A Son of Aragon - Henry VIII's Catholic Heir

Will also try during this to take in reader interests about what you'd all like to see after the first few updates.
I can ask about weird Danish qustions then!

Hint you can have Henry VIII support Christan II keeping him on the throne, while nominal protestant he was pragmatic enough to change his faith if it helped him.

Last edited:
I can ask about weird Danish qustions then!

Hint you can have Henry VIII support Christan III keeping him on the throne, while nominal protestant he was pragmatic enough to change his faith if it helped him.

Possibly. I can look into it.

But like my other timeline I have plans to do a lot around Europe/world in the next few decades so it will be far more than just on Henry's court

This one - definitely - I will follow.

No Idea where it can lead... - not even in the short time. I assume it will need decades to make really big differences - internationally...

But there is one thing I will blame on you even this early - Blackadder II will be different - unrecognisable - :'(

Please tell me that baby prince of Wales will be named something else than Henry. Since he has had two dead brothers named that it might seem omnious. Edward instead for the Sun of York, his great-grandfather.

I think the fact that he had so many stillborn children most certainly is an indication that there’s something wrong on the genetics level,especially since most of the stillborns happened when Henry was athletic and young.

You are forgetting something with that one, though: Katherine of Aragon's seven years of deprivation, damaging her health. She was eating clearance priced food, couldn't pay her servants......and became overly, overly religious, observing all the fast days (which added to the problem). All the pregnancy issues can be answered with that as well.

This one - definitely - I will follow.

No Idea where it can lead... - not even in the short time. I assume it will need decades to make really big differences - internationally...

But there is one thing I will blame on you even this early - Blackadder II will be different - unrecognisable - :'(

Allways look on the bright side ... that it would be different might also make it better :D

Please tell me that baby prince of Wales will be named something else than Henry. Since he has had two dead brothers named that it might seem omnious. Edward instead for the Sun of York, his great-grandfather.

I'm going to call him Arthur. Firstly like you said hes already had two failed Henry's. Secondly one of the themes I will be playing with is Henry VIII inheriting now his father's Camelot dream. Henry VII was influenced by Camelot and Arthurian legend. Henry VIII will now go the same way. Seeking to create a peaceful utopia at home (or what his own version of a Humanist Utopia would look like) as his Camelot while achieving glory abroad.

My big question (as it's typically me lolol) what avaliable princesses are there for baby Prince?

Catherine, who's position is now much stronger, will push for Hapsburg or Portuguese marriage anything but a French match. Alternatively an English domestic marriage is always a possibility.

I think the fact that he had so many stillborn children most certainly is an indication that there’s something wrong on the genetics level,especially since most of the stillborns happened when Henry was athletic and young.
We'll never know if it was genetic defect or mere bad luck. Or fault of doctors-16th century doctors were mass murderers.

Arthur I sounds good!

Perhaps a french match instead? No hapsburgs or portugese at a proppriate age at that time.

There aren't any male descended Habsburgs, but there are plenty of children by Isabella von Habsburg, Queen of Denmark, Sweden and Norway, who would work well here.

Henry will be quite protective of his son and will delay match making for the time being - just like he did in OTL with his children.

Arthur's birth however will free up Mary for a marriage which she was denied in OTL due to a lack of male heir / the whole Anne Boleyn situation

Arthur I sounds good!

Perhaps a french match instead? No hapsburgs or portugese at a proppriate age at that time.
Maria of Viseu was born in 1521, so there is one Portuguese candidate.

Arthur... this name also should be considered unlucky among English royalty.
Another option is to name Prince after saint, whose feast is on the day of his birth, like with Sebastian of Portugal, perhaps King and Queen came to conclusion, that Saint "X" would thus protect Prince from fate of his brothers.

#1 England 1517
Dreams of Camelot: England 1517

Henry dreamed. It was an old dream. And a new. He saw England, His England - stretched before him. He saw a great land, at peace, green, fertile and bountiful. And he saw himself - a king in glory.

It changed. He saw battle. War. Death. Prestige. Old lands in France retaken. His place in history assured. The Battle of the Spurs. He lived it again. The sound and smell of battle. The French in retreat. Victory. His victory - though why did it feel hollow?

He saw two men before him. Each great and powerful. Armies and gold at their backs. Francis and Charles. Besides them his own kingdom looked small, HE looked small. This was not right. He should be a great king. He was King of England.

His brother’s voice. Arthur. Whispering to him. Doubts, so many doubts. The brother who had been meant to be king. Then his father’s. Disappointed. So disappointed. Failures, divisions, the dynasty ending. Where was the golden age? Where was Camelot? Henry’s dreams and ambitions.

His brother’s voice again. Telling him to be better, be stronger, be great. Glory and prestige. His lost son, Henry. Dead six years back. The memory scarred him. Heartbroken of the loss of his son, his heir. Mary. Catherine. Another woman. All came to him. His father again: where was the Camelot he had dreamt off? He lost his Arthur - could Henry be that? Could he ensure one?

Henry was woken suddenly. A page. The queen was in labour. They hadn’t been sure this time. A miscarriage had threatened before*, but none came. He was taken to her. The doctors were there, the priests, the sycophants. It seemed to drag on. Hours. He went inside, came out again, paced. Prayed. Then came the news, the blessed news. A son. Catherine had born him a son. A name? Henry was the obvious choice - but no the memories of the lost son. Edward? The dream. His father, brother. Camelot.

“Arthur”.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arthur, Prince of Wales, was born to Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon on November 10th 1517. The pregnancy had been a difficult one but the prince had been born safely and healthily and Catherine too delivered the child without suffering anymore than usual for a woman in that time.

King Henry was ecstatic about the birth of a child, but wary too following the death of his son Henry in 1511. The king took great pains to ensure the safety of the prince and attended a special session of Mass to thank God for his son and to ensure his continuing health. The bells were rung out across England and a great tournament was held by Henry organised by his chief minister and adviser Cardinal Thomas Wolsey. The birth of a healthy son re-enamoured Henry with his wife and saw the end of his ongoing affair with Elizabeth Blount. Though Henry would of course have other mistresses in his time as king his committed in marriage to Catherine would remain unbroken until her death. There was now renewed hope for further children.

Following the birth of the prince and his naming, Henry VIII took on his father’s dream to create a new Camelot in England. Henry VIII had long been obsessed with stories of chivalry and knightly virtue. A long admirer of the joust and its heroes as well as taking seriously his membership as a member of both Order of the Garter and Order of the Bath. These ceremonies and honours he received as a child left a great imprint on the young king. Henry was determined to create an era of peace and prosperity at home during his reign, which when compared to the religious disorder of the continent in this period he did indeed achieve. He was committed to handing over to his son a kingdom united and at peace. If there were battles to be fought, and there always would be, they would be abroad. In France. As the never ending conflict between Valois and Habsburg would soon once more flare into life.

Henry-and-Catherine-together.jpg

This sounds cool, as a sapient being who finds the promise of this topic interesting, I shall resolve to read this further as time goes on.

HAPPY CATHERINE OF ARAGON!!!! *INCOHERENT SCREAMING*

I very much support a danish match for baby Arthur.

Are Henry and Catherine gonna have more babies? Perhaps a duke of York can be managed with the years that are left?

HAPPY CATHERINE OF ARAGON!!!! *INCOHERENT SCREAMING*

I very much support a danish match for baby Arthur.

Are Henry and Catherine gonna have more babies? Perhaps a duke of York can be managed with the years that are left?

Always felt bad for her in The Tudors.

They're certainly going to try yes.