How should I cover wars in this timeline?

• A timeline of events

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Like the other updates

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter 1 - The search for a second Husband

Chapter 1 - The Search for a Second Wife

Archduchess Margaret of Austria, the daughter of Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian and the sister of Duke Philip Burgundy, would arrive in the Habsburg Netherlands in 1499 a widow. Margaret had been married to the heir to the Spanish Kingdoms of Castile and Aragon, Prince John. John was the son of the powerful Catholic Monarchs, Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand of Castile and Aragon. Margaret had been happily married to John and the two were deeply in love. Unfortunately only a few months into their marriage John would die while she was pregnant. Margaret would in turn give birth to their stillborn daughter a few months later. Despite her parents in-law's reluctance, her Father had forced her to send her back to the Lowlands [1].

Now in the Netherlands Margaret found herself alone and saddened at the death of her husband and the stillbirth of her daughter. As well as this her Father and brother had great difficulty in finding a match for her. Many suitable suitors were already taken, with the Duke of Savoy already being married [2], as was the King of France as well as other potential suitors. Indeed, Margaret would await years for a suitor to appear. In the meantime, her brother Philip and his wife Joanna, the sister of John, would do their best to comfort her. They even made Margaret the guardian of their daughter Eleanor in 1500.

Margaret of Austria (sis of Philip I).jpg

Margaret of Austria, circa 1500

The years would pass as Margaret spent time with her family in the lowlands until in 1504 her Father and brother received a marriage offer. This was the English King Henry VII [3]. The recently widowed King sought Margaret's hand in marriage. After several months of negotiations a marriage contract was agreed by Philip and Maximilian and Margaret agreed to marry King Henry VII. The two were married by proxy in June of 1504. The terms of the contract agreed the handing over of Yorkist claimant Edmund de la Pole to King Henry VII, a trade deal between England and Burgundy, as well as an alliance between the two and Margaret's dowry being set at 135,000 crowns. The two were set to marry in August, with Margaret spending the next few months preparing to be Henry VII's wife and as England's Queen.

Henry 7.jpg

A portrait of Henry VII sent during marriage negotiations, circa 1504

[1] Everything here is OTL
[2] Our POD, in otl the Duke of Savoy, Philibert II's wife Yolande Louise died in 1499, here she lives.
[3] In otl King Henry VII did seek to marry Margaret but following Philibert's death she refused to remarry, here she is willing to marry him.

So here's my new timeline! Feedback and criticism is welcomed!

Attachments

• Margaret of Austria (sis of Philip I).jpg
    Margaret of Austria (sis of Philip I).jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 177
Chapter 2 - The Wedding of Henry VII and Archduchess Margaret of Austria
Chapter 2 - The Wedding of King Henry VII and Archduchess Margaret of Austria

On August 4th Margaret left the Lowlands with her maid staff, dowry and Edmund de la Pole and set sail for England. Their voyage would last a week with them landing in Dover on August 11th. From there they'd march to London arriving on the 13th of August. Once there they would rest at Lambeth Palace in London. Margaret would meet her soon to be husband 3 days later on August 14th. The wedding had been scheduled to take place on August 25th, but Henry who was taken by Margaret, who reminded him of his late wife Queen Elizabeth of York, pushed the wedding closer to August 19th.

Margaret who was exhausted after her 10 day journey was annoyed and so made one request. That her one time sister in-law Catherine of Aragon be allowed attend the wedding. Henry VII was surprised at this, while he was aware of Catherine's connection to Margaret, he was not aware that the two had a close relationship. While there aren't many sources from the time explicitly stating that the two knew each other and got along well, later sources do state the two had met and were close friends [1]. Regardless Henry agreed to allow Catherine of Aragon to attend the wedding.

Catherine of aragon 1502.jpg

Catherine of Aragon as a widow, circa 1502​

After days of preparation the wedding would take place on August 19th at Westminster Abbey. Margaret wore a lavish scarlet dress and was decked with jewelry. Henry VII would a white shirt and a fine black jacket with gold lining and a badge of the Tudor Rose attached. The two took their wedding vows in front of the Archbishop of Canterbury with Prince Henry, Princess Mary, Margaret Beaufort and many noblemen in attendance. There were also Scottish diplomats sent by King James IV and Princess Margaret of England at the wedding. Once the two were married Margaret was crowned Queen of England and France [2].

From there the crowd would travel to Westminster Hall where a grand banquet was held. Songs were song, poems read and dancing done. It was a spectacular ceremony, and it was here that Margaret and Henry fell in love, Margaret and Catherine also bonded and enjoyed being reunited after not seeing each other for 5 years. There ceremony would conclude at midnight when Margaret and Henry VII traveled to their bedchambers to see their marriage consummated. With that England now had a new Queen.

[1] I am not entirely sure if Catherine and Margaret were actually friends, but Margaret did get along with her Parents in-law so it isn't unrealistic that she and Catherine would be friends.
[2] The France part is based off the Tudor claim to France.

I am not entirely sure if Catherine and Margaret were actually friends, but Margaret did get along with her Parents in-law so it isn't unrealistic that she and Catherine would be friends.
IOTL during her time in Spain, Margaret was enlisted to teach French to Catherine in preparation for her English marriage, so they definitely would've gotten to know each other a bit.

Anyways, I like it and I'm excited to see how Henry and Margaret's marriage turns out. Also wondering who Henry VIII and the elder Mary Tudor will marry ITTL. Will Margaret persuade them to keep the double match with her niece and nephew?

IOTL during her time in Spain, Margaret was enlisted to teach French to Catherine in preparation for her English marriage, so they definitely would've gotten to know each other a bit.
Really? Hadn't heard that one before. But I did suspect the two would've know each other at the least

Anyways, I like it and I'm excited to see how Henry and Margaret's marriage turns out. Also wondering who Henry VIII will marry ITTL. Perhaps Margaret will encourage him to marry her niece Eleanor instead of Catherine? And not to break Mary's engagement with Charles?
Well the whole Margaret-Catherine friendship will play a key role.
Also yes I do plan on Mary marrying Charles ittl (minor spoiler but tbh it's very likely in this scenario)

England claim to France died for two main reasons 1 the English crown got out off European affairs or more accurately Henry VIII of England may his kingdom the equivalent of North Korea. The second reason being Henry Vi of England disastrous rain and could be called the worst king in English history he may be beaten by King John the first of England.

England claim to France died for two main reasons 1 the English crown got out off European affairs or more accurately Henry VIII of England may his kingdom the equivalent of North Korea. The second reason being Henry Vi of England disastrous rain and could be called the worst king in English history he may be beaten by King John the first of England.
True, but the English still claimed to be Kings of France at this point of history, so it's still valid.

True, but the English still claimed to be Kings of France at this point of history, so it's still valid.
Very true claim can be used as a negotiation tactic which Edward III used against Philip vi of France. There was also a problem during 100 years war that since 1066 the kings of England were technically battles of the king of France.

Very true claim can be used as a negotiation tactic which Edward III used against Philip vi of France. There was also a problem during 100 years war that since 1066 the kings of England were technically battles of the king of France.
True, but the Hundred Years war is long over and even then the English still claimed to be Kings of France.

True, but the Hundred Years war is long over and even then the English still claimed to be Kings of France.
The last king of England to call themselves kings of France was King George III of England but with that stated could the Children of Henry Vii and Queen Margaret use there hasburgh connections secure some lands in France or Scotland. traditionally the kings of of England after 1066 xpanded in two direction Edward III of England chose France which lead to the destruction of the Plantagenet Dynasty the second what the British isles which Edward I of England chose to do which is more doable than conquering France.

The last king of England to call themselves kings of France was King George III of England but with that stated could the Children of Henry Vii and Queen Margaret use there hasburgh connections secure some lands in France or Scotland. traditionally the kings of of England after 1066 xpanded in two direction Edward III of England chose France which lead to the destruction of the Plantagenet Dynasty the second what the British isles which Edward I of England chose to do which is more doable than conquering France.
Not 100% sure. I don't plan on much happening plus the children of Henry VII and Margaret aren't the heirs to England, that's Henry. Gaining land is Scotland is likely but the King of Scotland is married to Margaret Tudor, Henry VII's daughter so until the situation changes there they won't be gaining any land there.

Not 100% sure. I don't plan on much happening plus the children of Henry VII and Margaret aren't the heirs to England, that's Henry. Gaining land is Scotland is likely but the King of Scotland is married to Margaret Tudor, Henry VII's daughter so until the situation changes there they won't be gaining any land there.
I do believe that Henry VIII wanted to have his son Edward Vi Mary Mary Queen of Scots

Another is that the Jacobite claimants have claims to the majority of the fiefs of France and they are the female line descendants of the last Valois kings of France.