A Second Vice President

• Thread starter Deleted member 109224
  • Start date

Deleted member 109224

In 1955, former President Herbert Hoover completed a review—his second—of executive-branch efficiency and suggested the addition of an administrative vice president to help the overloaded president.

What if the United States in this period opted for constitutional reform that established a Second Vice President?

A procedure would have to be established which determined which VP would ascend to the Presidency in the event of Presidential incapacitation.

A procedure would have to be established which determined which VP would ascend to the Presidency in the event of Presidential incapacitation.

That would be easy: Call the second one "Assistant Vice president" or something like that. IMVHO, it would be much better not doing anything like that, but keeping things the way they are.

There were various proposals before the 25th Amendment to solve the problem of presidential succession in the event of a vacancy in the vice-presidency (it was noted that after 1954 the next in line after Eisenhower and Nixon was Speaker Rayburn, and some thought it wrong that a double vacancy in the presidency and vice-presidency could lead to a president of a different party without a new election). Some of the proposed solutions would require a constitutional amendment, but one would not: to create a new office (sometimes called the Deputy President or First Secretary) who would assist the president while being next to the vice-president in the line of succession.

I had a soc.history.what-if post which now seems lost but part of which I quoted here (I think this is a direct quote from a book):

"The Rockefeller and McCarthy proposals are constitutionally sound. This is because Congress has the power to create an office of First Secretary or Deputy President under the Necessary and Proper Clause of the Constitution, and the power to invest the occupant with a place in the line of succession under the succession provision. But Congress could not, by statute, give such an office the power to preside over the Senate (this is the exclusive duty of the Vice-President or, in his absence, the
President pro tempore). And the method of filling the office is limited: appointment by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, as in the case of any other executive appointment." https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...g-a-vp-vacancy-pre-1967.403862/#post-13651300

This, it seems to me, has better chances of passing that the creation of an actual "second vice-president" which would require a constitutional amendment. IIRC, Vice President Nixon was not happy about any of these proposals, feeling that the vice-presidency was too weak as it was, and creating a second vice-president, whatever the official title, would only weaken it more.

Apparently Hoover's idea was to create "an office of 'Administrative Vice President of the US.' He was to be appointed by the president, confirmed by the Senate. He was not to be an elected official. [I do not know whether he was to be in the line of succession, but probably not because from the description his tasks would be purely technical and routine--e.g., 'approving concert tours for armed services bands!'--DT]. President Eisenhower does not favor use of the title 'vice president.' That office has a constitutional function which the president says should be unchanged." https://news.google.com/newspapers?...aAcsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=e8gEAAAAIBAJ&pg=708,2192714 In short, this would be a vice presidency in name only--and even the name was obviously objectionable to both Ike and Nixon.

In 1955, former President Herbert Hoover completed a review—his second—of executive-branch efficiency and suggested the addition of an administrative vice president to help the overloaded president.

What if the United States in this period opted for constitutional reform that established a Second Vice President?

One thing that comes to mind if such a reform is implemented is that we won’t see the emergence of the White House Chief of Staff’s position and the power that that position would come to hold. An “administrative” position to help with job “overload” sounds a lot like the Chief of Staff’s position.

Many South American countries have a First and a Second Vice-President in their succession lines.
The existence of a Second VP could slow the approvation of 25th Amendament, so in 1974 he will succeed to Nixon, as First VP Agnew resigned.
Who could be Nixon's Second VP?

Deleted member 109224

One thing that comes to mind if such a reform is implemented is that we won’t see the emergence of the White House Chief of Staff’s position and the power that that position would come to hold. An “administrative” position to help with job “overload” sounds a lot like the Chief of Staff’s position.

Potentially, although given how large the Executive Branch is I could see the Chief of Staff position emerging anyways.

Many South American countries have a First and a Second Vice-President in their succession lines.
The existence of a Second VP could slow the approvation of 25th Amendament, so in 1974 he will succeed to Nixon, as First VP Agnew resigned.
Who could be Nixon's Second VP?

Reagan? Connolly? Brooke?

Regarding the 25th amendment, if they're already amending the constitution for the purpose of establishing the second Vice-Presidency, I don't see why the OTL 25th amendment couldn't end up bundled into that.

Last edited by a moderator: