A Son of Spain (and Austria)

I. Un Milagro, Un Milagro Principe.

A SON OF SPAIN (AND AUSTRIA)

22nd of June, 1498. Salamanca, Castile.
Chaos was in the air. Or rather, in the Dowager Princess of Asturias and Girona's birthing chamber. Midwives, some of the most experienced and revered in all of Spain were positioned all over the chamber, scrambling around to tend to the Dowager Princess with no real set of instructions as to what they should do, leaving a few of the women idle and without cause, compelling them to shout words of encouragement to the young widow, who was naturally under much pressure to birth what many considered to be the last hope for Spain. A Son. A Son of the Trastamara Dynasty. A Miracle Prince.

Seated beside the Princess' bed was her one time mother-in-law, Queen Isabel of Castile herself, hunched over the side of the bed, allowing her son's widow to practically crush her hand with the strength of her squeezes, whispering a strange jumble of quiet prayers and demands for her to push, all in good spirit of course. The Castilian Queen then placed her free hand atop of the Dowager Princess' forehead, feeling her hand instantly become drenched in a clammy moisture and a feverish heat.

Isabel removed her hand as quickly as she had put it there. "She's burning, fetch her a cold cloth at once." she demanded to one of the midwives, who obeyed her orders instantly. I mean, who wouldn't? Not only was she her queen, but she was quite possibly the greatest queen of all time. "Margarita, dear, you must push." she encouraged, "for the sake of this baby. Your son. My grandson!"

Margaret of Austria and Burgundy, usually known as Margarita in Spain, rested for a few moments, allowing herself to pluck up the strength to push once more. A powerful, determined push followed, accompanied with an ear shattering scream that rumbled the entire palace. This was the last push. Margaret could feel it, she could feel the baby's head only moments away from entering this world. It happened so quickly for everyone else, but for Margaret it felt like hours. Endless hours of pushing and screaming or endless hours of being told to push and scream, but alas, it happened.

Doña Elvira de Osorio was the woman that had the honour of being the first person to hold the baby. The heir or heiress to both Castilla and Aragon.

Margaret struggled for a moment, trying to gather the words. "What is it?" she demanded, "What is it?".

Doña Elvira handed the newborn to another midwife to be cleansed of it's mother's blood. "It is a boy, your highness!" she cried, "and a healthy one at that!"

An instant wave of relief swept over Margaret, flowing from her head to her toes and then rolling off of her body and a smile began to form on her face. She had a son. A Son of Spain. "Give him to me!" she ordered. "Give him to me now, please!".

Queen Isabel rose from the stool that sat beside Margaret's bed, taking her grandson, now cleaned, from the midwife, holding him in her arms for a few moments as she began to feel tears of joy well up in her dull blue eyes, a flash of grief for her son, Prince Juan passing her as she gazed upon his infant child who reminded her so much of him.

Isabella passed her grandson to his mother, who too felt even more tears well up in her eyes, except this time they were tears of joy. "I am a mother." she whispered softly to herself. It felt like everyone had disappeared for Margaret. That the only two that remained in the room were Margaret and her son, who she had just remembered needed a name.

"Juan." she said, not a trace of hesitation nor uncertainty in her voice. "I will name him Juan, for his father."

The Queen couldn't agree more with the choice of name for the newborn Prince of Asturias. "It is fine name for a fine boy." she remarked. "a fine boy with a fine mother." she smiled at her former daughter-in-law, who's chestnut curls had to be swept away from her eyes so that she could see.

There was an abrupt knock at the door, a heavy knock. "Enter." Isabella called back in reply. At once, the door were swung open by a page.

As it goes, the young page boy announced the entrance of two more important Spanish royals. The Infanta Maria, who was currently being mooted as a potential bride for the Scottish King, and Infanta Catalina, who was likely to be married to the English Tudor Prince, both of the girl's being the former sisters-in-law to the Austrian Archduchess and so, the new Infante's aunts. He had two more aunts, as well as an uncle, but they all either were married off and living abroad or giving birth to what everyone hoped to be the next King of Portugal across the peninsula.

"We have named him Juan." Isabel smiled at her daughters, bending over to kiss Juan's forehead. "For his father."

The pair of teenage infanta's, who were all but vibrating with excitement to meet their new nephew, were promptly at Margaret's side, marvelling at John as if he were some sort of tropical species from the Indies or the Moorish lands. "I can't wait to have a son one day." remarked the Infanta Maria.

"Me neither." agreed Infanta Catalina.

Last edited:
Question for anyone who sees this: Who do you think Maria is most likely to marry if her sister lives? I know James IV was considered but would Isabella and Ferdinand really go for a match with Scotland??

"Me neither." agreed Infanta Catherine
Catalina, she won't become Catherine until she goes to England ;). That said, I'm really excited for this TL! Surviving Trastaramara Spain is one of my favourite tropes and your writing is great, so I'll surely be following this closely to see how it goes. Too bad for the Habsburgs I guess, but at least this means Philip isn't dying in 1506 and he'll probably get to become Emperor. Good for Juana also, who likely won't spend her life in imprisonement and actually get to raise her children here.

About your question regarding María's marriage, the match with James of Scotland was proposed at some point in hopes of turning him away from French sympathies but I'm not certain just how serious Ferdinand and Isabella were about it and if it really had any chances of going through had the circumstances (Isabella's survival) allowed it. You never know with this couple, especially Ferdinand. Scotland's status as a kingdom was considerably inferior to that of Spain and even England and a marriage to Infanta María would likely one the grandest matches ever acquired by a Scottish king. There's also the fact that Henry VII wanted his daughter Margaret to become James' wife and queen, and María guetting in the way could lead to tensions between Tudors and Trastamáras and jeopardize Catalina's betrothal to Arthur Tudor.

Also, another option for María is Vladislaus II of Hungary, in OTL he was bigamously married at this point but it was annulled in 1500 and it can be done earlier with some encouragement from the Catholic Monarchs. There's also Jan I of Poland, ruled from 1492 but died unmarried and childless in 1501 and Christian II of Denmark, who didn't marry until 1515 (to María's Austrian niece) but he's probably the most useless match to Ferdinand and Isabella, can't see what he can offer them at all.

But anyways, great story!

Last edited:
Also, anothe roption for María is Vladislaus II of Hungary, in OTL he was bigamously married at this point but anulled in 1500 and it can be done earlier with some encouragement from the Catholic Monarchs. There's also Jan I of Poland, ruled from 1492 but died unmarried and childless in 1501 and Christian II of Denmark, who didn't marry until 1515 (to María's Austrian niece) but he's probably the most useless match to Ferdinand and Isabella, can't see what he can offer them at all.
Honorable mention to Charles VIII or Louis XII, should one of Anne of Brittany’s miscarriages or stillbirth result in her death.

I fail to see why either would want to wed a Spanish infanta considering the messy mess that was French-Spanish relations...
For peace of course, marriage was always a good way of settling disputes like that of the Italian Wars. Charles V attempted it with his betrothals to Louise and then Charlotte, but it failed. So the union could still happen, but I think unlikely the peace will last very long if the French try and force their rather weak claim to Naples.

hello everyone, thank you for the kind comments and feedback. it's been really motivating :closedeyesmile:

I think this little boy can probably wed either Eleanor of Austria or Mary Tudor?
I think Mary Tudor or a female child of Isabella of Aragon (if she has a girl instead of Miguel) would be most likely as Spain has just had a double match with Austria-Burgundy so they may not seek for a third one even if it is another generation.

Catalina, she won't become Catherine until she goes to England ;)
Interesting point, i'll begin using names as they usually are in the region the character is in :happyblush

also, another option for María is Vladislaus II of Hungary
I quite like the idea of Maria marrying the king of Hungary, i suppose i should choose a husband for Maria soon however as shes of an appropriate maritable age of the era

and as for the match to one of the mentioned french kings... well, i could perhaps see Ferdinand arrange it after the death of his wife (whenever that should be)

Last edited:
II. La Gran Inconclusa

29th of June, 1498, Salamanca, Castile.
Maria could not help but feel down. Today was her special day, the day that saw her turn from aged fifteen to sixteen, the day that was supposed to be spent celebrating her life and yet, her newborn nephew Infante Juan was taking all the attention away from her. It had already been a week since his birth and still, nobles from all ends of Castile and Aragon came dancing down to Salamanca with gifts and congratulations alike, hoping to catch a glimpse of the boy that would one day rule over all of them. Maria watched enviously as the Infante of Castile and Aragon was presented with chalices formed with some of the finest gold smelted from the new world. Clothing, in all sizes imaginable embroidered by some of the finest fabrics and threads in all of Europe. Tapestries embroidered depicting great events in Spanish history by nuns who had been lodged away in convents most of their lives to avoid marriage or live quiet lives and that was just the beginning of it, Maria knew not where to start with the sheer amount of gifts that had arrived from the royal courts of Europe. She could not lie to herself, she may have been presented with a few gifts, perhaps the most enticing being two brand new gowns which she had received from her mother and father, aside from that, there was little else. Maria had always been grateful for anything she had been given in live, but she couldn't deny that she was filled with jealousy of Juan. But still, she held out hope, perhaps the King and Queen had a surprise in sight for her.

"Maria. Why do you have that sour look plastered across your face?" Catalina questioned, noticing her sisters glumness. She felt a small smile creep up on the corners of her mouth, "Is it because our nephew is receiving more attention than you on your own birthdate?"

Maria took a deep breathe, turning her nose up to her sister. "No, of course not." she said, seeming not convincing enough as Catalina burst into a fit of laughter. Maria could feel her cheeks tingle slightly with anger. "What are you laughing at?" she demanded, trying to sound as stern and intimidating as possible. "Catalina, I fail to understand what appears to be oh so humorous to you." Catalina gulped down her laughter, using all her might to not smile. In truth, she was laughing at her sister's expression. It anything but funny, Catalina just loved to make her sister feel a fool. However it was common knowledge that Catalina preferred Maria to all her sisters, and that she did not truly mean any of it. "Please, Catalina, Enlighten me." Maria said, once again trying to paint an illusion of intimidation.

"It is nothing." Catalina said, "But I would be careful, dear sister, we are to have another two nephews before this year closes." she paused, but Maria knew exactly what her next words would be. "Then you'll be forgotten about." she spoke, quickly scurrying away to be with her nephew as well as avoid whatever reaction her sister might let out.

+

23rd of August, 1498, Riberia Palace, Lisbon, Portugal.
There was a woman, a slightly older woman, maybe in her late twenties or so, sitting upright on a rock-hard mattress which rested on a finely carved bed, this was a Queen's bed, the Queen of Portugal's bed. Such woman went by the name of Isabel. An Infanta of Aragon and Castile by birth, Queen Isabel of Portugal had been married once before, firstly to a man named Afonso, who had previously been heir to the Kingdom of Portugal, and secondly, to King Manuel of Portugal, her present husband. In her bed, Isabel swaddled a heavy, unmoving bundle of blankets, seeming to have a human child inside of them, sleeping soundly in his mother's arms but no, what Isabel was actually held in her arms was a corpse dressed in blankets. The corpse of her son, who was born dead.

Deleted member 147978

In her bed, Isabel swaddled a heavy, unmoving bundle of blankets, seeming to have a human child inside of them, sleeping soundly in his mother's arms but no, what Isabel was actually held in her arms was a corpse dressed in blankets. The corpse of her son, who was born dead.
What an Absolute Bruh Moment™️.

Poor Isabel! And Miguel also who won’t even get to be named and baptized as such in this universe. It seems Margaret and Isabel’s babies switched fates, one lives so the other one has to die. I really hope she and Manuel can recover from this loss and have a few more children to secure Portuguese succession.

Great update!

Excellent start!!! I love seeing a surviving Trastamaras dynasty and happier Isabella. Can’t way to see how this plays out!

A pity for Portugal. Hopefully Manuel and Isabella have plenty of children and Portugal is kept off Spanish hands forever!