"A Shot Heard Around the World" - New Website

Hi all,

Well as promised I've updated the website for "A Shot Heard Around the World" - there's now a fair chunk of new material, an outline that takes the timeline to where I originally intended to finish but never got round to writing about, and an epilogue. There's also tons of maps and flags etc- and stay tuned for an utterly gigantic and highly detailed world map of the ASHATW world (if printed out full size it'd come to about 2 metres by 1 metre!)

I've also got a bit of non-ASHATW AH content on there- most notably a few extracts from a tourist guide to the Federated Soclialist Republic of Britain...

http://www.quarryhouse.free-online.co.uk/ed/Althist.htm

Enjoy!

Is it me, or does it seem that the ASHATW-verse is actually a better place to live in than OTL (unlike most AH worlds)?

Well, I'd say it depends on who you are and where you live. For most European males I'd say that on balance it is a better TL to live in, at least in the first half of the 20th century- you're less likely to be killed in a general war and there are no concentration camps or death squads to worry about, whether Fascist or Communist. Central Europe is certainly better off, and even Russia, while still pretty brutal, is unlikely to get as bad is it did OTL. OTOH, I'd say that people from France, Spain and Turkey amongst other places would probably see OTL as a better deal, and the lack of anything approaching a holocaust means that many strands of Fascist thought will not be discredited- and the same goes to a lesser extent for Communism.

After that, I think it depends on what your personal views are. Is the lack of an Israel a good thing for example, or the fact that large areas of Africa remain under colonial control? I expect the ASHATW world would be generally more socially conservative and jingoistic as well, which may or may not be a bad thing depending on your point of view. Having said all that, I expect the majority of people living in the ASHATW world would find OTL slightly on the dark side.

EdT said:
After that, I think it depends on what your personal views are. Is the lack of an Israel a good thing for example

IMO Israel is unlikely anyway without a Holocaust, and if the Jews are doing fine Europe, what need is there for an Israel, with the accompanying turmoil in the Middle East?

EdT said:
Or the fact that large areas of Africa remain under colonial control?

Better than being under the control of the kleptocrats who dominate OTL sub-saharan Africa...

Well, as I say, YMMV on what aspects are better then OTL, and which aren't.

George Carty said:
IMO Israel is unlikely anyway without a Holocaust, and if the Jews are doing fine Europe, what need is there for an Israel, with the accompanying turmoil in the Middle East?

I expect that Palestine will be a trouble spot in this TL- there will be Jewish immigration there, just not anything like OTL's, and mostly of more extreme Zionists. When the Ottoman Empire collapses I expect an attempt at setting up a Jewish State will be made, although it'll be crushed by British and Syrian forces. Supplying money and arms for the Jewish rebels in Palestine will be a cause celebre in Jewish districts of the US, much as NORAID was so popular amongst Irish Americans in the 70's and 80's. The Russians will probably also be trying to forment trouble in the region as well.

I must applaud you on your slick design and such. It's really nice.

Also, I came upon this on the other TL that you're working on:
the authorities have displayed several antique occult instruments such as an Ouija board and a copy of the Necronomicon that they claim were found in a store-room, as well as copies

....you a Lovecraft fan?

G.Bone said:
....you a Lovecraft fan?

I am indeed :D . The reference is to the tour of Sandringham right? Do a google search for Aleister Crowley, and you'll see why he might own a copy- and why he's such an excellent potential friend and confidente for any young prince of the realm >Evil laugh<

Pax Britannia - Norway is the same colour because I have Edward VII (OTL's Edward VIII) marrying Crown Princess Ingmar of Norway (OTL's Olav V, in this TL a different sperm won out so the child was a girl) in the 30's. This means that the children of the couple inherit both thrones- and while this means intrinsicly little in political terms, it strengthens Anglo-Norwegian ties enough for Noway to decide to join the Commonwealth instead of the Baltic League.

Or to put it another way, it's a homage to the days when I used to pay Diplomacy as Britain- Norway was always the first place I gobbled up :rolleyes:

And if you're a Turk it's certainly not a better place to live since areas containing 75% of them are now parts of other countries so most of them are dead.

EdT said:
Well, I'd say it depends on who you are and where you live. For most European males I'd say that on balance it is a better TL to live in, at least in the first half of the 20th century- you're less likely to be killed in a general war and there are no concentration camps or death squads to worry about, whether Fascist or Communist. Central Europe is certainly better off, and even Russia, while still pretty brutal, is unlikely to get as bad is it did OTL. OTOH, I'd say that people from France, Spain and Turkey amongst other places would probably see OTL as a better deal, and the lack of anything approaching a holocaust means that many strands of Fascist thought will not be discredited- and the same goes to a lesser extent for Communism.

After that, I think it depends on what your personal views are. Is the lack of an Israel a good thing for example, or the fact that large areas of Africa remain under colonial control? I expect the ASHATW world would be generally more socially conservative and jingoistic as well, which may or may not be a bad thing depending on your point of view. Having said all that, I expect the majority of people living in the ASHATW world would find OTL slightly on the dark side.

Faeelin

Banned
I'm not happy with it, but I've gotta agree with Abdul.

Why does a stronger Ottoman Empire get wiped out so quickly, and not get restored after the war?

Yes, I was wondering why the Ottoman Empire was not restored after the war, given that it was attacked by the bad guys...

This timeline was offhandly mentioned in another timeline I was reading and I was just wondering if there is a place for me to dig it up? the original link no longer works...

Thanks

Seeing as this has been ressurected, it's probably a good time to say that I will be completely overhauling my website at some point soon- have the look done, it's just a matter of importing all the text from ASHATW, "A Greater Britain", "1910 A Space Odyssey" and "Fight and be Right".

Maybe in a couple of months...

Seeing as this has been ressurected, it's probably a good time to say that I will be completely overhauling my website at some point soon- have the look done, it's just a matter of importing all the text from ASHATW, "A Greater Britain", "1910 A Space Odyssey" and "Fight and be Right".

Maybe in a couple of months...

And speaking of 1910: A Space Odyssey, when are you going to update? :mad::eek: