A series of assumptions: a Britwank on a budget?

I posted the quote because it made me think that Trudeau would buy Leopard 1 tanks regardless of the merits of the Chieftain ITTL. Instead he has to be a close personal friend of the British Prime Minister, who was Harold Wilson until 5th April 1976 when he was succeeded by James Callaghan.
I know. Its just a very Trudeau thing to do, deciding a major military procurement decision based on a personal relationship. Though its not that uncommon, and the EEC connection made sense in the framework of the Liberal Governments foreign policy decisions of the day, so perhaps I am being too harsh.

Based on what I know of Trudeau's personality I can't see him clicking with the British government heads of the day. He was not overly fond of connection to Britain to start with, and his political persona was based around a certain irreverence for them. He is famous for doing a pirouette behind the Queen's back during the ceremony repatriating Canada's constitution. I understand this did help his popularity, particularly in Quebec.

Between this and the Liberal position on foreign policy at the time being more Eurocentric, I am not sure the Trudeau government would order British Tanks, no matter how good. At least as long as the Leopard is a viable alternative.

My two cents on Chieftain:

The only figure I've seen for the V8's power was some 700hp, which would be quite a bit of power/L or power/cylinder but doesn't sound unachievable when one considers that the AVDS-1790 was effectively a diesel conversion of a carburetted gasoline engine from the late 40s, which is unlikely to be that efficient. The MB 838 V10 that went into the Leopard 1 was bulky, but IIRC was not purpose-made for tanks and Germany had to kinda rush things with the Leo 1. They tested a 1000hp version of it in 1960 and they could probably have made it reliable with 1960's technology if the will had been there.
Therefore, I think 700hp out of the brand new RR V8 is doable.

Also, the Chieftain with the V8 was supposed to be a foot shorter. The L60 installation suffered from vibrations which mandated modifications that moved components to the outside of the vehicle. It is doubtful that this layout was ideal from a reliability, powerpack-change and weight standpoint. The notoriously high oil consumption also led to a large oil tank. It is said that getting to the L60 increased weight by 1 ton, but I do not know if it included only the increase in hull size, or included the engine weight difference, the extra oil and other changes too. In the latter case, the total weight growth might have been up to 2-3 tons, but more likely 2.

The L60 also was not very fuel efficient IIRC, so the V8 might have increased range with the same amount of fuel, maybe 500km instead of 400 out of the 850+ liters the Chieftain carried. IIRC torque is also not that great on opposed piston engines of that generation and it's certainly the case with that one, so the increase in performance may be higher than the horsepower rating suggests. As someone said earlier, outside of possibly being available and reliably doing its intended power output, the RR V8 might have revealed flaws with the rest of the automotive components sooner. In that regard, it is absolutely possible that the Chieftain would have been ready sooner on that front, maybe allowing designers to work on the rest of the tank or introducing it sooner. The bean-countering argument likely became moot with the constant upgrades and reliability issues of the L60. From a commercial standpoint, the RR V8 would also likely have been more successful than the L60 (the Vickers Medium gets a net mobility increase from the start, Centurions can be upgraded with it...).

IMO, the Chieftain has always been held back by bean-countering moves and occasionally questionnable design choices/bad timing:

- I know that many myths surround the Horstmann suspension, but IMO it is very overrated and should have remained a WW2/Centurion thing (even the Centurion was behind the curve in suspension design). It's suspension characteristics are poor and restrict high speed performance and the ability to fire on the move. It is also very heavy for what it does. Going to torsion bar would save over 2 tons at least, likely more, and IMO the height increase argument is overrated as the Chieftain already had features that made it rather high, TBs can fit in dead spaces and you can also reduce the space they take by stamping ribs they fit through like on Soviet MBTs. And you can get more mobile.

- the 120 bagged charge concept with APDS was a logical evolution at the time it was proposed, although the lack of British interest in smoothbore guns and APFSDS would be problematic later on. Bagged charges were logical when semi-combustible ammo was not yet ready. Nonetheless one cannot ignore that the execution of the L11 was a bit botched: the steel used was excessively elastic which mandated the use of a shroud to prevent it from warping too much (even beyond thermal effects). The canvas shroud itself was pretty much obsolete, far inferior to the aluminium shroud used on the AMX 30's 105 in 1967 or the fibreglass one on Soviet, German and then US guns. The problem is that canvas rots with humidity. The raw power is also a bit underwhelming, 1370 m/s with APDS out of a 120 L55, slower than 105 APDS even.

- keeping the steel roadwheels of the Centurion instead of using more modern steel or aluminium ones guaranteed a needless increase in weight... The steel tracks (rubber addons were an afterthought) were rather heavy too.

- the secondary choice of ammo is questionnable: HESH was considerably inferior to HEAT against armored targets (also very slow), and useless against composite ones. A well-made shaped charge in the 60s would have made even early Soviet composite armor vulnerable (note that NATO 120mm HEAT with weak compound B explosives and a small diameter warhead due to high velocity could already penetrate 480mm, Soviet requirements were 450 for their armor at first). HESH is also poor for various reasons against infantry relative to HEAT-FRAG or HE-FRAG. Good against concrete yes, but you have AVREs for demolition.

- the armor was made with the 100mm D-10T firing full bore rounds in mind, which is good except that this threat was nearly 2 decades old at this point. It was mostly inadequate against the 115mm of the 1962 T-62, and even against NATO 105mm APDS. I can't really blame the British since even the early Leopard 2 and MBT-70 merely requested protection against 105 APDS from 800m, but the weight of armor required to achieve that objective was high and it is surprising that mere cast steel was used and that the British did not put more effort into more modern armor arrays until Chobham. The late entry into service meant that Chieftain was deployed when such protection could have been achieved with lighter spaced arrays. The Leopard 2 prototypes weighed some 42-45 tons with huge turrets and a really large engine in 1969, yet could get the protection of a 56 tons Chieftain...

- I think an optical rangefinder had plenty of reasons to be there even with the 12.7mm RMG.

- the reclined driver's position didn't really decrease weight, it just improved comfort. The weird hull layout with slightly sloped side walls and floor aren't conducive to a low layout because of reduced space along the width of the tank and on the floor (and you can't always efficiently make use of this weird space to fit things, which are sometimes square). IMO that shape was too much complexity for next to no gains. They could have got Abrams-level low. If you want mine protection, do it like on the Leopard 2 and DON'T USE HORSTMANN.
1611076549150.png
1611076669313.png
(Look towards the roadhweel hubs, it's sloped)

- the wet stowage increased weight and complexity relative to armored ammo bins and was of questionnable value per American and Soviet testing. Maybe it worked specifically well with bagged charges, but it's weird that the Brits did it on the Chieftain but not on the WW2 Centurion?

- the ruby laser rangefinder they added in the 70s was actually worse than optical rangefinders due to false returns. According to tankers, Marconi did a much better FCS/laser rangefinder for export than the botched IFCS the Chieftains ended up being upgraded with. Bean countering.

- No passive night sights that do not require swapping with day sights in the 70s. Bean countering. The loss of No.21 cupola was unfortunate.

- no heater until the 80's. SHAMELESS BEAN COUNTERING.

- IIRC the Vickers MBT MK.1 got better stabs. Bean countering.

IMO, getting under 50 tons with plenty of other improvements was perfectly doable if the Treasury wasn't so penny wise and pound foolish. Paying for all the unreliable components to replace and losing many export contracts (Canada before Trudeau arrived namely) ended up being more costly. The torsion bar technology used by Vickers since the late 1940s should have been applied. That and the RR V8 are the easiest and most bang for the buck "assumptions" you can use in this thread.

Sidenote: After the Chieftain, the coherent option in this thread would be to avoid the FMBT program with Germany in 1972, just start with the MBT-80 concept this early so you get the next tank in the late 70s/early 80s instead of the late 80s, avoiding the shenanigans caused by the Iranian revolution.

Last edited:

Riain

Banned
@Bougnas I can't disagree with your technical points, I would say however that this is Britain so many or most won't happen.

Was torsion bar suspension ever contemplated for the Chieftain? If not then it won't be here even if it was a good idea, because from what I can tell the whole idea of the Chieftain was an evolution of the successful Centurion with some of the good features of the Conqueror. I can include the RR V8 because it saves money on the development of the L60 and time as well, but all the other good stuff will go the way it did for exactly the same reasons as it did IOTL.

BTW the attached picture is the '40 Ton Centurion' concept vehicle of 1956 the FV4202, not the FV4201 Chieftain prototype of 1959.

Attachments

• Centurion-Tank-FV4202-Prototype.jpg
    Centurion-Tank-FV4202-Prototype.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 99

Riain

Banned
It's the same reason why TTL RAF has a bunch of Lightnings rather than P1121s or whatever; it's what they had to work with and Lightnings are better than Hunter FGA9/FR10.

Riain

Banned
So what do I do with this tank info? What about the other things like the Aden Emergency, Indonesian Confrontation and Beira patrol?

Do I add them into this knowing that people have already read it? Or do I do it all then bang it out in one big hit?

So what do I do with this tank info? What about the other things like the Aden Emergency, Indonesian Confrontation and Beira patrol?

Do I add them into this knowing that people have already read it? Or do I do it all then bang it out in one big hit?
I guess the latter.

I guess the latter.

I would update it for the benefit of anyone reading this from the beginning - but also do a dump / big hit / single post showing the updates

It looks like the real problem was the tiny computer
Hardly a tiny computer for the day. That's Supermini sized. The VAX that did much of the timeshare computing at my Uni in that time frame only had 1MB memory.
For a milspec airborne computer, 2.4MB was probably reasonable.
There's an operational word for what Galtieri just did TTL, it's just not uhm polite.
What's impolite about "Charlie Foxtrot" ;):):p

McPherson

Banned
Hardly a tiny computer for the day. That's Supermini sized. The VAX that did much of the timeshare computing at my Uni in that time frame only had 1MB memory.

What's impolite about "Charlie Foxtrot" ;):):p
BDI is not the military acronym for Battle Damage Intelligence^1

^1 Brain Dead Idiocy.

Riain

Banned

Everything I've read has said that the GEC4080M's 1MB was small for the day, the other 1.4MB was from the bus.

From what I can tell that rings true as the 4080M was selected in 1977, the aircraft flew in 1982 and was tested from until 1986 when it was cancelled. Wiki has a list of the versions of the GEC 4000 series in approximate chronological order of appearance, which is very tough to verify, but am prepared to use it as a rough guide and compare it to the chronology of the Nimrod AEW3.
  • 4080: original 1973 model with 64–256 KiB of core memory
  • 4082: 4080 with up to 1 MiB of memory
  • 4070: entry-level model without memory interleaving
  • 4085: 4082 with semiconductor memory
  • 4060: entry-level model based on AMD Am2900 bit-slice processors
  • 4062/4065: 4060 supporting up to 1 MiB memory
  • 4080M: compact ruggedised 4080 for military applications
  • 4090: Am2900-based with 32-bit addressing extensions and up to 4 MiB of memory
  • 4190: revised 4090 with up to 16 MiB memory
  • 4180: cheaper, slower version of the 4190 (no memory cache, no fast multiply unit)
  • 4060M: compact ruggedised 4060 for military applications
  • 4160: 4065 with the 4090 32-bit addressing extensions
  • 4150: desktop 4160
  • 4162: 4160 with DMAD IOP(s) for high speed communications controllers
  • 4195: compact 4190
  • 4185: cheaper, slower version of the 4195 (no memory cache, no fast multiply unit)
  • 4151: rackmount 4150
  • 4190D: dual-processor 4190
  • 4193: 4195 with SCSI IOP replacing the default Normal Interface IOP
  • 4220: Reimplement 4190 using gate array processor technology
  • 4310: Motorola 88100 MVME187-based system emulating a GEC 4220
From what I can tell the 4060 with AMD2900 bit slice processors was released prior to the 4080M which lacked the AMD2900. The AMD2900 using 4MB 4090 came out next in line after the 4080M, followed by the 16MB 4190. My guess is that while the 4080M might have been OK in the late 70s when it was selected but by the time the Nimrod AEW3 was in testing in 1983-86 1MB was well behind what was possible with GEC4000 series.

I assume that in 1982-83 there was some combination of the GEC 4000 series versions and parts: rugged and compact 4060M with the AMD2900 processor which will fit into the TTL Trident 3, but that uses the 4190s 32 bit addressing extensions and 4MB of memory to give the base capability. Furthermore I assume that in that list there is an upgrade path: 4190 with 16MB of memory, 4160 DMAD IOP(s) for high speed communications controllers (whatever that is), 4190D dual processor, 4220 gate array processor. That should take the Trident AEW well into the 90s when the GEC4000 series sales were falling off, so maybe by 2000 it needs a new computer.

These are not suggestions for revisions. I'm interested in why you decided to do it the way that you did it.

ITTL you have Queen Elizabeth (ALT-CVA.01) built 1971-78 and Prince of Wales (ALT-CVA.02) built 1973-80. It would have been more logical for them to be built in place of the OTL Invincible and Illustrious. For one thing I think that the gap of one year between the Heath Government's decision to build two large aircraft carriers and the laying down of Queen Elizabeth is too small. I think the work required to change the design from a steam turbine to a gas turbine ship would have taken longer than that.

However, if had you done that the strike carriers would not have been completed until 1980 and 1982 respectively. Did you have the ships laid down in 1971 and 1973 do that so that the Royal Navy so that both ships would have been available for the Falklands War? If you hadn't it would have been fought by Queen Elizabeth and Eagle?

The Invincible class took longer than planned to build. Contemporary editions of Jane's Fighting Ships give the projected completion dates of the three ships as 1977-78, 1980 and 1981-82 respectively. Furthermore, they also say that the first 6 Type 42 destroyers and the 8 Type 21 frigates should have been completed by the end of 1977 with Amazon completing in May 1972 and Sheffield in July 1973. In fact Amazon was completed in May 1974, two years late and the average for the class was 20 months late. Sheffield was completed in February 1975, which was 19 months late and the average for the first 6 Type 42s was 24 months late.

IIRC from Norman Friedman in British Destroyers and Frigates didn't blame the shipyards and instead said that the late deliveries of the first 6 Type 42s on the British electronics industry that was giving priority to its export contracts.

If Friedman was correct what might have worked was having the Heath Government order the long-lead items (such as the steam catapults, machinery and electronics) in 1970 when it announced the intention to build the two ships while the necessary changes were made to the design. Queen Elizabeth would be ordered in 1973, laid down the same year and completed in 1978 or 1979. Prince of Wales would be ordered in 1976, laid down the same year and completed in 1980 or 1981.

Why did you build two ALT-CVA.01 class aircraft carriers? The money spent on Illustrious and Ark Royal between 1980 and 1985 IOTL would have gone a long way towards building a third ship. That would be a big improvement in capability ITTL as one of the two ships would be unavailable for long periods of time because it would be refitting. A force of three ships would allow for one to be immediately available and the second available at short notice. The operating costs of two ships may not have been 50% greater because one of the three ships would always be in refit/reserve which means there would only be a need for two air groups.

Riain

Banned
These are not suggestions for revisions. I'm interested in why you decided to do it the way that you did it.

ITTL you have Queen Elizabeth (ALT-CVA.01) built 1971-78 and Prince of Wales (ALT-CVA.02) built 1973-80. It would have been more logical for them to be built in place of the OTL Invincible and Illustrious. For one thing I think that the gap of one year between the Heath Government's decision to build two large aircraft carriers and the laying down of Queen Elizabeth is too small. I think the work required to change the design from a steam turbine to a gas turbine ship would have taken longer than that.

However, if had you done that the strike carriers would not have been completed until 1980 and 1982 respectively. Did you have the ships laid down in 1971 and 1973 do that so that the Royal Navy so that both ships would have been available for the Falklands War? If you hadn't it would have been fought by Queen Elizabeth and Eagle?

The Invincible class took longer than planned to build. Contemporary editions of Jane's Fighting Ships give the projected completion dates of the three ships as 1977-78, 1980 and 1981-82 respectively. Furthermore, they also say that the first 6 Type 42 destroyers and the 8 Type 21 frigates should have been completed by the end of 1977 with Amazon completing in May 1972 and Sheffield in July 1973. In fact Amazon was completed in May 1974, two years late and the average for the class was 20 months late. Sheffield was completed in February 1975, which was 19 months late and the average for the first 6 Type 42s was 24 months late.

IIRC from Norman Friedman in British Destroyers and Frigates didn't blame the shipyards and instead said that the late deliveries of the first 6 Type 42s on the British electronics industry that was giving priority to its export contracts.

If Friedman was correct what might have worked was having the Heath Government order the long-lead items (such as the steam catapults, machinery and electronics) in 1970 when it announced the intention to build the two ships while the necessary changes were made to the design. Queen Elizabeth would be ordered in 1973, laid down the same year and completed in 1978 or 1979. Prince of Wales would be ordered in 1976, laid down the same year and completed in 1980 or 1981.

Why did you build two ALT-CVA.01 class aircraft carriers? The money spent on Illustrious and Ark Royal between 1980 and 1985 IOTL would have gone a long way towards building a third ship. That would be a big improvement in capability ITTL as one of the two ships would be unavailable for long periods of time because it would be refitting. A force of three ships would allow for one to be immediately available and the second available at short notice. The operating costs of two ships may not have been 50% greater because one of the three ships would always be in refit/reserve which means there would only be a need for two air groups.

It was pretty much all political.

I had to get the first ordered as soon as practical after Heath's mid 70 election and the second ordered and a lot of stuff gathered and therefore uncancellable before the October 1973 Arab-Israeli war. I hand-waved the start with the reference to finding some long lead items from 1966 and by buying in bulk GTs, radars and other stuff.

As for CVA03, there is no way Labour minority governments are going to order it at the time of the Mason review, while buying CVA01 & 02 and Poseidon during stagflation.

I had to get the first ordered as soon as practical after Heath's mid 70 election and the second ordered and a lot of stuff gathered and therefore uncancellable before the October 1973 Arab-Israeli war. I hand-waved the start with the reference to finding some long lead items from 1966 and by buying in bulk GTs, radars and other stuff.
Fair enough.

As for CVA03, there is no way Labour minority governments are going to order it at the time of the Mason review, while buying CVA01 & 02 and Poseidon during stagflation.
I'm not convinced.

CVA.02 is built instead of Invincible. Therefore, CVA.03 if built ITTL would have taken the place of Illustrious. That is ordered in May 1976, laid down in October 1976 and completed in June 1982.

I think the minority Labour Government would have ordered a large warship from Swan Hunter in 1976 as a way of buying votes in Tyneside. Failing that it would have ordered an extra pair of Type 42s.

There is a precedent for this. IOTL the Callaghan Government ordered 2 Type 22 frigates and 2 Type 42 destroyers on 25th April 1979. I think it was no coincidence that the 1979 General Election campaign was going on at the time. That is the Vote of No Confidence was on 28th March and the General Election was on 3rd May.

Their initial order for the Type 988 radar from the Dutch had been for four units while the order for 12 Olympus engines for the carriers was batched with the 10 required for the five Type 42 destroyers also ordered in 1971.
The MoD also bought the last 5 Type 21s in 1971 increasing the number of Olympus engines ordered from 22 to 32. Therefore, the "economies of scale effect" might have been even greater.

To their credit the Dutch had continued with the development of the Broomstick radar following the British withdrawal from the project and had ordered a pair of DLGs to utilise it. The British approached the Dutch government seeking to purchase large numbers of the AN/SPS-01 3D radar for fitment to CVA01 & 02 and integration into the Type 82 DLG and Type 42 DDG.(2) The Type 42 design was also looked at, it was made smaller than hoped during design in a short-sighted effort to reduce costs, lacking the understanding that the primary driver of modern warship cost was the sensors, guided weapons system and associated control systems. All that was achieved by making the Type 42 design smaller was a reduction of the Sea Dart magazine capacity and potentially making these ships less seaworthy than the original, larger concept. With a gap between building the lead ship of the class and its sister ships due to the order from Argentina, the opportunity was taken to enlarge the design prior to ordering the next ships for the RN.(3)
  1. Pun intended
  2. IOTL Invincible class Batch 2 Type 42 were ordered in 1973 and 76 with the Type 1022 2D radar, derived from the Dutch LW-08 radar with a British antenna
  3. IOTL Batch 3 Type 42 were 50’ longer and first ordered in 1978
Are the Batch 1 & 2 Type 42s large enough to take a Type 988 radar? I think they'll have to be built with Batch 3 hulls to take the extra weight of the Type 988 because the Batch 3 Type 42 and Tromp had similar dimensions.

It might be necessary to complete Bristol with a Type 965 radar ITTL because she'd been under construction since November 1967. Her projected completion date was 1971, but she wasn't completed until March 1973. I think she would have been too far advanced to fit the Type 988 when the decision to reinstate it was made and it will have to be fitted as part of her first major refit.

Sheffield was ordered in November 1968 and laid down in January 1970. The British approach to the Dutch to buy Type 988 radars for the reinstated CVA.01 & CVA.02, Bristol and the Type 42s won't be made until after the Heath Government came to power which was 28th June 1970. Therefore, she might have been too advanced to be completed with the Batch 3 hull.

Last edited:
To their credit the Dutch had continued with the development of the Broomstick radar following the British withdrawal from the project and had ordered a pair of DLGs to utilise it. The British approached the Dutch government seeking to purchase large numbers of the AN/SPS-01 3D radar for fitment to CVA01 & 02 and integration into the Type 82 DLG and Type 42 DDG.(2) The Type 42 design was also looked at, it was made smaller than hoped during design in a short-sighted effort to reduce costs, lacking the understanding that the primary driver of modern warship cost was the sensors, guided weapons system and associated control systems. All that was achieved by making the Type 42 design smaller was a reduction of the Sea Dart magazine capacity and potentially making these ships less seaworthy than the original, larger concept. With a gap between building the lead ship of the class and its sister ships due to the order from Argentina, the opportunity was taken to enlarge the design prior to ordering the next ships for the RN.(3)
  1. Pun intended
  2. IOTL Invincible class Batch 2 Type 42 were ordered in 1973 and 76 with the Type 1022 2D radar, derived from the Dutch LW-08 radar with a British antenna
  3. IOTL Batch 3 Type 42 were 50’ longer and first ordered in 1978
AIUI the RNLN wanted a third Tromp class destroyer, but the radar was too expensive and they eventually built a pair of modified Staandard frigates instead. Hopefully, the large number of Type 988 radars built for the RN ITTL will reduce the unit cost far enough to make the third Tromp affordable.

I could easily see a third being ordered in the aftermath of the Falklands War and a Commando carrier to replace the Hermes.

Riain

Banned
Are the Batch 1 & 2 Type 42s large enough to take a Type 988 radar? I think they'll have to be built with Batch 3 hulls to take the extra weight of the Type 988 because the Batch 3 Type 42 and Tromp had similar dimensions.

It might be necessary to complete Bristol with a Type 965 radar ITTL because she'd been under construction since November 1967. Her projected completion date was 1971, but she wasn't completed until March 1973. I think she would have been too far advanced to fit the Type 988 when the decision to reinstate it was made and it will have to be fitted as part of her first major refit.

Sheffield was ordered in November 1968 and laid down in January 1970. The British approach to the Dutch to buy Type 988 radars for the reinstated CVA.01 & CVA.02, Bristol and the Type 42s won't be made until after the Heath Government came to power which was 28th June 1970. Therefore, she might have been too advanced to be completed with the Batch 3 hull.

Only the Sheffield was built to Batch 1 size, the gap between her and the rest of Batch 1 taken up by the Argentine pair was utilised to do the Batch 3 stretch and re-jig for the radar.

Fitting Type 988s to Bristol and Sheffield is a political imperative, it will be made to work because the Government deems it important and will pay for the overtime if needed. Keep in mind the Type 988 doesn't just replace the Type 965E/R but the type 922Q as well, so as big and bulky as the 988 may be it's likely smaller than the 965/922.