A Storm Over Okehazama: A Sengoku TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
August 23rd, 1566

Kamo River, near Kyoto, Yamashiro Province

The Ouchi had been stopped at Ozaka castle, but they had managed to seize the rest of Wakasa Province. The Ouchi had opted to advance on Kyoto from the North. The Ouchi proceed to head down the Kamo River via rafts. The Ouchi had set up a camp near a half a day prior on the Western bank of the Kamo River while the Imagawa had a force prepared in Kyoto.

The Ouchi force lead by Sue Harukata and Kikkawa Motoharu had started to advance on Kyoto, the Imagawa force had advanced from Kyoto proper. The Ouchi forces marched in a Hoshi formation while the Imagawa took up a Hoen formation. The Ouchi ranged units remained in formation despite the risk of reduced effectiveness, against the deep formation. Initially, the Ouchi ranged units attacked the formation, but eventually the initial wave of the Ouchi forces came to bear down on the Imagawa.

The fighting initially saw the Ouchi and Imagawa stalemated. However, The Ouchi had gradually gained the upper hand and were on the verge of forcing the Imagawa back and breaking the Koyaku formation, until a force of Imagawa reinforcements led by Matsunaga Hisahide arrived. The Imagawa reinforcements managed to drive the Ouchi back to a position near the Kamo river. The Ouchi began to form an engetsu formation to create a defensive position, to plan their next moves

"Commander is a retreat possible?" asked Motoharu.

"Yes, but we would have to hold the line, but to retreat here means that this war will be lost and if we both stay our lives as well. If we are to retreat I want to you to head across the river while the river still lets us, I'll stay behind and hold them off, tell my lord and my family I have failed," ordered Harukata.

"I understand," replied Motoharu before turning gathering the Ouchi forces who were to retreat, taking the rafts and crossing the river.

As the Ouchi forces began to retreat, Hisahide's forces began their attack. The Imagawa this time wasted no opportunity and charged the Ouchi driving them closer to the Kamo river itself, with the only options being to fight and die or drown in the river. In the fighting, both of the commanders began to clash with one another.

"Ah so I face the true lord of the Ouchi, why do you stay?" asked a curious Hisahide beginning his attack.

"I am a warrior, or does age dull your senses," Harukata shot back, all the while trying to find an opening.

"Heh, I suppose there is no Hell if even traitors can receive a glorious death." This remark infuriated Harukata who at least resolved to take Hisahide down before dying.

However, Harukata was struck down, almost able to strike Hisahide himself, while the rest of the Ouchi troops who fought with him did so to the last man, while Motoharu and the survivors had made it to safety, and began the long march back to Wakasa. The Battle of Kamogawa represented the end of the Ouchi offensive in Honshu and the beginning of an Imagawa counterattack. Roughly two months later the Imagawa would finally retake Wakasa province, before settling for another offensive in the spring to retake more lost ground.

Last edited:
Just caught up after not reading in a couple months (could of sworn I watched it) and I got to say the future of this TL and Japan seems like it will be really interesting. Large amounts of Japanese Mercenaries would be useful in the Philippines, Dutch colonies, and maybe the west coast of the Americas for making sure natives don't destroy colonies and the Chinese and Koreans would definitely benefit from this.

I think it would be too costly to bring them to fight in wars in Europe though. A shame because seeing a typical Japanese army armed with Yari (maybe innovated to be a little longer to work in Pike and shot formations) attack Ottoman troops would be fun. Though maybe they could be used against Ottoman Egypt by attacking from the Red Sea.

Honestly having Large amounts of Mercenaries is a very interesting idea and I'm surprised no one has been discussing it more.

^ The major factor regarding that is the interest. Some veterans will just return to their previous occupation (mostly farming) after the wars. How many ashigaru/samurai/ronin are adventurous enough to consider fighting overseas, if that's the only way of living they knew?

^ The major factor regarding that is the interest. Some veterans will just return to their previous occupation (mostly farming) after the wars. How many ashigaru/samurai/ronin are adventurous enough to consider fighting overseas, if that's the only way of living they knew?

If they're fighting as mercenaries then the money aspect of it would certainly help.

Spring 1567

Yoshimoto had ordered an offensive to retake the rest Kansai. The Imagawa forces under the Miyoshi would march on their own and seize Harima and Tamba Provinces while, The Azai, Asakura, and Saito clans would march on Tango and Tajima provinces as well present the Ouchi with no choice but to focus on a spread out defense of the area. The Miyoshi marched first seizing a series of smaller forts until crossing the Kakogawa in and pressing on to Himeyama Castle. In contrast, the Northern force of the Imagawa began a steady march towards Yumiki Castle in Tango.

The Ouchi had in the prior year attempted to recover from losing Sue Harukata who had long been the power behind the Ouchi, while Sue Nagafusa took over the Sue clan, Yoshinaga was for the first time in complete control of the Ouchi. The Ouchi naval control of the Seto Inland Sea, saw the Ouchi harassing Imagawa possessions on Shikoku, but Yoshinaga considered negotiations with the Kono of Iyo to at least make gains on Shikoku, perhaps force another front on Honshu. The spring of 1567 ultimately concluded with the Imagawa reclaiming Tango, most of Harima and starting to take back Tajima and Tamba.

Summer 1567

While the Imagawa pressed on Honshu, The Ouchi conducted an invasion of Sanuki province. The Imagawa forces consisted of the Sogo, Atagi, and Chosokabe clans. The Ouchi's had ship armed with cannon and in conjunction with other ships effectively made any chance of naval battle impossible. However, the Imagawa had the advantage in that they had to hold out until if the Ouchi could not gain a foothold, with small forts with signal fires to be lit at potential landing points. The resulting 3 months saw the Ouchi forced to pull back, their invasion of Sanuki with no progress and few casualties while the Imagawa succeeded in taking Harima, Tajima and Tamba provinces reversing the Ouchi gains made back to the status quo.

Yoshimoto should watch his back. It's Matsunaga fucking Hisahide we're talking about. :p

He only cares about his cushy position in Yamato Province, the time for scheming came and went.

Large amounts of Japanese Mercenaries would be useful in the Philippines, Dutch colonies, and maybe the west coast of the Americas for making sure natives don't destroy colonies and the Chinese and Koreans would definitely benefit from this.

I think it would be too costly to bring them to fight in wars in Europe though. A shame because seeing a typical Japanese army armed with Yari (maybe innovated to be a little longer to work in Pike and shot formations) attack Ottoman troops would be fun. Though maybe they could be used against Ottoman Egypt by attacking from the Red Sea.

Honestly having Large amounts of Mercenaries is a very interesting idea and I'm surprised no one has been discussing it more.

To answer the question of mercenaries, the idea stems from the Tokugawa Shogunate I'm contrasting the Imagawa with. The Tokugawa came to power by being the head of an alliance of other clans to overthrow the Toyotomi, ironically enough I'm making more like the Oda then anything, in that their unification of Japan will be done without either trying to cater for tenuous legitimacy like the Toyotomi or the need for alliances, but on the strength of the Imagawa.

The idea of mercenaries is to try and offset the one thing that might make keeping Japan open seem unlikely, social pressure of what to do with people who've been used to constant fighting in one form or another, without them getting restless about not fighting and making "dangerous" ideas less dangerous without too many people willing to take up arms for them. So in this case, the mercenary system would work as follows. Clans that have men willing to make the voyage overseas have to arm their own troops and can basically form companies and small armies with other clans, however, they can only do so on contracts approved by the Shogunate. Those clans are put down on a census as being unable to go off on another voyage for five years.

Fall 1567-Winter 1568

The Imagawa had driven the Ouchi from Kansai and were preparing for their next move. This would be an advance on Mimaska, Bizen, Hoki and Inaba Provinces. In preparation, the Imagawa would spend the Fall and Winter preparing for the invasion. First, the Imagawa forces of the Azai, Asakura, Saito, and Miyoshi to seize the castles of Konosumi in Inaba and Mitsuishi in Bizen respectively, for a staging ground. Then Shogun Yoshimoto issued an order for the Udono, Suzuki, Hosokawa, and the Matsunaga to gather forces to assist the Miyoshi advance into Bizen and Mimaska, while the Oda, Matsudaira, Asahina, Suwa and Takeda would take charge in taking Hoki and Inaba.

The Azai, Asakura, and Saito left a combined force to guard Konosumi, while their main forces retreated. The Miyoshi however, made Mitsuishi into their base of operations The Imagawa at saw soldiers being mustered, quartered in recently built encampments and making marches of great distances in some cases to prepare for the Imagawa's first strike into Ouchi territory.

240zwxk.png

Maximum extent of Ouchi gains in the Eiroku War

2vc8bb7.png

Status Quo of the Eiroku War by 1568.

It's a brief update, I'll get back to the narrative next update.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how Japanese Naval Technology is progressing. Perhaps we could see 'heavy' ships that use large cannons and are fairly similar to European or maybe Chinese ones and then have 'light' ships with non-hull parts made from disposable material and get thrown away after a conflict is over, that have either no or very small cannons and would be used primarily for transporting troops up rivers as well as fighting there as well.

I would also like to see any developments in Hokkaido if any. Most will regard it as useless agriculturally (I think it's because it's too cold for the species of Rice the Japanese preferred though I could be wrong about that) but if they earn about some of the Gold deposits there or maybe the Imagawa just decides to have a few outposts there to deport any unruly (and starving!) peasants.

It would be interesting to see the Japanese buying Furs from the Ainu to sell to westerners because if I'm not mistaken the Fur trade is coming in a couple of decades.

March 17th, 1568

Mitsuishi Castle, Bizen Province

Imagawa War Council

The Imagawa War Council consisted of Miyoshi Yoshitoki, Udono Nagomochi, Suzuki Shigehide, Hosokawa Takamachi, and Matsunaga Hisamichi. they had convened to plan how they would take the provinces of Bizen and Mimaska.

"Our current situation is that Tenjinyama Castle is not far from here, however, we must consider how do we intend to march on Mimaska as well.

"Commander, I will volunteer to march into Mimaska," the speaker was an eager Suzuki Shigehide.

"Then the Matsunaga will march with them, if you are willing to allow it," Hisamichi speaking in turn.

"Very well, Takamachi and Nagomochi your forces are to march with mine. For our plan of attack, my force along with the Hosokawa and Udono will march first and when we make camp, have extra fires lit to give the appearance of a larger force. After we seize Tejinyama, I want Shigehide and Hisamichi to begin their advance," ordered Yoshitoki.

March 25th, 1568

Konomine Castle, Inaba Province

Imagawa War Council

Matsudaira Motoyasu was the overall commander of the Imagawa forces sent to Inaba and Hoki, with Asahina Yasutomo as his second in command, with Suwa Katsuyori, Takeda Nobushige and Oda Nobuharu. Motoyasu had started to address his war council.

"Takeda Castle is not far from here. It seems if we take it Inaba will fall quick and we can march on Hoki afterward, Nobushige what have the scouts reported back?"

"The terrain is largely mountainous, it would be best to keep watch when we move through the valleys, and the narrower pathways," reported Nobushige.

"Commander, if I may suggest, perhaps we should have a force guard Inaba once we take control of Takeda Castle" the suggestion came from Nobuharu.

"Hmph, that's a waste of troops if you ask me, there's plenty of mountains and presumably few points where the Ouchi can march, and we are taking the offensive they won't have the time to worry." The response came from Katsuyori, that seemed to annoy his uncle Nobushige.

"A fine point, but nephew must I remind you, that a situation similar to what you are proposing ended with me and Nobuzane in Kasuagayama in Echigo as prisoners when your father and brother failed to rescue us at Kawanakajima. Nobuharu has a point, even if we keep a small force it should be enough." Nobushige's response was enough to silence Katsuyori.

"I am willing to agree to Nobuharu's suggestion, we will march on Takeda Castle by tomorrow," commanded Motoyasu.

"Yes Commander," replied the council in unison.

April 15th, 1568

Yamaguchi Castle, Nagato Province

Ouchi Yoshinaga sat with his Hatamoto and Kobayakawa Takakage in attendance.

"My Lord, I am willing to engage the Imagawa in the northeast, but is it wise for you to engage the Imagawa in Bizen?" asked Takakage.

"Takakage, I am no young man, I also have your brother Lord Takamoto, and his forces prepared to march with me," Yoshinaga said to reassure Takakage. "You have your orders, Lord Takakage,"

"Yes My Lord," Takakage said bowing before leaving the room.

Yoshinaga dismissed his hatamoto, preparing to march tomorrow.

I'm wondering how Japanese Naval Technology is progressing. Perhaps we could see 'heavy' ships that use large cannons and are fairly similar to European or maybe Chinese ones and then have 'light' ships with non-hull parts made from disposable material and get thrown away after a conflict is over, that have either no or very small cannons and would be used primarily for transporting troops up rivers as well as fighting there as well.

It's the Ouchi who are adopting western cannons and some shipbuilding skills, but it still largely the same Japanese naval combat tactics of the period.

I would also like to see any developments in Hokkaido if any. Most will regard it as useless agriculturally (I think it's because it's too cold for the species of Rice the Japanese preferred though I could be wrong about that) but if they earn about some of the Gold deposits there or maybe the Imagawa just decides to have a few outposts there to deport any unruly (and starving!) peasants.

It would be interesting to see the Japanese buying Furs from the Ainu to sell to westerners because if I'm not mistaken the Fur trade is coming in a couple of decades.

For now, Hokkaido is going to remain the same as in OTL an area under the nominal control of the Kakizaki clan, however, I am considering using parts of the Kakizaki governance for any future Japanese colonies. As for the fur trade, I've had an idea to at least hinder or possibly halt European colonization of at least in parts of North America.

Last edited:
For now, Hokkaido is going to remain the same as in OTL an area under the nominal control of the Kakizaki clan

Well it just seems that if the Japanese are going to be interacting with westerners more and they learn of the Europeans magical world of Settler Colonialism and Imperialism they might want a piece of the cake and Hokkaido and Sakhalin/Karafuto is next door. Also while the Japanese might think of it as barren wasteland Europeans might see it as somewhat valuable and tell the Japanese that it's a good idea to go set up shop there.

Also you say along the lines of OTL but the isolationism of the Tokugawa slowed down any settlement of Hokkaido massively so unless the Imagawa do a 360 it would require some strange event happening to stop them from at least not establishing Whaling and fishing ports (red herring was actually quite wealthy in Hokkaido causing an economic boom to the area, look into it if you have time it's interesting). And then expand from there.

While I doubt Europeans could colonize it early on maybe later down the line (before major colonization of Hokkaido, basically before OTL Meiji restoration) maybe the Japanese with Nominal control over it could sell it as a massive port of convenience maybe? Or maybe a Russo-Japanese war where Russia wins and they get Hokkaido, that would be interesting though VERY far down the timeline to the point its not even worth discussing.

Also what will the Imagawa's policy on export trade be? Or rather will it be possible for Japanese merchants to sell their wares in SE Asia, the Philippines, and Indonesia and maybe even cross the Pacific if they gain the technology to do so? I don't know I just think it would be interesting for a Japan just as technologically advanced as Europe try their luck at Amsterdam style international trade.

As for the fur trade, I've had an idea to at least hinder or possibly halt European colonization of at least in parts of North America

How though? I mean unless you could magically make a new source by Wanking Russia into expanding into Siberia earlier.

And Sadly it just seems inevitable that the Americas will get ruled by the Europeans in some manner and form, even if they see the traditional Ruperts land as valueless they will still value land around the Hudson bay for other reasons though much later. But that probably wouldn't impact the Maritimes or the future USA.

Are you talking about maybe along the West Coast? Wow are you going to have the Japanese have a monopoly over the Sea Otter fur trade? Nice.

Well it just seems that if the Japanese are going to be interacting with westerners more and they learn of the Europeans magical world of Settler Colonialism and Imperialism they might want a piece of the cake and Hokkaido and Sakhalin/Karafuto is next door. Also while the Japanese might think of it as barren wasteland Europeans might see it as somewhat valuable and tell the Japanese that it's a good idea to go set up shop there.

Also you say along the lines of OTL but the isolationism of the Tokugawa slowed down any settlement of Hokkaido massively so unless the Imagawa do a 360 it would require some strange event happening to stop them from at least not establishing Whaling and fishing ports (red herring was actually quite wealthy in Hokkaido causing an economic boom to the area, look into it if you have time it's interesting). And then expand from there.

While I doubt Europeans could colonize it early on maybe later down the line (before major colonization of Hokkaido, basically before OTL Meiji restoration) maybe the Japanese with Nominal control over it could sell it as a massive port of convenience maybe? Or maybe a Russo-Japanese war where Russia wins and they get Hokkaido, that would be interesting though VERY far down the timeline to the point its not even worth discussing.

My point is more that the Japanese had already started settlements in Hokkaido, or at least it's the southern tip, it was throughout both the Muromachi and Edo ruled by the Kakizaki under special provisions that made it exempt from the usual taxation, had gradually expanded across the island. I'm keeping the status the same now, perhaps with more encouraged immigration in the future.

Also what will the Imagawa's policy on export trade be? Or rather will it be possible for Japanese merchants to sell their wares in SE Asia, the Philippines, and Indonesia and maybe even cross the Pacific if they gain the technology to do so? I don't know I just think it would be interesting for a Japan just as technologically advanced as Europe try their luck at Amsterdam style international trade.

Since Japan won't be isolationist, it will get involved with trading, in fact, it's how I intend to get Japanese mercenaries to be possible, or at least how their use would spread across the East I intend for the Japanese to make Pacific bound voyages as well.

How though? I mean unless you could magically make a new source by Wanking Russia into expanding into Siberia earlier.

And Sadly it just seems inevitable that the Americas will get ruled by the Europeans in some manner and form, even if they see the traditional Ruperts land as valueless they will still value land around the Hudson bay for other reasons though much later. But that probably wouldn't impact the Maritimes or the future USA.

Are you talking about maybe along the West Coast? Wow are you going to have the Japanese have a monopoly over the Sea Otter fur trade? Nice.

Ever since reading The Skulking Way of War by Patrick Malone, I've wondered could European or at least the extensive British settler colonies be held back and even see surviving native nations at least in most of North America. Basically, the Sulking Way of War talks about how during the Pequot war from 1636-1638, roughly 8-10 years after the founding of Massachusetts Bay colony, the settler's were in danger of being wiped out.

This was because the natives in the area had taken up European firearms and had become adept with that they could maker their own guns, repair, and more importantly, use their skill with to defeat the colonial militias. First native style warfare involved ambushes and individualized fighting uneven terrain, akin to guerrilla warfare. With firearms, the natives used them more effective than bows being able to crouch or lay prone to shoot them instead of having to stand and could pick off militia commanders. The only reason why the colonists won is because they needed guides and had to adopt the same style of warfare. I want to explore what could a victory in the Pequot War or a close enough analog, provided it happens due to butterflies, mean for European colonialism in the region.

As far as Russia going east, goes I may give them more of a willingness to go that route with, an early Russian victory in the Livonian War, and no Time of Troubles. Japanese colonies on the West Coast could be another possibility, as well I'm toying with the idea of a Japanese Taiwan and Philippines, in a similar fashion to Hokkaido.

Ever since reading The Skulking Way of War by Patrick Malone, I've wondered could European or at least the extensive British settler colonies be held back and even see surviving native nations at least in most of North America. Basically, the Sulking Way of War talks about how during the Pequot war from 1636-1638, roughly 8-10 years after the founding of Massachusetts Bay colony, the settler's were in danger of being wiped out.

Yes but that was before diseases that killed most of them started in full. The Spanish are firmly established in Mexico so it's only a matter of time before Smallpox, Cholera, measles, and other nasty things will hitch a ride north.

Also once cotton is shown to be a strategic resource the American south will be colonized even if it means a very bloody war on the European side.

It's like the fall of Rome and the fall of the Celts following the rise of the Germanics, it's just hard to believe Native Americans remaining independent with the exception of maybe somewhere in Nunavut where Europeans don't care about. Ultimately even if it takes longer it will happen unless there's a POD so far back that it prevents Europe from ever gaining technology dominance over the Middle east or Asia but even then it will be those places that divide up the New World.

Though a situation where major colonization is pushed back until say 1740-ish would be nice to see.

This was because the natives in the area had taken up European firearms and had become adept with that they could maker their own guns, repair, and more importantly, use their skill with to defeat the colonial militias. First native style warfare involved ambushes and individualized fighting uneven terrain, akin to guerrilla warfare. With firearms, the natives used them more effective than bows being able to crouch or lay prone to shoot them instead of having to stand and could pick off militia commanders.

The Natives may close the technological gap to an extent but like I said before, Diseases are something they can't beat. Time is on the side of the Europeans.

The only reason why the colonists won is because they needed guides and had to adopt the same style of warfare. I want to explore what could a victory in the Pequot War or a close enough analog, provided it happens due to butterflies, mean for European colonialism in the region.

Eh I don't really see how anything in Japan could butterfly it that hard. If anything Increased trade with Japan will mean more of a desire to Colonize the Quebec area to serve as a base for the unreal Northwest Passage as well as getting on the good fishing of the coast of Canada.

Japanese colonies on the West Coast could be another possibility

Well if they're not willing to Colonize Hokkaido massively I don't see why they would want to colonize the cold pacific Northwest (which is actually probably colder and worse off then Hokkaido, then again they could pull off a Erik the red by calling it Greenland when it's actually a dump) or the extremely dry California area which in their mind wouldn't be good for crops because they're so used to rice paddies that require flooding.

Ultimately I think they could set up trade factories (factories in the pre-industrial trading kind) along the coast but they will sooner or later give them up either by being outed eventually by the Natives or by Europeans, either Pirates or Soldiers.

Though trading factories on the Kuril or Aleutian Islands could very well survive if the Russians don't bother with them or see it as too much effort and just Negotiate with the Japanese to allow Russian ships to repair there.

as well I'm toying with the idea of a Japanese Taiwan and Philippines

Taiwan is doable, Europeans probably don't care about it and the Japanese took the Ryukyu islands so they were already going in that Direction though they'll need some improved Naval tech to make Governance that far away Reliable.

As for the Philippines I highly doubt it unless you have them join in the 30 years war with the Protestants or something but even then I doubt they would be able to take them or even have the motivation to. I see the same problem with the Imjin war, the Japanese would lose against the Europeans in a Naval battle even with new Technology and even then unless their mercenaries partook in massive Marine offensives they would have little experience.

So to put it short Conquest is always limited by the Actual want to do so and if they're willing to go all the way to the Philippines then why not take a whack at Korea? Taiwan wouldn't require too much of a Military offensive at least compared to the Philippines.

Though having an Imperialist Japan force Koreans to Immigrate to Taiwan or Hokkaido to work the land would make an interesting TL and to see the new mixed cultures that culminate there.

It would also be plausible for the Japanese to maybe get into buying Black slaves from Europeans or is that prohibited in Buddhism? I think I heard that somewhere but in all honesty it's pretty much Prohibited in Abrahamic religions as well though given it was a minor sentence in the old testament I could see how Europeans just threw it out the window.

Last edited:
May 5th, 1568

Asahi River, Bizen Province

Ouchi Yoshinaga had marched his forces into Bizen intent on driving the Imagawa back. The Ouchi had encountered the Imagawa army in the middle of crossing the Asahi River. Defeat here would mean the Imagawa could march on Okayama Castle and seize Bizen province.

"Master Son said after crossing a river you should get away from it, these fools apparently don not know this. Strike them down and drive them across the river" Shouted Yoshinaga. As the Ouchi began to advance on the Imagawa.

The Imagawa vanguard across the river was led by Udono Nagamochi. Nagamochi had ordered his troops to take up defensive positions to try and repel the Ouchi.

The Imagawa adopted a formation with ranged units between the spearmen. While the Main detachment of the Imagawa, started to cross the river in small units with archers and arquebuses to try and assist the vanguard. Ouchi forces in response were sent from the main body to meet the Imagawa counterattack.

The Imagawa forces managed to get 3 volleys off before the melee detachments began to engage the Ouchi. The Ouchi managed to force the Imagawa back from the Asahi River. While the Ouchi had achieved a victory, most of Bizen was still under Imagawa control.

May-June 1568

Oda Nobuharu and Suwa Katsuyori were on the march to Izumo Province, as Inaba and Hoki Provinces had fallen to the Imagawa. The Imagawa advance saw clashes with the Ouchi lead by Kobayakawa Takakage that led to a stalemate and the Imagawa staying in Hoki. The Imagawa managed to cross the Asahi River and marched on Okayama Castle. Yoshinaga was forced to pull back to Bitchu province, leaving the Imagawa in control.

The rest of the summer season saw sporadic fighting but no major clashes between the Ouchi and Imagawa.

August 7th, 1568

Yamaguchi Castle, Nagato Province

The Ouchi were in council, discussing what to do about an Imagawa envoy.

"My lord, why don't we surrender? We have no chance to stop the Imagawa" The remarks came from Amago
Hisamasa.

This drew scorn from several other councilors "Lord Hisamasa, do you have any sense of honor?" spat Naito Takaharu.

"Lord Takaharu, he has a point the Imagawa have been on the offensive, and have driven us out of multiple provinces, Yoshimoto is close to ruling the land and will do so without us in his way, we must admit this gambit has failed" The speaker was Ukita Naoie, a more recent retainer to the Ouchi, who governs Bitchu province.

"I will not give Yoshimoto the satisfaction of surrender without at least securing our futures, even if it separately I will negotiate for our clan's position in Chugoku. If he refuses, we'll fight until Yamaguchi Castle falls. However until either day comes we do not need to baselessly accuse one another. If Harukata were still here he would not tolerate this bickering." The council had dismissed, with Yoshinaga leaving towards his family's quarters.

Yoshinaga had come to visit his young son, Ushimaru. [1] Ushimaru was clever but headstrong for his age, Yoshinaga had high hopes for him. The Ouchi even if it was from his mother's side will survive.

September 6th, 1568

Muromachi Palace, Kyoto, Yamashiro Province

Yoshimoto had received the Ouchi reply, the Ouchi were willing to negotiate a surrender if he were to recognize the currently unoccupied Ouchi provinces as belonging to the Ouchi and thier allies. It was a tempting offer, but letting the Ouchi off so easily could lead to problems with authority, the Otomo still need to be dealt with. A war to achieve further peace, if he were younger he would find such a concept as humorous as two monks fighting for control of a clan and the worldly possessions it entailed.

Yoshimoto would write his reply, refusing the peace and settling for war.

[1] OTL Yoshinaga died in 1557 at 25 apparently with no children. I figure being at 36 he ought to have at least have a child by now.

I'll have a map update out as soon as possible.

Last edited:
March 13th, 1569

Takahashi Castle, Bitchu Province

Ukita Naoie was entrusted to defend Bitchu Province against the Imagawa. However, Naoie had his doubts about the task, The Mimura clan were his erstwhile vassals, but had previously ruled Bitchu, before being beaten by the Urakami. Mimura Iechika was not particularly fond of Naoie and Naoie knew it, still, it appears the Mimura were sending reinforcements, even if there was an incident involving them and another clan.

March 7th, 1569

Takamatsu Castle, Bitchu Province

Mimura Iechika was meeting with his eldest son Motochika. "Motochika is it done?" asked Iechika. [1]

"Yes, Father Takasuke is en route to meet with the Imagawa. it appears no one suspects Takasuke is still loyal to us, only that we have another dispute with the Sho, and had forced him into exile" reported Motochika. "Should we fear being labeled traitors for what we are about to do?

"I'm sure the Shogun will appreciate Bitchu falling into his hands, I'm even willing to allow Takesuke to become head of the Sho if Motosuke wishes to step down. [2]

March 11th, 1569

Okayama Castle, Bizen Province

"So the Mimura wish to defect and intend to aid us in taking Takahashi Castle? asked Yoshitoki not quite convinced of the plan.

"Yes, I was originally heir to the Sho before Iechika had his son Motosuke adopted as an heir after defeating us, having me exiled would not be an unusual move. Although, I am fine with Motosuke as an adopted brother and head of the Sho," explained Takasuke.

"So, why would Lord Iechika risk being seen as a traitor?" Hisamichi asked suspicious as to the young man's motives.

"As far as my lord is concerned, we own nothing to the Ouchi, they already forced him out of Takamatsu Castle to gave it to Ukita Naoie," responded Takasuke.

"So your lord intends to govern Bizen for the Shogun if he aids us?" asked Suzuki Shigehide.

"I don't see why it would be unfair, the brave Mimura saw the light and backed the rightful ruler of this land. The sarcastic remark came from Udono Nagamochi.

March 20th, 1569

Takahashi Castle, Bitchu Province

Ukita Naoie had his forces garrisoned in Takahashi Castle, scouts had reported that the Imagawa were close towards besieging Takahashi. A few hours later the Imagawa had begun to surround the Castle.

March 23rd, 1569

3 days of fighting passed when the Mimura army had arrived. Naoie felt relief that reinforcements had arrived, but as the Mimura advanced closer, Naoie noticed that the Imagawa weren't reacting towards them.

Naoie realized the Mimura no longer were on thier side. "That bastard Iechika has betrayed us!"

"Brother, what are we to do, is surrendering to the Imagawa still a feasible option?" the question came from Naoie younger brother Tadaie.

"We may have to if we wish to survive. While Yoshinaga was a more worthy master than Munekage, ultimately one cannot hedge their fate on the fate of another and expect all to go well. Get a message ready," ordered Naoie.

"Very well, I will send the message and myself as a hostage if need be."

"Stay safe Tadaie, if you are killed we will fight to the last." Naoie said reassuring his brother. The Ukita forces raised their banners in surrender.

In the Imagawa main camp, Yoshitoki sat with Tadaie. "I have come to negotiate our surrender, my brother Hideie and I wish to surrender," said Tadaie.

Hisamichi grabbed Yoshitoki's shoulder, "One traitor is fine, but two is just asking for trouble if they wish to surrender then I would make them fight for us a vanguard force. If they wish to earn land and their lives they must earn them," Hisamichi whispered into Yoshitoki's ear.

Turning to face Tadaie, Yoshitoki had also signaled for Mimura Iechika to come forward. "I want the two of you to return to your forces, you will aid us in the rest of this campaign as our vanguard forces," demanded Yoshitoki.

Tadaie had relayed the news back to his brother at Takahashi Castle. "So we must fight along with the Mimura?" "Yes brother, it would appear so," responded Tadie.

The brothers were interrupted by a messenger."My lord, we have a visitor,"

The visitor came in. "Ah Lord Hideie, I'm glad not much has changed here, I would suggest a different mon for the castle," said Iechika in a mockingly friendly voice.

Hideie furrowed his brows in frustration. "If we are to march, how can I trust you not to betray me? asked Hideie.

"You can't, but the Imagawa provide a good enough incentive not to" responded Iechika.

"What threats, or rewards for being traitors?" Hideie shot back.

"Both, rewards for being competent, threats to make sure you do not betray or desert us like your erstwhile lord. Within the next month, we are to march on Bingo Province," This new voice was from Hisamichi.

Both Iechika and Naoie bowed accepting Hisamichi's orders.

April 1st, 1569

Yoshida-Koriyama Castle, Aki Province

Mori Takamoto and Kikkawa Motoharu were preparing to march to defend Bingo from the treacherous Mimura and Ukita.

"Do you think father would find humor in this situation, being one of the few people unwilling to show cowardice or disloyalty towards our lord, even if said lord killed him?" asked Takamoto.

"More than likely he would want to know why we don't rule Chugoku, and why I don't believe Sue Harukata was a dishonorable bastard," responded Motoharu.

"He at least bothered to listen to us and saved you from dying on that disastrous march on Kyoto." Takamoto said with a hint of sadness in his voice, "Are the cannons ready?"

"Yes it took some time to adapt them and train our men in using them," replied Motoharu.

"Good the Imagawa, will not know what hit them," Takamoto said before leaving to oversee the camp.

[1] The Mimura clan where a powerful clan in Bitchu. OTL Iechika was assinated on Ukita Naoie's orders by firearm, which was rare for the time.

[2] The Sho where another clan in Bitchu who were defeated by the Mimura and were forced to adopt one of his sons as their clan's heir.

April 21st, 1569

Kannabe Castle, Bingo Province

The Imagawa had seized Bitchu Province and took Kannabe Castle in Bingo, however, reports had come in of Ouchi forces under the Mori marching from the northwest. The Imagawa split their forces in two one force would seize the Okina and Higuma castles in the mountains, even if that meant confronting the Mori. The other would march into Aki to force the Mori to fight on two fronts. The two forces were divided into The Mimura, Matsunaga, and Udono would march north to meet the Mori in the mountains, while the Ukita, Suzuki, and Miyoshi would head south to march into Aki.

April 30th, 1569

Okina Castle, Bingo Province

The Mori were prepared to defend Okina Castle, Takamoto was with a rather recent and interesting vassal of the Mori. The man was a foreigner a hatamoto of their Lord Yoshinaga granted land to help train the Ouchi artillery forces with the foreigner's canons, Yamaguchi Antun. [1]

"Lord Yamaguchi, are you men ready?" asked Takamoto.

"Yes, while all of our guns are in their cases if it rains, the canons are another issue entirely if it rains we cannot fire them," replied Antun.

"It can't be helped in that case, we will just to have to go back to swords and spears at worst," responded Takamoto.

Antun left Takamoto and walked over to one his commanders,

"Commander Sancho, have the men gone through their drills," asked Antun his Japanese more basic in tone than with Lord Takamoto.

"Yes Don, we can fire one row while another reloads," responded with a slight uncertainty on how to speak.

Antonio walked towards his tent, he wondered what would his father make of his current situation. He always wanted him to work with his brothers in his father's forge, not go join a trading ship looking for men, and certainly not end up as a Baron and some kind of knight in service to some king who didn't even embrace the word of the Lord. He looked at his coat of arms, or Mon as these people called them it was 5 white shields in the shape of a cross on a blue banner, hopefully, his countrymen do not mind. [2]

Antonio knelt made the sign of the cross "God save King Sabestao, King Yochinaha, and may he grant us victory this day," said Antonio solemnly.

May 2nd, 1569

The Imagawa army was not far from Okina Castle with the vanguard led by the Mimura clan. The Mimura having knowledge of the Ouchi firearm tactics had advanced with tate reinforced with iron. The Ouchi army had set up the Yamaguchi position volleys were ineffective, with the Mimura using their own gunners behind each tate to fire back [3]

"Ah Merda!" Antun swore. Even if most troops couldn't understand him knew that something was wrong. "Swivel Cannons to the fore, NOW!" ordered Antun.

The Ouchi cannons began to fire, several shots had missed their formations but a few broke the Mimura formations, at this sign the Ouchi gunners fired on the recently broken formations. The Mimura rushed to maintain formation and hastened their advance on Okina Castle. The Ouchi forces under the Yamaguchi pulled back to the castle to set up several cannons, and add the defense of the main keep. The Imagawa army had quickly begun to surround the castle.

May 12th, 1569

5 Miles from Gassan-Toda Castle, Izumo Province

Matsudaira Motoyasu was mounted in front of his troops, they were to assault the great fortress of Gassan-Toda.

"It matters not if we are men of Mikawa, Owari, Kaga, Shinano and Kai we will bear any obstacle," Cheers had started to erupt from some of the soldiers. "We must do so because today we march into Yomi itself, even without most of it's fortifications the castle is still formidable," The soliders stood silent this time. "Our spirit will not waiver, the enemy can only hide from us in thier walls although, the only safe place for them is Yomi itself," Motoyasu finished to shouts and cheers of the soldiers. [4]

The siege of Gassan-Toda Castle began and with it the Imagawa offensive to seize Izumo.

[1] Japanese Clan names tended to be based on the place of residence similar to some European families, the Imagawa, for example, were descendent from Ashikaga Kuniuji who took the name Imagawa. The Amago and Toyotomi were exceptions. The Amago being the Sasaki, but one clan head took the Amago/Amako nun's child to honor the nun that raised him, while Toyotomi roughly meant bountiful minister. Here Antonio is given the Japanese name of Yamaguchi Antun.

[2] The center of the various coats of arms of Portugal, adopted to a mon from.

[3] Shields largely were not used by the Japanese by the Muromachi period, except as fortifications.

[4] Yomi is the Shinto equivalent of the underworld, said to be located in Izumo province. Yomi is more like Hades in that everyone goes there when they die.

Last edited:
Fall 1569

The fortress of Gassan-Toda in Izumo was surrounded, the few strongholds still around it fell, leaving the fortress further isolated. The Imagawa advance into southern Bingo Province saw the Imagawa march unopposed until reaching Hagi Castle, which was subsequently besieged and fell in summer. Hagi Castle became a base for the Imagawa march into Aki.

The siege of Okina Castle saw a bloody series of assaults and counterattacks. The Ouchi gunpowder weapons had managed to aid in repulsing the Imagawa, but they were not decisive enough to win. Ouchi soldiers who couldn't get their firearms back into their cases when it rained saw their weapons rendered ineffective, and the Ouchi only had so much gunpowder left. The Imagawa efforts to take the castle continued into the season.

September 23rd, 1569

Gassan-Toda Castle, Izumo Province

The Imagawa had seized the outer ring of Gassan-Toda, leaving the Ouchi forces in the main keep.

Matsudaira Motoyasu was considering his options on taking Gassan-Toda. Sending an emissary to convince the enemy to surrender was one option, yet there was the more straightforward option of simply taking the keep. However, before a decision could be made scouts reported a disturbing development.

"Commander, the Ouchi have sent reinforcements who have surrounded us,"

"Damn it all, order the men to divide into two groups one to defend the walls, and the other to at least prevent the forces in the main keep from sallying out," ordered Motoyasu.

Ouchi forces under the command of Naito Okimori and Fujikane Masuda had arrived. The Imagawa had the forces defending the outer wall armed with bows and guns to try and soften the enemy advance. [1] The Ouchi reinforcements took a risky move of only attacking two of Gassan-Toda's gates, in a bid to force the Imagawa into a pincer attack.

"My Lord, from the banners it appears to be the Naito and Matsuda," said Sase Kiyomune [2]

"Perhaps we can sally out and drive them out of Gassan-Toda Castle, remarked Hisamasa in response.

"Then my son I volunteer to lead the attack," the request came from Amago Haruhisa.

"Are you certain father?"

"Yes, I will not see Gassan-Toda fall twice in my lifetime, be it by victory or death,"

Motoyasu saw the gates to the main keep of Gassan-Toda open and the Amago advancing towards him.

"Open fire on them," upon hearing the order, Imagawa gunners got into 3 ranks and fired one row while the other rows reloaded at the Amago forces. While the Suwa, Oda, and Asahina held the walls, the Takeda and Matsudaira were left to fight the Amago. While the Matsudaira gunners started to the pull back the Takeda charged at the Amago forces who had taken on Choda formation. [3]

The Takeda adopted a modified Koyaku formation, to absorb the formation, while the Matsudaira had gunners on the outside to fire. The Amago were slowly contained by the Takeda, several units of Matsudaira gunners had taken positions to fill the gaps with firepower. The Amago forces tried to use their sheer strength to break the Imagawa lines.

Amago Haruhisa and his Hatamoto pressed to the front to the formation to break out. Haruhisa's hatamoto armed with spears clashed with the Takeda. Haruhide noticed a small break in the formation where gunners had fired on his hatamoto. Haruhisa was struck in the arm, only to be stabbed by a Takeda spearman.

Haruhisa at least took some solace that he would not live to Gassan-Toda twice "Do not give up the castle, without a fight!" Haruhisa gave one last order as he felt his body being dragged back behind the formation, and saw his son's banner coming towards him.

Haruhisa had enough energy to barely put his arms around his son. "Hisamasa, you must guide the Amago into future without me," Haruhisa had died soon after, demoralizing the Amago. The battle for Gassan-Toda continued for 3 days with the Amago surrendering, and the Naito-Masuda pulling back to defend the rest of Izumo Province.

October 31st, 1569

Okina Castle had fallen, Mori Takamato and Yamaguchi Antun were captured by the Imagawa. Miyoshi Yoshitoki walked by the two looking at the foreigner with interest.

"You dress as a lord and supposedly are one, how does such a thing happen to a foreigner like you? asked Yoshitoki.

"I was shipwrecked and saved by servants of my future lord, he initially took me in as a hatamoto once he learned of my experience as a soldier. Some Two years prior he gave me some land outside of Yamaguchi and as in the custom of your nobles, took it as my family name among your people," explained Antun.

"My Lord will be interested to see the both of you in the capital," Yoshitoki had noticed books that appeared bulky and written in what appeared to be a language of the foreigners "what are these books?" Yoshitoki asked.

"They are journals written of my experiences in this, land so that at least my countrymen may eventually know what happened to me," feeling sympathy for the foreign lord's plight gave the books back to him. The two prisoners were sent off under guard toward Kyoto, along with a priest requested by Antun.

Fall-Winter 1569-1570

The Imagawa advance westward had come to slow down. The Imagawa were invested in sieges in Bingo and Izumo, while Imagawa forces led by the Sogo, Atagi, and Chosokabe were preparing an offensive to force the clans of Iyo to submit to their rule. Meanwhile the existence of a foreign lord had created gossip in the capital, it was rumored that his man was telling the Shogun tales of his homeland.

[1] The Naito and Masuda were Ouchi vassals

[2] A senior Amago retainer

[3] This a tactic that Oda Nobunaga used at Nagashino except the gunners had protection by wooden barries, continentally enough I have the participants of Nagashino all on one side, the Asahina included as Takeda vassals. The Choda or long snake was actually a wide formation that relied on it's width to resist flanking attacks.

Last edited:
April 8th, 1570

The Imagawa saw victories in Bingo and Izumo, and Iyo province was subdued. The forces under Miyoshi Yoshitoki organized a two-pronged offensive to take Yoshida Koriyama Castle. While the Imagawa under Motoyasu's command were given orders to withdraw the Saito, Eki, Jinbo, and Kitabatake were given orders to march westward and eventually seize Iwami province, and it's vital silver mine.

July 8th, 1570

Yoshida Koriyama Castle, Aki Province

The Mori forces were under siege, and worse yet morale was low. Kikkawa Motoharu was captured at Higuma Castle, leaving Kobayakawa Takakage, along with Mori Mokokiyo and Motoaki to face the Imagawa. [1] The Imagawa had managed to salvage several canons from prior battles against the Ouchi. The only chance of a relief force would have to come from Nagato, province, a messenger had been sent out to call for aid.

July 12th, 1570

Nagato Province

The Ouchi army was on the march toward Aki, With Yoshinaga and his second in command Sue Nagafusa. [2]

"My lord at what point is this war just asinine foolishness?" asked Nagafusa quietly to Yoshinaga.

"We passed that point years ago, the only thing to do is to face defeat and possibly death, with dignity.

"I understand my lord," replied Nagafusa with a look of reluctance.

However, unbeknownst to Yoshinaga, Nagafusa began to consider drastic measures to end the war, even if Yoshinaga would not accept them.

July 16th, 1570

Yoshida Koriyama Castle, Aki Province

The Ouchi army had marched to relieve the Imagawa siege of Yoshida Koriyama Castle. The Imagawa had sent the Suzuki, Ukita, and Mimura to face the Ouchi reinforcements. The Imagawa had their forces arrayed in a Garyo formation with archers and arquebusiers overlooking the mountainside, using a series of tate shields the Ouchi advanced up the mountain to attack. [3] The Imagawa brought their main forces to bear on the Ouchi. however the Ouchi had an edge in being fresher than their opponents and managed to keep the Imagawa at bay.

Yoshida Koriyama would continue to be besieged, with the Ouchi relief forces engaging in clashes with the Imagawa for several days.

[1] Motonari's younger sons or at least 2 of them, one got butterflied away.

[2] Harukata's son, committed suicide with his father after their defeat at Miyajima OTL.

[3] Garyo or birds in flight, a formation used to defend hillsides.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.