keep track of people in OTL, think of it as a pseudo serfdom law

[2] This has its basis on a custom that was once nationally supported, but by the Sengoku period supported by only a few daimyo, Yoshimoto being one of them.

As the map shows not much has changed aside from the Imagawa now controlling Miyoshi lands.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Imagawa will get as attached the arquebus as the Oda Nobunaga did IOTL. I mean it was the main way Oda won after all so I don't see why they wouldn't. I also understand that you don't think that Imjin war was inevitable from your last thread correct? May I ask why you believe that since I've seen it from elsewhere that it made sense to export the tens of thousands of just unemployed men who only know how to kill people out of Japan in an invasion to make sure it doesn't cause big societal problems. Though then going to conquer China afterwards is likely not going to be the goal since the Imagawa are neither the insanely ambitious Oda Nobunaga or in the particularly unstable position of Hideyoshi.

May I ask why you believe that since I've seen it from elsewhere that it made sense to export the tens of thousands of just unemployed men who only know how to kill people out of Japan in an invasion to make sure it doesn't cause big societal problems.

Mercenary companies! Send them off to carve out little fiefdoms in Indonesia and Indochina or something! :p

I wonder if the Imagawa will get as attached the arquebus as the Oda Nobunaga did IOTL. I mean it was the main way Oda won after all so I don't see why they wouldn't. I also understand that you don't think that Imjin war was inevitable from your last thread correct? May I ask why you believe that since I've seen it from elsewhere that it made sense to export the tens of thousands of just unemployed men who only know how to kill people out of Japan in an invasion to make sure it doesn't cause big societal problems. Though then going to conquer China afterwards is likely not going to be the goal since the Imagawa are neither the insanely ambitious Oda Nobunaga or in the particularly unstable position of Hideyoshi.

The Imjin War came about because Hideyoshi had little legitimacy outside of Imperial favor, and possibly because he wanted to follow in Nobunaga's footsteps, although I question that part. The problem with just sending troops somewhere is whoever does not go still has their power base intact. Many of Hideyoshi's allies and the clans of the west took part in that war, with the Uesugi being an outlier, the same forces that would, for the most part, back Hideyori and comprise the Western forces. This left Ieyasu and the eastern clans still powerful.

Also, Nobunaga and Hideyoshi started quite late. Nobunaga had only managed to take Mino Province from the Saito in 1567 and managed to control most of Japan by his death in 1582. Hideyoshi had to race back to the Captial, fight for control over the Oda against forces supported by Ieyasu, then finish what Nobunaga started by 1590, also Nobunaga rose to power when the Takeda, Uesugi, Hojo, Mori, Chosokabe, and Shimazu clans were either powerful or started to rise during that time frame.

The Imagawa will have a much shorter period of warfare, they have a larger base, fewer enemies at least for now, and they won't have to worry about multiple rising rivals. As for what to do about excess men, there are still sword hunts to be conducted pacified regions to be demilitarized and the Tohoku region to be divided. Those and the mercenary system I've planned is still making an appearance. So with no problems of legitimacy and more active measure to curb both powerful vassals and a militarized population, I don't see the Imjin war as being inevitable.

I'm curious, is this new Imgawa plan for their vassals OTL, mentioned in their records or something of your own creation?

It was something the Oda and to a lesser extent, Toyotomi did, which was to give land to their retainers, confirm others in their holdings, but keep them limited to a province. However, I am making it more of an offical a law earlier.

So I have another question are the Imagawa going to move their capital outside of Kyoto like how the Tokugawa did and if so where would they move it? Or will that be spoilers?

Part 13: The Cub Schemes Against the Tiger: The Shinano Disturbance Begins
So I have another question are the Imagawa going to move their capital outside of Kyoto like how the Tokugawa did and if so where would they move it? Or will that be spoilers?

OTL Toyko was a consequence of the Matsudaira/Tokugawa agreeing to leave their traditional power base to their new power base in Kanto, with Edo becoming a second capital of sorts as the Tokugawa relied on its vassals. I have toyed around with the idea of Sunpu as an ATL Tokyo, which could work given Shizuoka is one of Japan's 20 designated cities with a high population.

February 2nd, 1564

Tsutsujigasaki Palace, Kai Province

Takeda Shingen was in a meeting with his retainers. The era they lived in was chaotic, and here was proof. Uesugi Kenshin had sought an alliance, to defend against the Imagawa.

"My Lord, do we know of the Hojo's position on this, perhaps they are eager to end hostilities with the Uesugi?"

"Perhaps but one thing is clear, I have worked too hard to ensure our clan's position, I will not simply surrender it to Yoshimoto. I want an emissary sent to Ujiyasu, to see if the Uesugi have sent an offer to him as well."

Takeda Yoshinobu had left Tsutsujigasaki with Kiso Yoshiyasu.

"Master Yoshiyasu, are our conspirators in place?" Yoshinobu asked?

"Yes, if nothing changes we are willing to make our move, you may need to convince a few others, to support us."

February 22nd, 1564

Odawara Castle, Sagami Province

Hojo Ujiyasu sat with Shingen's brother Takeda Nobushige.

"So you believe Kenshin is looking for reassurances against Yoshimoto?" Ujiyasu had asked

"Yes Lord Ujiyasu."

"I have my doubts that Yoshimoto would move against any one of us alone, Kenshin is right to seek an alliance. For now, we are willing to agree, I am considering sending my son Saburo as a hostage. However, we will wait and see what moves Yoshimoto will make. [1]

April 2nd, 1564

Yoshida-Koriyama Castle

"Do you think Duke Tacamoto is pleased, with the changes made to their ships Gilberto?"

"I hope so Dinis, I could only work with so little,"

The men were foreigners impressed into the service of the Ouchi, and were sitting at what passed for a drinking establishment in the castle town. Before they could continue, a new person had joined them. A foreigner like them but wearing the armor of one the native warriors and carrying two swords at his waist. Both men made a mocking gesture by bowing towards the warrior.

"Don Antonio, what vile manner of beast have you vanquished? what princesses have you saved?" Gilberto had said trying to suppress a chuckle.

"None, the King wants me to serve as his guard with the Atamoto. How has working on these so-called ships been for the two of you?"

"It's awful, who thinks putting a castle on a boat and calling it a ship is somehow a good idea?" Dinis complained.

"Well, with luck and some more unlucky bastards like us, we could build an actual ship soon. Duke Tacamoto is really insistent to build a ship he believes could cross the oceans."

The conversation would continue between the three men into the rest of the night.

May 8th, 1564

Sunpu Palace, Suruga Province

The Imagawa had recently secured both Kii and Settsu Provinces, securing most of Kansai. The Suzuki was given Kii provided they aid in the Imagawa in their usage of muskets. While the Udono would receive Settsu establishing a fortress at Ozaka on the grounds of Ishiyama Temple. Abbot Kosa was forced to accept that a new temple could be built but not as a fortress, and with greatly reduced in size, but they would be protected from sectarian violence.

Negotiations had also gone underway between the Imagawa and the Hojo, Uesugi, and Takeda. The three clans were willing to accept the Imagawa's authority provided, they get to form close associations with other provinces they are giving up. However, a crisis had reared its head. Discontent had risen in the Takeda led by Shingen's eldest son Yoshinobu, who had gathered allies in Shinano.

As the young Yoshinobu was Yoshimoto's son-in-law, this put Yoshimoto in a difficult position. Either back Yoshinobu and risk an all-out war or simply let it slide. Yoshimoto had a war council comprising nearby lords to call upon for a possible conflict.

"This conflict could be the perfect opportunity, we can secure the Eastern half of the country." Ujizane had stated.

"Yet it would still be risky, Sunpu would be their first target," Motoyasu had spoken next.

"This is assuming a conflict breaks out, I have sent out a message to at least encourage reconciliation."

May 13th, 1564

Kai-Shinano Border

Shingen had arrived at the border with a small entourage including his younger brother's Nobushige and Nobukado, across from him was his not just his eldest son, but his brothers Suwa Katsuyori and Unno Nobukatsu, a representative of the Nishina, and Yoshinobu's tutor Obu Toramasa. [3]

"Yoshinobu, why do you act so foolishly? I have no intention to fight Yoshimoto but I will support him on my own terms, and Ujiyasu and even that bastard Kenshin intend to do the same. This conflict will get us nowhere."

"Your actions saw me get this scar on my face, and nearly saw us beaten at Kawanakajima if I could not trust your leadership then, what makes you think I could trust it now?" Yoshinobu replied with a scowl on his face.

"You can trust me because I have not shied away from harsh decisions, for our future, even if in this case it means servitude."

"Then will you take the harshest decision of all and step aside for new leadership?"

Shingen this time had a scowl on his face as well. "What have you done aside from starting a stillborn rebellion, because you have not gotten your way? You insolent boy, I will put you in your place, you wish to play leadership like some game, well now you must act on it."

Seeing no chance of reconciliation both sides had started to return home to prepare for war.

"Do you suppose if father were still here he would find this situation humorous?" Nobukado had asked his brothers.

"In a way, his upstart son who betrayed him with the support of his brothers, is, in turn, betrayed the same way by his upstart grandsons." replied Nobushige.

"That fool, I hope I do not have to kill him." Shingen said in a sad tone.

The Shinano Disturbance, a misleading name for a war that would engulf Chubu and Kanto had just begun.

[1] Ujiyasu's 7th son, Hojo Saburo would OTL be adopted into the Uesugi as Uesugi Kagetora.

[2] Close to OTL Yoshinobu had plotted against his father, here he is not found out.

[3] Shingen had put his other sons in control of various clans in Shinano to main power in such a large region. Suwa Katsuyori, in OTL would become Takeda Katsuyori, ruled the clan of mother's side the Suwa. Note how he does not have Nobu of his father's clan, but his mother's character Yori, so instead of being known as Takeda Nobukatsu, or Katsunobu, he is Katsuyori. Unno Nobukatsu was born blind and given as an heir to the Unno family, the Nishina also had one of Shingen's sons.

Sengoku start2.png

As a bit of housekeeping, Bitchu is now under control of the Mimura clan, while Dark Red is the Takeda clan rebels under Takeda Yoshinobu. The only other changes are the Imagawa control of Kii and Settsu. The Shinano Disturbance is in a similar vein to the Tenbun Conflict which was a civil war within the Date clan of Mutsu.

Last edited:
Part 14: The Siege of Sunpu Palace and Invasion of Izu
June 5th, 1564

The Imagawa had for a long period of time had their main fortress of Sunpu, defended if not by its walls then by its nearby allies the Hojo and Takeda. However, that assurance was gone and Sunpu itself was under siege when Yoshimoto announced his intentions to support Yoshinobu. Yoshimoto over the years had added an extra layer of defenses, however, it would not deter a joint Hojo-Takeda siege.

The Takeda forces were small, Yoshimoto presumed the Takeda would be busy with Shinano Province. However, the Hojo force was quite significant, it figured the Hojo would have more resources to spare, given their proximity. Yoshimoto was confident they could out as reinforcements from Totomi and Mikawa, and if all goes well the gamble for Izu could pay off.

June 12th, 1564

Eastern Sea, 20 miles off the coast of Izu Province

The Imagawa had sent a fleet to send troops to invade Izu, with the Oda and Kitabatake forces providing troops and the Kuki providing naval expertise. The Imagawa forces were sent with two objectives first to seize Izu and put Odawara Castle in danger. Seeking to redeem themselves the Rokakku had gathered former retainers and troops and volunteered as the Vanguard. As the Imagawa fleet started to near the coast a small Hojo fleet was spotted.

The Imagawa sent a mix of smaller craft mixed in with medium sized ships first. Both sides had started to skirmish before their ships engaged in boarding actions. The Rokkaku had fought hard and managed to seize several smaller craft. The medium ships of the Kuki navy had seized the rest. After executing what few captives there were the Imagawa navy proceeded to land near the Kano River.

June 30th, 1564

The Hojo-Takeda forces remained outside Sunpu, but word had traveled that the Imagawa had managed to land a force in Izu and attack Nirayama Castle. The Hojo had retreated to defend Izu Province, while the Takeda retreated towards Kai. Yoshimoto gave the order to march his force towards Kai Province while providing orders for Sena Ujitoshi and Matsudaira Motoyasu to assist in the attack on Izu Province.

July 6th, 1564

Uehara Castle, Shinano Province

Suwa Katsuyori did not like this situation at all. His father had assembled an army to take Uehara Castle and try to force his brother to surrender. Fortunately for him, his father had managed to renovate the castle. However, the Suwa were a warrior clan descended from Suwa Myojin himself and Katsuyori had intended to live up to that reputation. [1]

The Suwa was not alone as the Kiso, Unno, and Nishina had troops prepared to fight with them. the Takeda rebels adopted Kakuyoku formation spreading into a wide and enveloping formation along the Kami River. the Takeda simply advanced, before adopting a Choda formation. Both sides vanguards had skirmished retreating before the main lines had clashed. The allied formation while wide could not penetrate the depth of the Takeda formation. [2]

In an act of desperation, Katsuyori had taken his personal guard and what remained of the vanguard to cross the river and attempt to encircle the Takeda. Katsuyori's unit had made it towards the rear of the Takeda, only to be confronted by a larger force with Furinkazan banners. Directly in front of Katsuyori's forces stood Takeda Shingen himself! Katsuyori's blood ran cold, but before he could order his forces to pull back, Shingen had sent his forces to attack. [3]

The fighting between both units had broken out, but the Suwa had held out before disengaging. The next several days would see sporadic clashes between the rebels and the Takeda, but with no clear winner.

[1] One of the names of Takeminataka-no-kami a God of wind, water, agriculture, hunting, and warfare. The Suwa clan traced their lineage from the keeper of the shrine of Lake Suwa, as Shinto shrines ran in the family.

[2] Kakuyoku or Crane wing formation was a wide formation with a V-shaped line, it was what Shingen had used at Kawanakajima. while the Choda is long serpent was a formation that emphasized depth.

[3] Shingen's personal battle standard named after the seventeenth and eighteenth of chapter 7 in the Art of War.

Sorry if this part is a little weak.

Note: I've changed the above map in the previous to better reflect the actual makeup of Shinano, not all of it rebelled against Shingen.

Part 15: The Imagawa Prepare to Attack the Tiger's Den
Nirayama Castle, Izu Province

July 12th, 1564

The Imagawa had recently seized Nirayama Castle in Izu. Yet the Hojo were poised to take it back, Hojo Ujimasa had led his force to at least preserve the Hojo's hold on Izu if they could not take Suruga. The Hojo had managed to surround the castle, despite being tired and had suffered loses from Sunpu. Ujimasa had ordered his forces to storm Nirayama Castle.

The Imagawa forces consisted of a token force from the Kuki clan, with the Oda and Kitabatake comprising most of the defenders, being led by Oda Nobuhiro and Kitabatake Tomonori. The defenders had started to fire upon the Hojo with a combination of arrows and muskets. The Hojo was slightly driven back but regrouped to scale the walls.

The Oda forces were armed with long spears and braced for the Hojo to either climb over the walls or break open the gate. The Hojo forces had found themselves cut down, however breaking down the hastily repaired gate allowed more pressure to be applied to the besiegers. The Hojo had only managed to seize one level of Nirayama Castle, before nightfall as back and forth fighting continued throughout the night.

July 13th, 1564

The Hojo resumed their attack only for the Hojo to learn of the advancing Imagawa forces, the Hojo Ujimasa had retreated. Motoyasu and Ujitoshi had approached Nirayama Castle to greet the defenders.

"Lord Motoyasu, we are grateful for your arrival." Tomonori said.

"Think nothing of it, we are here to relieve you so you can return home, as soon as possible."

"I'm sorry this wreck of a castle does not have much to celebrate with." Nobuhiro remarked.

"My lords if I may, perhaps Shimoda Castle may have more alcohol, it would at least be in a much better state than this castle."

"Who are you?" asked Ujitoshi.

"I am Rokkaku Yoshiharu, formerly a lord in Omi, I fight in Lord Tomonori's service."

"Commander Yoshiharu and his men are quite impressive."

The Imagawa would advance onward to take the rest of Izu Province.

September 30th, 1564

Yoshimoto's incursion into Kai had only managed a tenuous hold on Nakano Castle in the south. Yoshimoto had sent orders for the lords of Mikawa and Owari to prepare to assist Yoshinobu's forces in Shinano by way of Mikawa. Yoshimoto would prepare his own forces to seize Odawara Castle, various forces from the Imagawa in Kansai were sent via boat to Izu Province. In recognition of their service, the Rokkaku was permitted to govern Izu Province. For the now the Imagawa advance would stop

October 6th, 1564

"Lord Shingen, we have received news the Uesugi are prepared to march next spring." a messenger had reported.

"Very well." To think it has come to this, needing Kenshin's help to secure my own land and drive Yoshimoto back. My foolish sons to their credit have not wavered.

Japan by the end of 1564.

Sengoku start2.png

Last edited:
Part 16: The Battle of the Fuefuki River and the First Siege of Tsutsujigaski Palace
April 17th, 1565

Fuefuki River, 10 miles from Tsutsujigasaki Palace,Kai Province

The Imagawa march towards Tsutsujigaski Palace, would not go unopposed. The Takeda had received aid from the unlikeliest source Uesugi Kenshin himself.

The Imagawa army had stopped between the meeting point of the Kamanashi and Fuefuki Rivers. Yoshimoto’s senior commanders Okabe Motonobu, Asahina Yasuyoshi, and Sekiguchi Chikanaga, and Udono Nagamochi were given command of the vanguard, rearguard, and flanks respectively. The Imagawa army had several thousand hand gunners with both shields to set up makeshift defenses, and cases for their weapons as recent innovations.

The Imagawa had adopted a gyroin formation, which saw Motonobu’s forces form a semicircle with Yasuyoshi and Chikanaga commanding the flanks. The Uesugi advanced in a loose formation, with the Takeda advancing behind them at a slower pace on the flanks.

The Imagawa sent a small force to screen the Uesugi, both sides had skirmished with archers and muskets before withdrawing as the Uesugi continued to advance. Motonobu's forces continued to remain where they were as the Uesugi finally attacked. The Imagawa and Uesugi largely remained in a stalemate, however, the Uesugi were rotating fresh units of troops to drive and brake the Imagawa center. [1]

the Takeda cavalry had ridden around the Uesugi to the flanks of the Imagawa, with infantry not far behind them. The cavalry had dismounted and join the infantry, with the Takeda forces advancing in waves. The Imagawa had set up makeshift defensive positions with their gunners behind shields and with the rest of the Imagawa flanks as support. The Imagawa had fired off several volleys, to varying degrees of success, but the Takeda had reached the Imagawa flanks. [2]

The fighting saw the Takeda and Uesugi forces making little headway but gradually tiring the Imagawa army. The Takeda's first wave had retreated, while the Uesugi and Takeda sent in fresh troops. The Imagawa had remained in position and withstood the second set of attacks.

Yoshimoto had given orders for the rearguard to move around their own flanks and strike at the Takeda. The attack by the rear guard was followed up with the flanks attacking the Takeda army, the Takeda were driven back allowing detachments from the flanks to relieve the front. The Uesugi army had pulled back to join with the Takeda forces.

Uesugi Kenshin had ridden towards the Takeda army to meet Takeda Shingen.

"This plan of yours has failed Shingen, what are we to do now? The Imagawa seem undaunted in their march," Kenshin had said with an annoyed tone.

"We retreat and let Yoshimoto believe he has won. I will head back to Tsutsujigaski and man the defenses, you are to retreat in a different direction, and start moving towards the palace when I give the signal."

"And if this plan fails too?" asked Kenshin, his tone unchanging.

"Then retreat back to Echigo if need be, that foolish brat will get his wish." Shingen had said with a tone of resignation.

April 18th, 1565

The Imagawa Army had besieged Tsutsujigasaki Palace, while not an actual castle it was still formidable in own right. The Imagawa were preparing to assault the castle when the Takeda sallied out catching them off-guard. The Takeda forces charged the Imagawa who only had a little time to organize, with both sides clashing in a disorganized melee. The fighting saw the Imagawa make a temporary withdraw, while the Takeda formed a Kakuyoku formation.

However, the Takeda was not the only threat the Imagawa faced, as the Uesugi were marching from the west. The Imagawa adopting a Ganko formation and shifting their position against the incoming enemy, with the Imagawa gunners hastily forming a screening force. The Uesugi adopted an aggressive Hoshi formation to overwhelm the Imagawa

The Imagawa army had started to spread out to face the combined Takeda-Uesugi armies. With three central units led by Yasuyoshi, Motonobu, and Chikanaga backed by four smaller units and a 3 unit vanguard in front of them, with several clusters of gunners only slightly behind the vanguard.

The Uesugi would advance towards the left unit while the Takeda attacked the vanguard and remaining two units. The initial Takeda attack drove the vanguard back and forced the central and right units together leaving them under threat to be enveloped, while the left unit was in danger of being overwhelmed by the Uesugi. The Imagawa only had four smaller units in reserve to engage the enemy, they split into separate commands of two units. One group would attack the Uesugi and the other group would attack the Takeda.

The force attacking the Takeda struck at one of their formations wings, allowing Motonobu and Chikanaga to counter-attack the Takeda. While Yasuyoshi's unit managed to stop the Uesugi attack to a standstill. Both sides had started to pull back. Both sides had suffered serious losses with the Takeda retreating back to Tsutsujigaski, and the Uesugi preparing the march back towards to Echigo. The Imagawa would opt to retreat rather than risk another battle with the Takeda and Uesugi.

[1] A tactic Kenshin had used at the fourth Battle of Kawanakajima.

[2] Apparently the Takeda cavalry may not have existed as popularly depicted. Most Japanese horses could hardly carry an armored samurai of the period or at least not charge with them, nor did they exist as dedicated cavalry units. so cavalry was either mainly used as dragoons except for troops to dismount and fight or used as horse archers. There is an exception at Nagashino, one unit of Takeda Cavalry did ride quite fast, but they were from Kozuke in Kanto.

A apologize if it has been almost a month, last month was not kind to me at all. More updates are incoming I've taken to adding some improvements to the maps, and an index.

Last edited:
Part 17: Siege of Odawara Castle and the Second Siege of Tsutsujigasaki Palace
May 6th, 1565

The mighty fortress of the Hojo found itself under siege by the Imagawa. Having taken the castle town, Morita Joun had given orders to his co-commanders Kitabatake Harumoto, Matsunaga Hisamichi, and Suzuki Shiegehide to continue the siege. Unlike the Uesugi, the Imagawa would be prepared to stay for long as it took. In order to isolate Odawara Castle local fortresses would have to be seized. [1]

June 16th, 1565

Yoshimoto and his army had returned to Tsutsujigaski Palace to besiege it once more. Reinforcements were sent from Suruga to boost the Imagawa's numbers. The Takeda did not try to contest the siege. The best case scenario would be that Shingen would surrender, if not Yoshimoto believed that only an assault would defeat the Tiger of Kai.

Shingen sat brooding on what to do before his younger brother Takeda Nobuzane came up with a suggestion.

"Brother, I have a plan but it is quite the gamble."

"Very well, Nobuzane lets hear it."

"I'll take your place as a body double, by the time Yoshimoto finds out, it could buy us time." [2]

"Time for what, that brat will get what he wants, to be the head of a weakened clan, from the power that both my father and I spent blood, sweat and tears building up. What would be the point in fighting him now?" Shingen said in a flat tone betrayed by a bitter glare in his eyes.

"You could defeat Yoshinobu, or at least show him that if it was not for his father-in-law he would be humiliated and imprisoned."

"If it were not for Yoshimoto, Yoshinobu would be dead." Shingen said in barely concealed rage. Shingen had calmed himself "Very well, but if you know we are close to having Tsutsujigaski overwhelmed just surrender. People are the real castle and we cannot lose them."

"I understand Brother." Nobuzane replied.

September 15th, 1565

"Father, we have been isolated and the Imagawa show no sign of letting up," Hojo Ujimasa had remarked to his father Ujiyasu. While Ujimasa was head of the clan since the beginning of the year, his father still retained plenty of influence.

"Then we must negotiate with Yoshimoto, at the very least he will understand this was a difficult choice for us."

Ujimasa and Ujiyasu had gone to meet the Imagawa commanders.

"Lord Ujimasa, Lord Ujiyasu." Joun said bowing to each figure. "My Lord Yoshimoto wishes only the surrender of Odawara, but you may maintain your defenses elsewhere."

"It is a generous offer. Give Yoshimoto my regards and I hope we will meet on better terms."

October 2nd, 1565

The Imagawa had finally taken Tsutsujigasaki Palace. Yoshimoto had his guard had reached Shingen's chambers, Yoshimoto had taken a look at Shigen and noticed he looked different.

"Ah Lord Yoshimoto, it is nice to meet you, I take it your wait was productive." Shingen had said in a mocking voice Yoshimoto did not recognize. As Yoshimoto approached Shingen he noticed that he looked different before a horrible realization came over him.

"You! You are a body double?" Yoshimoto grew angry, that this foolish conflict which he hoped he could resolve quickly has had its victory tauntingly remain out of reach. Yoshimoto called for guards to detain this imposter.

[1] Odawara while a fortress that was besieged 3 times were sieges never lasted all that long. The Uesugi and Takeda sieges were called off due to larger concerns for both clans. While the Toyotomi had Odawara surrender to them after 3 months.

[2] Shigen's brothers had sometimes played the role of body doubles, aside from Takeda Nobuzane, his brother Takeda Nobukado played that role as well.

Nothing all that major to the map below, I only added Kai and Sagami Provinces to the Imagawa and changed Kanto from Yellow to Dark Green for visibility. Storywise dealing with Odawara Castle was something I was never really satisfied with, this is only marginally better, even If I've gone with less dramatic moments overall.

Sengoku start2.png

Last edited:
Part 18: The Battle of Chikuma River and the Sunpu Conference
April 15th, 1566

Komoro Castle, Shinano Province

Takeda Shingen had rallied his army for one last battle. Shingen had received word that Yoshinobu with help from the Imagawa had seized Fukashi Castle. Shingen's remaining forces would be in danger from the west and the south. His scouts had reported no Imagawa movement southward but his son was mustering forces to attack him.

However, Shingen would ensnare that foolish son of his. Shingen had spread a rumor that the Sanada family, was discontented with Shingen, and were willing to defect. Shingen had faith Sanada Masayuki would play his part well. If all went according to plan Yoshinobu would march on Komoro Castle

May 7th, 1566

Chikuma River, Shinano Province
Takeda Yoshinobu and had advanced towards Komoro Castle. Sanada Masayuki had recently offered to defect stating discontent with Shingen, Yoshinobu would strike at his idiotic and unflexible father, and then take his rightful place as head of the Takeda. Yoshinobu was prepared to face his father who had sent his own army up north to defend against Yoshinobu's advance towards Komoro.

Yoshinobu was not alone, however, aside from his forces composed of his brothers and loyal allies, the Imagawa, through their vassals the Oda and Matsudaira had each sent a small detachment of troops.

Shingen's army had taken up a Hoen formation, in preparation for Yoshinobu's forces. Yoshinobu's forces marched with the Chikuma River at their right flank, the Oda, and Matsudaira on their left. The Sanada where left to bring up the rear.

Both sides had sent out their screening forces, peppering each other with arrows before Yoshinobu main force advanced to engage his father. Shingen had started to pull his forces back, anticipating Yoshinobu's attack. Yoshinobu's main force began its attack and had begun to overwhelm Shingen's initial forces, or so it seemed as Yoshinobu encountered fierce resistance. Shingen had a tall signal banner set on fire.

Horns had blared out from behind Yoshinobu's forces, the Sanada were advancing on Yoshinobu's forces! Yoshinobu hurriedly gave orders for his rear to form a second defensive position to stop the Sanada. Yoshinobu's forces were pinned, and if the rear broke then Yoshinobu would risk being overrun. The Matsudaira proceeded to assist Yoshinobu's forces in their battle with Shingen, while the Oda did battle with the Sanada to save Yoshinobu's rear.

The initial Sanada advance was gaining momentum, only to begin to gradually slow down, as the Oda troops had joined the fray. While Shingen's defensive formation while weakened had managed to stave off his son's bolstered attack. The fighting continued for several minutes with no change in outcome.

Shingen had sat in his tent. This is pointless, I will call a truce, and hope that fool is open to reason

Yoshinobu had received startling news his father had wanted to discuss a truce he recalled his troops from the frontlines, as the Takeda did the same and saw his father riding out with his guard. Yoshinobu had gathered his guard and did the same, meeting his father alone halfway between their lines.

I could attack and possibly kill him right now, Yoshinobu thought, while both men stared at each other in silence.

"My son, I've come to offer a truce. This war is senseless, it has always been. I have made mistakes, even if they have wounded you, but those wounds can be mended and those mistakes reflected upon. However, killing my sons over a senseless conflict would be something that cannot be amended or reflected upon."

"Then what would you have me do father? recognize your infinite wisdom?" Yoshinobu said contemptuously.

"No, recognize that had your father-in-law not supported you, this outcome would be different. That you have spent resources to gain an outcome that was inevitable. If you want to surpass me, then do not make mistakes I would not have made. "You do not have to love or respect me, but are you willing to put this conflict behind us?"

Yoshinobu was still angry, but his father's words rung true. Yoshinobu extended his hand, which Shingen then clasped it, before hugging his son. Both sides had begun to withdraw.

"What will you do now father?" Yoshinobu had asked.

"I will head towards Tsutsujigasaki, to meet with Yoshimoto and tell him this war is over."

"Father, at least allow me to join you."

"Very well, Yoshinobu."

June 18th, 1566

The reconciliation of Takeda and surrender of the Hojo had led the Uesugi to follow suit, a conference was called for all parties involved. In attendance were Takeda Shingen, Takeda Yoshinobu, Suwa Katsuyori, Uesugi Kenshin, Nagao Masakage, Hojo Ujiyasu, and Hojo Ujiteru. All parties were willing to agree to negotiations set out almost a year prior.

Each Clan would give up a province to be administered by a relative or chosen retainer. The Takeda would give Shinano to the Suwa, Hojo Ujiteru would create the Edo clan and rule Musashi out of Edo, while Kozuke would be given to the Nagao under Nagao Masakage. The acceptance of the Takeda of Kai, would the eventually mean the relocation of the Takeda of Wakasa.

In the coming months, the Imagawa would return to the task of uniting Japan, by peace or force if necessary.

Map of Japan after the Shinano Disturbance.

Sengoku start3.png

Much has changed with the submission of the Takeda, Hojo, and Uesugi to the Imagawa. I have changed the color of the Honma of Sado as well, which is the small island in the northwest.

Last edited:
Part 19: Consolidation and the Kaga and Satomi Campaigns
Fall-Winter 1566

The Imagawa had begun to demand the submission of local lords. The Saito, Azai, and Asakura accepted further securing Imagawa control in central Japan. However, the question remained what to do with the more divided provinces. Beyond the lands of the Hojo and Uesugi, most of the provinces were divided between numerous lords. Shimosa Province to the East of Musashi provided access to the Boso Peninsula in the south, while the Hojo controlled most of the province, the Yuki was the only significant power of note in the area.

In cases like the Yuki, they would be given control of the Hojo's land and be forced to give up land in other provinces in exchange. However, the Satomi of Kazusa and Awa refused to. In response, the Imagawa had requested the Rokkaku, Hojo, Yuki, and Edo to force the Satomi to heel. The Satomi were beaten back at Konodai and had seized half of Kazusa and were pushing on towards Kururi Castle. The Satomi in response had fled to Tateyama Castle in Awa, and after a 30-day siege had surrendered. The Satomi would be allowed to keep Kasuza but their Vassals would be given Awa.

At this same time as the offensive against the Satomi, the Azai and Asakura were given orders to defeat the Kaga Ikki. The combined forces of the Azai and Asakura had taken Daishoji Castle and were preparing to besiege Oyama Temple the Kaga Ikki's stronghold. Oyama Temple was defended by the remaining local lords who were not pacified as well as warrior monks. Oyama Temple was quickly seized and the Kaga Ikki defeated, Kaga would be given to the Sena family, closely related to the Imagawa.

Before the year had ended plans were made to curb the strength of the feudal lords. As well as a plan to sponsor local powers in exchange for fealty, when it came dealing with the large and unruly northeastern part of the country.

Japan by the end of 1566.

Sengoku start3.png

Sorry if the update is quite small, I wanted to wrap up this particular year. I'm considering touching more on Europe and Asia next update.

Part 20: The Clan Charter System is Formed, Turmoil Breaks out in the West
March 20th, 1567

Muromachi Palace, Yamashiro Province

Yoshimoto had recently engaged in correspondence with The Jinbo, Anegakoji, and Hakateyama. They had agreed to submit under a new system suggested by his son. The feudal lords and their descendants would be allowed to govern their provinces in exchange for being reduced to one castle. The eventual plan would be to extend this system across the whole of Japan ushering in a new age for Japan. At this time Yoshimoto was also courting lords both closer to the capital and in the northeast.

May 6th, 1567

Yamaguchi Palace, Suo Province

A gathering of the major powers of Chugoku had taken place, not that Yoshinaga had much choice, Sue Harukata had been itching for a war. The Ouchi had recently taken Iwami and with its valuable silver mine and sued for peace with the Amago clan. In an effort to oppose the Imagawa, Harukata had forced Yoshinaga to call this meeting with the Amago and Yamana clans, as his faction was still in power.

Yoshinaga had half-heartedly proposed an alliance with both clans, but he more concerned with reducing Harakata's power. then trying to resist the Shogun, however this push to war had presented an opportunity while Harukata would lead a force East towards the capital, Yoshinaga could take the Sue clan hostage and with it force Harukata to back down and give control of the clan to him. [1]

June 14th, 1567

The Hatano and Isshiki had agreed to submit to Imagawa authority, while the Takeda of Wakasa had to be convinced by receiving an estate near Kyoto. Their vassal the Awaya clan where given Wakasa. In the East, Yoshimoto had received word from Date Harumune and Mogami Yoshimori, Satake Yoshiaki, and Utsunomiya Hirostuna about their willingness to support him. The Satake quickly fell in line and secured Hitachi Province, however, the Date, Mogami, and Utsunomiya would require the assistance of the Imagawa. It would be the perfect opportunity to reduce the power of feudal lords and bring order to the northwest.

However dire news had come from the West, almost outraging Yoshimoto. Apparently, Ouchi Yoshinaga had dared to rally the Amago and Yamana against him. Yes, these clans were distinguished, but the Yamana and Amago were in decline, and Yoshinaga was nothing more than a usurper and fool who could only claim his name due to his own mother. They would be dealt with in due time.

September, 8th 1567

Moscow, Tsardom of Russia

It was an uncertain time for Russia. Russia had seen tremendous success in the Livonian War, occupying the Voivodeships of Polotsk, Vitebsk, and the Duchy of Mstsislaw from Lithuania, and maintained a presence in Livonia. Yet even with a marriage alliance with Sweden, Livonia remained in turmoil. Denmark and Sweden clashed over disputes left from the recently failed Kalmar Union, Ivan was called to as a mediator between the two. [2]

Ivan's court was visited by Magnus, the Bishop of Osel-Weik and Courland, Brother to King Fredrick of Denmark and the Duke of Estonia Svante Stensson Sture representing Sweden. Each of whom who constantly presented their case. Ivan had also grown irritated with the stubborn refusal of that mere king Sigismund, it seems he would have to compromise. Ivan would make the king an offer, recognize his gains in Lithuania and surrender all of Livonia up to the Daugava, save the city of Riga. [3]

Internally the Boyars were satisfied, Prince Kurbsky had led several more campaigns into Livonia, even Ivan had wondered if he had gotten too rich for own good. [4]

October 6th, 1567

Qazvin, Safavid Empire

Shah Tahmasp, sat with the latest reports from the West, not too long after the death of Suleman, did chaos break out among the Turks. It helped that Tahmasp did not have Prince Bayezid killed, with his help Bayezid managed to gain support in the Eyalets of Baghdad, Basra, Van, and Shahrizor, and Kars initially and has even seized Mosul and Rakka. [5]

Tahmasp thoughts turned towards his own family situation. Currently, he had not decided on an heir and did not want the problems his enemies in the west were facing. As it stood the system of his father had worked for some time, but things would have to change. Tahmasp though back to his early days as Shah, while he managed to live long enough to break through the Qizilbashi's power over him as reagents, what would happen to possibly more unlucky successors? [6]

Winter 1567

Date Harumune had received the support of the Imagawa to rule Mutsu Province, at a cost. Mutsu would be reduced in size to make it easier to manage, a similar plan had occurred with Dewa Province. Dewa was recreated with its southern half and given to the Mogami. The remaining Date lands outside of Mutsu was handed to the Shogunate. These new Provinces, along with other lords of the east were forced to reduce the number of castles, and conduct land survey's for taxation and to administer the law with a set amount of troops provided. [7]

Japan by the end of 1567

Sengoku start3.png

[1] I've tried to make the internal situation of the ATL Ouchi clan more relevant and less of a throwaway detail, as well as an earlier mentioned alliance from the older thread.

[2] In my second crack at Europe, Ivan IV has allowed his son Ivan Ivanovich to marry Virginia Eriksdotter of Sweden daughter of Eric XIV, however, Russia still has good relations with Denmark. At this time both parties were engaged in the Northern Seven Years War with each other, also Russia has more success in the Lithuania theatre of the war.

[3] Magnus was the brother of Fredrick II and given lands in Livonia so Fredrick could expand his power at home. Svante Stennson Sture was a member of the Sture family who was executed during the madness of Eric XIV, I'm not sure how that bought of madness came about but here I've butterflied that way. Here Ivan is making a smaller offer for what he wanted which was all of Livonia and making more permanent gains in Lithuania.

[4] As another POD Prince Kurbsky does not defect to Lithuania, and the Oprichnina is not formed. This at least prevents the later instability of Russia, as people are not indiscriminately killed and their land seized.

[5] I looked at some events I could play around with a 1560 POD, the survival and insurrection of Shahzade Bayezid a prince of the Ottoman Empire is something I'm taking a crack at. In 1561 Shah Tahmasp had Bayezid who was a political refugee killed to appease his father Suleiman the Magnificent, here Tahmasp keeps Bayezid alive and when Suleiman dies in 1566 he and his followers come back east to dispute the succession of Selim II in the usual Ottoman fashion. Bayezid and his followers have made some gains in the eastern parts of the Empire, namely the recently conquered parts of modern-day Iraq and Armenia taken from the Safavids only 11-12 year ago.

[6] The Safavids themselves would have their own succession problems. Until Abbas the Great, Turkic Shia tribes of Qizilbashi or redheads would have a say in succession. When Tahsmph died it led to a period of chaos, as tribes backed rival claimants. Tahmsph had made some gains in bring Caucasians as another factor to the Safavid state, but the power of the Qizilbashi would still be a problem.

Mapwise, the Imagawa have made some more gains around the capital, and in Eastern Japan. Red colored provinces are lands controlled by multiple members of the anti-Imagawa alliance.

I know I'm stepping into quite unfamiliar territories with Scandinavia, the Ottomans, and the Safavids, but I'm trying to take what I can get in terms of shaping the rest world at this time as well.

Last edited:
Part 21: The Chugoku Campaign Begins, The Yamaguchi Incident
Winter 1568

Yoshimoto had sent demands for the Amago, Ouchi, and Yamana to back down and surrender. A series of messages had arrived from Amago Haruhisa, Yamana Suketoyo, and Ouchi Yoshinaga which stated their refusal. In response, Yoshimoto had called upon local lords to assist him in chastising the Yamana and the rest of Chugoku.

May 9th, 1568

Yamaguchi Palace, Suo Province

Yoshinaga had heard the news that Harukata was engaging the Imagawa. Sensing it was the right time to make his move, Yoshinaga had sent for local forces to capture Sue Nagafusa, Harukata's son. Yoshinaga had received a frantic messenger.

"My Lord, Nagafusa has escaped!"

"Then send soldiers out to the countryside, he must be found! I want messengers dispatched to the Mori in Yoshida-Koriyama Castle in Aki, tell them to defend their lord, if not for my sake which is understandable, then at least to avenge their father."

"Understood my Lord." The messenger left.

Word of the Yamaguchi Palace Incident, as it was being called had spread, with Yoshinaga moving to secure Suo Province in preparation to face the Sue and their supporters.

May 13th, 1568

Yoshida-Koriyama Castle, Aki Province

Mori Takamoto had received word that Ouchi Yoshinaga had requested his aid. Takamoto had summoned his brothers to Yoshida Koriyama the moment the rumors broke out about Yoshinaga's actions against Harukata, some saying he killed Sue Nagafusa.

"Brother, must we be content with backing Yoshinaga, why not become independent outright, we owe that usurper nothing!" Kikkawa Motoharu was incensed that his older brother, Mori Takamoto would consider working with Yoshinaga.

"As much as I would like to agree if Yoshinaga is left alone and we rebel the Harukata will just move against us next once he is done with him. We will send aid to Yoshinaga but tell him in that the Mori will never serve the Ouchi again. After all this situation we have found ourselves in all rests on Harukata's actions." [1]

May 25th, 1568

2 miles from Tottori Castle, Inaba Province

The Imagawa advance westward saw them take Konosumi Castle and Tajima Province. However, the Imagawa had faced harsher resistance in Inaba Province, as the Yamana were supported by the Amago and Ouchi. Sue Harukata had led the Ouchi as the driving force of this conflict, or at least he was.

"Damn that ungrateful bastard! He would still be Otomo Haruhide the half-brother to Otomo Yoshishige without me! He will not be as lucky as my son. If I find him, I'll explain to Ushimaru his father died in an accident." Harukata's anger had subsided, before turning towards Okimori Naito, and Fujikane Masuda. "Okimori, Fujikane, can I trust you to keep your forces here? Haruhisa and Suketoyo would never forgive us for leaving them.

"Yes, but we do not know how long we can keep these skirmishes going." Naito Okimori warned.

"Then fight until it is no longer possible to delay the siege."

"Understood Commander."

Harukata proceeded to race back to take control of the Ouchi.

[1] Mori Takamoto was the son of Mori Motonari who died in 1563 apparently of poison, here while his father dies he avoids that fate. Motonari was fond of having his sons adopted into local clans to secure power.

[2] Considering Yoshinaga died in OTL at 25 and is 36 TTL I figured he should have at least one son.

I've decided to make a more localized map of the area, the colors are the same on the map except for Suo and Iwami are in silver, to represent Harukata Sue and his faction, While the Ouchi force in Bingo remain loyal to the Mori, and therefore reverts back to grey.

Yamaguchi.png

Last edited:
Part 22: Battle of the Suo Sea
June 8th, 1568

Funai Palace, Bungo Province

Otomo Sorin was meeting his chief retainers, Yoshioki Nagamasu, Usuki Akihaya, and Yoshihiro Akitada. [1]

"So my 'dear' younger brother wishes for more aid. The Sue are preparing a naval expedition to more easily attack Yamaguchi Castle, and he wants us to help drive them off. So, should we?"

"My Lord, your brother would be further indebted to us, not to mention, it would certainly help the Shogun's view of us. It would leave both sides weakened for the Imagawa to arrive. Akihaya said, considering an intervention to be in the best course of action.

"With respect, installing your brother served us well in allowing us to control Buzen and Chikuzen, should we really risk our position to help him again? Our vassals are quite distant with us, and may not be willing to aid us, or they may get ideas about independence if send to many forces." Nagamasu said in response.

"Akitada, you seem silent on this matter, what is your opinion on this matter?"

"My Lord we can only send a small force to assist your brother without leaving ourselves weak. I feel both Nagamasu and Akihaya have a point." Akitada warned.

Sorin had remained silent for a few moments. "Assemble a small fleet we will aid my brother after all."

June 14th, 1568

Suo Sea

Near the Kanmon Straits, three fleets began to converge. The Sue had mustered a fleet to try and break the stalemate by landing a force to take Suo and with it Yamaguchi Palace. To counter this threat The Ouchi had turned towards their vassals the Mori, with their allied clans, and reluctantly Yoshinaga's brother and the Otomo clan.

Before the Ouchi had split, they had taken in several shipwrecked sailors and crews, some shipwrecks were natural, others quite coincidental. The Ouchi had attempted to build ships in the style of the foreigners and had built at least two western-style ships the Yamaguchi Maru and the Ouchi Maru. Among the Ouchi innovations to naval warfare, handgunners were brought aboard ships and taught to fire while on them. The Ouchi Maru had fallen into the Sue's hands and was used a flagship, while the Yamaguchi Maru was the Ouchi flagship.

The Sue forces comprised sixty-six ships with the Ouchi Maru and five atakebune, twenty sekibune and forty kobaya. While the Ouchi and Otomo had a combined eighty-nine ships, nine akatebune with the Yamaguchi Maru, thirty-three sekibune, and forty-six kobaya. The Sue navy took on a defensive position to cope with its lack of numbers, rowing in a gyorin formation. [2]

The smaller kobaya vessels engaged first exchanging musket and arrow fire. While the larger sekibune and atakebune engaged in ramming the smaller craft and began to engage in boarding actions. Both sides saw exchanges of musket fire before boarding had begun. Several ships had started to get closer to each other with boarding and grappling hooks and began to make the sea battle much bloodier.

The Sue had fought bravely but found themselves losing ships. The Ouchi Maru had found itself being grappled by an Otomo Atakebune, However before the ship could board, the Ouchi Maru fired a broadside that tore through the atakebune leaving it heavily damaged. This gave the Ouchi's Maru's crew a chance to repel the boarding action. However, the Ouchi Maru would not remain lucky as the Yamaguchi Maru was dead set on attacking it.

The Yamaguchi Maru sailed to the starboard side of the Ouchi Maru and began boarding the ship. Both Western-style ships had foreigners serving as gunners, and boarding parties. The Yamaguchi Maru's crew charged the ship's deck and found fierce resistance, even after being fired upon the Yamaguchi Maru's hand gunners. The fighting would continue for several hours as ships would be destroyed, sunk, or captured. The end result saw the Sue navy defeated with a few ships managing to retreat.

Fall, 1568

The Battle of the Suo Sea left the conflict between the Ouchi and Sue in a continued stalemate. The Imagawa continued their offensive into Chugoku, taking Inaba and some parts of Hoki but had finally managed to subdue to North of Honshu. The Dewa and Mutsu Provinces where divided into five, Northern Dewa became Ugo Province, Northern Mutsu became Sannohe Province, Central Mutsu became Rikushu, while Southern Dewa and Mutsu retained their former province names. [3]

Sannohe would be governed by the Nanbu clan, the Akita clan would govern Ugo Province, while the Kasai clan would govern Rikushu Province.

Map of Japan 1568

Sengoku start.png

The Map above has some noticeable changes I've changed Dewa and Mutsu into five provinces, and I've found a good to mark off the Kakizaki influence in Ezo. That aside it is slightly slower going westward for the Imagawa. Mind you the borders could be better, originally, I had to use a smaller map that cut out Hokkaido, but had more workable divisions.

[1] Otomo Sorin, notable for being one of the most important Daimyo to convert to Christianity. However, he has not converted yet, considering the Mori never defeated the Ouchi and forced the Catholics out of Yamaguchi. Sorin had also backed Sue Harukata's coup against Ouchi Yoshitaka.

[2] Japanese Ship classes could be divided into small, medium, and big ships, or Kobaya, Sekibune, Atakebune respectively. Japanese Naval combat was largely focused on boarding actions, with ships being little more than castles in some cases. Tactics-wise naval battles used the same formations as in land combat.

[3] Of the five new provinces two have names that are completely new. Sannohe Province is TTL Aomori Province, which got its name from the green woods that surrounded the port near Hirosaki Castle, here it is named after the key stronghold of the Nanbu. Rikushu was a name used for an OTL area that comprised there provinces Rikuchu, Rikuezen, and Mutsu.

Last edited:
Part 23: The Southern Chugoku Campaign
May 23rd, 1569

Gassantoda Castle, Izumo Province

Amago Haruhisa was not the most trusting of individuals and was naturally suspicious of Harukata's offer. However, the tide had sharply turned against in Haruhisa's mind, this hastily formed alliance. Harukata's lapdog breaks free of his leash, and now Harukata leaves me to face the Imagawa alone, Haruhisa having recently considered send an emissary to negotiate a cease-fire.

Azai Nagamasa had led the Imagawa forces into Hoki province and was on his way towards Gassantoda soon. Rumors had spread of chaos in the rest of the Chugoku. The clashes between the Mimura and Uragami went to war against each other while as the Bessho finally plotted to overthrow their erstwhile masters, the Akamatsu. The Imagawa were sending troops into Southern Chugoku, to restore order and possibly to exert control over all of Honshu.

June 8th, 1569

Saidaiji Kannon-in, Bizen Province

Miyoshi Yoshitoki was sent to lead troops from Settsu and restore order to Bizen, Yoshitoki was to subdue the Uragami and get the Mimura to back down. Yoshitoki had managed to surround Tenjinyama Castle quickly, causing Uragami Munekage to surrender. However, the Uragami had very little influence outside of Tenjinyama, their retainer Ukita Naoie held the real power in the clan. Yoshitoki was forced to meet Naoie at the Yoshii River.

In a show of good faith, Yoshitoki and his delegation cross the river to meet Naoie at Saidaiji Kannon Temple.

"Lord Yoshitoki, welcome." Naoie said as Yoshitoki entered the temple courtyard.

"Your lord has surrendered yet you insist on meeting with me as if we are equals?"

"Yes, Munekage hardly controls anything outside of Tenjinyama. Perhaps the Shogun look to a more capable lord for Bizen?"

"I assume you mean yourself? Fine I will listen to your reasons, but make no mistake any attempt to resist will see us use force."

"Lord Yoshitoki there is no need for such measures," Naoie said trying to reassure Yoshitoki of his intentions. "My castle at Okayama is much more suitable for the changing times, near farmland. Tejinyama is a mountain castle, it is soon to be a relic of an age of war, lead by a poor excuse for a lord."

"Hmph I will send word to my lord, but do not believe for a moment you will be Lord of Bizen without pulling your weight."

"Lord, I never had any intention of doing so."

"Then you will aid us in our march into Bitchu and Bingo."

"Understood."

September 6th, 1569

Kannabe Castle, Bitchu Province

Kannabe Castle had fallen to the Imagawa, while they did not control all of Bitchu Province, the Imagawa were only left with the Amago Clan, and the fractured Ouchi Clan forces to deal with.

Sorry for the brief update. I haven't exactly been all that up to the task of writing.

Last edited: