A Son of Aragon - Henry VIII's Catholic Heir

You should really make a website for the timeline of this story. This is really interesting and its my favorite alternative history yet! It doesn't even have to be about the Tudors but it can also be like a compilation of the interesting stories and theories on this forum. Sometimes I'm having a hard time following because of the posts in between. Perhaps you can make one from a website builder like hPage.com? If no one's up for it, can I just compile the thread posts myself?

Thanks glad you are enjoying it! As Rarayn says there are threadmarks for navigation but I will also upload this to the "Finished Timelines" section once I finish the next part to make reading it easier.

Great update Direwolf! I kinda agree that two French kings suddenly dying seems a little too convenient, but then you have stuff like the second Miracle of the House of Brandenburg OTL, so it doesn't really bother me much.

@lipisticki if you go to the top of the page, there's a little box that says "threadmarks" above the topmost post. Clicking it opens a list of chapters/updates, allowing you to skip right to them instead of reading/scrolling past the posts in-between. Not all timelines have them, but it's a convenient tool for those that do!

True there was an element of (in)convenience about it but stranger things have happened. I would also point out that such a high mortality rate amongst French monarchs was common in France in the second half of the 16th Century and actually in this timeline the fighting in France breaks out two years LATER than it did in OTL. With 1562 seeing the first fighting in France OTL.

Ooh, might we get a more divergent, more prestigious Scots as an independent language in this timeline? I imagine they're writing a lot of vitriol toward their southern neighbour, and probably don't have the best attitude toward the Inglis leid.

The introduction of a new and foreign (or at least half-foreign) dynasty always brings pretty substantial change (e.g. the Bourbon and Habsburg inheritances in Spain, or the Stuart and Hanover inheritances in Great Britain), so I'm eager to see what the House of Avis-Tudor brings to its new home realm. Portugal in particular has a very distinct royal tradition and court atmosphere at this point in time, so I wonder whether or not shades of Portuguese bureaucracy or Portuguese foreign policy might manifest themselves in TTL's 16th century England. An almost entirely new trajectory seems to have been established.

I know some are bothered by the supposed convenience of two French kings dying and France being unable to assist their Scottish allies, but I don't really see anything here that feels contrived. After all, OTL France during this period had the exceptionally bad stroke of luck of having two of its kings die without legitimate sons, while in the meantime the only other remaining cadet branch of the Valois had gone extinct with Charles IV d'Alençon (I mean, three French monarchs have died from tennis-related incidents, for goodness' sake). I know France was once again coming into its own in a big way during the first half of the 16th century, but I still seriously doubt that the French monarchy could have had a definitive effect on an English civil war such as this, even with the Scots involved.

But maybe I just find a heavily Portuguese-aligned England to be much more interesting than the safer close-to-OTL Protestant Anglo-Scottish Union ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ooh, might we get a more divergent, more prestigious Scots as an independent language in this timeline? I imagine they're writing a lot of vitriol toward their southern neighbour, and probably don't have the best attitude toward the Inglis leid.

Yes I imagine it will. I will be hoping to create a more independent Scottish identity and future than in OTL.

The introduction of a new and foreign (or at least half-foreign) dynasty always brings pretty substantial change (e.g. the Bourbon and Habsburg inheritances in Spain, or the Stuart and Hanover inheritances in Great Britain), so I'm eager to see what the House of Avis-Tudor brings to its new home realm. Portugal in particular has a very distinct royal tradition and court atmosphere at this point in time, so I wonder whether or not shades of Portuguese bureaucracy or Portuguese foreign policy might manifest themselves in TTL's 16th century England. An almost entirely new trajectory seems to have been established.

I know some are bothered by the supposed convenience of two French kings dying and France being unable to assist their Scottish allies, but I don't really see anything here that feels contrived. After all, OTL France during this period had the exceptionally bad stroke of luck of having two of its kings die without legitimate sons, while in the meantime the only other remaining cadet branch of the Valois had gone extinct with Charles IV d'Alençon (I mean, three French monarchs have died from tennis-related incidents, for goodness' sake). I know France was once again coming into its own in a big way during the first half of the 16th century, but I still seriously doubt that the French monarchy could have had a definitive effect on an English civil war such as this, even with the Scots involved.

But maybe I just find a heavily Portuguese-aligned England to be much more interesting than the safer close-to-OTL Protestant Anglo-Scottish Union ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks! And yes you do raise some of the points that I referred to in regards to France. I think this leaves open some really interesting possibilities for a very different England. Portuguese influences (and ambitions) will being impacting England in a big way in the next few decades.

You realize you could just click on the author's name and check what their last post on this forum was, yes? Given how the post before yours, made in october, was his last one here, you might draw your own conclusions without necroing a thread?